“Excellent Honeymoon!!!!”

Royal Decameron Montego Beach
Ranked #25 of 64 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed June 3, 2014

In June of 2012 I married the love of my life. We chose our honeymoon to be at Montego Bay and decided to stay at Royal de Cameron Hotel. Very nice property on the water. The swim up bar was my favorite. Snacks in the afternoon were delicious and the variety of food at the restaurant was very memorable. Overall great stay in Montego Bay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dusty and Kati C
There are newer reviews for Royal Decameron Montego Beach

Reviewed June 3, 2014 via mobile

We went there for my daughter's wedding, the whole experience was amazing and beautiful, nice size resort and the staff were personable and FUN! You could relax at the beach or the two pools and not be harassed by outside vendors, plenty of delicious food(almost all day and night)and the drinks, mmmmm, especially the hummingbirds, yum

• Stayed: May 2014
4  Thank tandplandw
Reviewed June 1, 2014

My boyfriend and I just returned from a week stay at the Royal Decameron in Montego Bay. The resort was centrally located about half way between Ochos Rios and Negril so we were able to take day trips to both of those cities. The resort was also within walking distance of many shops and nightclubs and only 5 minutes from the airport. The buffet was fantastic for breakfast, lunch, and dinner! Lot's of variety and very fresh! And, if you need food when the buffet is not open, there was also a snack bar available at other times with hamburgers, hot dogs, fries, etc. There were two small beaches at the resort as well as a man-made sandy area with plenty of chairs for catching some rays. There was never any crowding and always plenty of areas to lay on the beach or in chairs. There was also a small reef about eight feet off the beach with lots of colorful fish and nice coral. Great for snorkeling! The resort had plenty of events/contests throughout the day as well as evening entertainment every night. These were all hosted by the "fun crew" which did an excellent job of keeping the energy up and providing fun for all. The room itself was nothing special, but we really weren't in the room all that much anyway. The only complaint we had related to the water sport equipment. The resort had two glass bottom kayaks, two regular kayaks, and two peddle boats. All six of these items were broken and could not be used. That was disappointing.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Laura T
Reviewed May 28, 2014

My husband and I have been to Jamacia before and stayed at bigger resorts (Riu) but wanted something smaller for our honeymoon. The hotel is a gorgeous property we stayed in room 104 it was noisey but we were on vacation so it didnt bother us. The view was breath taking from our bed & our room was clean everyday! The entertainment was great. We did alot of excursions so we were gone most of the day didnt get to go to the pool and the beach one time. The beach was clean and water crystal clear we did the glass bottom tour on property for $20 it was nice. We walked and shopped on hip strip that was right outside the hotel. Now my husband is a chef and was disappointed about the food not alot of options alot of the same stuff every day even in the sit down resturant. There was no ATM at resort and the one about 10 mins away was broke so we spent one day trying to find a working ATM so take some.cash. The internet is not free not even in lobby $5 an hr or $20 for 24hrs!! Over all the trip was good. Yes we probably would stay again. I would say its a 3 star resort! We loved it staff were friendly and helpful. If you are looking for a small imtimate resort. This is your place;) I wanted to stay an extra day but we came on back!

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Making the right room choice can make all the difference at Royal Decameron. I have been there many times and through trial and error have found the room that meets all my needs. Everyone has their own little check-list, and mine includes a ground floor room, close to beach, not far from food, and far enough from entertainment that it is quiet at bedtime. I have found all of this in the Sunrise building. But others may want to be high up in the main building for a spectacular view from their balcony.
Whatever room you choose, the best part about Royal Decameron is the snorkeling and other water sports. There are four snorkeling areas, each one offering an amazing variety of fish and other sea creatures. It is always an adventure getting into the water at 7:30 a.m. by myself, and discovering a new fish....on my last visit I saw a huge red crab underwater walking on some coral rock. And if you get bored with shore snorkeling, there is always the glass bottom boat ready to take you to an offshore reef. By all means bring your own snorkel equipment so you do not have to follow the hours of the water sports desk.
The food was good, as always, and the breakfast pastries are especially tempting, made fresh every morning by the excellent pastry/dessert chefs. The cakes and other desserts at lunch and dinner are delightful and do not come out of a box of mix. Cookies are made daily.
The soups are also outstanding....two at every meal, and although one cannot say that the food is "gourmet" it is wholesome and features many Jamaican specialties at all meals.
The new beach showers are attractively designed and actually work, making clean-up time easy for all ages. The older showers have been replaced, and all of the spigots for foot washing now work, too. They did not when I was there in December. There was always a beach towel available this time....in the past some tourists complained about lack of towels, but that problem has been corrected. Everything is freshly painted, and the maid service continues to be excellent and rooms are cleaned in a timely manner. A necessary repair to the area in back of my room was also quickly and efficiently done.
Tennis across the street from the hotel continues to be a real treat, with excellent pros ready to help and an opportunity to meet local people who regularly play tennis there. There is a shady spot to sit, cool drinks (maybe even a coconut water to sip) and the friendliest people you can find to discuss Jamaican politics with....just half a block away from the hotel but offering free tennis lessons every morning as part of the hotel's activity list.
Many tourists are suspicious of a low-priced hotel, but in this case, you will find top value for the dollar. It has a huge amount of waterfront, is safe and secure, comfortable rooms and TV that works. As far as I am concerned, it has everything I need. As a senior woman traveling alone, I feel safe from the moment i arrive until I leave for the airport. Taxi drivers are always available to take me on any sightseeing I want to do, and there is a tour desk for more organized trips outside the hotel. But most of the time, I am content with swimming, snorkeling, eating, resting, painting watercolors, and just enjoying looking at the many shades of blues, greens, purples, and other colors of the ever changing sea.

Room Tip: Specify what floor and area you want....you might not get it the first night but they will try to ac...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
7  Thank RobertaOakParkIL
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Another great stay at the Royal Decameron Beach Hotel located in Montego Bay, Jamaica.
Our stay was May 10-17, 2014. Rest and relaxation once again, great food, great friends and a little rain. May is their rainy season, but did not interfer with getting some early morning sun down by the water. We were on the 4th floor, great view of the sea. We once again highly recommend this location. I want to return again very soon!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank STL57
Reviewed May 23, 2014

We stayed at the Royal Decameron Montego Bay from March 15-22, 2014. It was a vacation to rest and re-couperate and such activities as the Fitness Room, swimming, snorkling, kayaking and the aerobics classes were just what we wanted. There was a problem with the air conditioning unit of our room on the 4th floor and it was immediately addressed by staff with no further issues with the AC during the balance of our week's stay.

The room was kept clean and tidy by the maid all week.

Food at the buffet style restaurant was varied and plentiful.
Nightly entertainment was not as professional as we've seen in some other Caribbean resorts but the selection seemed to please the clientel during our stay.

I really liked the fact that the local reef right of the resort's beach had numerous fish species to make it an interesting snorkle.

The water sports desk should be a bit more safety conscious and NOT allow kayaks with holes in the hull to be taken out by guests. Patch the kayaks with suitable materials that bond to each other or remove the damaged vessels from service---it can easily become a serious safety issue.

Aerobics classes which were conducted by the Cuban instructor were very good, however, the other classes were too gentle for our liking. Aerobics classes are meant to be a work-out.

Personally, I would recommend this resort and plan to return.

Room Tip: Stay on the upper 4th floor for the breeze and the great ocean view.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple