We just returned from RD this week on the 31st and let me start by saying that although my husband and I frequent Jamaica (this was our 10th trip in as many years) we rarely stay at all-inclusives preferring to rent villas or stay at boutique properties. However, with the goal of this trip being to just take a few days for R&R we didn't want to be concerned with providing our food, activities, drinks and long transports so we decided to take advantage of the really good rate at this property.
The facility although quite old is immaculately maintained. I agree with many other reviewers that thr rooms are in need of some updates. We were in room 30 in the Sunset building and it was well cleaned daily (we tipped). I have heard of others having things stolen from their rooms, thankfully we didn't have this problem. Our oceanview was stunning and we only encountered minimal noise from the band/music during entertainment hours. The water pressure was spotty and at times the water was only lukewarm but for us not a huge issue as we've had this problem at 4 star resorts on the island. There were so many lounge areas, never had to compete with others for chairs or beach space which was nice.
Although we didn't participate much in the activities there were plenty of things going on throughout the day ie, exercise classes, games, snorkel classes, etc. and others we spoke to seemed to really enjoy them. My husband being of caribbean descent really enjoyed the varied food choices, there was something for everyone. I loved the selection of tropical juices, soups and porridges...breakfast was my favorite. Wonderful breads and pastries, with being right on the ocean would have loved more seafood other than just occasional fish.
Now for our complaints, as previously stated we go to Jamaica on a regular basis and I've never encountered island drinks that weren't made with fresh fruit. Peach 'flavored' liquor, strawberry 'syrup', coconut 'powder'...what in the world??? Here we are at one of the places on earth with the best tasting produce and they're making drinks with fake crap? For breakfast and lunch the buffet was overflowing with fresh, sweet, beautiful tasting fruit...what's the problem? Even bars at the boutique hotels/motels of Negril make pina coladas with real coconut and real pineapple. With the exception of maybe 2 drinks they were horrible to me and I refused to drink them. White and red wine were offered with lunch and dinner, no particular type just white and red and they were ok. Also, I was told we couldn't take any food to our room in an effort to cut down on insects and pests. This is completely insane to me, I'm on vacation, should I feel like dining in my room there shouldn't even be a question about it. It was implied that with a tip the employees could look the other way allowing us to 'bend' this rule. Because I fundamentally disagreed with this ridiculous policy I refused to give anyone one red cent...RD you need to change this silly policy. It's your responsibility to control pests and your patrons shouldn't be penalized for it and yes I did see a large rat on the property the last night...ewww!
Overall we had a wonderful time at this resort, the staff was generally friendly (especially Baby Boy, Kerry-Ann & Rayon), the accommodations comfortable and prices reasonable.We did tip modestly for good service, $1 to $2 at meals and at the bar. We fully intend to return someday although we prefer Negril so it may be awhile.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located five minutes away from Montego Bay International Airport near the commercial district and the Hip Strip, Royal Decameron Montego Beach is a beachfront property on white sandy beaches with crystal clear waters. Its facilities and ensure a relaxing holiday environment. This hotel has two restaurants, PassaPassa and Souk, where you can enjoy different international and regional dishes. During the day, you can partake in different recreational activities including dance lessons, aerobics and non-motorized water sports like kayaks, sailboats and diving lessons in the pool. In the evenings, enjoy our shows and dance till you drop at the disco of the Royal Decameron Montego Beach hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, BookIt.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Expedia, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your Royal Decameron Montego Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jack Tar Village
- Royal Decameron Montego Beach Bay
- Royal Decameron Jamaica
- Royal Decameron Montego Beach Hotel
- Royal Decameron Montego Bay Jamaica
- Montego Beach
- Decameron Montego Bay
- Royal Decameron Montego Beach All Inclusive