“Vacation at your own pace”

Royal Decameron Montego Beach
Ranked #24 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Our group of 8 were booked for Royal Decameron in Runaway Bay but upon arrival we were told there was some problems with the resort and were moved to Montego Bay. I enjoyed the staff, food, drinks, pools, close proximity to the beach and the shopping "Hip Strip". Most of the evening entertainment was worth watching and participating in as they get the audience involved. It was a vacation I will never forget and hope to return soon!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Tonya97
Write a ReviewReviews (3,229)

Reviewed February 1, 2014

We booked a trip to the Royal Decameron Club Caribbean in Runaway Bay for 5 days. When we got there we were all set to settle in for a fabulous vacation. On the first night we were disappointed to learn that our courtyard room backed into a nightclub/bar outside the resort. The music was so loud, our bed might as well have been on the dance floor. We went to the Guest Relations Manager, Carlos, to see if we could switch rooms. Since the resort was sold out, he offered to move us to the sister property in Montego Bay. It actually worked in our favor. Not only did Carlos accompany us on our taxi ride back to RD-Montego Bay, he made sure we were given an oceanfront room(stunning view!), free wi-fi for the duration of our stay, free security box and a beautiful sailing excursion-all at the resort's expense. They also paid our taxi fees to the airport at the end of our trip. Ms. Brown (Guest Relations at Montego Bay property) was exceptional in accommodating our hotel switch. We were only 5 min from the airport. The food was very good, the buffet was different every day. The ala carte restaurant was also very good. The drinks were flowing and excellent! It was easy to get a drink from any bar. We brought our own cups which were much bigger and they always accommodated to mix our drinks in those. The snack bar food was well....not so good. Definitely need to improve on the hamburger/hotdog-they just tasted really strange. Our room was clean and comfortable. The only complaint there was the water pressure, it was super finicky and after a few minutes, it would disappear completely. You would have to turn it off and start again. Not sure if this was just our room. Beaches were clean and I noticed employees cleaning everyday even the common area cushions and the cushions on the lounge chairs out by the pool. The hammocks are heavenly! The evening entertainment was fun to watch and all the employees seemed very polite and friendly. Overall, we were very glad that we moved to the RD-Montego Bay location and would gladly visit it again!

5  Thank Lisa O
Reviewed January 25, 2014

I booked and pre-paid for an ocean view room. What they gave me was a dingy, dirty room with no view of the ocean. Apparently, they were hoping I wouldn't notice. When I arrived at the hotel, the rather unpleasant woman at the desk told me simply "you're in room 228". After a few minutes in the room, my wife and I noticed that the bottoms of our feet had turned black from the dirt on the floor. We also noticed that we couldn't see the ocean from our room. So, I went back to the front desk to complain. This time, I spoke with the front desk manager, who told me that "she (the person who checked me in) should have told you that we didn't have any ocean view rooms left" and they were sold out.

They moved us to an ocean view room on the second day. Even that was difficult. The same woman who had checked me in told me that I would have to check-out of my first room and wait in the lobby with my bags until 3:00 pm to check-in to my new room. When I asked why I couldn't leave my bags in the first room until they had a new room available, she said simply "that's our policy". I responded that their policy should be to give people the rooms they paid for.

I also spoke with the front desk manager about an adjustment in price for the first night, since they hadn't given me the room I'd paid for. He told me that they hadn't yet been paid by Travelocity (who I'd booked through), so I would have to work a price reduction through them. When I did so, however, Travelocity told me: "As per your request, we contacted Hotel and they denied for the refund. Also hotel has received a payment in full. We thereby regret to inform you that we will not be able to provide you with any form of refund at this point of time." You have to be kidding me. Apparently, they think it's okay to charge you for one room, give you something worth much less, and not at least refund the price difference?

Fortunately, the second room they moved us to was nice and the location of the resort was good. The food was okay overall - sometimes good and sometimes not. The service, however, was rather slow (largely, because they seemed to be short staffed). That apparently explains why so many people routinely tipped the bartenders, even though tips were supposedly included in the all inclusive price. There was even a "tip bowl" next to the omelet station (letting us know that tips were expected?)

I don't think I would have returned to this resort, even if I hadn't experienced the problem with the first room. There are much nicer all-inclusive resorts available. But after the way they handled this reservation, I definitely won't be back. And I'm now disputing (through my credit card company) their refusal to give me a price reduction even though they gave me a room much worse than the one I'd pre-paid for.

Room Tip: Stay away from a "garden view" room (especially #228)
6  Thank TomE100
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Our overall review of this resort is Great!
This is not a ritzy, high end establishment so don't go here thinking you're getting that sort of experience.
I think it is pretty basic to expect some bumps along the way. If you are a reasonable person and have some patience then there is no reason not to love this place.
the food is amazing and location is beautiful. It is never busy or crowded even when it is at capacity.
We definitely had to overcome some hurdles (room issue first night, checking in and out the next day) but all in all i would go back here.

the beach has amazing water for snorkelling, there are a ton of private chill out places with hammocks and swinging chairs. there is maintenance staff continuously working on the grounds and maintaing the property to keep is clean and beautiful. This is appreciated.

Yes the front desk staff is not ideal, nor is the towels or room service. but if you are reading this keep in mind that the people complaining are probably uber picky who get flustered over the most minute problems.

Royal Decameron is a gem of a resort in a sea of over the top, huge, busy less personal alternative options.

Room Tip: any ocean view is good. you do not want to be too close to entertainment stage.
7  Thank leanna689
Reviewed January 22, 2014

My family and I went to Montego Bay to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary, We had a awesome time, met some wonderful people. The staff, especially, Rayon (bartender)very friendly and knowlegeable, Dalmane (snack) and Sharlette (breakfast server) were the BEST!!!they all made our trip memorable....Thanks for everything :)

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Yvonne C
Reviewed January 18, 2014

I enjoyed my stay at the hotel, the food was good and the beaches nice. However, I have never received such bad service from the front desk. They didn't care at all if you had some problems and didn't know how to help. Their attitude was really upsetting. The personnel at water sports was friendly, but only one guy there actually knew how to use the equipment. So the possibilities to try out water sports was pretty limited. They will not teach you if you don't know already beforehand how to use for example the windsurf. Also, the evening shows were not very good. I would recommend a stay at the hotel if you just want to lay on the beach and eat good food.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Susanna K
Reviewed January 16, 2014

this is my review in form of the email i sent .....

1st check in ......
We Arrived with email confirmation of ability to book extra night at rated stated in email this had been done during correspondence with a representative and my husband,the email had asked for a contact number to contact my husband and take payment for the extra night over the phone ( despite no one from international sale office calling husband as they said the would) when we explained this and produced the email to your staff member we were told this wouldn't be honored and that the rate was $100 more than we had been told in the email .. Your staff then said that we could get a cheaper rate on your website ... This information was floored as you cannot book a single night .
Eventually your staff member suggested that we call a number, my husband had to ask to use the phone as no offer was made.
After being call being made and transferred to several people rate honored).
Room ...#3
Smell of damp in room had to have extractor running to remove the smell .
Bathroom ceiling ..sign of problem,patched but not finished off
Opened door in dressing area expecting cupboard only to find half ceiling down and exposed wires some taped together... ( pic)

Show..
Having been very involved in shows during my life I was extremely disappointed with the shows they Seemed very un rehearsed and somewhat thrown together... The first night we had a Singer she come on stage with her handbag.. And during her songs went to have conversation with band this comes across as very unprofessional ,and not a show at all

Bar staff ..
After show on sat evening my husband went to bar to get final drink,, there were 3 staff on duty ... 2 cleaning 1 serving drinks, 1 member of staff was asked for drink by a guest but was completely ignored, your bar staff need training in how to be polite after all its not as if the hotel was fully or particularly busy. If staff are serving they should be cleaning stuff down not sitting n chilling

Work noise ...
Sat evening 11.30pm work going on both in front of our room and at rear .. Had to go to reception to ask how long work continuing Nolan assured me he would call n give the max of hour to stop eventually noise stopped approx 12.10am. Was there really any need to do construction work at night ? This shows a complete lack of consideration to guests

Reservation ...
Sunday 5th we were in the pool when my husband approached by security guard saying that we should have checked out .. My husband said that we weren't checking out till Monday but he was asked to accompany the security guard to reception .... It turned out that the exta day had not been attached to the Original booking ..we then had to re-register ... This was all very Humiliating when it could have been avoided but your staff clipping the two things together .
I requested the name of CEO or managing director but was told there was no one to tell me so to ask again on Monday .

Bathroom
ceiling ..sign of problem,patched but not finished off

Towels ...
Beach towel card lost by staff..reported by staff to front desk
Sunday return from pool 5.20 pm to find housekeeping had done room but left no towels ... 2face towels 1hand towel
Call reception told towels will come .
20 mins later no towels ....
Call again , could I come to reception and collect them on my way to dinner! I stated that no I couldn't do that .. Told they would be brought over. 20 mins still no towels ended up having to go to reception .... Got told laundry had problems with towels now 6.45
Spoke to customer care manager .... Who listened halfheartedly n apologised but no solutions suggested, I asked again for name of CEO ...but this was not forthcoming from the customer care manager.
Air conditioning
Late Sunday eve ... A/C stopped working reported on checkout on Monday.

Restaurant staff...
Most seem unhappy to be there ....almost although having guests was an inconvenience Monday breakfast husband ended up having to get his own coffee as despite being asked if we would like drinks and my tea being done he still had nothing after 15/20 mins .

Housekeeping...
Very hit and miss,someday bath sheets other only small towels ,some days the room still hadn't been done by 3.30pm and yet on the day of check out they wanted to do the room at 11am !!

Staff due praise...
Alisha ... Pool bar, super friendly.. Constantly looking to see who needs drinks..takes several orders n remembers them all in turn
Nolan....evening reception, sorted noise from building work .. Asked if I was ok each time I saw him afterwards .

General ..
Improvement ideas....
Book in room ... Giving restaurant / bar times ....
Location of gym &when open
Numbers to call for front desk etc
Number of local taxi
Location n time of nurse ( we only found nurse while walking round - never told)
Where to get items such as table tennis bats/ tennis rackets
Games available in dj booth by pool bar .
In lounging area by main dining room books magazines about Jamaica
In lounging area backgammon chess etc
Book swap area
Pictures of management so they are identifiable as they walk round property

Checkout
Looked after by Peta-gay...really lovely,asked for name of CEO she went to look but no one could find mangers. She then offered the name of the general manger and his email .

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple