“simply amazing!!”

Royal Decameron Montego Beach
Ranked #22 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
“simply amazing!!”
Reviewed November 30, 2005

After having read many reviews of hotels in the area, myself and five of my girlfriends decided on staying at the Royal Decameron. From the minute we arrived, we were blown away by the beauty and cleanliness of the hotel. Everything is right on the water, bright colors, fun music and friendly staff.

We spent 5 days hanging out by the pool, on the beach and on the water trampolines. I must say this hotel is a 4.5 star hotel in a 3 starred rating disguise. Everyone was friendly and the food was wonderful. I have always heard bad things about food at all inclusives but I must say the variety and quality was excellent.

The daytime entertainment was a lot of fun and the staff made it easy and desirable to take part in activities like jamaican dance contests with the natives (wow) and water balloon wars. The free water sports was a definite perk too.

The bartenders were great and played upbeat music. The drinks are strong and all very good - we didnt have any problems with them filling up larger glasses or repeatedly serving us all day long either!

In particular, the manager, Victor was a complete doll and made sure we were all comfortable and well taken care of the entire trip. If you have any problems, ask for him and he will take care of you.

The only improvements I found to be needed were the nightclub Glitter and some of the nightime entertainment (the fashion show is great). Also, if you leave the hotel premises, you WILL get harrassed. Just say no firmly and keep walking -- they will leave you alone. Also, if your looking for a spring break type of atmosphere, Royal Decameron is more laid back although you can make a party if you want :)

I must say for the amount of money we paid we were not expecting much but this hotel exceeded ALL expectations and we had a complete blast. I would go again tomorrow if I could.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

• Stayed October 2005
32 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (683)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed November 27, 2005

We just got back from spending the week at RDMB. After reading all of the other reviews, I think I had expectations that were too high for this place. This was our fourth visit to Jamaica, but the worst “3 Star” place we’ve stayed at. If the Half Moon is considered 5 star, and the Riu we stayed at in Negril is considered 3-4 star, this place is about a 2.5.

On the positive, Patrick (the lobby bartender) is great. If he is not busy, ask him to make a “Bob Marley” shot. It comes in pretty colored layers and you drink it through a straw while it is on fire. Andreen (yes, I remembered your name and Capricorn sign in case you check this review like you said) at the front desk was the friendliest and had a pretty smile (especially if you ask about her baby). The place has a nice water view, although it got pretty messed up last week, exposing lots of the sandbags, from all the wind and rain we had. The nightly entertainment was good; especially on Monday night when the guy from Margaritaville came. The Friday night dinner was good, with the jerk chicken (watch out for the yellow and red stuff you can spoon on, it is pure HOT scotch bonnet peppers). Most of the male waiters in the dining area were helpful. There was never a long wait at the late serving at the Souk restaurant, because there was only a half dozen or so tables with people. That restaurant had the better salad bar with marinated vegetables, but the food really wasn’t that great and the menu never changes. The buffet restaurant had pasta and banana bread that was consistently good. Tip-bring an insulated cooler if you want to take coffee to your room; but ask and tip one of the guys because Robin asked 2 girls and waited 15 minutes and just got ignored. Also, be sure to follow everyone’s tip about the insulated cups because it is a drag when they only have one bartender serving 10 people and you wait quite a while to get just a small Dixie cup. I bought an insulated cup that flared out at the bottom and it worked well.

On the negative, a lot of what was served in the dining room was only so-so. They had a lot of food, so you didn’t go hungry, but most of it just wasn’t very good. And, most of the girls in the dining room were not friendly or helpful- they just mumbled or ignored you. We have grown accustomed to the “No Problem” philosophy, even if the service was slow (on American pace), with most of the workers being friendly. However, at RDMB, there were too many “Policies” and rules. You would hear “No” more than “No Problem”. On my comment sheet I left for them at checkout, I included:

-No getting rest in the room without ear plugs from the rattling A/C. Even then, moving the thermostat one degree changed the room temp 5-10 degrees. It was either warm and damp or freezing cold. We were on the top floor (room 402) and the bathroom ceiling leaked. Hot water comes and goes. Hopefully, you will not end up getting sick with a sinus infection/cold like I did!
-No, don’t leave your muffin or anything else on your bedroom tables. You will quickly have 50 small “sugar” ants on it. They are everywhere (toothbrushes, cups, suitcases, etc.)!
-No getting food while in bathing suit at lunch. No you cannot take the food out to the tables in the sun. No you cannot take the plate to the room (when I was sick) without grief.
-No getting Bloody Mary’s for 2 days because they were out of tomato juice. No you can’t get a Bloody Mary from the bar that DID have tomato juice because they didn’t open until 11. No you can’t have a drink at that bar at 11:05, even though they’ve been standing there for 30 minutes because “it’s not 11 according to MY watch, and that’s what counts”.
-No, you cannot get a second order of wings from the grill because “we must ration them through the afternoon”.
-No, you can’t get a 2nd cushioned chair like there is in other rooms, even after asking twice.
-No, you will not find out they have better alcohol such as Jack Daniels unless you’ve been tipping well or someone told you.
-No, don’t bring kids because there is almost nobody for them to play with.
-No, don’t come without a partner. The one girl we met whose friend abandoned her was VERY bored during the week.
-No eating at Souk unless your shirt has sleeves (one of the guys we met found that out the hard way). No, you cannot go into that restaurant until they say it is 8:30. They can bring you a beer, but NO, they cannot bring you a mixed drink from the same bar.
-No, you cannot use your $2 phone card until you pay a $3 connection fee for EACH call and leave a $20 deposit.
-No, you better not rush to get into the elevator because it closed back and clobbered me once after it had only opened half way. It does not have a sensor, so IT WILL close on you. Also, be careful getting in or out because the floor doesn’t line up right so you will trip a few times. And, Robin got scared when she got trapped in it once.

A lot of these things are petty, but after a while it adds up! I started to wonder why the Managers wanted their workers to be so unhelpful? Even after I had to tip the other lobby bartender (Darren?) $10 to borrow 4 glasses for an hour, he still had an unfriendly attitude.

We did have fun going to Margaritaville twice. And, we also went to the “Pork Pit” twice. We had jerk chicken and ribs for our Thanksgiving lunch, which was good.

We also ate at the Pelican Grill for Thanksgiving dinner. They had good food, but the atmosphere was more like a Denny’s. Be sure to ask about the cab fare, because it seems like it is a minimum of $10 (and I heard someone forgot to ask and got charged $45) to go anywhere, even to go a mile down the road.

We had been recommended by a guide we used in Ocho Rios (Peat Taylor) to contact Derek Gayle (----, ------) as a guide. The first time we met him outside the resort gate was a bad experience, because a decently dressed drug dealer named Tony that stands out there A LOT said he was Derek’s friend and jumped in the bus with us. Also, another guy got in the bus and starts tying bracelets, until he realized he wasn’t going to get paid and then he untied it and took it off. It was VERY unsettling as we drove down the street in the dark with this guy we didn’t know to the deadend to talk about a possible tour. The next day, Derek called me and apologized about the confusion. I had said I wanted “the 3 of us” to talk, meaning Derek and not wanting the pushy drug dealer on the bus and Derek thought that meant we had befriended Tony and wanted him to come along. Derek convinced me that those were not his friends or associates, and that he was a respectable tour operator. He won’t even drink if he is going to be driving passengers, which is good because we went through some NARROW streets and dangerous roads crossing the country.

We did not find anyone else who wanted to go to the south coast (the area we had never been to before) on Friday, so just the 2 of us went on Derek’s 20 person bus to the Black River to visit the crocodiles. We also stopped at his daughter’s kindergarten class to drop off candy (and toothbrushes), pens, colored pencils, and various school supplies. Robin is a public elementary school teacher, so she enjoys meeting the kids. Each SMALL classroom had FORTY kids. They all wore uniforms so you cannot tell which family has money and which is very poor, and they were well-mannered and very appreciative. We also stopped at their grocery store where I filled the cart with various hot sauces to bring back. After taking the pontoon boat ride, we went by the YS falls and down bamboo alley. Then, it was back through all of the winding roads and into a traffic jam as we entered Mo Bay on a Friday night. It was good to get back past our security guard and back into the all-inclusive resort. The excursion through their POOR country reminded us of how thankful we should be during our Thanksgiving trip!

Derek offered to give us a complementary ride to the airport. As promised (another trait I like about Jamaicans), he arrived at 12. I thought we were doing good getting to the airport 2 hours before the flight, but we still ended up getting pulled out of the security line at the last minute (we were in that line for an hour and a half) so that we didn’t miss the flight. If you travel during a busy time, I’d recommend at least 2 and a half hours.

Overall, Mo Bay was ok. I had hoped we could see the beautiful sunsets like we had in Negril, but that did not happen (there are hills in the way). It is one of the lesser attractive coastal areas in the country. It was nice to only having a few minute bus ride instead of a couple of hours to get to the airport. The RCMD is also just ok; if you just want a pretty cheap place to stay between going on trips and want to eat out at a lot of restaurants in the area. The “Hip Strip” outside the gate is pretty ridiculous; we walked it 3 times and it was almost a game to guess how many times we would be asked if we were ok or needed drugs. Andy, the owner at Nicholes, will quickly give you better prices if you mention you read his name on the Internet. If you were looking for drugs, that would be “no problem” since they had a drug dealer right there in the resort IN THE WATER at the trampolines thinking I needed hash to make my day more enjoyable. It can be uncomfortable having drug dealers run across the street at you right outside the gate, but they have quite a few police officers in the area so it was never too bad.

If this resort wants to get better, they are going to have to get some different friendlier staff (especially the girls, with the exception of the female bartenders and the nice girl at the water sports building), change/eliminate many of their silly “policies”, and get/make better food. I don’t need fancy food served on fine china, but it is ridiculous to have as an example 8 different breads and 6 of them are dry and not very tasty. They always had lots of food, but most of it you would just take one bite and the rest would get thrown out. I heard that “so so” comment from numerous people we spoke to while we were there. I’d suggest spending a few more dollars and going to a place that really is “all inclusive”, if that is the type of no-hassle vacation you are looking for. The Riu in Negril, for example, was not much more money and had a fully stocked refrigerator and liquor choices in the room. And, for just about whatever you asked, it was “No Problem, Mon”!

I appreciate the reviews and tips that others on this site provided, and that is why I’m taking the time to also give my honest opinion. If you have any questions, please ask and I’ll try to help. Enjoy your vacation; it’s better than being back at the office, wherever you decide to go! Floyd

22 Thank Floydf
NJ
Reviewed November 20, 2005

We stayed at the RDMB from 11/11-11/18. We had a great time. Everything was great. The staff there were so friendly and remembered you. The bartenders were great and remembered your drinks. They were not stingy on the liquor either, which is always a plus. Don’t forget to bring you travel mugs....it helps a lot if you are laying out on the beach, and don’t feel like getting up constantly for a refill. The food was really good. It does get a little repetitive, but I never found it a problem. The bread is soo good! We ate at the a la carte restaurant one night...but we didn’t really find anything spectacular about it, and preferred the buffet a lot more. The beach grill was great. They have pizza made to order, burgers, hotdogs & fries! We didn’t have pizza but everything else was great. The rooms are spacious...a little damp, but if you open you balcony doors and have the ceiling fan on in late afternoon...its great! The water trampolines are fun, esp. after a few rounds at the bar. We went kayaking, played ping pong and basketball. We paid $12 for a boat to take us out to go snorkeling...make sure you bring a lot of bread. My bf took a little piece thinking it would be enough for the both of us, we were wrong. He said the minute he got in the water the fish were all over him. Every night there is some form of nightly entertainment, which was always interesting. The entertainment staff worked their butts off. They took us out to Margaritaville on Monday and I believe Coral Cliff on Thursdays ( we didn’t go on Thursday). They also have their own club called Glitter. It was nice...a mix of all types of music...and the drinks still flow freely, and you can tell that by watching some of the people. We had a great time, there are only a few thing I would complain about, and that would be 1. the 1st night we complained our AC was not working when we went out to dinner, when we got back it was working. However the next day we went to turn it back on and it was not working & also, we found out you were suppose to have more than the 13 channels on the TV than we had. We complained before dinner, and we got back nothing. We called again and was told he was on his way up, nothing. Finally around midnight my BF went downstairs and complained and we had someone come up right away. 2.Twds the end of the trip, we had an ant infestation in the bathroom, we thought we fixed it by putting everything in zip lock bags...and throwing out the tums...but as we were packing to leave we noticed they made the way to the top of the armoire. 3. If you take a long shower, the water will lose pressure and turn cold a few times throughout your shower, but only for a few seconds. So, to sum it up, for the amount of money you spend on this resort you are getting your money's worth and more. My BF wants to go back again next year...and I don't think I will be objecting.

12 Thank Dawn A
chicago IL
Reviewed November 20, 2005

Hi Everyone , we just got back from our vacation in Montego Bay , I was a little sceptical about staying in Montego B., but I didn't want to drive for 3 hours to Ochio R. . We've stayed at Royal Decameron and we were pleasently surprised . Hotel was pretty clean , food was good , not super fancy but the price was fenomenal so I didn't expect **** restaurants . The staff at the resort; I can't say enough good things about them , friendly , helpful fun to be around . Nightly entertainment was pretty good . We were just a few blocks from Doctor's Cave beach and there wasn't that much difference between their beach and the one at the hotel. Walking distance to restaurants and stores , although you have to say " no, thank you " quite a lot so we took a cab a couple of times . I would recomand river rafting , nice , romantic , we got lucky to be there off season , so no one was trying to sell us anything like some of the reviews I've read . Overall great value for the money and I would deffinietly recomend it !!!

12 Thank blueeyes-kj
Reviewed November 17, 2005

Gonna make this a very honest review with no bias. Will include the great, to the good, to the not so good. Hope it might help some of you make a vacation choice that you're really satisfied with.

This will probably be quite lengthy but hopefully, very informative, and one of the better reviews on this site, so please bear with me ;-)

Keep in mind that my Mom and Step-Dad have been regularly vacationing at this exact resort for nearly 30 years and throughout all the ownership changes, so I have a LOT of knowledge about it, even though this was my wife's and my first visit here.

Overview:
For the savings you realize by staying at RDMB, you will absolutely be getting a fantastic deal and a wonderful Jamaican experience by staying here. There are some minor drawbacks, but for folks wanting to have a great get-away to Jamaica for a steal compared to other area resorts, this is the place to stay.

Staff: You get back what you put forth. You MUST keep in mind while visiting Jamaica that the culture is infinitely more relaxed and laid back than other places and will not immediately jump on a request. But if you are kind, polite and respective, I can guarantee that you will not only be helped, and your problem solved with a smile, but that person will probably continue to go out of their way to assist you for the rest of your stay.

Rooms: Though nearly all the rooms have recently been renovated, they are still basically "Motel 6" quality rooms, but very clean and comfortable. We went down with 8 people and every one of us had rooms where the AC would actually get down to 50 degrees F.! Being cool in the room is an understatement - and I'm from Texas and very HOT natured.

We didn't expect luxury accommodations since our trip was meant to delve into and absorb the beautiful surroundings, but there are quite a few minor issues in a lot of the rooms. Some of ours: Shower water turned ice cold when someone on another floor flushed the toilet, Room safe was broken and not repairable, TV reception was horrible and the initial remote was broken and Duck taped together (they fixed that), no tissues in the room, no phone books, deposit required at the front desk for even local calls.

But this is minor stuff guys. When we came in from a great day of fun, we slept safely and comfortably. We didn't go there to bask in Espresso machines in our room.

Hotel Staff: Good. Maids: Great. Bartenders: Fun, funny, and excellent. Restaurant staff: Poor to good, but if you're in the buffet, you only have to get up and walk 10 feet to get yourself some more butter or water, so no big deal.

Food: Lots of variety and good when you first get there, but they tend to add the same spices to EVERYTHING, and after a few days everything kind of starts tasting the same. The omelet and egg guys and gals for breakfast are FANTASTIC and artists at doing eggs. Don't miss out on that. Their breakfast juices absolutely suck. (Sugar water and flavoring) Stick with milk, water, and coffee. The home-made bread choices are wonderful.

Salad bar is great. My wife and I went to Souk several times, and we personally felt that they were over rated. Fun to try a few times, but we preferred the more ample selection of the buffet.

Water and Grounds: They are still trying to rebuild from the last hurricane that hit, so you will presently find a lot of construction and some of the piers and beaches closed. There are still plenty of places to enjoy the water though. The water is a very beautiful clear blue to azure, but not nearly as clear as Cozumel type water. There is also quite a bit of trash in the roped off swimming areas, and sometimes broken glass too, so be very careful. For a little money though, you can take a snorkel boat out a little farther and find some pristine areas.

Night Time Entertainment: This really sucks and I spoke to the Manager about it. They are trying to correct it. They were basically on stage singing Disney type tunes from the "Little Mermaid" soundtrack every night. EVERYONE talked about how horrible it was. But you can always go into town or to Margaritaville for some quality fun.

Outside the Resort Grounds: We had a GREAT time walking and exploring Mo Bay, but let me warn you that this is not for the faint of heart or people who can't say NO! If you are on the timid side, but still want to explore, just walk out the main gate and talk to one of the "sharks" across the street. Tell them you will give them $5 or $10 to walk with you and keep all the other "hawkers" away from you. Maybe even offer to buy him a pizza from the local Pizza Hut or a burger from Burger King up the street. I promise you that he will take care of all your "dirty work" for you, and you will not have a problem. LOL

Synopsis: I could continue on forever with details, but let me assure you that if you are young, old, married, single, or just hungry for a great get away, this place provides more bang for your buck than anywhere you can go in the world. If you're on a budget like most people and want to have a great time and experience, book your next trip at RDMB.

Cheers to your first drink with Juan or Simone at the bar!

Rick E. (Texas)

40 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Woodbridge, New Jersey
Reviewed November 13, 2005

We just returned from the Royal DeCameron Montego Bay 2 days ago November 12, 2005 and we can't wait to go back. The Staff is great. There is something to do all the time. We loved the games at the pool and the shows and games at night. The food gives you a real taste of Jamaica. I worked in travel for 25 years and have been to many islands and stayed at 5 star hotels but the Royal DeCameron was the most fun and had the best people.

15 Thank BarbD123
Reviewed November 13, 2005

Just got back from a 3 night/4 day stay at Decameron and had a great time! The only issue we had was our door did not lock in the room we first had and the air conditioner didn't work very well either, but I tt the manager after the first night and we had a new room that afternoon-that locked and had an air conditioner that about froze us out! Even after reading all of the reviews on tripadvisor I was still a little skeptical. It sounded too good to be true for the affordable price. The resort was very clean (rooms, beach, bars, restaurants), food was great, drinks were fine, beach was small but plenty of room to lay out, pool was super nice although we hung out on the beach. Our room was on the lower level which made everything easily accessible. We even had a nice deck just outside of our room that we could watch the sunset on. It was also an easy commute from the airport (5-10 minutes)and it was easy to get a bus if you wanted to take a tour or go shopping. Overall, my boyfriend and I were very pleased and would recommend Decameron to anyone.

15 Thank A TripAdvisor Member