“Great All-Inclusive For The Price”

Royal Decameron Montego Beach
Ranked #23 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
Tulsa, Oklahoma
“Great All-Inclusive For The Price”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We just returned from RD this week on the 31st and let me start by saying that although my husband and I frequent Jamaica (this was our 10th trip in as many years) we rarely stay at all-inclusives preferring to rent villas or stay at boutique properties. However, with the goal of this trip being to just take a few days for R&R we didn't want to be concerned with providing our food, activities, drinks and long transports so we decided to take advantage of the really good rate at this property.

The facility although quite old is immaculately maintained. I agree with many other reviewers that thr rooms are in need of some updates. We were in room 30 in the Sunset building and it was well cleaned daily (we tipped). I have heard of others having things stolen from their rooms, thankfully we didn't have this problem. Our oceanview was stunning and we only encountered minimal noise from the band/music during entertainment hours. The water pressure was spotty and at times the water was only lukewarm but for us not a huge issue as we've had this problem at 4 star resorts on the island. There were so many lounge areas, never had to compete with others for chairs or beach space which was nice.

Although we didn't participate much in the activities there were plenty of things going on throughout the day ie, exercise classes, games, snorkel classes, etc. and others we spoke to seemed to really enjoy them. My husband being of caribbean descent really enjoyed the varied food choices, there was something for everyone. I loved the selection of tropical juices, soups and porridges...breakfast was my favorite. Wonderful breads and pastries, with being right on the ocean would have loved more seafood other than just occasional fish.

Now for our complaints, as previously stated we go to Jamaica on a regular basis and I've never encountered island drinks that weren't made with fresh fruit. Peach 'flavored' liquor, strawberry 'syrup', coconut 'powder'...what in the world??? Here we are at one of the places on earth with the best tasting produce and they're making drinks with fake crap? For breakfast and lunch the buffet was overflowing with fresh, sweet, beautiful tasting fruit...what's the problem? Even bars at the boutique hotels/motels of Negril make pina coladas with real coconut and real pineapple. With the exception of maybe 2 drinks they were horrible to me and I refused to drink them. White and red wine were offered with lunch and dinner, no particular type just white and red and they were ok. Also, I was told we couldn't take any food to our room in an effort to cut down on insects and pests. This is completely insane to me, I'm on vacation, should I feel like dining in my room there shouldn't even be a question about it. It was implied that with a tip the employees could look the other way allowing us to 'bend' this rule. Because I fundamentally disagreed with this ridiculous policy I refused to give anyone one red cent...RD you need to change this silly policy. It's your responsibility to control pests and your patrons shouldn't be penalized for it and yes I did see a large rat on the property the last night...ewww!

Overall we had a wonderful time at this resort, the staff was generally friendly (especially Baby Boy, Kerry-Ann & Rayon), the accommodations comfortable and prices reasonable.We did tip modestly for good service, $1 to $2 at meals and at the bar. We fully intend to return someday although we prefer Negril so it may be awhile.

Room Tip: If you prefer the quiet request the Sunset building, if you like to be in the middle of of the actio...
5 Thank mistiblu1969

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (686)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed February 3, 2013

i like the location of the hotel stay there last year july with mom and my other sister and a girlfriend we did like it its clean the food is ok i like the carrot juice its refreshing the staff is fine especially Noble from the diing room in the buffett area its close to magaritaville so it ok to stay and its close to the shopping area.Dislike you have to sign in and out of the at the gate every thime you going out and coming in its annoying like we are kis or its a prison the lights for the hall way turns off by certain time so when u go out to party and come in like 1 TO 2 AM dont expect any light you paddleing through darkness but my room was very comfortable the bed i can hardly wake up in the morning its ok other than the lights and signing in and out

Room Tip: pleas if u stay out late expect darkness in the hall way and prepare to sign in and out on every occ...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank primrose w
Alexandria, Minnesota
Reviewed February 2, 2013

We booked again at Decameron because its size. Very nice room, grounds, food and staff. Veryconvenient location to go either up the coast to Negril or the other direction to Ochos Rio. We encountered just a slight problem the first few nights of stay. Booked an ocean view withking size bed. Upon checkin we were told the ocean view was guarateed but not the bed. So for four nights we had double bed on ground level. Our windows had only sheers and the air conditioner left water on the floor. Room was cleaned up well each day and we changed rooms 4 days in because we had booked excursions (had to check out by noon and check back in by 3pm. This wasnt an option for us since we would be off of the property for the excursions. The room we finally ended up with was great!! Second floor, king size bed, bigger bathroom area and curtains we could draw for privacy. Entertainment got old after a week with the same music and the staff trying to engage audience in dancing and games etc.. Food was good. Got to try different Jamaican foods. Always a variety of fruits and vegatables. Will be going back to this resort again, not over crowded and convenient to everything. Love love love Royal Decameron Montego Bay,

Room Tip: We had a room 2nd floor not at the main bldg. was quieter and more private.
2 Thank Pamela K
USA
Reviewed January 31, 2013

OMG, I do not know where to begin. This place was horrible. When we arrived the staff was nice. When we arrived to the room is where the problems begin. The rooms look nothing like the pictures they have on the website. Do not be fooled by the pretty pictures they have. This place is a dump. Once my friend and I saw the room we immediately decided we need to stay somewhere else. We went back own to the front desk and spoke with who say she was the front dek manager. We had just arrive maybe 10 minutes ago and checked in. We were requesting to check out. She stated that we would forfeit our entire stay if we check out. We were shocked and explained the issue. She did not care at all. My friend and i discussed the it and found out everywhere was sold out. so we had no choice but to stay. The rooms are so out dated. The water pressure is horrible. Sometimes the water will not even come on. They say all inclusive but the only give you one bottle of water. After that you have to purchase water on your own. Everything closes at a certain time. My friend and I had been out all day came in about 2:30am and could not get a drink at he lobby bar. Not even a soda. They stated that they will have snacks available. There was never any snacks available. The beach restaurant served pizza. They claimed thy had a variety but every time I went the only option was cheese. Even when you go after first opening. You will only get cheese. This was not a good place to stay. I would not wish anyone to stay here. The floors in the room are not clean. I definitely would not bring kids to stay here. This is a very low budget motel. The Internet they charge $5 an hour. This is a price I would pay at a five star not a one star. The people that are leaving amazing comments have to be use to living in a place like this. I am not and would never stay here again. Being hopefully will not help this place. We spent less time as possible in this place.

Room Tip: Get a room somewhere else.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Fanbail06
Clifton, New Jersey
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Hubby and I just returned from Jamaica and already planning our trip back. I love this island:) On our arrival at the hotel we were informed that there was no rooms available because of maintenance issues and would instead be transported to a sister hotel Royal Decameron Fun which was an hrs away drive. Option #2 would be to receive a refund of our money and find another resort. I had read reviews about other people being told the same thing and could not believe this was happening to us. I was absolutely furious. I told the lady at the desk we would go with option #3; my option; sit at the lobby for my entire vacation. We refused to move. 10 minutes later a room opened up. It was not an ocean view that we had paid for but the next day we got an ocean view room, a free bottle of champagne and a free safe ( safe fee is $2 /day). The reminder of our stay went by smoothly. We barely stayed at the resort and were always out and about. Highlight of my trip was the Dunns fall. We also spend a day in negril at Margaritaville. The beaches there are so much nicer. The beaches at Mo bay are very rocky. The food at the resort was not the best but edible. Breakfast was my favorite. Bring plenty of dollar bills coz tipping goes a long way. The staff at the resort were friendly and the entertainment crew was amazing. Despite the rough start to our vacation we had an amazing time and cannot wait to go back. We brought our own beach towels and did not have to use the towel cards which cost $20 if lost. Am from Kenya and this place felt like home way from home. Also the resort is right on the hip strip which was great for shopping.

Room Tip: Not all rooms are ocean view. Higher rooms are better and quieter. We stayed at room 419 which had a...
4 Thank Kenyangal46365
ontario
Reviewed January 29, 2013

My husband and I went to this resort with another couple. It is a very cute resort. Not a highrise and is quite small, which allows you to get to know people and staff. Food was quite good I am a picky eater and could always find something. Our first night there we were put in "Gardenview rooms". There are grubby and cell like. Front desk staff were appoligetic and said we would be moved in the morning. We were but that first impression was not good. Staff are very friendly and outgoing.
Big complaint is the pillows. They are about 1 inch thick and hard.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank countdownqueen
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I decided to book my wedding here since my fiancé and I were on a tight budget and wanted to make a vacation out of our wedding. We had a total of 20 of us staying at various times. The wedding package was very reasonable considering what was included. Let me start off by saying that my now husband and I are VERY easy going. From the very beginning I vowed not to get stressed about the wedding since everything was out of my hands. Not every bride would be so easy going so if you need every minute detail written in stone this may not be the wedding for you.

The wedding coordinator, Jodian, was great. She replied in a very timely manner to all of my questions and concerns and within a couple emails we had everything set. We set the date, time, and created a menu for a reception dinner.

We took a taxi from the airport to the hotel, a nice 5 minute drive. When we arrived a few men helped us with our bags as we got in line to check in. It really does depend on who checks you in. I saw my family members get checked in by pleasant nice employees, I was not as lucky. The woman checking me in was pretty slow. And I mean slow as in she kept asking the same questions, I kept answering the same and she seemed to have no clue what to do. The other front desk staff eventually tried to help us out to move this process along. I think Chris Ann was the one girl’s name. She was so friendly and helpful. Without her we it probably would have taken over an hour to write out receipts ($4 per room per night tax, safe key $2 per day and fridge $5 per day) and get to our room. We rarely had to deal with the front desk so do not base your entire stay off of them. We got our blue bracelet, and towel card. Remember your towel card number and your room number!!! When we went to return our towels for the cards our cards seemed to have gotten misplaced at some point during the past 11 days. We checked back a couple hours later and the man working at the water sports area had found them, but it was enough to make me almost lose it.

We were given room 39. It was in the sunset building on the 2nd floor. Gorgeous view, if we had been given anything higher/ further down the view would have gone down as it was close to the end of the resort where there was a nice dock with barbed wire. Our room was very spacious. The room was fine for me, it could have used a fresh coat of caulk in the bathroom, but I wasn’t there for the bathroom tiles. Each room did have a flat screen tv. We had plenty of hangers in the closet area which was right by a vanity area with chair, the room included an ironing board and iron, a small sitting area with a table and 2 chairs, a lounge chair, and on the balcony another set of chairs and a table. There were about 3 decent size drawers under the tv and 2 smaller drawers by either side of the bed.

Our bathroom was a decent size, a lot of space on the counter. There was a small bottle of shampoo, lotion and a facial bar of soap on the counter. The water pressure was good, every now and then the pressure would die for a couple seconds, but then go back to normal. I never had a problem with the temperature either. The light switch for the bathroom was on the outer wall, I learned to live with it.

The AC was good. I developed a respiratory infection while I was there so we didn’t use it too much, but when we did it was good. From one side of the room we could hear the waves crashing, from the other we could hear the road outside of the resort. A lot of motorcycles, car alarms and horns, nothing the resort could control. As far as the noise from the planes landing, I expected way more noise. I hardly noticed it after the first day, and thought it was neat to watch them all come in.

The food was pretty good, the bread was incredible. I could have eaten a loaf at every meal. For breakfast there was an omelet/ egg station where you can get bacon if you’d like. They usually had a lot of fruit, cereal, breads, juices and so on. The waitresses walk around clearing your plates, giving you coffee (which was excellent), tea etc. Dakeisha was our absolute favorite. We would sit in her section every breakfast and lunch. By day 2 she knew what we all drank and how we took our coffee. That’s impressive for 20 people. She was so sweet. For lunch there was usually a pasta station with tomato sauce, alfredo sauce and sometimes meat sauce. There was also a sandwich station along with the other basics. Dinner had a different theme every night and I never found myself hungry. There were usually 2 different soups each night. To all the reviewers who said the food was horrible try to remember you are not paying for a 5 star cuisine. My sister who is a strict vegetarian found something at every meal. The restaurant Souk required reservations and that is where we had our reception dinner. That was the only time we ate there. I found the food good, but wouldn’t go out of my way and pay to eat there again when the buffet is just as good. I am a splenda person, so if you like splenda you may need to bring your own, I only saw equal. And that is no big deal to some people but just a little heads up.

The entertainment was… well entertaining. Some nights were better than others, but overall fun. The entertainment staff did their best to make everyone feel like a part of the DeCameron family. Brittney, Shaq, Dominick, Demitri, and Smurf were great. They never wanted you to feel uncomfortable, just included in the fun. Day or night these hard workers were willing to go the extra mile to make sure your stay is great. Another person I want to mention is Marcus. He is a lifeguard. Our first day he introduced himself and we talked every day. I told him I was interested in seeing other parts of the island, but probably only had the energy to do one day of touring, oh and also there would be 16 other people that wanted to go. He said he could set us up with a friend, we would take 2 vans go to Mayfield falls (not Dunn River), have lunch on our way to Negril and finish the night at Ricks Café watching the sunset. It sounded fantastic so I agreed, gathered everyone together and arranged a day trip. Marco was so helpful without being pushy, and I will always have him to thank for the wonderful memories of out excursion day.

When we arranged the trip Marco told us to meet him near the shops across from the resort at 9am. So the lot of us met him by the souvenir shop at 9. He introduced us to the drivers and assured our good time. Marco had work that day so we left him and took off. I’m not going to lie, after 20 minutes I was hoping we didn’t make a terrible mistake and that we were actually with legit drivers. Our ride to Mayfield was a bit rough. The roads are very narrow and it was up a mountain. And then the road… well let’s just say it wasn’t paved all the way. To me the van ride was completely worth it, but if you get nervous with narrow bumpy roads you may want to take some sort of medication. When we arrived at the falls I felt a lot better realizing I was just being paranoid. Mayfield falls was absolutely beautiful. I’ll review that at some point soon. Long story short trust Marco and his drivers. Marco met us close to the resort around 8pm to make sure we all ok and had a great time. We paid $30 each for the van, we tipped the drivers $10 each, the 3 people at the falls about $10 each, lunch was about $18, Rick’s was whatever you wanted to spend. I spent about $90 for that trip and would do it again only tipping higher because they really deserved it.

The drinks were ok. Red stripe beer was the only type of beer available, but my group was ok with that. The liquor isn’t top shelf, but they were still decent. Georgette by the pool bar was very sweet. If you’re a bar snob this is not your place. If you can manage with cheap drinks, it’s heaven. They also have Pepsi, Sprite and delicious virgin daiquiris. The water was safe to drink (I had it with every meal and did not get sick).
The wedding was perfect for my husband and I. We had a 4 o’clock wedding on the beach, followed by cake and sparkling wine on the beach. For our reception dinner we rented out Souk for the first seating at 6:30.
As far as things being taken from our hotel room, we had no incidents. Every morning when we left our room we put $5 on the counter by the vanity, as the days went on the stack of $5 bills remained. The money wasn’t touched, and everything was cleaned around it. By the time we left the housekeeping had earned that stack of money and we had no problem leaving our valuables in the room. I’m sure not everyone is as honest as the people who were cleaning my room, but that’s where you use your best judgment.

Housekeeping wasn’t the fastest, but it was always done. They run on Jamaican time we were usually out from around noon to 5 during the day and somewhere in between is when our room was made up.

A few tips: like many reviewers say bring your own cup for drinks and the bartenders/ servers will use your larger cups for your drinks. When you check in you get a bottle of “Wata” in your room. When leaving the resort you will be solicited for drugs, money etc. Be firm and polite with the no “thank you”s, or make sure you go with a decent group (I went with my husband, father, and father in law so us ladies weren’t easy targets). The woman and man at the tshirt store were very nice, but just know most of the stuff there is cheaply made so make sure to get a good price (my friend paid $12 for a tshirt and the design started peeling the second she put in on in the resort).

Some of us took the Glass Bottom boat with Captain Polly. He was very fun. We went out on a very choppy day so the majority of didn’t feel so well, but it was a great experience and worth the $20. There was also free snorkeling gear, paddle boats, and kayaks.

In our 11 days we saw a few other brides at the resort; we saw families with young children, late teens, retired couples, family reunions and more here. It seemed very accommodating to everyone. My last piece of advice is to tip. A dollar goes a long way and the workers are very appreciative. I tipped everyone and always got a thank you and a smile. Please feel free to ask me for more info from our stay or on the wedding.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family