“Fantastic spot!”

Royal Decameron Montego Beach
Ranked #25 of 64 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Just got back from our Christmas Vacation at the Royal Decameron…we had a Great time here. The staff are incredibly nice…met some really top notch folks here!

We had a great room with a big comfy king sized bed, and an amazing view. The food was great..especially the omelet bar for breakfast! The size of this resort was perfect for us and we loved that it was so close to shopping. We felt safe enough to venture off the resort every day. I honestly have zero complaints and can’t wait to go back!!

To all the staff at the Decameron—you guys are amazing!! Thank you for an awesome week :o)

6  Thank mangodreamz

Reviewed December 30, 2013

Just returned from a week's stay at at this property over the Christmas period. Second visit to Jamiaca (previously at the Gran Bahia Principe). Overall, this is a small tired property but well maintained.I would not return here given the other options available. Here is my input.....the best part of this resort is location..close to the airport and other amenities. Front desk staff, not very professional and need service excellence training.....some are downright lazy. Food is marginally OK. If you are looking for long walks on beaches, your walk will be over in 2 mins. This is not the place for the beach experience. Entertainment staff, also quite weak not sure what they excel in and their manager appears self driven. Dance troupe is good but used selectively. Highlight during the week was a guy riding a single bicycle wheel on stage and lying on a bed of nails....come on! They have a snack bar at the beach but you have to be served...by one waitress......when there are 40 people waiting usually is a while...suggestion.. make this a buffet syle like all other modern resorts....
There was virtually no sign of Christmas at this resort.....when asked the guest relations manager had to ask the the front desk what the plan was for Christmas dinner and they didn't know and we were supposed to ask the entertainment manager. Most servers in the buffet hard working though we found some lazy servers. Also on a couple odd occassions saw staff pour themselves beer at the snack bar (at night) while taking a quick look around and then chugging.... while using the internet saw at least five travelers arguing loudly with the front desk over the week regarding overbooking and being transferred to a different property....appears to be a problem with this resort..would be ticked especially over Christmas and the big bucks paid to be told you need to go elsewhere...in conclusion, average experience.......would not return.....there are other better options...

6  Thank migguel
Reviewed December 28, 2013

This "resort" is convenient in location to get involved for town activities and airport. There are just enough activities to keep one involved but not overwhelming. The room was nice and large and the walking path is good. The restaurant(s) seemed limited in variety of Jamaican cuisine and repetitive from night to night on buffet. I was not impressed with the minimal space available for beach and it was rocky. I enjoyed the disco and others staying pumped to dance while dj played variety of music. I was a bit agitated to learn of hidden fees when checking in/out especially room safe , so take minimal items needed to lock in safe ($2 day), beach towels and phone calls.

Room Tip: If going during slow season, make sure to ask for upgrade.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank msmmclark
Reviewed December 27, 2013

DO NOT STAY HERE. I repeat, DO NOT STAY HERE! My friends and I booked 3 rooms at the Royal Decameron at least 3 months prior to the trip date. We were so excited because it’s been years since we’ve been to Montego Bay and I was especially enthusiastic because it was my birthday getaway.
We arrive at the hotel only to be told our ocean view rooms were flooded due to a rain storm that occurred 4 days prior. Hmmm. Interesting. It only rained once in the two weeks before we got there and it wasn’t like it was a hurricane that could actually do any damage to the property. This is the lie the lady manager/front desk person told us. She offered to send us to their sister property all the way in Runaway, Jamaica. And for our troubles we would receive a lobster dinner, a bottle of champagne and massages.
We didn’t want to go to Runaway, Jamaica. I was later told by a local that we would’ve been highly disappointed in that area because there was absolutely nothing there. It was 45 minutes from Montego Bay and 15 minutes away from Ocho Rios. It didn’t have shops, clubs or anything that Montego had to offer. We demanded our rooms or to be sent to a hotel on the strip since that’s what we paid for. They said they didn’t have any more rooms, yet they checked people in the rooms left and right while we waited. The property has 144 rooms and they didn’t have 3 rooms to put us in?
The General Manager got involved and his story claimed the AC units were out. What happened to the storm the front desk lady mentioned in the lobby? We quickly realized we were a part of a bait and switch operation. The front desk had a list of people on their manifest with highlighted names of people they intended to move to their sister property. They were pulling all prepaid people who got great online deals and moving them so they could make more money off the ocean view rooms we booked. How do I know this? Two reasons, first they said one of my friend’s names on the list that wasn’t there yet and had no idea we were together so clearly they were marked to be moved as well and secondly, we spoke to a group of people who just booked garden rooms the week before and got bumped to ocean view rooms upon arrival. Probably our rooms. We witnessed them doing the same thing to other guests while we waited to get this resolved. Some of them fell for it and were bused to Runaway.
Needless to say, when we refused to leave and they refused to send us to a comparable hotel in the area, they magically found 3 rooms for us. It only took a mere 3 hours to make that happen. The rooms were not that great. We were hot, tired and hungry and our day was ruined. Vaughn, one of the managers and the General Manager promised to upgrade us to our rooms the next morning, but told us we had to check out of our rooms first so they could give them to someone else before they put us in another room. We weren’t falling for that trick. They left us no choice but to stay in the crappy rooms. They completely ignored us the duration of the trip.
I’ve never seen such scheming behavior like this in my life. My friend’s and I sucked it up for the sake of the trip but this experience at Royal Decameron has soured me on ever returning to this hotel and perhaps Jamaica altogether. So if you want a similar shady experience, average food, horrible entertainment and a mediocre room - by all means go stay here and waste your hard earned money.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
11  Thank TeeWrite
Reviewed December 25, 2013

I'd recommend this to anyone looking for value all-inclusive accommodation. It may have been due to the time of year my wife and I stayed here (late November), but the price was very competitive and it wasn't overly crowded. The beach was small but not too crowded. The room was below average at best, but the real reason to go to the Royal Decameron Montego Bay is the food, which is excellent. The service was also very good, perhaps because the resort was well-staffed in anticipation of the upcoming busy season. I'd recommend this to anyone looking for a relaxing few days at an all-inclusive but is on a budget.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Bellhop-2013
Reviewed December 24, 2013

For the most part it was all great. No problems with the food, staff, layout of the hotel, cleanliness etc. - that was all great and I definitely recommend this hotel.

However there was something strange about an all inclusive that charges $3 for each bingo card & promises professional dancers for the Saturday night show that are strangely whisked away for a private party - leaving the hardworking & charming entertainment staff stranded onstage. Then there was the promotional 45 minute onstage advertisement for Margaretiville . A franchised restaurant I can go to at home in Niagara Falls.

But that being said - I would definitely go back again (sooner or later the grumpy entertainment manager is bound to be replaced) - it was a great holiday!

5  Thank Moe90
Reviewed December 21, 2013

First trip to Mobay. I traveled alone to celebrate my birthday and had so much fun. Everything went perfect. At the resort I was in room 10 and since I was alone I noticed that security was posted across from my room my entire stay. Single females are very safe in the resort. After I checked in I went to the stage bar and within 5 minutes met a Canadian guy who is also Jamacian and hung out with him entire trip. Lucky for me Mr. Canada (MC) has stayed at this resort every year and knew a lot of people and speaks the language. Immediately he taught me how to say "wha gwan" which means what's up. We stayed in the resort a lot going to the disco, the lobby bar, and the pool bar.

At night he took me to Margaritaville which is cracking on Thursday & Saturday night and is within walking distance. Friday nights Pier One is the spot.

We ate at the buffet every day. Love the abundance of fresh fruit bummed that peers (avocado) were not in season. Ki Marley makes the best eggs at breakfast and pasta at lunch. We never even made it to the ala cart which I heard is very good. I got a massage in the outdoor cabanna which is across from my room and the giant shuffleboard game by LaToya. Awesome massage make appointment with her. Speaking of the shuffleboard game, people were playing that early in the morning and the slapping of the pucks woke me up several mornings after I was out partying till 4 am!

My room was very nice. Huge bathroom. Air conditioning works great, but first night heard a knocking sound. Chris from maintenance came right away and fixed it and he was so funny we were cracking up while waiting to see if the sound went away, which it did. Beach is beautiful even though I didn't stick my toe in the ocean once. Sun looked 2 hot and I don't want to burn and get wrinkled up.

Entertainment every evening on the stage. WARNING: Red Stripe on tap is stronger than Red Stripe in the bottle. Bring Aleve. Needed it the first morning. Staff are great. Probably got to know the bartenders the most as we spent a lot of time in all the bars! Ladies watch out for Perly, Rayon & Chris who are players! But funny too.

Wifi is an issue. Not readily available as it is in Chicago. You can buy one hour from the front desk for $5.00. However, the code lasted for 2 days. Go across the street to the bar at Don Way for free wifi. We went during the day. Code never changed. We sat by a tree on the resort across from Don Way and used it entire trip.

I never went to the gym but my friend MC did every day and said it was good. Walking outside the resort alone is wild. Don't be afraid to say no! I went once by myself while my Canadian friend was nursing a hangover (sorry Canadian's can't hang like us Chicagoans!) and was surrounded by very aggressive men trying to give me a ride or take me on a tour or whatever.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo