“You get what you pay for!”

Hotel Gloriana & Spa
Ranked #45 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed January 11, 2011

I stayed at Hotel Gloriana Dec. 30- Jan. 9, 2011. The hotel is next to the airport and when first arrivied I was afraid to walk in the door. Well honestly I guess I was expecting too much when booking this place and it was out dated and dark around the lobby and reception area. The female on the front desk was friendly and let me choose my room. The first two rooms I was shown were on the bottom floor of the hotel and they were dark and outdated with carpet and bed sheets that they must have been bought when the hotel first opened in 1994. The third room I was shown was on the second floor over looking the pool which didn`t have carpet thankfully and was very small but better then the first two. The air conditioning works really good in the rooms and most of the time we had to turn it off because it got too cold. If your a person who likes to take hot baths good luck sometimes the hot water wouldn`t work and just dripped and I would have to run it for atleast an hour to half fill the tub but the cold ran fine. The people who worked at the hotel were friendly especially Steve who helps brings your things to your room. The hotel has security 24 hours and I felt safe staying there in the day and at night. This hotel is walking distance from local shops and clubs and I felt safe walking by myself in the Montego Bay area especially since local police walk the streets in tourist areas. The hotel has a restaurant with local food price ranging from $7 US to $30 but if you go across the street to either the veggie place or the place in front of the police station you can get local food (Curry, pork, liver, chicken, etc.) for approx. $2.50- $3.50 US. The bar at the hotel was only opened until 10 pm every night with drinks $3.00- and up (strawberry daiquirie $7 US) but if you walk a short distance down the street liquor is cheap $10 US a 750ml bottle of rum. The phone in the rooms only could call room to room, front desk and room service if you wanted to call home you had to use the phone in the dark so called lobby with a calling card.The whole ten days of my stay there was no entertainment and when asking about entertainment I was told they never had it in a long time so after 10 pm there is nothing to do. My overall experience of Gloriana was they need to renovate and upgrade this place but the staff was friendly and helpful. Try not to compare this hotel to a resort or a 5 star hotel and you will be fine. If your just looking for a cheap place to stay to party at local clubs and sleep this place is fine. But if your expecting to have a beautiful place on the beach with lots of entertainment and you plan to just stay on the resort all the time you will be unhappy because nothing goes on here just great weather and a pool which isn`t great either. I honestly would stay at this place again because it was cheaper than most places ($55 a night) and I usually would go out to see more of the island and didn`t stay at the hotel all day long. I would recommend this place only if your on a budget and just want to go to Jamaica and you don`t care about a 5 star experience and just remember you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank 1angie1

Reviewed January 3, 2011

If you are expecting a spotless room, do not stay here. We looked at at least 3 different rooms and all had hairs either in the bedsheets or in the sinks, table, etc and was pretty gross. The decor is very out-dated but the rooms aren't all that bad... I guess you get what you pay for. The front desk staff wasn't the greatest (it was my boyfriend and mine's birthday and they wouldn't give us a fridge to put or birthday cake in or any special treatment) but I feel very bad for the "behind-the-scenes" staff. One of the guys they sent up to fix the TV said he's not allowed to 'stray' for even a minute and the staff mostly get treated pretty badly as you can probably see from their depressed faces. Anyway, this place is dirty but average for the price.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank emlolly
Eugennie M, Manager at Hotel Gloriana & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2015

We have just gone through a series of refurbishing and have some new and upgrade rooms you can check it out on our website hotelgloriana.net or on our facebook page Hotel Gloriana.Thank you for making Hotel Gloriana your home away from home. We will be having a huge special on our room rates for this Christmas which starts now with walk-in rates at US $46.00 and reserved room at $57.00 and $70.00 per night so we are looking forward to seeing you.

Reviewed October 22, 2010

Im wondering if the owner of gloriana view the internet to see the reviews what people have to say about the hotel. Sorrry but I will never go back there again because first I dont like roaches and there are many at gloriana the pillows are too hard and smelly the hotel needs proper mattresses. I know miss g is trying to change out a few windows and replace the hot tub but mattresses, pillows, shower curtains and mold on the bathroom tile on the wall needs attention they are the least to replace in the hotel. also repellant pesticides are the least to put into the rooms for roaches I hate those insects with a passion. I will visit gloriana again if something is done about the roaches. To Miss Gloriana appreciate ur guest because I know you are aware of these problems but are ignoring them. Some of us are not use to seeing these roaches they are everywhere but not in my house.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank bubble025

Reviewed August 28, 2010

Miss G needs to get a Supervisor for the Housekeepers,someone who goes behind them to inspect the rooms after( they so called clean) them.!.Please spray some Bleach between the pipes,to take the Yuk out,and take the stains out of the Toilet,and let them be white.Thats not too much to ask.Wash the face basins thoroughly and make them clean. I stayed there for 2 wks and wanted to leave a 20 dollars tip for the Housekeeper,but my basin was so yukky, and the toilet was so stained, i just could not!!!!!! all they do is make the beds and spray the room with air freshner. Otherwise, the food is good,atmosphere is good,location is good,front desk ploite,kitchen staff is good.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business

Reviewed August 27, 2010

I have to stayed at this hotel..its a good bargain hotel. It's location is next to hip street and most of all the service at the hotel is very friendly and know for its great hospitality.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 8, 2010

I want to tell everyone, this hotel is a great bargain if you are on a budget and want to enjoy Jamaica. The best rooms in my opinion are the suites, which are located just above the enterence of the hotel. The rooms have a nice sized balcony, the rooms are spacious(with a queen and twin bed in the same room), a nice sized flat screen tv, a refridgerator, and a clean bathroom. The closets and drawer spaces are not modern, however, they serve its purpose and nothing happened to my belongings.

The other rooms in the hotel, unless you get a room at the bottom near the pool, are too far away from the front lobby. The new wing is located in the back, which the rooms i have no idea how they are, they are just too far, and it is too dark back there for my safety. Trust me, ask for the suite rooms, which adds up to $71 dollars a nite.

The draw back to this hotel...the owner has not attached an inclusive rate or a meal plan for travelers staying beyond 5 or 6 days. I tell you this...eating breakfast and paying $10 each morning, and from $10-$13 dollars for dinner will add uo fast. A nice guy in the hotel found a cheaper place to get dinner each nite, which is right across the street at this blue dome looking place...that is where the police department is located, and this is where you can get great meals for $6.00 U.S. The Jamaican food and the American dishes at the hotel is great, especially the coffee and tea, however, do try the cheaper grub across the street.

What i didn't like was the stroll to the hip strip and to Dead End Beach. This hotel is a hike from the main street. On foot, i am estimating a good 15 minute walk, unless it rains and you have to go for cover. The hotel has a van, however, i did not use it, because it wasn't free for guests. There is a small convenience store to get drinks, cookies, chips, and other items to snack on....and there is also a resturante not associated with the hotel that is too high for any sensible person to eat.....so you are forced to walk on the road to town. I would not recommend this hotel if you have health problems, as you have to climb stairs in this hotel...upstairs to the best rooms, and lower level to get to the pool access, internet access, to eat, and to get to the other lower level rooms in the hotel.
Ms. Gloriana has an excellent way to save money on the telephones...she has a public phone near the internet room. All you need to do is purchase a $3.00 U.S. calling card to make calls to the U.S. or to the U.K. I was able to make three short calls and use the 15 minutes allotted, which isn't bad. Howver, there is a big need for the owner to relocate the phones for privacy as everyone is waiting to use this one phone that is working...and don't think for a minute they are not listening to your calls. Not cool at all. I do not know why you cannot use the calling cards from your room phone....go figure. Can you imagine taking two flights of stairs down to the main floor to make a call at nite? Not cool.

The internet room is fine. There are two working computers and the hotel charges $5.00 U.S. dollars for thirty minutes. Not bad at all. I never had a problem accessing the room.

The Maids are great....tip them please because they do great work cleaning the rooms and beleive this or not, some of the guests do not tip. I was not happy to hear that. $2.00 U. S per day is a great staple to a Maid as she can purchase food for her family, and catch a cab home.

This hotel is not decrete when it comes to paying in cash. I paid for ten nites in cash and had to give the Receptionist the money in front of strangers, which is dangerous. You do not give large cash like that with people standing around...especially in Jamaica. The hotel doesn't allow you to wire or pay with a credit card in advance, so it is important to hand all cash in an envelope and let the Receptionist deal with it. I just think personally they can improve this matter so folks can feel safe with their transactions.

There is great music played at the hotel, nice pool, however, the jaquizzi was down when i was there. I did not get a chance to go to the bar because the men were sitting there most of the time. I do recommend for any traveler to bring an electric water boiler so you can save money and make instant coffee or tea at nite, and bring your own comfy snacks from home to save money, cause the snacks in the little market next door were over priced.

It is also true....the hotel doesn't allow visitors after 9:00pm. Howver, my rasta boyfriend came to see me one nite and the guards let him through. I think if you are cool with the guards, you can do anything(smile).

I probably won't stay at this hotel again, as i like being close to the entertainment, and there are other great hotels with minimal restrictions. Also...no meal plans for extended travelers.

I will recommend this hotel for security, great food, and the bargain suite rooms with a balcony for only $71 U.S. per nite.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank beebeejagurl

Reviewed August 6, 2010

Over the past 7 years I have stayed at the Gloriana at least 3 times a year. It is not the price because I could easily afford to say at any hotel in Jamaica, it is the bonding friendship I have with the staff over the years that has me coming back. It also has the beach right around the block as well as places to go out and party if that's what you choose to do. There is even a casino in the area you might like. Getting free internet if you have your laptop is a great asset

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple