We stayed at the Royal Decameron, Montego Bay for 5 nights in April. The guy that took our bags when we got there was great! Very friendly and upbeat. The rest of our check in didn’t go as well. When we went to the front desk for check in a couple people were working behind the desk. They didn’t greet us right away and took their time as they had conversations with each other and other workers in the lobby. We were ignored for a bit and then the female working at the desk asked for our names and passports. She said our room wasn’t ready and that we could go have lunch and check back. We did that. Room still wasn’t ready. We were really tired because we took an overnight flight to get there so I was a little annoyed because we had asked for an early check in and were told it wouldn’t be a problem. We figured well, what can you do? So we waited. Walked around. Waited. Came back to the front desk again an hour and ½ later because we were hot and tired and wanted to sleep so we decided to wait there until our room was ready. After several annoyed glances from the guy at the front desk, he called us up. I won’t put his full name in here although I know it but the first letter on his name tag was “M” and he really should not be working in the service industry. He clearly does not like people. At any rate, he put us in a first floor room which was old, dingy and smelled like smoke. We returned again to the front desk and asked to be moved to a higher floor as originally requested. He said that was not on the request (although I’m sure it was) and had a look on his face that said, too bad, so sad, get out of here and stop bothering me. I know I had requested this because I’m particular about these things and called the hotel in advance not once but twice. Once to make the request several weeks ahead and once a week before to verify they had the request. Anyway, I was pretty miffed at that point and asked for a manager to which I was denied saying she wasn’t around. I said fine, I would come back. When we did, we spent a good amount of time trying to explain things all over again and kept hitting a brick wall. She finally said we could try switching rooms the next day. When I asked what time I could come to the front desk and who I could talk to the next day she out of nowhere found another room for us! I feel like they knew we weren’t’ going to go away and just wanted to put an end to it. As a customer, you shouldn’t have to go to those lengths to get something you asked for in the first place. There were other people we met there during our stay that had the same problem so apparently it isn’t unusual. Not a good sign.
That being said, the first day was the worst of it. The rest of the stay was okay. The room we ended up with was nice and had a good view. The room was clean and maid service was decent. Being right on the water was great and the entertainment was fun to watch and be a part of. The food is another story. It wasn’t that great from the get go so we were being careful about what we ate. Even so, two of the four people we were traveling with got sick the same night (and not the drinking kind of sick). While I can’t say with 100% certainty it was the food, it was enough of a coincidence for me. I pretty much lived on Pringles I bought from the store from that point until we left.
Overall, I would say this is an average hotel, not luxury in any way but it is right on the water so that’s really nice. The front desk staff issues need to be addressed. Since I spent so much time talking about the front desk in my review, I should also add that there was one nice guy that was there the second time we went back to ask for a manager. He’s the one that got her for us and really seemed like he wanted to help. I didn’t see his name but he was much taller than the first guy. The rest of them could take a few lessons from him on how to interact with people.
All in all, I would say that the hotel is adequate for the money you pay. Just be really careful about what you eat and don’t expect good service. We won’t be returning.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located five minutes away from Montego Bay International Airport near the commercial district and the Hip Strip, Royal Decameron Montego Beach is a beachfront property on white sandy beaches with crystal clear waters. Its facilities and ensure a relaxing holiday environment. This hotel has two restaurants, PassaPassa and Souk, where you can enjoy different international and regional dishes. During the day, you can partake in different recreational activities including dance lessons, aerobics and non-motorized water sports like kayaks, sailboats and diving lessons in the pool. In the evenings, enjoy our shows and dance till you drop at the disco of the Royal Decameron Montego Beach hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotwire, Travelocity, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelsforEveryone, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, Agoda and HotelQuickly so you can book your Royal Decameron Montego Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jack Tar Village
- Royal Decameron Montego Beach Bay
- Royal Decameron Jamaica
- Royal Decameron Montego Beach Hotel
- Royal Decameron Montego Bay Jamaica
- Montego Beach
- Decameron Montego Bay
- Royal Decameron Montego Beach All Inclusive