“After 27 times it is still Irie”

Royal Decameron Montego Beach
Ranked #23 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
Mont-Saint-Hilaire, Quebec, Canada
“After 27 times it is still Irie”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Check in done in 5 minutes, thanks to Vaughn at front desk, It's always nice to hear welcome home by the amazing staff. My room was ready and it was time for me to enjoy all the facilities on the site.
Food is good, drinks are perfect the waited staff and bartenders will do everything to put you in a Jamaican mood.The A La Carte restaurant is perfect for me, small portions and good food, ate there almost every night.
My room was still perfect, spotless and welcoming,Fresh sheet every day and no trouble with the towels, thanks to my wonderfull maid. I prefer Sunset Building it is very quiet.
The sea is still beautifull and i also enjoy the pool in the morning.
For me, it is another perfect trip to Jamaica, the staff is the main reason that i am coming back! I am already planning my next visit! For people who complains about everything, remember it is a 3.5 star family hotel, and all returners like it this way because it is a great value. For those who are travelling solo it is a very secure place to relax and read some good books.

Room Tip: Sunset Building all the way....There is a wine card at front desk at very reasonable price.If you wa...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
12 Thank Marie N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (686)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
york pa
Reviewed October 27, 2013

The first thing that struck us about the Decameron were the amazing views . We have been to Jamaica several times and these are the best views of the sea we have had. We just by chance got a fourth floor ocean view room and would agree with the other reviewers by suggesting a second floor or above room. The rooms are very colorful and bright and very spacious with with a balcony overlooking the sea .Gorgeous.The food at the buffet is very good and the staff is attentive and helpful. Sorry we can not review the ala carte restaurant but we didn't get the chance to try it. The only real complaint would be the way beach towels are distributed. they must be signed out when getting towels and every time you need a fresh towel you have to walk to the water sports area which can be on the other side of the resort. Also when house keeping cleans the room they take the towels and do not leave any clean towels (they are replaced in the late afternoon) we had to call several times because we didn't have fresh towels to shower. This resort is also very convenient to the airport and makes transfer easy.

Room Tip: try and get a room on the second floor or above for great views
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank bboeckel1
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I came to Jamaica to celebrate my birthday and our wedding anniversary and booked to stay our first few days at the Royal Decameron, Montego Bay. We booked a garden view room but were also led to believe that ALL rooms had an Ocean view room as standard, so we expected a room with double-aspect views. Imagine our shock and dismay to find upon opening our curtains first thing in the morning to find a huge tree blocking out whatever there was of any natural light and not only that we seemed to be on facing the back of the building on top of a generator room. If you peered through the branches you could make out part of some patch of green with trees to the right but definitely NO ocean view in sight.We had arrived the night before at about 8.30pm so had no idea. The room itself was nothing great. Very old looking furnishings apart from the flatscreen TV. It was clean however but very basic. That morning we spoke to two managers who did nothing about the situation, except to state we could be upgraded if we paid an extra $20 per night per person. This we felt was completely unacceptable, as all their literature clearly states that ALL rooms have an ocean view. Bear in mind that it was now my birthday. You would think that as a gesture of good will, they would gave changed our room to one which would have met our expectations, but no, they offered one room which if anything was worse, stuck in a corner, far from everything, still no Ocean view. In the end, their only concession was to have us transfer to their other hotel in Runaway Bay for the remainder of our stay at a cost to us of $120 to transport us there (which is a rip-off by the way). By this time my husband and I just wanted to leave, so we agreed to the transfer but organised our own transport for $50. What a difference at the Runaway Bay resort!! We were greeted with a welcome drink and assisted with our luggage straightaway, none of which happened at the Montego Bay resort. In fact at Montego Bay, one of the security girls assisted us with bags after noting the luggage guy was not doing his job.

• Stayed October 2013
3 Thank EveReece
Montreal
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I went to royal Decamaroon Montego bay twice once in January 2012 and again back in January 2013. Both times we had a great time.

The service was really good, fast check in and out and staff was always willing to help.
Beach is small but very clean. Amazing for snorkeling.lots of fish and corals to see. The water is crystal clear and you can see 25 ft deep with no problem.
The 2 bars are small but efficient, Alcohol selection was good and service was always fast.
Our room was clean and the bed was ok but a little dated. The shower we had both times had low water pressure and between 4-6 pm very little hot water available but the room had great views of the ocean that you would need to pay a premium at other resorts to have include in standard package. This resort was so clean that i would eat of the floors. jokes aside it's a very clean place. The food selection is repetitive but good. Good selection of bread, fruits,veggies and well cooked meats " not over cooked ". The free a la carte restaurant has great Jamaican cuisine. The jerk chicken is to die for. If you are looking for a great deal and overall great experience i highly recommend this resort and looking forward to my next visit.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Ed C
warrington
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Just spent a fabulous 2 weeks at this hotel.Firstly its in a great position,5 minutes from airport and 1 minute from the strips shops & bars.We were on the 3rd floor with a breathtaking sea view (99 % of rooms are sea view).The room was clean and spacious with a king sized bed.Towels were changed at least every other day.The 2 pools are not that large but we had no problem getting sun beds and there were plenty to choose from on the beach as well,some with their own sun canopy.The sea was great for snorkelling ,and the equipment was free to hire from the towel booth.The dining room had a great choice of food at every meal time (all buffet),and the al-a-carte restaurant was a nice alternative.There is also a beach grill where they have the best burgers & pizzas i have ever had.The bars are well stocked with drinks and you can get a drink somewhere between 10 am and 2pm (all all-inclusive).I must mention the staff,as they are a credit to the hotel,especially Rupert & Langford from the lounge & entertainment bars,and Eleisha & Fitzroy at the pool bar who became like part of the family whilst we were there.The entertainment crew worked hard day and night to make sure we had fun,especially Chocolate,Pepper & Sprinkles,ably led by Sidekkie. Every other night we were entertained by The Decameron Dancers who not only put on a different fabulous show every time,were very easy on the eye.So to sum up,a lovely hotel (with rooms being redecorated as they become available)in a great location,Good food with excellent and friendly staff throughout.Probably our best holiday ever,as because its not a massive hotel (143 rooms)we found ourselves mixing with everyone and so made lots of friends with other residents and staff alike.

Room Tip: we found 3rd floor very good because we could see over the palm trees.The rooms in the main block se...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank warringtonmoog
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I stayed from October 15th thru october 22nd. Ill start by sayinf the hotel wasnt busy because I went in off season. When I went to check in ittook less than 10 minutes. Went to my room #324 and was immediately amazed at how immaculately clean itt was. The view was gorgeous and it was right above the poop so I could ppl watch which I love to do. Only issue I had was there was 2 beds and it was just me and my boyfriend I loved the view so much though so we just decided to stay with the room. The housekeeping does start early by the way I want to say about 9am which was a lil annoying. Also they were doing repairs which were loud and woke me up. Now the food.... Breakfast was always good to me and my man Im American but hes jamaican and he loved the breakfast food... a few examples of what they had Liver, calaloo, fish fritters, fried dumpling, boiled dumpling, saltfish, on the american side they had sausage bacon scrambled eggs. .boiled eggs..and an excellent omelet station. .also fresh fruit and yogurt. Everyday there was something different. Lunch I cant really speak on because I was usually already out around that time but I did go to the beach grill which serves hotdogs and hamburgers..best hamburger I ever had it was so fresh and juicy Yummmmmyyy. ... Dinner was good they usually had some type of chicken and fish but each day it was seasoned differently one day jerked next day bbq next day grilled etc etc...also they had amazing soup (coconut chicken soup) omg they only had it once while I was there but it was yummy in my tummy..now let go to ddrinks so freaking good. They only have local liquor so no grey goose or Hennessey. But the drinks were wicked good if you wanted them stronger just ask my personal fave was the California Lemonade no idea whats in it but it did the job lol..my man only drank Appleton and Cranberry (so boring) The bartenders were friendly and quick except the one by the pool was always busy and had tons of bees. One of the bartenders were rude she completely ignored me while having a convo with another employee but I just waited patiently. Other than that great bartenders and friendly give them a 2dollae tip at least once per day. The nightly entertainment I only made it to one show because we were mostly gone at night but the one show was awesome.... great singing performance followed by an international dance routine. Oh the beach is nice very clean but alot of rocks. They also have hammocks outside you can lounge in and a basketball court and tennis court. Also saw a playground for kids ..speaking of kids there werent any except for my last day i saw a few kids at the pool. Ummmmmm thats pretty much it...oh yeah its on the hip strip great shopping always bargain never go for the first price they give you and do remember weed is illegal but ppl will constantly try to sell to you

• Stayed October 2013
4 Thank Lovelybrowngirl
Reviewed October 17, 2013 via mobile

Not impressed! The room had a great view and the resort is close to the airport!

Best tennis I've ever played in a resort from Garnett and Gregory. Garnett was so patient and he teaches kids too!

Food was not good only looked forward to eating 1 of 7 day stay!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends