“lovely”

Ranked #23 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
east sussex
“lovely”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

stayed her last January check in was lovely and quick went to our room which was so clean sea view all rooms have sea views we were second floor beach and pol really small but it was so relaxing only a handful of children we were offered to try the new hotel they have taken over in runaway bay we stayed for 4 nights so lovely but only had about 100 odd people huge swimming pools big gym lovely beach food excellent had a great holiday we will be going to Jamaica again but probably try another hotel as e don't return to the same ones people lovely

Room Tip: ask for first or second floor as views are stunning
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (686)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I have been to many properties in the islands, I must say that this one was very well maintained and that the resort overall is a good resort. I would recommend being prepared and on guard should you venture off the property. Additionally, as a male, did not feel uncomfortable on property, but as a single female I would advise to be on your guard even on property.
The activities, entertainment, restaurants and grounds are comperable to what I have experienced at several Club Med resorts.
If you find Jamaica on your list of places to travel, I would recommend this resort as a good value. If you are casually looking at Jamaica, I would recommend a fair amount of research and diligence to make sure you really are up for the adventure.

Room Tip: Most rooms are ocean view and would recommend not getting garden view. Our unit had AC that worked...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Our first stay at the Royal Decameron was in August of 2012 and I found it online looking for a place close to the airport and WE LOVED IT and decided to return again this year. This year we stayed from June 1st - 8th, 2013. We once again had a fantastic time. We were in the Sunset Building room 42 which was one of their suites and it was a simply beautiful ocean view. Large room with a walk in closet, sleeper sofa, table with 2 chairs and flat screen tv sitting on a dresser with drawers. Always had a hot shower and a cool room. This year we decided to travel with a carryon only and we were in and out the airport in record time (nice walking right past the baggage claims area). The resort is a 5 minute ride over. We arrived earlier than check in and our room was not going to be ready for an hour, but they took our luggage, gave us our wrist bands and said we could go have lunch in which we did and took a few pictures. Once our room was ready our wonderful week begin. Food was once again great. For breakfast, I always enjoyed a fresh made to order omelet but they have all different types of breakfast items to suit everyone's tastes. There was always plenty of fruits, salads, dishes with a different theme and once again the breads are amazing. Last year we didn't take advantage of the fancy restaurant, but this year we did 3 nights of the week for a change from the buffet. All you have to do is tell someone in the dinining room you want to go there that evening. The beach areas are always nice and clean and we never had to find a chair, they were always available. They have nightly entertainment along with a nightclub onsite that opens at 11. We made it there one night. They have a schedule of events for the day. I participated in an aquacise class and did line dancing in the sand. Once you walk out the gate you are on the "hip strip" and we went on walks a few times that week. We always felt safe, but also stayed cautious. There are people selling items down the strip, but a nice "NO THANKS" is all you have to say. Shout out to "Chocolate, Pepper and Dominic in the entertainment staff, Jenny and Mark in the dining areas and Paris who held down the watersports.I finally snorkled this year and took a ride on the sailboat. Oh shout out to Captain Poly and his glass bottom boat ride. Also, if your looking for a taxi go right across the street and ask for ZIPP. Tell him Sandy and Kevin sent you over. We met him last year and kept his card. We contacted him again this year and when we arrived, he took us to get cases of water for our room and some small toiletries that we didn't want to pack. Mid week he took us on a day trip to YS Falls. We were gone from 9am to 5pm and he gives an informative tour. We stopped at a Rasta's house and drank fresh coconut water and ate fresh coconuts. They have this as a 3 star, but we would rank it higher. We also had some friends join us from Sunday thru Thursday and they also had an amazing time. We hope to return again next year!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Sandy B
Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

This was my second time at this resort. They do a great job keeping the hotel and grounds up kept. Very convenient location near the airport and walking distance to margaritaville where they have a free water slide and other activities. The entertainment staff at the resort are fantastic! They keep the guests involved with fun games and there is an awesome swim up pool bar. pretty good food and great drinks.

• Stayed June 2013
Noblesville, Indiana
Reviewed June 20, 2013

In short I found the best statement for this hotel is the guests that I met that keep coming year after year to the Royal! Its got a great view, good local food, warm staff, and a local vibe that is most often lost at many other resorts. Yes its not the Ritz, but its gem in its own right. I can see why people keep coming back! As a beach bum type I have been to many, many, swim-up bars etc., but the Royal might just be the best so far....Plane watching, the bar sits right on the Ocean, Mountain views to the left, and a great bar staff that likes to have fun! Keep up the great work to all the staff! I truly enjoyed my visit! And as others plan on returning again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights and I wish I could have stayed longer! I initially made reservations to stay at The Ritz Carlton, but they cancelled my reservation due to renovations (why they even allowed me to book if they knew they were going to have renovations is completely beyond me). My mother and I were a little concerned if we would end up enjoying ourselves on this trip because our hearts were so set on staying at The Ritz, but we were completely impressed with the property, the staff, and the amount of activities that were available. The "Fun Crew" were, well, fun and extremely engaging - I love these guys. I really felt like I was a part of a little family when I was there; everyone took excellent care of me and my mother.

I read a few reviews that had an issue with the "smell" in the rooms? Yes, my room smelled like ocean water - pretty normal for a hotel that's on the beach. Nothing to complain about. As for "flirtatious" staff members? Yes, a few are definitely flirtatious. I never felt uncomfortable or threatened by their behavior though. The majority of them were pretty polite, not aggressive at all. The nearby sounds? Yes, there were sounds of music and the occasional airplane that flew overhead but it didn't bother me at all. If you're a light sleeper and any amount of sound disturbs you, you'll want to stay in a room that's away from the main activity areas.

The food was great, specifically the lunch and dinner (which change every night). Plenty of chicken, pork, fish, rice, veggies, fruits, and various desserts. The breakfast? Eh, definitely lacking. I had a hard time trying to find anything I actually wanted to eat each morning. The scrambled eggs are awful, don't bother with it. The mini pancakes and french toasts were decent though. I would recommend skipping breakfast and just stuffing your face during lunch and dinner. The waiter I had the first two nights was so sweet, I wish I caught his name but he had a bunch of freckles and was incredibly attentive and gave us directions to a place nearby for some authentic jerk chicken.

Tip:
- Do NOT go into the back alley of the Hip Strip. If someone asks you to "check out" their store, don't follow them - they'll lead you to the back alley market. It's not dangerous to be back there, but it's more annoying than anything else. The markets back there actually have cute things to purchase, but everyone is so aggressive and everyone gets in your face and tries to guilt you into buying overpriced stuff. Just avoid it. Like I said, it's not dangerous (they're not going to harm you, believe me) it's just extremely obnoxious. Funny thing is, I probably would've actually bought a lot of the items they had if they just left me alone!

All in all, it was an amazing stay. The view from my room was amazing, the entertainment was amazing (I fire-danced!), the staff was amazing, the property was amazing. Just amazing. I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: #324 has a STUNNING view. If you're fine with music playing/chatter/etc. then definitely get thi...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank degele
Houston, TX
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I have stayed at many all inclusive resorts in Mexico and the Carribean and I would say this is the worst. Our room didn't have A/C and the front desk did little to resolve the problem besides giving us much attitude and could care less attitudes. After being moved to the 3rd room, and having 2 sleepless nights b/c the rooms were like saunas we were finally able to enjoy the vacation. The waitstaff and entertainers are great but front desk and night manager E James could take a lesson in customer service. Along with Nolan Williams who chastised me...really!! I had to give him a few choice words. Never would stay at this resort again and will advise others also. I plan on writing a formal letter to the General Manager!!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay at this resort!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family