“Good all-rounder”

Ranked #25 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Preston, United Kingdom
“Good all-rounder”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed at this hotel in November 2012. The views from the outset are nothing less than spectacular. Food was plentiful if a little unimaginative but for the price and location it would be hard to beat

• Stayed November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (694)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We were upgraded to this property from the Fun property. I am so glad!

The food was wonderful. Loved all the fresh fruit and juices. Dined at Souk two nights, it was amazing! The bed was soooo comfortable. Loved that all the rooms had balconies facing the ocean. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kristen7602
Truro, Nova Scotia, Canada
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Since this was my first trip to Jamaica I don't have much to compare it to...but I must say I was happy with the atmosphere, beaches and overall service. As others have reported, the rooms were a bit outdated, but clean and comfortable. We had efficient air conditioning and ceiling fan, a balcony overlooking the beach and we were able to enjoy the climate right from that viewpoint.By having three seperated swim areas, we felt that we were able to enjoy whatever mood struck us - whether it was jumping off the pier and laying on the trampoline, or being near the beach bar and a very family oriented walk in beach, the third area was just as beautiful with very little concern over rocks - great for swimming or treading water. There were plenty of beach chairs - no worries of getting up early and saving a chair - with sufficient shade coverage from the coconut trees and cabannas right on the beach. For when you wanted to lay out in the sun, they also had plenty of large mattresses with pillows. Absolutely no complaint regarding the beaches. The beach towels were sometimes limited and a little difficult to get at times, but either take your own or be patient - staff are constantly working towards your comfort. Staff were always pleasant, interactive and if you noticed, they worked from dawn to dusk in every capacity. Many of the even entertainers were busy with participation activities, kids games and just walking around entertaining the guest through the day. No they didn't provide drink service on the beach - but if we asked anyone of the young men walking by picking up the empties, they were more than happy to deliver. There are three bars, one opens at 10:00, second at 11:00 and the third at 12:00. You can get almost any mixed drink (just ask) and beer - being a cooler girl I missed my Smirnoff - but after having a few dirty bananas, I managed. It seemed to me that most people wanted to get up and walk around a bit and mingle, so going to any of the bars didn't seem to be a problem - didn't hear any complaints. We never found any of the staff anxious to get your money, so we never had a problem leaving some behind. Guess if you feel this was a problem, I woudl recommend you tip initially, then continue on to the same bar each time. These kids really do work hard and they definately pour more than a single...so enjoy. The staff were usually always singing and dancing no matter what their job was, and eager to engage you however briefly to say good morning or ask how your day was going. Bath towels were a problem the first day or two, but it cleared itself up quickly when they realized we needed clean towels every day (really not a necessary requirement - even here at home). Much of the food was clultural, but the six of us never went hungry...there was always a huge selection of fruit, vegetables - absolutely delicious breads, soups, fries, mashed potatoes, meats, sweets and juices. The waitresses/waiters never let your water, drink or coffee cup get empty and were there to pick up the dirty dishes so you could get seconds.For those who wanted it, breakfast was porriage, eggs of any kind, bacon, sausage - bread for toasting - and always fresh fruit. The only thing we missed was a glass of milk and some yougart and coffee or tea in our rooms. Again, if anything - we gained weight on this trip! By spending an early rising morning on the beach, we usually caved in and missed most of the evening entertainment - but by sitting on your balcony we could hear it and knew it was going well. We just closed our patio doors and usually the sound was diminished enough to not disturb you....as well all you had to do was turn on the TV for some familiar programs. Definately stay away from the market if you venture off the resort, but a walk up the strip can definately be an experience. Not for or against the resort - but there were many young couples with children of all ages, and it definately was not an issue for any of us - the children were well behaved and seemed to enjoy the atmosphere as well. As with any travel, there is always things that could be better - but for your money, this is a great small resort with enough going on to keep you busy all day if you want to get involved. Would definately return! Enjoy the culture - enjoy the atmosphere - that's why you travelled there!!!!

Room Tip: We enjoyed the ocenview - on the third and fourth floor - no complaints from any of us - we had a gr...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank Bertha H
Massachusetts
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We visited the Royal Decameron in February of 2013. Check in was smooth but desk isn't really friendly. They weren't rude, but they don't go out of their way to be that helpful. We met Adonis, who is the resort's activity director and he was very helpful and a great guy!! Shout out to Adonis from Debbie and Dave!!
Room: We had an ocean front room, which we absolutely loved! I would go back just to stay so close to the ocean!!
Room was large and we loved the fact that you could walk right out of our room (1st floor) to the ocean. Had to pay $2 for safe when you checked in. We didn't really have any problem with hot water as others had stated. Air conditioning worked great.
Food: We found that the food got boring after awhile. I would have liked at least one more sit down restaurant. The buffet was fine but did become repetitive after 7 days. The sit down restaurant was nice and the wait staff was very friendly. DO NOT eat the steak at the sit down restaurant. It is very tough. We met others who said the same thing. Best dish is the shrimp chow mein!! Loved that! There is a grill located at the end of the beach which was good for burgers and fries. They also have self-serve beer. It opens up again late night after the show ends for snacks.
Loved the Jamaican music in the lobby every day during lunch and dinner hours.
Bars: Bars don't open until 10 every day. So there are no Mimosas or Bloody Mary's for breakfast. You can get a Bloody Mary at the bars but no Mimosas. They do not serve champagne anywhere, which I found very strange. We have stayed at at least 7 other all inclusives from 3-5 stars and they all served sparkling. This was disappointing to me, but definitely not a deal breaker. Other drinks were good and they have different kinds of liquor but all bar brands.
Other facts: Loved the entertainment and dancers were great. They do have a disco that opens at 11. We had wished it opened early as we would have gone there more. We did walk the Hip Strip and went for a VERY long walk past Margaritaville and we were safe. We were a bit skeptical at first about the safety, but there are security people all up and down the strip and we talked to them and they said it is very safe. If you want good Jamaican jerk barbecue there is a place about a half mile past Margaritaville on the opposite side of the road that serves some delicious food in a real Jamaican atmosphere. We also found a really nice taxi driver named Finley that took us on our excursion to snorkel. We ended up having him come back to the resort and he took us to another Jamaican barbecue played named Scotchies that was delicious!! At first, it was intimidating, going off somewhere we'd never been, but he actually parked the taxi and came into the barbecue place with us and ordered our food and stayed with us the whole time!! What a great guy!! I had mentioned to him that we had never had bread fruit (which grows behind the resort on trees) and he actually came back on the day we were leaving and brought us a bag of peeled bread fruit and sugar cane to take home! If any one is interested in a safe driver, please email or message me I have his card and number.
All in all, I would definitely stay at the Royal Decamaron again. Hopefully soon!!!

Room Tip: Any of rooms with ocean view are great. There aren't many garden views. 1st floor is the best!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Springhill, Nova Scotia
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We stayed at the Royal Decameron MB March 30th-April 6th. There were 6 of us.

Check in was ok, a bit slow but no problems. The rooms were nice, a bit dated but nice. You will have to spend extra for a safe and a fridge if you want these things, but we knew this before we went so it was no big deal. The fridge is not stocked, you will have to stock it yourself from the little convenience store on site. The rooms in the taller building are very noisy so I suggest if you want quiet to try the Sunset building. The views were to die for and most of the rooms have a great ocean view. The beds were comfortable and kept very clean.

Beach: the beach was awesome, not long sandy beaches like in Negril but very deep water for diving and snorkeling and also spots for walk in. The swimming was great and we didnt really need to go near the pool (which is quite small and shallow).

Service was average but I think this might be par for the course in Jamaica.

Food: was average, but the bread was awesome, best I have ever tasted and they make it onsite. The A la Carte wasnt really worth the trouble. Portions were small (but had great presentation) and the taste was mediocre, they only offer red or white wine, no mixed drinks or beer. The beach grill was nice, try the jerk wings as they were great. If you are a picky eater you may have trouble finding something to eat on certain days. But try to be a bit adventurous and try some Jamaican options, even if you dont like it, you have at least tried it :-)

The drinks were not very inventive and the margaritas were aweful. I didnt really find one I fell in love with, although the dirty bannanas were good. I mostly stuck to the beer.

The entertainment was nice. I didnt really stay up for most of it but my friends said it was pretty good.

I love the size of this resort, it was the perfect size and directly on the water.

The Hip Strip was not what I expected. Very agressive vendors, especially in the little Jamaican market at the start of the strip. Dont go in there as it will take you forever to get out and you wont have a nice experience.

Margaritaville was way over priced and very loud, I wouldnt suggest taking kids there at all. I can see where the appeal is for the younger croud but you better bring lots of money.

You can drink the water in Jamaica as it is all purified

If you need a taxi or want a great tour of the real Jamaica, please give Zipp's Taxi Service a try. Zipp was great, he took us on an awesome tour around Montego Bay and up in the mountains to see Jamaican villages. He is an awesome tour guide and very knowledgable. Dont let the hotel travel agents scare you off, Zipp is totally safe and we had an awesome day with him.

All in all, it was a very fun vacation. If you have any questions, please send me a message and I'll try to answer to the best of my knowledge.

Room Tip: try the sunset building, it might be quieter
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Oceansong2001
Oxford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 4, 2013

The service in the Royal Decameron was hit and miss. I had to report a few issues with our room, specifically that the bed was broken and the reception were not very interested in getting it looked at in any time frame at all, eventually going so far as to express that he "doesn't exactly believe me" when I reported that the eventual repair job was actually a rock under the bed. The staff make it VERY clear that they are working for tips, I know this is expected, but they make it VERY obvious. At times, you have no cash on you, such as when you are swimming, but some of the bar staff in particular (many of whom are quite rude anyway) get a real attitude with those customers that do not tip them. The manager is a Spanish guy who swaggers about looking mean, very unfriendly chap really. He was around when I got het up over my ongoing bed issue and wasn't in the least bit interested.

There was a really cool porter, really nice lad. A very helpful waitress in the a la cart restaurant. One other exception is the captain of the glass bottomed boat, nice guy and his snorkelling trips are both beautiful ad a bargain (along with a little tour of the neighbouring beaches).

The toilets beside the pools are a disgrace, but the place is superficially well maintained otherwise.

The bars (beach, inside and pool) are okay, but the drinks are quite weak and served in small glasses (no jugs) so you have to go back quite regularly, which can mean a wait in a queue and another quick fire tip. My advice is to bring your own pint glass and tell the bar staff that you know that they have some proper alcohol in the cupboards (this way they served us Jim Beam, rather than the watered down local-label stuff). The food from the alacarte restaurant is quite good, but on the small size. The buffet restaurant has allot to choose from, the fresh bread and the grills manned by chefs are good. If you get to the beach restaurant at lunch time you'll get some very good Jerk Pork. There is internet at $5 per hour or $20 per 24 hours, however, the wifi didn't reach our room, so we had to go to the lobby or log onto one of their two desktop computers. The two pools and hot tub are good, but then there is a beautiful beach with perfect crystal clear sea, segmented up by narrow piers/jetties. The beach isn't that long, to the right of it there is a deck instead and to the left there is a ladder down a man made wall. But the beach that there is is beautiful and this alone brings the review back up to standard a little.

The entertainment is alright, with the entertainers working quite hard and running something, somewhere, most of the time. However, they tend to get people up on stage and then all compete to outdo each other, showing off themselves, often standing in front of the guests. The compère was memorable, with his catchphrase "Aplause-O". They ALSO have a nightclub (or should I say Disco) called Glitters, but it's pretty tragic and has a musty aroma.

The rooms are of a good size, the beds are comfortable (once ours was fixed). However, we also had an issue with the shower being faulty (solved alongside the bed issue). Room 20A was very far from the busy centre of the resort and, as such, is quite quiet, however, there were a few ants in the bathroom (not many). There was also an unlocked door between our room and room 20, when both were occupied, our friends were in there so it didn't matter so much, but our friend had arranged to move there, otherwise it would have been strangers.

The location is good enough, the graveyard next door has a few dodgy kinds outside, but past this, there is a strip of bars and we ventured out a few times and all got back safely. We also went out to find "authentic" places to shop, but after being absolutely harangued in the little craft market, we ended up shopping in a large local store called Strawberries that was not locally owned, buying "authentic" items, largely made in China.......

The value is okay, you pay less than your average all inclusive resort, but then you never really get that feeling that you are being properly pampered (No waiters bringing you long drinks on the beach). There were things that irritated me, but I couldn't stay too mad when we had a beautiful Jamaican beach on our doorstep.

Room Tip: Rooms 18, 19, 20, 20A and 21 are far from the main hub and so are quite quite, but all have an ocean...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Aaron E
Oregon, Ohio
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Fifth time at this resort, third time under Decameron mgmt. Always glowing reviews from us about this property. Still give a 4 star, but a real soft 4 star.
Returned on 03/30 from 7 days there. Great front desk service. No problem with overbooking ( common complaint in the past ). Great bartenders, thanks Navon , and the rest. Entertainment staff busted butt as usual, Note to "Jack", luv ya dude, but you talk too much on mic. Clean resort top to bottom. Good stuff, but... a few problems as I saw them . Maybe petty, maybe not, you be the judge.
First of all, when the reservation was made, question was asked, is this a special occasion? Yeah, anniversary, was the answer. When I inquired at the desk ( day of our anniversary) if they do anything special for that, the answer was no. And, she kind of looked at me like I was a moron. She than said that maybe they had some anniversary t-shirts available. She said she would let me know. I'm still waiting.
I suppose if there is no special consideration for a special event during your stay, then don't ask !

The other problem, and I hate to say it, was the food. I have read in amusement over the years on other reviews on this site, concerning the food selection. I have always thought aloud, " Get a life you wimps , grow a set , and eat like the locals do !" That's when there was a selection.

Menu has changed big time now ! Pretty much all local now. I like to adventure eat , but not at every meal. Yeah, I had the roasted cow foot, oxtails, goat ( always good), ackee, and the rest, but come on!! The burgers soaked in garlic powder at the snack bar was no relief. If you are there for a week or more, the selection, or lack thereof, will cause your taste buds to rebel. Also , an issue with MSG cropped up a couple of times this visit, for the first time ever. Not a big deal if you are not allergic to it. However, I am. Cause for a few anxious moments.

We still love the place, but are actually thinking about a different venue next visit to paradise.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple