We stayed at the Decameron from Dec 18-26/09.
Checkin Service - We had a crowded shuttle, expecting a long wait, that was not the case at all, went smooth with no complaints.
Rooms - We stayed in the old part of the hotel Room#11, I liked this area because it was very quiet. Rooms was large, high ceilings. Furniture is outdated, but really it didn't matter to us! Bed was comfortable, but the pillows were hard, sheets were fresh and clean everyday. Air conditioner was turned on when we first checked in, worked the entire time with no problems. The Bathroom was large. Shower area was a perfect size, closet was also located in there. The only complaint that I would have about the bathroom was the consistency of the water during my showers. The perfect time to have a shower is before 730am. The water turned cold after 5 mins, lasts between 45 sec to 2 mins~! If you can shower late at night or early morning, you probably would not encounter this problem. It became rather annoying! The TV sound was distorted, but hey I was not there to watch TV~ Power went out a couple of times. Safe was broken, but we didn't need it. The housekeeping staff were always courteous, carefully moved our stuff around their cleaning. We left money, misc valuables, $3000 camera equipment, etc laying around, nothing went missing, never did I question if anything did!
Grounds - There was always staff painting, sweeping, laying flooring, and misc upkeep the entire time we were there~! Hotel is older, but the simple upgrades made it extremely comfortable. I was never inconvenienced by anyone.
Food/Bar/Grill/a la carte/ - The Food is to die for!~ Salad Bar was great, lots of variety, fresh fruit, yummy salads. Different theme every night we were there, Jamaican Night was the best =). Huge variety at all meals, Omelets, Sandwich station, Grill at back were my favs! The A la Carte - book your reservations early in the day, 2 seating times (630/830). Good Service, quiet, nice variety of means (try the ribs), fish was over cooked, but I am picky when it comes to cooking fish~! Wine isn't the greatest, but again I am picky. Very intimate and worth going a couple of times! Beach Grill - is great, especially if you are hungry between meals! Open until 12, good service, food ok, but hey its the basics! Hamburgers, Hotdogs, Fries etc...TIP - Red Stripe on Tap, Pop machine. Good for a quick drink if your at the far left beach. Bar Service - I MISS YOU Keimeisha (aka Fluffy). TIP these ppl! They work for $50 a week! I can't say enough about the service, gets busy after dinner, try the lobby bar if you want quick service! Pool Bar - great especially after a long day in the sun and you want to cool off, Closes at 5 =(
All the serving staff were great - never bad service (only when buffet is busy, can wait for drinks, coffee etc). Chevroy was the best waiter!~ again TIP these ppl. 500 Jay is only about 6.50! Get lower denominations~! They will treat you like Gold and remember what you like to drink and will hand you another one before you even ask for it!
Entertainment - great shows, more for adults. Marva, Sunshine, Zulu, Chris, Orlando, Natasha, all great! If your plan is to relax on the middle beach area, don't be surprised to find one of these staff pulling you in for an activity in the pool, relay races etc. Its fun if you do it a couple of times. Glitters is fun, Orlando is the better DJ and takes requests!
Beach - Not bad, get your places early! Leave your towels draped over your spots! Good swimming, I enjoyed the left beach the best - its quiet and not a lot of ppl there! If you sit waist high in the water, fish swim around you. Floating docks are great too! Water temp - its like a bath! Warm, refreshing. You can't walk on the beach after dark, Jelly fish are a big problem at night!
Security - Impressed with this! Front gate is guarded, entire grounds are monitored 24hours a day, Guests have to log in and out. Always someone around.
Misc - lots to do on this resort! Gym is moderate, didn't try the tennis courts, sort of tucked away!
Location/Locals - We walked around for a bit on the first day and visited some stores, markets. Vendors are pushy, make a deal with them, every stand is the same, they will follow you until your ready to go in there store. If your not interested a simple no thanks is sufficient. Take a JUTA taxi - we rented a taxi for $180US for 4 ppl, went to Dunns River Falls, Bob Marley Museum. WORTH it - he brought a cooler, let us pretty much do what we wanted. It was an 8 hour trip....more than reasonable. If maryjane isn't your thing, you will notice A LOT of ppl selling, haggling you for it. Again just say no, if they persist say "respect".....
Overall Impression - This hotel was great, perfect for couples, singles, group of friends, parents with teens, not really designed for small kids, say 6 and under. I would go back to this little Gem in a heart beat! I miss it already! 7 days is a good time frame, but 10 would be perfect. Stay at this resort you will NOT be disappointed
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located five minutes away from Montego Bay International Airport near the commercial district and the Hip Strip, Royal Decameron Montego Beach is a beachfront property on white sandy beaches with crystal clear waters. Its facilities and ensure a relaxing holiday environment. This hotel has two restaurants, PassaPassa and Souk, where you can enjoy different international and regional dishes. During the day, you can partake in different recreational activities including dance lessons, aerobics and non-motorized water sports like kayaks, sailboats and diving lessons in the pool. In the evenings, enjoy our shows and dance till you drop at the disco of the Royal Decameron Montego Beach hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cancelon, HotelsforEveryone, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Royal Decameron Montego Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jack Tar Village
- Royal Decameron Montego Beach Bay
- Royal Decameron Jamaica
- Royal Decameron Montego Beach Hotel
- Royal Decameron Montego Bay Jamaica
- Montego Beach
- Decameron Montego Bay
- Royal Decameron Montego Beach All Inclusive