“Some of the reviews are extremely unfair and biased”

Royal Decameron Montego Beach
Ranked #25 of 64 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed December 19, 2013

Maybe because I am a repeat guest with many years of experience at the Royal Decameron or maybe as an older traveler, I am more savvy about dealing with staff, but my recent 10 days at the RD were more than enjoyable. As a water person, I am always happy with the snorkeling there which is just off shore and easy for children and adults, even those who are first time snorkelers. The glass bottom boat is always available during the day, and although it is an extra charge it is reasonably priced.
Yes, there was a major towel problem for a few days which was never sufficiently explained but the behavior of some of the tourists was beyond belief. They insulted the staff and the lifeguards and young woman at the water sports took the insults without getting angry. Why do tourists think that they can treat people with such disdain?
Anyway, I kept my beach towel and let it dry and nothing bad happened when I used the towel more than once.
The food is fine....sometimes excellent, sometimes good enough, but never downright unacceptable. There is always something fresh and good to eat. Breakfasts are so good....with fresh eggs, fresh fruit, house-baked pastries and breads. The young pastry chef is so talented and friendly. Cookies baked with all butter every day, cakes, tartes, and Jamaican specialties at the desert table. They get fresh chickens delivered from a local company. At times the fish is a bit overcooked, but that seems to be a Jamaican trait. Believe me, I always found enough fresh food to keep me happy and never once did I get sick from the food, as on other islands.
The tennis is outstanding....what a great place to hang out. Local folks play tennis at the courts, and it is a great opportunity to discuss politics with Jamaicans. The tennis lessons are offered every morning at 9 and 9:30, courtesy of the hotel, yet most tourists do not take advantage of this opportunity.
The reception desk staff was always friendly to me, especially Vaughn, who is a polite and dignified young man.
As for the noise in the pool area, yes, it does exists as at other Jamaican hotels. If enough people say they do not like loud amplified music, I am sure that the hotel will listen. But, many young people hang out in the pool area, play games such as beach volleyball, and are not bothered by the noise. I just stay away from it.
All in all, i find the hotel immaculately clean, staffed by very kind maids who do a great job of cleaning and do not look for tips, although they are appreciated by these hard-working woman often supporting a few children and not earning much. Let's try to be tourists with a heart and understand that this is a very low cost hotel that provides a lot of service.
How the hotel copes with very demanding people from all over the world with a smile and usually good service, I do not know.
No one mentioned the wonderful mento group that plays daily. These men are terrific and try to keep the guests happy with their requests. My grandson played the maracas with them and they could not have been nicer to him.
So where did these disgrunted tourists stay? Was it the same hotel as I stayed at? Or was it all a dream?
My final comment is that when I heard what some of the Canadians were paying for one week with everything included, I could not think of one hotel in the US that would provide 3 plus meals a day, unlimited drinks, great snorkeling, beautiful views, and a very comfortable room for even close to that price. Even Americans were getting a great deal.
I will return again and again and love Jamaica for all the good things it provides. Incidentally, Spice World, a grocery across the street, is a good place to buy Blue Mt. coffee and other goodies, like the Gleaner, the local newspaper.

Room Tip: ask for a quiet area
10  Thank RobertaOakParkIL

Reviewed December 19, 2013

We went on vacation for our Parents 30th Anniversary and we had a fantastic time. We were a group of nine persons and they were very accommodating at the restaurants and other areas. The bell man was very friendly and ensured that we had that hospitality experience from the onset.

Big up to the entertainment crew..... Sprinkles, Dimitri, Pappi, Pepper, Pinky, Tamara and D (forget her name but she's tall and slim). Yeah Man! There's no problem in Jamaica....Only situations. Watersports crew, Bar peeps, housekeeping ....... LOVE U GUYS.

Because of the hospitality we received we'll definitely be coming back next year.

4  Thank Paulette C
Reviewed December 18, 2013

My wife and I just returned from the Royal Decameron and I will start off by saying that none of the negative things that happened would prevent us from returning. We understood this was not a 5 star resort and were not expecting that. Most of the staff were very friendly and eager to help. Their were exceptions but we learned to move on from them quickly.
The front desk seems to run on "Island Time". They were never able to change our U.S. funds, they were never able to get us a card for a beach towel but that didn't matter as there were never any towels (Bring your own!) and they were late on a wake up call.
The food is marginal (As with most similarly priced All-Inclusive) and we found most of our meals were eaten at the Beach Side grill.
Forget all of that! You come to Jamaica for the sun and the fun and this place provides it! The view from our room (Don't pay for the Ocean View upgrade-They all have them) was amazing and most of the staff were great. If you tipped them a little something it did seem to help. The entertainment at night was usually pretty good and I am not someone who usually goes for that sort of thing
Unless you are someone who is rather snobby and gets upset at little problems you will love this place! We will be back, I just hope the order a few more beach towels by then!

Room Tip: Bring your own Beach towel
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Dan S
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Well this is our 6th time at the Royal Decameron in the last 5 years but a total of 12 times to Jamaica . Yes some things have definitely changed since last December but we did not let it spoil our family vacation. As there is a new manager, which was not as friendly as Alain. We brought our 24 year old son with his girlfriend. My son has not been back since he was 17 & we stayed back then at Holiday Inn. He loved this place!
We love the fact that we are 5 minutes to the hotel , we take a taxi for $20.00.
When we arrive the wonderful Peter Gay Murray checked us in & offered the suite for the 4 of us but we decided we would rather have our own rooms but thank-you! We like the Sunset building as it is nice an quiet, as usual clean & comfortable. The ladies work very hard to keep us happy!
I was a little disappointed that there were no towels for 3 days but we understand this can happen so we always bring our own. But I do agree it shouldn't happen either, but it shouldn't ruin your vacation.
The food is always wonderful, & we are not picky eaters , the omelets made to order are wonderful & fresh fruit & of course any of the breads! We ate a few days at the grill when our good friend Sana Sue is working there, she is AMAZING!! We must mention also our dear Charlette & Kerri-Lynn, you guys always take such good care of us!
We took the kids to Negril for the day as we do each time but I don't think we will be back as it is getting to commercialized there, & saying NO THANK YOU 20 times gets a little much.
We didn't stay up for any of the shows as we are there for the sun, food, & people. Plus we are up & on the beach by 8:00! If you do want to venture out ask for Llyod, we have used him for years, very honest man.
You can walk the strip safely but it is all the same in each shop, we don't buy any more.
As everyone says this is not a 5 star, not really for kids either, & if you are offended by the smell of pot or being offered it, then JAMAICA is definitely not for you.
We are hoping on heading back for the 1st week of February as this is our home away from home!
Enjoy the sun, people & you will have an amazing time!

Room Tip: Sunset Building
6  Thank skylarks455
Reviewed December 16, 2013

My eight year old son and I just returned from our favorite resort in Jamaica - the Royal Decameron in Montego Bay. I have been coming to Jamaica since 1964, as a kid, and have stayed at many hotels from the Ritz Carlton to private residences and this hotel has everything I look for in a resort. The food is great with a huge variety of Jamaican fare and American with unbelievable deserts. The rooms are clean and more than satisfactory with close proximity to the water. There are three swimming areas and a pool with good snorkeling at the two beaches. We took the glass bottom boat, which is always available, out to one of the reefs and we saw a nice variety of fish. The staff is very friendly, helpful, and always remember us when we visit. There is a nice gift shop and the grounds are well kept and lush. Lastly, the tennis courts are a great place to hang out and play, with more than enough tennis pros willing to help you with your game or just chew the fat. My son loves taking tennis lessons with whichever pro happens to be available and they are great with kids.

Room Tip: We like to be near the water
3  Thank enzo r
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Beware!!! There is no way this hotel has great reviews. I can almost guarantee any positive reviews were written by the staff or by someone they paid. I must say that I am night a picky traveler and as long as the staff is friendly and the hotel is clean I am typically happy. First of all we had a group of 5 of us and we pre-booked 3 ocean view rooms for 4 nights about 2-3 months in advance and specifically wanted to stay in this area. We were celebrating the birthday of one our guests and because of the type of person I am I called the hotel a week prior to arrival to make sure everything was alright and was assured we were all set. When we arrived to the hotel we were immediately diverted to the concierge and told they had to send us to another property in Runaway Bay which was over 45 minutes away from the hotel. The reasons for the move were confusing as they changed their story (lies) multiple times. Lie #1 A flood caused some of their rooms to be out. Interesting as we had checked the weather everyday for 2 weeks in anticipation for our visit and no storm ever occurred. Lie #2 The A/C units were out. Lie #3 They were sold out. After 3 hours of dealing with them and requesting to speak to the manager, who was useless, they finally magically came up with 3 garden view rooms. We were promised for the inconvenience we would be upgraded the next day to our ocean view rooms that we asked for along with a bottle of champagne and 30 minute massages. Not only did we never get the ocean view rooms we never got anything that was promised to us and not even an apology. The hotel management is unprofessional and lack good customer service skills. The hotel and rooms are outdated and the food is mediocre at best. Thankfully I traveled with a group of people that could look over the horrible hotel experience and make the best of a Birthday Celebration in Jamaica. If you want to have a nice experience in Jamaica I truly recommend you stay at another hotel. You will NOT be happy here!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
7  Thank K S
Reviewed December 14, 2013 via mobile

If you like big fancy resorts this one is the one to go to. They people here are amazing. Its a very large resort!! If you want relaxed calm with great entertainment go to the one in runaway bay :) this resort is small and fun! either or both of these resorts are fantastic!

Stayed: December 2013