“Fraud alert and I promise you will be upset about picking this place”

Royal Decameron Montego Beach
Ranked #24 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Fraud alert and I promise you will be upset about picking this place”
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Worst all inclusive resort ever. Beware of this place. Sort of like a bait and switch game. I paid for king room and get there and they offer me a double room that was filthy. Went to management and they offered me another room, this time king size and there were crumbs all over the bed, mold on curtains, and a dirty bathroom. When I told them I was leaving to go to the Holiday Inn, they offered me a clean king bedroom which I was originally supposed to get. I say clean because it was better than the other rooms they tried to give me. Bathrooms are kind of gross but this is expected of an older resort. Some staff members are very rude and others are "helpful". Resort is supposed to be all inclusive, but better bring a lot of tip money if you want happy service. I also wonder why the resort allows a few peddlers to set up within the resort area and try to sell items. Every time you walk by them expect to be hounded. The food was just okay. If you want a great dinner make reservations at their restaurant inside of the resort. This was very good food. The entertainment was ok on the nights that they had music. The other nights had this very annoying DJ that even made remarks that he thought was funny about Marvin Gaye. He just kept yelling over the microphone that in Jamaica we don’t say the word "Gaye, so let’s refer to him as just Marvin". I could care less about his comments, but I’m sure it could have been offensive to others. Also, the internet is only available in the lobby and you can purchase a 1 hour $5 card or a 24 hr. $20 card. In this digital day and age why in the world Wi-Fi isn’t offered in the rooms if crazy to me, even if you have to pay for it at least have it available in rooms. The beach area was nice and we always had a place to hang out at. The pictures of the rooms is just an awful lie and false advertisement. The rooms are nowhere near what the pictures showed. I seen 3 different rooms and all were nothing pleasing. We made the best of our trip by adventuring to Ocho Rios for 2 nights to get away from the Royal Decameron. We would have went crazy if we stayed there for 7 days straight. In the end it was fine because we made the best of it. I will say I felt they misrepresented the product because it was nothing like what I envisioned. I would have never booked here if I knew what it really looked like. All of these positive reviews are misleading and I just want to spread my experience to someone like me who was just looking for a nice place to stay. You do get what you pay for but in this case I thought I got less. There are a lot of senior citizens at this resort and maybe that’s where all the positive reviews come from. People may make responses that I don’t know what I am talking about but do yourself a favor and stay at a better named resort....you won’t regret it. If you stay here......good luck!!!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
13 Thank sideck1239

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (694)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Regina, Canada
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Our group of 8 were booked for Royal Decameron in Runaway Bay but upon arrival we were told there was some problems with the resort and were moved to Montego Bay. I enjoyed the staff, food, drinks, pools, close proximity to the beach and the shopping "Hip Strip". Most of the evening entertainment was worth watching and participating in as they get the audience involved. It was a vacation I will never forget and hope to return soon!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Tonya97
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed February 1, 2014

We booked a trip to the Royal Decameron Club Caribbean in Runaway Bay for 5 days. When we got there we were all set to settle in for a fabulous vacation. On the first night we were disappointed to learn that our courtyard room backed into a nightclub/bar outside the resort. The music was so loud, our bed might as well have been on the dance floor. We went to the Guest Relations Manager, Carlos, to see if we could switch rooms. Since the resort was sold out, he offered to move us to the sister property in Montego Bay. It actually worked in our favor. Not only did Carlos accompany us on our taxi ride back to RD-Montego Bay, he made sure we were given an oceanfront room(stunning view!), free wi-fi for the duration of our stay, free security box and a beautiful sailing excursion-all at the resort's expense. They also paid our taxi fees to the airport at the end of our trip. Ms. Brown (Guest Relations at Montego Bay property) was exceptional in accommodating our hotel switch. We were only 5 min from the airport. The food was very good, the buffet was different every day. The ala carte restaurant was also very good. The drinks were flowing and excellent! It was easy to get a drink from any bar. We brought our own cups which were much bigger and they always accommodated to mix our drinks in those. The snack bar food was well....not so good. Definitely need to improve on the hamburger/hotdog-they just tasted really strange. Our room was clean and comfortable. The only complaint there was the water pressure, it was super finicky and after a few minutes, it would disappear completely. You would have to turn it off and start again. Not sure if this was just our room. Beaches were clean and I noticed employees cleaning everyday even the common area cushions and the cushions on the lounge chairs out by the pool. The hammocks are heavenly! The evening entertainment was fun to watch and all the employees seemed very polite and friendly. Overall, we were very glad that we moved to the RD-Montego Bay location and would gladly visit it again!

5 Thank Lisa O
Herndon, Virginia
Reviewed January 25, 2014

I booked and pre-paid for an ocean view room. What they gave me was a dingy, dirty room with no view of the ocean. Apparently, they were hoping I wouldn't notice. When I arrived at the hotel, the rather unpleasant woman at the desk told me simply "you're in room 228". After a few minutes in the room, my wife and I noticed that the bottoms of our feet had turned black from the dirt on the floor. We also noticed that we couldn't see the ocean from our room. So, I went back to the front desk to complain. This time, I spoke with the front desk manager, who told me that "she (the person who checked me in) should have told you that we didn't have any ocean view rooms left" and they were sold out.

They moved us to an ocean view room on the second day. Even that was difficult. The same woman who had checked me in told me that I would have to check-out of my first room and wait in the lobby with my bags until 3:00 pm to check-in to my new room. When I asked why I couldn't leave my bags in the first room until they had a new room available, she said simply "that's our policy". I responded that their policy should be to give people the rooms they paid for.

I also spoke with the front desk manager about an adjustment in price for the first night, since they hadn't given me the room I'd paid for. He told me that they hadn't yet been paid by Travelocity (who I'd booked through), so I would have to work a price reduction through them. When I did so, however, Travelocity told me: "As per your request, we contacted Hotel and they denied for the refund. Also hotel has received a payment in full. We thereby regret to inform you that we will not be able to provide you with any form of refund at this point of time." You have to be kidding me. Apparently, they think it's okay to charge you for one room, give you something worth much less, and not at least refund the price difference?

Fortunately, the second room they moved us to was nice and the location of the resort was good. The food was okay overall - sometimes good and sometimes not. The service, however, was rather slow (largely, because they seemed to be short staffed). That apparently explains why so many people routinely tipped the bartenders, even though tips were supposedly included in the all inclusive price. There was even a "tip bowl" next to the omelet station (letting us know that tips were expected?)

I don't think I would have returned to this resort, even if I hadn't experienced the problem with the first room. There are much nicer all-inclusive resorts available. But after the way they handled this reservation, I definitely won't be back. And I'm now disputing (through my credit card company) their refusal to give me a price reduction even though they gave me a room much worse than the one I'd pre-paid for.

Room Tip: Stay away from a "garden view" room (especially #228)
6 Thank TomE100
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Our overall review of this resort is Great!
This is not a ritzy, high end establishment so don't go here thinking you're getting that sort of experience.
I think it is pretty basic to expect some bumps along the way. If you are a reasonable person and have some patience then there is no reason not to love this place.
the food is amazing and location is beautiful. It is never busy or crowded even when it is at capacity.
We definitely had to overcome some hurdles (room issue first night, checking in and out the next day) but all in all i would go back here.

the beach has amazing water for snorkelling, there are a ton of private chill out places with hammocks and swinging chairs. there is maintenance staff continuously working on the grounds and maintaing the property to keep is clean and beautiful. This is appreciated.

Yes the front desk staff is not ideal, nor is the towels or room service. but if you are reading this keep in mind that the people complaining are probably uber picky who get flustered over the most minute problems.

Royal Decameron is a gem of a resort in a sea of over the top, huge, busy less personal alternative options.

Room Tip: any ocean view is good. you do not want to be too close to entertainment stage.
7 Thank leanna689
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Reviewed January 22, 2014

My family and I went to Montego Bay to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary, We had a awesome time, met some wonderful people. The staff, especially, Rayon (bartender)very friendly and knowlegeable, Dalmane (snack) and Sharlette (breakfast server) were the BEST!!!they all made our trip memorable....Thanks for everything :)

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Yvonne C
Kingston, Jamaica
Reviewed January 18, 2014

I enjoyed my stay at the hotel, the food was good and the beaches nice. However, I have never received such bad service from the front desk. They didn't care at all if you had some problems and didn't know how to help. Their attitude was really upsetting. The personnel at water sports was friendly, but only one guy there actually knew how to use the equipment. So the possibilities to try out water sports was pretty limited. They will not teach you if you don't know already beforehand how to use for example the windsurf. Also, the evening shows were not very good. I would recommend a stay at the hotel if you just want to lay on the beach and eat good food.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Melia Braco Village
Melia Braco Village
#1 of 1 in Rio Bueno
Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel

Been to Royal Decameron Montego Beach? Share your experiences!