“Not bad for the price”

Ranked #24 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Toronto, Canada
“Not bad for the price”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

If you want a hotel that is reasonably priced with good food and a decent oceanfront, this is the spot. It is right on the end of the downtown strip and close to lots of amenities. It is an ideal spot if you are trying to save money, and you know that you will be doing a lot of day trips.

i wouldn't recommend this spot as a relaxing family location. There is not a lot of beach at all. However, the view is amazing, and there is plenty of chairs if you are just there to get a good tan and see part of the coast of Montego Bay.

The staff could definately use some tips in customer service training. There were a couple who were great, but most still did not seem like they enjoyed their jobs. Entertainment was good and surprisingly better than I expected.

Two things we were disappointed with: 1) there is no free wi-fi - after we paid for wi-fi for the day, the staff told us they have free wi-fi right across the street. I was NOT impressed with this AT ALL. EVERY hotel should have free wi-fi now. I think this is ridiculous and just a way for hotels to try and rip you off. GET FREE WI-FI for your guests!!!! For now, go across the street and use the wi-fi at the coffee shop. DO NOT PAY!!!

2) our first room was awful. It was at the very end of the second building right beside a tiny public beach area and directly in front of a street. Between the cars honking, alarms going off, and music being blasted from a car right outside our room at 6:30am, I was not impressed. However, the front desk staff were very helpful and gave us a new room the next day. If you are a light sleeper, room 44 is bad news!!!

With a few more trainings in customer service, change in uniforms for the staff (the ladies had shirts on that were way too small and looked awful), and a few updates to rooms and facilities (e.g. weight room), this hotel could easily be a four star and not a three. However, you get what you pay for!

Room Tip: Get a room in the main building - quieter. Ask for oceanfront room as the view is amazing!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Fuziongirl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (694)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Whilst this is my first time at this resort, it is not my first time in Jamaica.

ARRIVAL
Upon arrival at the resort, check in was easy, although slow. The reception staff were friendly enough, but never smiled. I was stunned that you were basically fined if you lost anything and everything (included TV remote - how on earth would you lose that), ranging from $20 for a lost key to $100 for a lost safe key (old fashioned safe - physical key), and you have to sign to say you understood that. An improvement, and better security would be a key code safe and and card activated doors!

RESORT
The resort itself is beautifully laid out, but sadly lacks in having a lovely beach. It has two areas of beach, one vert small with no shades (umbrellas or trees) and the other blighted by a large coral patch so that you have to walk down by the pier and around the coral in order to swim. The other area to swim is "climb down ladder into sea", which was nice as the snorkelling was quite good. Loungers and shady trees were plentiful on the beach.

The resort is very clean, tidy and the staff are always working on the grounds. There are alot of large "pots" scattered all around the resort, which over the 10 days, I saw 2 get broken caused by staggering drunken guests.....pots and drunks do not mix!

The restaurants, bars and grill are all ocean front and outside (restaurant is undercover but open on the sides) - this was a welcome change to other all inclusive resorts where the restaurants are inside.

Rooms are spacious, clean and mine had excellent A/C (Room 28 of the Sunset Building) and were cleaned every day. Our toilet broke mid break and they were very fast in fixing it. I was impressed. The balcony doors have a strange lock on, and even when you lock, if you pull hard enough, they open! Not a problem for us on second floor, but ground floor?????!!

There is NO free Wifi and you have to pay for the Wifi in the lobby - - the trick is to go across the road to the coffee shop, buy a coffee, and on the bottom of the receipt is their free Wifi code. It was good for the whole of my stay and stretches its signal to the hotels lobby!

POOL
Pool area is quite small but lovely. Loungers are comfortable, and area well tended. The pool bar staff engage, with the entertainment team, into games, and whilst good fun, there was alot of alcohol freely poured into guests mouths, to such an extent one was sick. in the pool. Not necessary.

FOOD
The food in the beach grill is basically pizza, hotdogs and burgers - OK - just OK, but then, I'm not a fan of this sort of "junk" food. The food in the restaurant is a bit hit and miss. Breakfast is the omelettes to order, continental, cereal, and also "Jamaican" style food - liver, dumplings etc (didn't try the Jamaican food as seems a bit "heavy" early morning). Lunch was nice salads, grilled meats, "toasted sandwichs" for the less adventurous and a great selection of desserts. Dinner was the hit and miss - repetitive and not very Jamaican. The same grilled fish 3 days in a row as well as Jerk Chicken. When the Oxtail came out, it was gone within the hour, and then replaced with something else. This says to me, that the Jamaican foods are liked and wanted but not enough provided.

OTHER
Avoid Margaritaville - expensive way to be bitten alive by mosquitos - JA$550 for a red stripe - thats £3.70!!!!!!! The "Musik Bar" fared a little better, but they still charge the tourists more. We just went back to the hotel and utilised our "drinks included package".

EXCURSIONS
We paid ZIPP (taxi driver that stands at the lobby) for a day trip to Negril for 7 of us - he took us to seven mile beach and Ricks Cafe to see the cliff divers and the whole day was $150 which split seven ways was good value.

ZIPP's second excursion with us was to Accompong (Maroon Town) - this was the most amazing excursion I have ever done. To see the little town, in the middle of the hills (Zipp had to verify directions twice as its so remote) that does not pay tax and is self governed was amazing. No crime here in 250 years and no police. It was a good tour given by a maroon descendant, and the prices of food/beer up to Montego Bay opened our eyes. This was the REAL Jamaica - no hustling of tourists here, and just grateful and happy "to be your friend". This was $207 for the whole day split nine ways. I loved this place so much for its peacefulness and colourfulness (no rundown buildings here, and all buildings artistically painted). I will return when I next visit Jamaica.

All in all, I loved my vacation - would I return to this resort? Possibly.....If you had asked me yesterday, then yes, definitely, but today, I have discovered that my iPhone was "hacked" in Jamaica on my first day (lots of calls to Jamaican numbers) and whilst I hear you say, that this could of happened anywhere, for the first 4 days of my vacation, my phone was locked (albeit switched on) in the room safe. Luckily, I was reimbursed as my provider could see that I had never called a Jamaican number in my life, and that for the duration of the holiday, I called no one! I have reported this to the management of the Decameron today, but at the end of the day, I cannot "prove" the phone was in my safe. Apparently, its done via a "fake" charger, replacing your one, that, when you input your security code, whilst charging, can down load a software .....hmm technology of today. I will make sure I lock my charger in my suitcase next time :-)

Room Tip: Sunset is quiet and not that far from main building.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Bris2lBlonde
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed August 6, 2013

I chose this hotel because of the very nice pictures and all the aminites that were offered. I later learned that it was false advertising. I chose my room from the brochure which stated "EVERY ROOM" has a view of the ocean be it patio/garden and or balcony. I check in only to step into a room opposite of the ocean and on the 2nd floor. I wanted a ground level. My view was of the basketball court and I was not a happy visitor. After speaking with the front desk staff regarding the mistake, they informed me that there were no other rooms and if one came available I would have to pay an additional $200. I tried to explain to them what I paid for but no one was trying to hear me unless I was handing over more money. NO! Well needless to say, but I wasn't accommodated as one should have been. So I tried to spend as little time in the dark cave as possible. The bathroom was hot at all times, had to keep the fan running to suck the heat out of there. There wasn't a towel rack to hang my towels. The sink was so close to the toliet you had to step sideways to sit on the toliet. I couldn't use the dresser drawers, they were all stuck. The room was a dark drab color which was depressing. It was a long 6 days and I was so ready to leave.
I enjoyed my experience in Jamaica, I learned a lot, did a lot, but would never stay at this hotel again.
There is no spa nor massage facility on site, which was another reason I picked this spot.
False advertising to get you there then to let you down.
Very disappointed!

Room Tip: How to get a good room? Go to a good hotel!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Denise P
Worcester, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 6, 2013

I stayed at this resort earlier this year for my honeymoon. I had two different couples come to the resort and loved it! We were looking for an all inclusive resort that was a decent price, not over crowded, relaxing, and not a 2 hours bus ride. This resort was everything we hoped for!

It is a smaller resort with less choices; but, the food was great and the drinks were perfect for us! It was quiet and clean. Yes, the rooms were a bit out dated, but VERY clean. Plus, it only took us 10 minutes from the airport to get there. The staff was beyond friendly and entertaining. We had a positive experience from the moment we checked in. We were surprised wit honeymoon t-shirts and later in the week found a bottle of champagne and glasses in our room waiting for us after an excursion. This is not a 5 star hotel with room service or all the fancy amenities, but has two pools, three beach entrances, and really cold red strip.

We are already planning our next vacation back!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank rachael r
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Just arrived back from this property after spending 4 nights there.
I have stayed at the Runaway Bay Decameron, but decided I didn't want too much of a journey from the airport this time, so went for the Mobay property and wish that I hadn't.
It started at the front desk on check in. I had arranged for 1 more night than I had originally booked, but was told that I would have to pay the room rate at the hotel (which was $100 more than the on-line rate). After being told I had to phone the central reservations number myself, the desk clerk finally relented and let me use the desk phone. After several minutes of arguing they finally let me have the extra night at the price that had been agreed via email.
The one good thing about this property was the room. very spacious and clean and a huge bed, so I was quite happy with the accommodation. That all went wrong on the second night. There was minor building work going on right outside our room which went on until after midnight. The drilling and hammering only stopped after we complained to reception. WTF do they think they are doing working at that time of night when residents are asleep?
Most of the bar staff have managed to perfect the art of looking straight through you when trying to order a drink. It is as if the guests are just an annoyance to them. This was also true of some of the restaurant staff. There was only 1 girl who worked at the pool bar that this was not true of, so we spent most of the time down there. The management really do need to put some training into their staff about customer service.
On the 3rd day I was escorted from the pool by hotel security saying that I should have checked out by 12 am. It was now 13.30 and despite telling the guard that I had arranged the extra night I was 'taken' to the reception desk. It turns out that the extra night hadn't been put together with the original booking and they still had us due to check out that day. I had to go back to the room to collect the receipt I had to prove we were there for another night.
The final straw was when the Air Con stopped working late that night. It was too late to go to reception, so we just made do with the noisy overhead fan.
I could not in all honesty recommend this hotel to anybody, which is a shame as the location is brilliant. If the management were to sort out the staff and get more of a hold on their employees then it has potential, but as it stands I would go somewhere else next time.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank chalced
jamaica
Reviewed August 5, 2013

This resort was perfect for our weekend. We enjoyed the food, facilities and entertainment. I wanted to try out the Tennis Court, but did not have the right footwear. The staff could use some additional "customer-centric training" and the food selection can be improved, however, we considered the resort good value for the cost.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pools or the ocean have a better atmosphere.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Double_DipJamaica
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I stayed here for a week and was in shock as to how some of the employees lacked customer service. We were not attended to properly by the front desk people when we checked in, or inquired about WiFi and other needs. WiFi is not free and you are required to be in the lobby to get complete access. There were times when they ran out of towels to go on the beach.

The food was not good. We were given American food in Jamaica and some of the food that was prepared was not cooked properly (under cooked rice) or was not good. There was very little variety for food selection.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Melia Braco Village
Melia Braco Village
#1 of 1 in Rio Bueno
Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel

Been to Royal Decameron Montego Beach? Share your experiences!