“Our First trip to MoBay”

Royal Decameron Montego Beach
Ranked #24 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed October 2, 2013

My husband and I just returned from our first trip to Montego Bay. We have been to alot of the islands, but never Jamaica. We stayed at The Royal Decameron for 6 nights. It was a great vacation. We , of course , enjoyed the all inclusive package, they offered. This resort is very clean, and for the price, we received our moneys worth. THe only one complaint that I have is you have to pay for your internet service. They charge $5.00 for one hour. I paid , but then , the front desk clerk failed to tell me that service was only good in the lobby. Also, several times when I tried to get online, the service failed. Besides that, all was good. The people who worked there were very friendly. I read some of the reviews on Trip Advisor before we left and took the suggestion of someone to stay on the 2nd floor and up for the view. Thanks for that!! When we checked in , we were offered a room on the first floor, and when I asked for the 2nd floor, they were very acommadating!!
Beautiful views of the ocean and beach, and sunsets. Dont be leary of going off resort property. I had alot of fun shopping on the street in the little shops for jewelry and wine!!! BTW, if you enjoy good wine, buy it at the little marts along the street. Great vaca and will definitely be back!!

Room Tip: Stay on 2nd floor and up for the view!!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank TeresaM136
Write a ReviewReviews (3,277)

Reviewed September 22, 2013

We booked a stay at Decameron for two nights in early September 2013. I was visiting from Trinidad with the bf who was Jamaican. Upon driving up to the hotel we were quickly approached by the security guard. We told him that we were guests at the hotel checking in today, and he demanded to know our names so he could check a list....we found this to be strange and wondered if all guests were subjected to this. We were then told that there is no parking at the property and that parking was opposite in an empty lot. So i was dropped off with the bags while he went to park.

We were approached by a pleasant bell boy who took our bags and left it at the reception desk. The lady at the front desk was not pleasant at all....in fact we she had a disgusting attitude when we asked for directions to the room. She said 2nd floor on the left like we were supposed to know it.

So after checking in, we waited around for someone to help with our bags, only to realize that noone was coming. So we took our bags and made our way to the elevator. We were shocked! For such a hotel, we were surprised of the size of the elevators....its barely fit two persons far less two persons with luggage. So we squeezed into it and hoped for the best and made our way up to the 2nd floor. Followed the directions, only to realize that our room was not on the 2nd floor....it was nowhere to be found.

By this time we were getting frustrated, so I stayed on the 2nd floor with the bags while the bf went back to the front desk to enquire. He returned to me about 5 mins later with a girl from the front desk who insisted that the room was on that floor and had to see for herself that it wasnt. After walking the entire floor she realized that we were right. So we made our way again to the front desk. Stood for a few minutes while they tried to figure out where the room was located.

Finally we were directed to the room.....and we finally realized why noone could find the room. The room was above the check in area, with a separate entrance outside the hotel. The walk to the room was very dark and remote and we had to climb up a narrow stairway with our bags and no assistance. When we opened the room we were shocked! The room was nothing like what we expected.....in fact it look like it was previously a manager's quarters that was turned into a hotel room! It lacked the decor that the other rooms had...as we were able to see inside the room next door as their windows were open. We did not feel like paying guests of the hotel but instead outsiders that were given a space to stay as a favour!

So disappointed and somewhat upset we made our way back to reception to ask to change rooms. We asked to speak to the manager, who turned out to be a young male. We politely asked for another room as we believed that the room was not up to standard. Only to be told that all the garden room were booked....yea right! I went on to complain to him that noone knew where the room was and that his staff had us running around the hotel with our bags. I mentioned that the room was so remote that his own staff couldnt find it! This manager, had the audacity to tell me what does that have to do with anything?!!!!!

I almost lost it. I asked him if he thought this was acceptable that his staff isnt adequately trained and are not knowledgable about the layout of their hotel. He ashamedly answer no.....I said well, then it is relevant to this conversation because I am a customer and I deserve good service and so far this service is terrible!!!! We never received an apology.

We left them thinking what a waste of money....horrible room, horrible service and attitude from the manager! But we checked in at 830pm and were tired from driving around. So just decided to go for dinner.

The food at the hotel was average....nothing special. The servers in the restuarant were pleasant and we had no issues here. The food was bland in some cases with a few dishes being exceptional such as the curried goat. Drinks at the hotel were the usual watered down drinks that you get at most all inclusives. Bar staff was also pleasant.

Entertainment- I was disappointed that it lacked a Jamaican flair. It was the typical cheesy entertainment.

The beach- relatively small for the size of the hotel, but was well maintained and calm. Some beach chairs available.

The pool- small

Decor- in the main areas, and restuarant was nice. Modern with a caribbean flair.

Overall, I would not recommend the Royal Decameron to anyone as the service from the reception staff was horrible and tainted our entire stay. The attitude from the manager was the worst I ever experienced in a hotel. We left with the impression that we could have gotten more for our money elsewhere. I firmly believe that because we were Trinidadian and Jamaican we were given a sub standard room. Had we been visitors from the US or Europe this would have never happened. (by the way, they knew we were caribbean nationals before we checked in, because I called earlier in the day to inform them that we were going to be checking in late...so that they wouldnt give away our room).

Room Tip: Make sure you dont get the manager's quarters disguised as a room
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank bluwaters17
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Check in was great , we were greeted by a lovely smiley lady called Trisha. We were given room 318 which was beautiful very clean and had a fabulous view! No issues at all with the room for all of our two week stay. Views were just gorgeous from lobby dining room bars etc . Everywhere really clean and well maintained. ALL staff work long hours and very hard. We found almost all staff were very friendly I can only think of 3 which had a bad attitude and we just avoided them. Beach areas are small but pretty ,there are so many choices of places to sit in the sun either round pools or beach. Plenty of sun beds. Food here we actually loved. The catering staff put in so much effort with choices and presentation. Beef Wellington was one of my favourites the beef here was very good. Lots of chicken with rice pastas etc and the desserts were gorgeous ! Can't praise the food enough. You certainly won't go hungry here ! Bar staff were mostly great . Particularly the stage bar at night. They would serve you efficiently but also dance and sing . Ring a large bell and bang bottles up and down to the music ! A show all by themselves ! ! The pool bar was great fun in the day Andrew and Ellishia make gorgeous cocktails ! Entertainment staff were excellent . Always great fun full of energy and enthusiasm despite working very long hours . We just loved Sprinkles Peppa Chocolate and Dominic ( donkey) . They dance amazingly and we enjoyed all the shows for the whole 2 weeks. Such a friendly bunch. We walked the hip strip a few times and visited local craft market . Never felt un safe ! We went to the pork pit (lovely jerk chicken + pork ) casino , couple of bars. Locals will approach you but they just like to know where you are from and they want you to spend money in their shops or use their taxi . Very friendly people overall. I would not walk the strip too late at night but that's just me. I would not walk around oxford city centre late at night either ! The hotel put on a shuttle bus to go to Margaritaville after the show each night . Lovely bar with good music but Pricey ! You have to go just for the experience !
If I had to find a negative with this hotel it would be no free wi fi . We paid $5 for 1 hour four times so $20 dollars for our whole stay,they offer 24hours for $20 so that would have been our best option. You can use the wifi whenever you like you do not have to use your allowance all at once so 24 hours should last your whole stay. If you go to the coffee shop just across the road in the Donway complex you can get free wi fi which will extend to the front of the hotel lobby. Somedays you couldn't log on though and somedays it was brilliant.
Overall this hotel was everything and more for our 14 night holiday and we are already booking to go back in May !
Miss everyone at the royal Decameron thankyou and see you all again soon!
Any questions you might have please just ask

Room Tip: Room 318 was lovely un obstructed view overlooking pool bar And ocean. 319 /320 would be good also...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank Cindy B
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I pretty much read the review before coming here so when the front desk agent told me she had to get the Manager to talk to us when we got to the desk when arriving to the hotel............I knew they were going to send us to the Runaway Bay one for a day............(we definitely took the compensations which was 2 bottles on champagne, the 2 suites, free tour of the Dunn Riverfalls, and the half an hour massage).............(this is a good way to see some other parts of Jamaica for free so we took it like that however it takes about 1.5 hours to get to the other hotel. We accepted the lie about the rain damaging rooms and actually the Runaway Bay place was decent but the outside area was pretty much dead with a few go-go bars....(so families may want to avoid going around the place at night)........The food was decent and the drinks were ok...Housekeeping at both places were decent and the staff at both resorts were friendly...I will definitely go back but avoid (due to ecoli and bacteria nowadays) eating the salad, avoid the fish just in case, and I wouldn't drink the water too much unless I knew for sure they gave me bottled water...(I did get sick one day after I left Ja and I am pretty sure it was something I ate at the resort), Now the Hip Strip is not that great (quiet and boring a lot of the nights I was there)...If you want to see the real Jamaica in Montego right across from Margarittaville has a place called Moods (a club/fake go-go bar) which was good (a lot of locals and not one hassles you)....Please avoid ALL souvenir vendors on the strip and in the hotel as they will try and trap you and buy more (they come up with ...let me give you a gift and then they ask you for a donation) and the hookers are worse as they will hassle to the point where they try to grab your pocket so be careful (many of times me and my friends had to run from them even sometimes the local police just stood there and laughed while watching)..............TIPS; buy your gifts, coffee, and liquor at the airport when heading home....coffee, liquor and some gifts were cheap buying when going home...... The shows at the hotel at night were nice especially the fire acts and the guy who lays on broken glass.........massage was great as well....the pool area has a bar and you can drink and go up to the bar for drink which was good......I pretty much left my stuff in the safe and made sure to have a good time while drinking, eating and partying....Avoid the folks that will promise to take you places with a taxi and yes!!!!!!!!!! the taxi will try and rip you off...The most we paid from the airport to the Decameron was 15.00 one way ..decent place....just got to be street smart and avoid the right folks

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
11  Thank bankbwou
Reviewed September 16, 2013

The staff are unbelievable! They could not be more welcoming. We had no trouble at all with check in which had been a negative i had read before our trip. The food and drink were good. The location is great. I would avoid the craft market vendors. Not because they are pushy ( I can handle that) but they all had the same, very low quality merchandise. As for the resort, it offers plenty to do. I hope they treat their employees well because every staff member we met certainly deserves it!!

Room Tip: Quieter rooms on the west side of the resort.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Lisa L
Reviewed September 16, 2013

This hotel was surprisingly really nice. For the price that we paid we weren't expecting much, but this hotel is really great. We were greeted by a helpful bells boy Dave and he assisted us in everything that we needed. We had an issue with our room which was the garden view room and it was out of order but I guess the front desk didn't know that the room wasn't available. Well the bell boy saw that we were really angry with the lack of organization and he got us upgraded to the ocean view room.
Comparing the garden and ocean view, it's like 2 different hotels. If we had to actually stay in the garden view room this hotel definitely wouldn't have received 4 stars because the room was HORRIBLE regardless of the fact that is was out of order. They definitely need to invest some time and money into making those rooms bearable. So thank the lord our room was upgraded.
We had one issue with the housekeeper on our second to last day on the trip. We went to breakfast, did internet surfing, and went to the beach for several hours. We didn't get back to the room until almost 5pm and the room still wasn't clean. Like seriously, we stayed out the room all that time so it could get done and nothing was cleaned. We then asked the damn girl for a towels and wash clothes, and she seemed as though she had an attitude because we asked when she will get to our room. So we got towels and took a shower and went into the town. We came back after 7 and the bed was made, and towels were changed, but that's it. She didn't even replace the wash clothes.
The food was ok, nothing great. I must say I was surprised that they had fish on the menu every day, because my husband only eats seafood so that was accommodating. However, the food was a bit bland, and I'm guessing that's because they didn't want to provide too much seasoning because of everyone's taste. If the food was better then they would be 5 star for the price.
All in all this hotel is eye catching. They keep the grounds clean and the VIEW, boy oh boy, it's breath taking. If you have the extra cash do yourself a favor and get the ocean view, because it's worth it.

Room Tip: Ocean View Rooms only
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Monque W
Reviewed September 12, 2013

The ocation is great you can walk outside the resort and shop. You will get confronted by the people trying to sell you their goods but the futher up the strip you walk they are not accosting you in the street. But you don't feel in danger, just sometime annoying. The resort itself was very clean but needed some updating. The staff made up for the lack of newness. The food was good with a variety each day, mostly Jamiacan. But you're in Jamaica LOL. We were in the Presidential suite and the views were magnificent. However, the suite needed some maintenance in one of the bedrooms and on the last day we all had to be moved to 2 reg. rooms as there had been a hugh storm and the roof was leaking pretty bad. On the whole for the money it was worth it. However if I went again I would like to try a one of the newer resort, but the staff and the service couldn't have been better.

Room Tip: The rooms near with the lower numbers (201 etc.) are very noisy at night when the shows are going on...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family