“Definitely want to go back” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Royal Decameron Montego Beach

Royal Decameron Montego Beach
Ranked #20 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
Newark, New Jersey
“Definitely want to go back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

The best part we liked about this resort was the food and theboard walk, the food had great flavour...specially the Jerk chicken and seafood was yummm! They had good vegetarian food choices too! The resort had everything to offer what we could expect from a good allinclusive resort. Throughout the day there were some activities going on, and every night they had amazing Jamaican dance performances based on different themes till late after dinner. We really enjoyed our stay there and definitely want to go back :)

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
9 Thank Anya S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (677)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

Returning to this resort for the 5 th time was some what disappointed to see that some of our favourite staff had left or been fired but guess you can expect that where ever you go we had invited friends to join us who arrived a few days after us even though we had told the hotel they where arriving given there names when they arrived they had no rooms for them and told us we could move with them or rather be bumped to the sister hotel, I was not very nice About the way we where being treated after lots of talking our friends shared a room for the first night and where promised compensation which never happened first or last. Managed to sort a room out for them late the second day. The new gm was approached numerous times about what had happened and really did not seem to care spent more time drinking and smoking while his three kids run through the dining room and around the resort causing havoc. Don't get me wrong we had a fab time but only because we went with and meet new friends otherwise I would have been some what disappointed not the same as it was

Room Tip: Don't plan on staying at the hotel you have booked lots of bumping
4 Thank hoops1791
Lake Mills Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

It was our first trip to Jamaica so we didn't know what to expect. We had travelled to several places in Mexico and were looking for someplace different. We try to stay at the smaller hotels cause we feel they are more personable. Upon arrival they gave us drinks and upgraded us with no problems to oceanview rooms ground floor even though that's not what we booked which turned out awesome! Rooms were nice and big and always clean. Regardless how much time do you really spend in your room anyways. Spent a lot of time at the swim up bar which was awesome! The bartender's were great and the entertainment staff went out of their way to get to know you and involve you. All of the wait staff were very friendly and accomadating.
The food was average. Between the snack bar and the restaurant you could always find something to eat. The jerk chicken and pork were very good but breakfast was my favorite. They had different themed nights for food so try and be open minded and I'm sure you will find something you like.
We went uptown a couple nights and we felt very safe. People will approach you from their shops to buy stuff but they are just trying to make a living. Don't let it discourage you. We walked to Margaritaville which was a very short walk. Also a must do is to eat at The Pork Pit. DELICIOUS!! Its a local place and it is also within walking distance or you can take a taxi which were kind of expensive.
If your looking to experience Jamaica I thought this place was great. There were several guests that keep coming back for years so they are obviously doing something right. If you are expecting something very fancy then this place isn't for you.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Chelsey O
Tulsa, Oklahoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

We just returned from RD this week on the 31st and let me start by saying that although my husband and I frequent Jamaica (this was our 10th trip in as many years) we rarely stay at all-inclusives preferring to rent villas or stay at boutique properties. However, with the goal of this trip being to just take a few days for R&R we didn't want to be concerned with providing our food, activities, drinks and long transports so we decided to take advantage of the really good rate at this property.

The facility although quite old is immaculately maintained. I agree with many other reviewers that thr rooms are in need of some updates. We were in room 30 in the Sunset building and it was well cleaned daily (we tipped). I have heard of others having things stolen from their rooms, thankfully we didn't have this problem. Our oceanview was stunning and we only encountered minimal noise from the band/music during entertainment hours. The water pressure was spotty and at times the water was only lukewarm but for us not a huge issue as we've had this problem at 4 star resorts on the island. There were so many lounge areas, never had to compete with others for chairs or beach space which was nice.

Although we didn't participate much in the activities there were plenty of things going on throughout the day ie, exercise classes, games, snorkel classes, etc. and others we spoke to seemed to really enjoy them. My husband being of caribbean descent really enjoyed the varied food choices, there was something for everyone. I loved the selection of tropical juices, soups and porridges...breakfast was my favorite. Wonderful breads and pastries, with being right on the ocean would have loved more seafood other than just occasional fish.

Now for our complaints, as previously stated we go to Jamaica on a regular basis and I've never encountered island drinks that weren't made with fresh fruit. Peach 'flavored' liquor, strawberry 'syrup', coconut 'powder'...what in the world??? Here we are at one of the places on earth with the best tasting produce and they're making drinks with fake crap? For breakfast and lunch the buffet was overflowing with fresh, sweet, beautiful tasting fruit...what's the problem? Even bars at the boutique hotels/motels of Negril make pina coladas with real coconut and real pineapple. With the exception of maybe 2 drinks they were horrible to me and I refused to drink them. White and red wine were offered with lunch and dinner, no particular type just white and red and they were ok. Also, I was told we couldn't take any food to our room in an effort to cut down on insects and pests. This is completely insane to me, I'm on vacation, should I feel like dining in my room there shouldn't even be a question about it. It was implied that with a tip the employees could look the other way allowing us to 'bend' this rule. Because I fundamentally disagreed with this ridiculous policy I refused to give anyone one red cent...RD you need to change this silly policy. It's your responsibility to control pests and your patrons shouldn't be penalized for it and yes I did see a large rat on the property the last night...ewww!

Overall we had a wonderful time at this resort, the staff was generally friendly (especially Baby Boy, Kerry-Ann & Rayon), the accommodations comfortable and prices reasonable.We did tip modestly for good service, $1 to $2 at meals and at the bar. We fully intend to return someday although we prefer Negril so it may be awhile.

Room Tip: If you prefer the quiet request the Sunset building, if you like to be in the middle of of the actio...
5 Thank mistiblu1969
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

i like the location of the hotel stay there last year july with mom and my other sister and a girlfriend we did like it its clean the food is ok i like the carrot juice its refreshing the staff is fine especially Noble from the diing room in the buffett area its close to magaritaville so it ok to stay and its close to the shopping area.Dislike you have to sign in and out of the at the gate every thime you going out and coming in its annoying like we are kis or its a prison the lights for the hall way turns off by certain time so when u go out to party and come in like 1 TO 2 AM dont expect any light you paddleing through darkness but my room was very comfortable the bed i can hardly wake up in the morning its ok other than the lights and signing in and out

Room Tip: pleas if u stay out late expect darkness in the hall way and prepare to sign in and out on every occ...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank primrose w
Alexandria, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

We booked again at Decameron because its size. Very nice room, grounds, food and staff. Veryconvenient location to go either up the coast to Negril or the other direction to Ochos Rio. We encountered just a slight problem the first few nights of stay. Booked an ocean view withking size bed. Upon checkin we were told the ocean view was guarateed but not the bed. So for four nights we had double bed on ground level. Our windows had only sheers and the air conditioner left water on the floor. Room was cleaned up well each day and we changed rooms 4 days in because we had booked excursions (had to check out by noon and check back in by 3pm. This wasnt an option for us since we would be off of the property for the excursions. The room we finally ended up with was great!! Second floor, king size bed, bigger bathroom area and curtains we could draw for privacy. Entertainment got old after a week with the same music and the staff trying to engage audience in dancing and games etc.. Food was good. Got to try different Jamaican foods. Always a variety of fruits and vegatables. Will be going back to this resort again, not over crowded and convenient to everything. Love love love Royal Decameron Montego Bay,

Room Tip: We had a room 2nd floor not at the main bldg. was quieter and more private.
2 Thank Pamela K
USA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

OMG, I do not know where to begin. This place was horrible. When we arrived the staff was nice. When we arrived to the room is where the problems begin. The rooms look nothing like the pictures they have on the website. Do not be fooled by the pretty pictures they have. This place is a dump. Once my friend and I saw the room we immediately decided we need to stay somewhere else. We went back own to the front desk and spoke with who say she was the front dek manager. We had just arrive maybe 10 minutes ago and checked in. We were requesting to check out. She stated that we would forfeit our entire stay if we check out. We were shocked and explained the issue. She did not care at all. My friend and i discussed the it and found out everywhere was sold out. so we had no choice but to stay. The rooms are so out dated. The water pressure is horrible. Sometimes the water will not even come on. They say all inclusive but the only give you one bottle of water. After that you have to purchase water on your own. Everything closes at a certain time. My friend and I had been out all day came in about 2:30am and could not get a drink at he lobby bar. Not even a soda. They stated that they will have snacks available. There was never any snacks available. The beach restaurant served pizza. They claimed thy had a variety but every time I went the only option was cheese. Even when you go after first opening. You will only get cheese. This was not a good place to stay. I would not wish anyone to stay here. The floors in the room are not clean. I definitely would not bring kids to stay here. This is a very low budget motel. The Internet they charge $5 an hour. This is a price I would pay at a five star not a one star. The people that are leaving amazing comments have to be use to living in a place like this. I am not and would never stay here again. Being hopefully will not help this place. We spent less time as possible in this place.

Room Tip: Get a room somewhere else.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
#17 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.0 of 5 bubbles 6,200 reviews

Been to Royal Decameron Montego Beach? Share your experiences!