New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #19 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
Spokane, Washington
“Could be better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

We stayed at the Royal Decameron, Montego Bay for 5 nights in April. The guy that took our bags when we got there was great! Very friendly and upbeat. The rest of our check in didn’t go as well. When we went to the front desk for check in a couple people were working behind the desk. They didn’t greet us right away and took their time as they had conversations with each other and other workers in the lobby. We were ignored for a bit and then the female working at the desk asked for our names and passports. She said our room wasn’t ready and that we could go have lunch and check back. We did that. Room still wasn’t ready. We were really tired because we took an overnight flight to get there so I was a little annoyed because we had asked for an early check in and were told it wouldn’t be a problem. We figured well, what can you do? So we waited. Walked around. Waited. Came back to the front desk again an hour and ½ later because we were hot and tired and wanted to sleep so we decided to wait there until our room was ready. After several annoyed glances from the guy at the front desk, he called us up. I won’t put his full name in here although I know it but the first letter on his name tag was “M” and he really should not be working in the service industry. He clearly does not like people. At any rate, he put us in a first floor room which was old, dingy and smelled like smoke. We returned again to the front desk and asked to be moved to a higher floor as originally requested. He said that was not on the request (although I’m sure it was) and had a look on his face that said, too bad, so sad, get out of here and stop bothering me. I know I had requested this because I’m particular about these things and called the hotel in advance not once but twice. Once to make the request several weeks ahead and once a week before to verify they had the request. Anyway, I was pretty miffed at that point and asked for a manager to which I was denied saying she wasn’t around. I said fine, I would come back. When we did, we spent a good amount of time trying to explain things all over again and kept hitting a brick wall. She finally said we could try switching rooms the next day. When I asked what time I could come to the front desk and who I could talk to the next day she out of nowhere found another room for us! I feel like they knew we weren’t’ going to go away and just wanted to put an end to it. As a customer, you shouldn’t have to go to those lengths to get something you asked for in the first place. There were other people we met there during our stay that had the same problem so apparently it isn’t unusual. Not a good sign.

That being said, the first day was the worst of it. The rest of the stay was okay. The room we ended up with was nice and had a good view. The room was clean and maid service was decent. Being right on the water was great and the entertainment was fun to watch and be a part of. The food is another story. It wasn’t that great from the get go so we were being careful about what we ate. Even so, two of the four people we were traveling with got sick the same night (and not the drinking kind of sick). While I can’t say with 100% certainty it was the food, it was enough of a coincidence for me. I pretty much lived on Pringles I bought from the store from that point until we left.

Overall, I would say this is an average hotel, not luxury in any way but it is right on the water so that’s really nice. The front desk staff issues need to be addressed. Since I spent so much time talking about the front desk in my review, I should also add that there was one nice guy that was there the second time we went back to ask for a manager. He’s the one that got her for us and really seemed like he wanted to help. I didn’t see his name but he was much taller than the first guy. The rest of them could take a few lessons from him on how to interact with people.

All in all, I would say that the hotel is adequate for the money you pay. Just be really careful about what you eat and don’t expect good service. We won’t be returning.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Liz J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (650)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
MARYLAND
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Excellent location and most staff are excellent especially the front desk staff. Food was just ok. The entertainment staff was doing a great job. The beach is the best. If you want to be on the Hip Strip close to everything and where the is then this is the place for you

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank jb423
Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

After a decent 9 hour flight across the Atlantic we checked in to one of the rooms in the Sunset Building away from the main hotel. Very pleasant room- flat screen TV, fantastic ocean views with brilliant sunsets- 2 huge and very comfortable double beds!

.I guess it's usually around this time when you look for little niggles but I'm here back in England and didn't find one!

I was just reading that someone didn't like the food or some of the staff! I just went "What!? Can't have stayed where I just did" Often in All Inclusive the food is "bland international fayre" but not here. There was lots of choice you just had to find something you liked and all the staff in the dining room were great. I often think it's how you treat them. The restaurant overlooked the sea which was beautiful!
The A la carte was good quality too and unlike many resorts it was at no extra cost.Try the fruit juices at breakfast - everything from Beetroot to Cucumber, Melon to Papaya.

I'm not big on Entertainment teams but Siddique and the guys were brilliant - just great fun. I enjoyed the entertainment every evening - some top quality entertainers. Well done to Britney, Chocolate, the big man Sprinkles and the rest who were movin' non stop for a fortnight! "To the beat, to the beat!"

There are lots of sunbeds- we like the beach to the left of the hotel where you could walk into the sea and the Beach bar was nearby for lunch where if you fancied a change you could get a burger - they still had delicious Jerk chicken too!

Try the glass bottom boat trip with Captain Poly - entertaining guy who will take you round the bay where he's been sailing for 30 years.You'll always find him at the end of the pier to the right of the restaurant.

We took one trip to Dunnes River falls with the tour company - too much "shopping" for me but the falls were great. I would recommend searching out one of the taxis opposite the hotel. We found a really nice guy called Hilton Forsythe who took us serenely to Negril and Rick's cafe. He took his time to tell us all about wildlife, fauna and history - a really good guy and highly recommended.

Then we sunbathed.....read a few good books...were treated to a big storm on the next to last day - very dramatic!

Overall this was the best holiday I've had for a long time - well worth the long flight -got free "big seats" in Premium coming back to make the holiday complete! I hope I can go again soon.

A big "thank you" to everyone at the Royal Decameron - absolute tops!!

Room Tip: We got Room 26 - first floor Sunset Building - nice and quiet with stunning Ocean views.
9 Thank tigersam
Jackson, Mississippi
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Upon arrival, I believe the cab ride was $15.00 US for 2 to the Royal Decameron. We arrived about 3:30 PM and RM 210 in the main bldg was ready. The RM was clean and cool (not cold) which improved once we lowered the temperature. I didn't know 86 degrees was so hot and I’m from Mississippi. Lol... The drinks were good, strong and plentiful, thanks to Mark (lobby bar) who kept them coming. I wasn't hassled to tip at the hotel either. Everyone was helpful. I also enjoyed Stephen who is a waiter at the Souk Restaurant at the hotel. I really enjoyed the entertainment shows that started at 8 PM. The beach was small but nice. I never had an issue getting chairs on the beach and I took my own beach towel, as to not occur any unexpected expenses since the reviews I read prior to my trip stated that they charge for beach towels. I also took my on Ketchup per previous reviews and a larger insulated cup, and I'm glad I did. Being from the US, I felt there could have been more American food. I didn't eat a lot of the other foods. This is a 3 star hotel so don't go to this hotel if you are expecting a 5 star experience. My shower needed to be caulked but that was the only issue I had and I was fine with that for 4 nights. There wasn’t premium liquor at this establishment only local liquor or what have you. I liked the fact that this hotel was on the Hip Strip and that's the reason I chose it. I wanted to be able to walk and mingle with the locals only to find that foreigners have taken over Jamaica too. Beware, you will be hassled to visit the stores but if you aren't interested, just keep walking, they'll leave you alone. I meet some nice people at this location as well. Overall, good trip and I will be back.

Room Tip: RM 210 was just fine for me... I peeked in a room at the Sunset bldg and it was very small. I meet a...
2 Thank buttin_00
Silver Spring, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

My wife and I visited the Royal Decameron for the first time on April 27th. The first thing I liked was the location...only five minutes from the airport! We arrived around noon and I requested a room in the Sunset building because of reviews I had read on Tripadvisor. The room was not ready...check-in time is 3pm. In the meantime we had lunch, checked out the resort, and hung out at one of the bars.
We got room #1 and were very pleased. The room was huge with a king size bed and very clean. The beach was 50 yards from our door and it was always easy to get a good "spot". The location was perfect for watching the planes coming in from all over the world! The water was awesome...I enjoyed just floating...very relaxing.
The food was too good...we both put on a couple of pounds...and the service was great! We ate at the grill and the main restaurant.
The shows after dinner were awesome! We were very impressed with professionalism of the vocalists, dancers,and the musicians!
Wifi is $5.00/hour and only available the lobby...for those of you dependent on technology. It didn't phase me...the purpose of my vacation was to disconnect and unwind.
We're planning our next visit already!!

Room Tip: Sunset building room #1 is the best!
6 Thank Anthony M
Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Royal Decameron for our Honeymoon in March, 2013. Overall, we had a pretty good experience. Overall our experience was good, but we weren't too impressed with anything.

LOCATION

The location was pretty good. We loved the crystal clear water and the great ocean and sunset views. It is a short 5 minute drive from the airport, and there were plenty of taxis waiting at the airport to give us a ride, which was $15. The hotel is located on the hip strip, which can be good and bad. There are a lot of shops along the strip, but many of them sell the same stuff. Also, if you walk out of the resort, prepare to be hassled non-stop by street vendors. There are usually a handful of them waiting outside the gate to the resort waiting on people to leave so they can get you to come take a look at their stuff. We noticed though that if you just say "no thanks" and keep walking, they will leave you alone.

HOTEL

We arrived around 3:00 on a Monday and were checked in within about 10-15 minutes. The staff was mostly nice, with the exception of one of the guys at the front desk. There was a nice gentleman who took our bags to our room and got us a drink from the bar while we were waiting to check in. We had an oceanview room on the 2nd floor and were pleased with it. I know a lot of people had problems with their water or the A/C, but we didn't have any issues. Our room also had a great view of the ocean. It smelled a little funny at first, but after about an hour of having the sliding doors open the smell was gone. We liked the different activities available at the resort including basketball, volleyball, kayaking, paddleboating, and other water activities. The water was rough for most of the trip, so we didn't get to do a lot of water activities, but we did get to go paddleboating and it was a lot of fun.

FOOD/DRINKS

I have some poor reviews of the food and, honestly, I don't know what they are talking about. We both thought the food was great! They had so many different things at the buffet that we would not have normally eaten in America. Souk (the fancier restaurant) was very good as well. The Beach Grill was OK for a quick snack, but don't plan on eating a full meal there. The grill offers a lot of American food to appeal to the tourists, but they don't make it as well. But, what's the point of going to Jamaica if you're just eating to eat a hot dog or french fries? Eat the local food, you can eat American food any time you want!

One thing that we were very disappointed with was the drinks. The pop didn't taste right - it almost seemed syrupy. Anytime we got a mixed drink it was either very watered down or basically straight liquor. Perhaps they just make the drinks differently there, but we didn't have any mixed drinks that were mixed correctly. However, the Red Stripe was great and plentiful, and the Rum Cream was great as well.

STAFF

As I mentioned earlier the staff was nice for the most part. The people at the front desk, with the exception of the one male, who seemed like it was an annoyance to help anyone with anything, were very nice and helpful. The waiters at the buffet and the were all very nice and made our experience great. One of the lifeguards approached us when we got there and helped us plan a 1-day trip to Negril. While the trip was pretty good, we were misled about the price. He told us it would be $60 per person, for a total of $120. However, this did not include admission to Mayfield Falls, another $40 at $20/person. Then, at the end of the tour, the guides basically asked you to give them a tip. The trip takes place out in the middle of the jungle, so there was nowhere to get change and all I had was a $20. Also, you HAVE to have water shoes to go through the tour of the falls, which was another $20. On top of that we had food in Negril and things to eat along the way, which ended up being about $50. So, the $120 that we were quoted ended up being well over $200. However, we did have a good time, especially at Rick's Cafe. The other stop was 7-mile beach in Negril. We ate at Margeritaville and regret it. The food wasn't very good and was way too expensive. But, the trip allowed us to see another side of Jamaica that we wouldn't have normally seen.

OVERALL

Overall I would rate our trip at about 3.5 out of 5. The hotel was nice for the most part, but you can see why this is one of the cheaper resorts in the area. If you have a bigger budget to work off of, I would look at other resorts in the area. But, if your budget is smaller, like ours was (total of about $2,200 with airfare and 5 nights), the Royal Decameron is a pretty good choice.

Room Tip: You came to Jamaica to see the ocean, so make sure to get an oceanview room! They are only $10 more...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank YeaMon33
Ft Worth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

Im going to start with....I WILL BE BACK :). Royal Decamron was Great..from the time we got there til the time we left... Me,my cousin.and two co workers arrived on a Friday and left the following Friday..we we're greeted with a smile and a cool welcome drink..we were then taken to our rooms which were ocean front..our room had a front door which was garden view and the back were glass double doors of view of the ocean..a rest room with toilet and tub..2 Vanity area areas one with a sink...a small closet area with a rack for swim suits to dry, ironing board and coat hangers..2 double beds...and they were VERY comfortable..the breakfast was my favorite meal of the day...fresh while u wait omelet..the fresh baked bread was wonderful.. Entertainment was good every night...club was rocking every night..late night grill had good jerk chicken..laying out on the beach was lovely...shout out to the staff...hip strip was full of shops, small markets, the clubs...all not far from the hotel...this property is wonderful and I highly recommend you see for yourself..

Dee

Room Tip: We were in room 14
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
#17 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.0 of 5 bubbles 5,872 reviews
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel

Been to Royal Decameron Montego Beach? Share your experiences!