“We Really loved it.”

Ranked #22 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
gilson, Il
“We Really loved it.”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

As soon as we got out of the cab from the airport we were greeted by very friendly staff. Even before check in they wanted to know if we needed anything. Checkin went very smooth and much to our surprise the place and our room did not smell like cigerette smoke, like osyster.com had said. The rooms were plain but very clean. Complete with a stocked mini fridge of Red Stripe beer and soda, sprite, coke and diet coke. As we said the room was plain but we weren't there for the room anyway.
There were 3 bars. One in the lobby, where they served me a beer during checkin, one in the main common area and a swim up pool bar. All were stocked with a variety of acohol and soda. And they had many different types of drinks. They could make anything you wanted almost. No mojitos and you could have any kind of beer you wanted as long as it was Red Stripe.But as before the service was friendly and great.
There wwre 3 resturants, the main buffet, which was not opean 24/7, but that was never a problem. They served all 3 meals and were open till 1am for late nite snacks. They even helped me make a couple of quick breakfast sandwichs to go. So we could take them with us before leaving on an off site tour. They also had a grill by the beach that served lunch. And they cooked one of the best cheese burgers that I've had anywhere. And they had a nice la carte sit down place that we never seemed to have time to go to. But we herd it was nice.
All the regular stuff was offered, snorkling, kyakeing,sailing. And if you did not know how to do any of this the friendly staff would teach you with the pateance of Jobe. Tenchnally there were 3 beachs. Two small ones on each end of the resort that were right on the water. The third larger beach sits atop a seawall wih plenty of acsess to the water. All 3 were kepted very clean and the lifeguards checked the water infront of all 3 every morning before letting anyone in.
They had some good shows every night that ranged from just a reggie band to a vegas style to a small circus type acts. All were very enjoyable, including the calipso band in the lobby. They also had a disco that opened at 11pm and ran till 2am but we never made it.
All in all we loved the size of the place ,130 rooms, which gave you the chance to meet other guest. It was never crowded, we did go in September, so that may have something to do with that. They have kids programs but we only seen two young children while we were there, again september might have had something to do with that. It is diffenitly a party resort but it is also very relaxing. Its right off the hipstrip so shopping oppertunitys abound.
We found that some of the things oyster.com said were not all together so. and all we can say, like many repeat guest we met there, we are for sure going back . And did we mention what agreat value it was? Because it was.

Room Tip: We are gettig a ocean view next time.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WilCrouch

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (683)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Oak Park, IL
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Just returned from another trip to Jamaica and this amazing hotel. Was also there last month. This trip was designed to introduce my grandson to snorkeling in one of the best places to learn. First step was a pool instruction from one of the lifeguards, Ivan, who should have a Ph. D in child psychology. Within minutes he had grandson, age 7, comfortable with his mask and snorkel, and soon we were in real water, the beach where the reef comes right in to shore, and there is lots of coral and thousands of fish. We had our choice of four snorkel sites on the property. The water in June is beautiful -- a myriad of turquoise and blue colors -- warm and calm. It was hard to keep him out of the water, and he loved the hotel which is very child-friendly. It is clean and well taken care of on a daily basis; the staff is constantly cleaning and painting and making improvements.
We went across the street to the tennis facility where they have free lessons every morning, and my grandson loved playing tennis with Garnett, one of the pros. This is a great opportunity for tennis players to meet local players who are there every day. This goes way beyond the typical tourist experience. The pros are great guys who encourage local young players and immediately make you feel welcome, no matter what level you are on.
Food is more than adequate -- some food items are top notch, like the pastries and desserts prepared by a young woman chef. There are many options for vegetarians. If you don't like spicy food, there might be a slight problem but you will find enough to eat in the three restaurant choices. Breakfast is always wonderful -- with fresh-made omelettes, pancakes, French toast, and lots of delicious fresh papaya and mango at this time of the year. All in all we had a great time -- my son and grandson didn't have enough time to do all of the watersports available -- pedal boats, kayaks, rafts, catamaran sailing. Mostly we snorkeled and enjoyed searching for our favorite fish.
Go in June if you want the warmest, clearest water for snorkeling.

Room Tip: We liked rooms 1 through 12 for quiet, proximity to water, and privacy.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank RobertaOakParkIL
Topeka, Kansas
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Will be going to Jamaica next week and will be staying at this resort. Will be second time staying at this resort because we loved it so much last time we were here and that was April of 2012..I really dont understand all the bad reviews because this place is a jewel, and the employees are wonderful, and the locals on the hip strip are fun to be around. Will post another review when we get back from this lovely place.....

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank babygirl2701
toronto, ON
Reviewed June 3, 2013

This hotel is saturated with opportunistic employees who have 2 goals.
1) Get laid by foreigners (as many as possible in one day/night).
2) Con foreigners out of their money
Don’t tell any employees your room number – and do not ask them for any kind of favour – or they won’t leave you alone all week. I had to change rooms because my Bellboy kept coming and knocking on my door just because I asked him about tours on the way to my room.
The men were aggressive. Actually trying to get me into their rooms or trying to get me to tell them mine so they could “visit.” These are employees of the Hotel. Very odd practice as most Caribbean resorts tell their staff not to engage in more than flirtation – lest they be fired.
Be aware of the Jamaican ruse. They tell you something’s free and when you insist on paying, they charge you double what it is worth. I had this happen with the Bellboy (who offered me a free city tour – which later went up to $100 - $60 more than the same tour offered by the Airline’s Representative). This happened all over the place. The beach trolls are especially bad. One guy actually snorkeled into our private waters to sell $10 bracelets he picked up for 50 cents at the market.
You get stalked everywhere. I was getting harassed at my hotel and when I left the hotel, it was even worse. I have been to Cuba, Dominican and I’m no stranger to aggressive men or sales people, but Jamaica is another story. People will literally follow you for 15 minutes if you pay them any attention. Not a place for a polite “no thanks.” Literally, don’t say anything and walk away.
Don’t go alone as a single girl unless you keep a tight hand on your money and you are looking for a “sexy vacation.”
Don’t even go out alone after dark if you’re a guy. A guy friend I met said the pimps and prostitutes on the nightclub strip were so aggressive that he got a cab rather than walk the 10 minutes to our hotel.

Also – to be noted is that I tipped the maid every day and never got anything nice! The people I met who came as couples all got special flowers and towel decorations. They treat you so bad here when you travel alone. I was also placed on the second floor by the maid cart and elevator and there was no sleeping! loud music all night - elevators and maids yelling at 5:30 am. I moved to another room later - after much fighting and it was nicer. The best part was how my room was a Nanny room that connected to a strangers' room (so safe when you travel alone - not!) and the Ocean "View" was blocked by a bunch of palm trees planted directly outside my window.

I did meet some very fun people. It’s definitely a party hotel. I just do not think anywhere in Montego Bay is safe when you’re alone - unless you are a Jamaican yourself.

Please note that i was there in June 2011.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
10 Thank Solo_Travelholic
Toronto
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Let me begin by saying that I would give the Decameron 5 stars, but in all fairness there were a few little things that were just niggles that in no way impacted my stay in a really negative way, but would keep me from giving it a full 5 points in an objective review. If you are a persnickety person who likes to look fair faults, then this is not your place. If you're laid back and looking for a beautiful, lush resort with friendly staff, stunning views many return guests, this is your place!

First of all, the photos here do not to this resort justice. Sure, they're all nice photos, but this place is an oasis of crystal blue water, heavenly sunsets, well kept gardens with fruit trees, beautiful flowers and staff who are more than happy to talk to you about the vegetation. Patrick, one of the gardeners, picked us fresh mangoes and coconuts, another showed us a secret graveyard and yet another picked us some Aloe Vera for our sunburns.

The wait/bar staff were a little reserved at first, but if you talk to them and take an interest instead of waving them off, you get to know them and they are happy to joke and laugh with you. Tipping does help, a few dollars here and there, but they don't expect a lot. If you're high maintenance and want to be waited on hand and foot- and have Butler service on the beach- go to Sandals and pay a thousand more for the week. But if you can can catch the Jamaican vibe, kick back and relax, you will do just fine here.

The food was hit and miss for me. Perhaps I had a hard time enjoying some of the buffet things because it was soooooo hot. I'm a Sweaty Betty and after making my way to the cooking station for food and getting back to the table, I was super hot and not interested in eating anything but salad. Having said this-- I do prefer the open air by the water style to an air conditioned bubble. They did have some amazing oxtail and goat curry but I was disappointed at the lack of fresh seafood. They used imitation crab meat, which is not my favourite and mostly had mussels in a cold salad. When they did have shrimp, many of the guests picked them out leaving none for others. There was a nice chick pea salad every day and despite the heat, I enjoyed the soups. The pasta station at lunch was good and I loved the hot scotch bonnet sauce on everything!! We only ate at the a la carte once and it was fairly good. My friend had the filet, which was tender, but small and I had some nice plump shrimp with mashed potatoes. The desserts were great, too. White and red wine were both drinkable, but preferred the white. Cocktails were as strong as you wanted them to be made, but I can't drink a lot of sweet beverages or I get sick, so I avoided them in favour of water or wine. The swim up bar was awesome.. drinking and listening to Reggae while watching the planes land over the blue sea was a wonderful island vacation treat.

I really liked the deep water area with the tanning docks and the water trampoline. Excellent place to swim and tread water. The beaches were small and man made. I'll confess that I avoided coming to this resort in the past because of this, but I loved the deep water so much that I didn't miss being on a long beach and the variety of locations was refreshing.

The beach grill was a fabulous place to cool off in the afternoon. My only complaint here-- PLEASE stop playing Celine Dion, Kenny Rogers and Whitney Houston ALL afternoon. One day they had some Bob Marley and that was nice but anything other than the Diva pop! Hammocks were great for chilling.

We were in the main building on the second floor. Rooms were basic but had lots of satellite channels. The air conditioning worked well and we had a nice view of the sea with a few palm trees for context. Beds were comfortable and bouncy and pillows were of varying degrees of fluffiness, which I liked. We had a slow leak from our toilet, but couldn't be bothered to call the desk about it as there wasn't a lot of water.

If you need more than the 2 litres of water a day that they give you in your room you can go to any of the bars or the buffet and they are happy to fill it for you. The water and ice are completely drinkable. I opted for my own thermal mug and lots of ice and water from the Beach grill.

My friend snorkeled and said there were tons of fish.

There is no problem going off the resort and walking down the hip strip. If you don't want to shop, just tell the sales people calling you "no thanks-- next time, mon!" and they will be friendly after that. The biggest insult to a Jamaican seems to be ignorance. As long as you acknowledge and show some respect, you receive it in abundance. The Jamaicans are very friendly people who have great senses of humour. Connecting with them is truly a joy.

I can't fault this resort for much. It's a beautiful place for a beach vacation with lots of excursions to take. It wouldn't be my first choice for a culinary escape, but for it's proximity to the airport, the water and the gorgeous views. Not to mention the reasonable price.

When I come back to Jamaica, it will be here, but I would come in a month when it is a little cooler. I can see now why so many people return to this gem of a resort. See you in January??

P.S. I'd also like to add a big "YAY" to Trip Advisor for bringing back the percentage ratings!

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad room in the house.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
18 Thank jenabee
Portland
Reviewed May 30, 2013

the view, food, drinks, staff, and especially the snorkeling was great! Very kind staff that are very helpful and entertaining. The entertainment was very good with a variety of things. I plan on going back for sure with the kids.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Randy P
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed May 30, 2013

We stayed at Royal Decameron for 7 nights. Was a great experience, costumer services is great. They are very focus on help you have a great vacations.
Hope to go there sometime soon again.

I recommend room 307, very well kept and with incredible view.

Room Tip: Room 307 is great
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple