“It's what you make it!”

Ranked #22 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
Marietta, Georgia
“It's what you make it!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

The wife and I needed a chance to just relax and recharge the batteries, Royal Decameron Montego Bay did the trick. Our overall experience was great, especially for the low cost of the get away. If you are looking for a huge resort that makes you feel like a pampered aristocrat this will not be where you want to end up. If you want a great value with an overall friendly and inviting vibe this may be just what you are looking for.

The Good: The bulk of the staff was very friendly and personable, tipping helps!
The views from all the rooms are amazing (you don't need to pay for the "Ocean view", they all have one).
The resort is smaller so it doesn't feel overcrowded.
The grounds are beautifully manicured and really add to the overall feel of the property.

The Bad: The front desk staff, not very welcoming considering they should be the "face" of the resort.
The bed and pillows in our room were very uncomfortable, might have been the hardest I've ever encountered. Luckily between the sun and the free cocktails it was still pretty easy to sleep. I have read mixed reviews on the bedding so I'm assuming it's luck of the draw.

Punchline- If the opportunity presents itself, I will enjoy staying her again, and feel very comfortable recommending it to others.

Room Tip: All the rooms have a view, the higher the number of the room the quieter it will be at night, those...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SaltWaterGator
alainrichard, General Manager at Royal Decameron Montego Beach, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear SaltWaterGator,

Thank you for the review as it helps us a lot to improve. I took note on the bed issue. All of our mattresses are new so it is surprising for which I would kindly ask you forward me your room number to my email arichard "at" decameronjam "dot" com. I will personally check that bed.

As per the pillows they are all in process to be changed. They will be arrived and installed in the rooms before december 15th 2012 normally.

Most of our rooms are ocean view as you mentioned, nevertheless I feel it's important to correct the fact that we have 11 garden view rooms and guests must know that if they reserve GARDEN VIEW they will be assigned with a GARDEN VIEW ROOM not an OCEAN VIEW.

Once again thank you very much for your review and to the pleasure of welcoming you again.

GM RDMB

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (683)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

We stayed at the Royal Decameron in Jan 2012 , the review is late but better late than never. this was our third time at the Decameron and we loved every day there. An ocean view room, good food and plenty of bars and great people that work there. We will be back again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dixie
Dear Dixie,

Thank you for the review as it helps us a lot to improve. We can't wait until the next visit.

Once again thank you very much for your review.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

I stayed here July 2011. (Sorry for the late review) this resort was okay for a last minute trip. I rarely plan trips far in advance so I am always looking for the best deal for the price I want to pay. I wanted a reasonable place to stay for a week because I planned on going on excursions 3 out of the 5 days I was there and this fit the bill.
This is a smaller, older resort but it was kept really clean and tidy. The rooms needed to be upgraded, especially the bathrooms but they were still clean and comfortable. The elevator was really tiny. I have never seen one that small before. Depending on how much luggage you have only 1 or 2 people can fit in it at a time. Despite the size it worked fine, and all of the rooms are accessible by the steps anyway so it wasn’t an issue.There is also a small beach that never seemed to be crowded so if felt like our own private beach most of our stay.
The food was pretty good. There was a lot of variety, especially if you enjoy jamacian food. There were also basic things to choose from for people woul don’t perfer spicy food. The only thing major that I remember being disappointed in was the alocohol. It seemed reall y watered down. Luckily the resort is in the city so there are vendors and stores around. I would suggest walking to the liquor store and getting your own alcohol.
Outside of the resort can be a little intimidating for some that are not used to that type of environment. There is a lot of traffic, so much that it can be hard to cross the street. There are also many vendors trying to get your attention to sell things to you. Simply keep walking or say no thank you and they will leave you alone. Most of the people were actually really friendly helping the torrist cross the busy street and giving directions to the different places in walking distance. Even though the hotel is in a busy area I felt safe being there. There is a gate with security that will not let anyone that is not staying at the resort in.
Overall I had a good time while I was there. I picked this resort at the last minute and it fit my needs as a comfortable place to stay to visit Motego Bay. I was off the resort most of the time doing excursions so it was a good place to come back and relax. If you are looking for a resort that you plan on staying there the entire time then this might not be a good choice for you because of the size. Otherwise it was okay. I had a great time but I probably with pick a higher end resort next time I visit sicen I plan on laying around the beach and drink next time instead of being on the go for most of the trip.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank meda95
Dear meda95,

Thank you for the review as it helps us a lot to improve. You will be glad to know that we are presently working on making the beach bigger on the western side so you will be happy if you decide to come again.

As per alcohol, we are not watering it down. We carry mostly local brands which are good liquors, especially the Rum which is world class and there are no need to water it down. Sorry that you had the impression we do, but if you can indicate me what were you drinking mostly so I can investigate the matter: arichard "at" decameronjam "dot" com.

London,UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

Hotel itself is very nice - yes it mayby not the newest one but is clean so that what is most important.
We didnt had any problems with check in which took around 5min or check out which was even shorter:)
Rooms are spacious and most of then with lovely sea view. Only problems was that our room was close to stage area which is very noisy up to 11pm - so if you dont feel well and would like to sleep earlier or rest make sure your room are not in first 10-15 ( our room was 203).

Breakfast is ok if you get there around 7-8am, later there is less and less products to use - always problems with fresh tomatoes or chesse, lack of bacon which you can get only from omlet station if you ask person making omlets.
Lunch and dinner seems ok-usually lots of salads to choose from and hot meals are ok as well.
If you get sometimes hungry very late food is avalible up to 1am and after that if you really hungry there are always some sandwiches at reception avaible up to breakfest.

In bars you can get wide variations of local rum, whisky, vodka, gin, beer and wine im sure you will find what you like. There seems to be one problem with service or mayby 2 - be patient staff is not a quickest one and they will serve you in their own time and second they seem to be bit careless - Im diabetic and is important for me to get for example diet coke if i ask for it but it ended up i wasn't feeling to good for first two days and after i paid more attention what im having to drink and ive find out that staff was pouring what they like too not what you ask for so i neede to correct them few times and remind i need sugar free drinks so keep that in your mind.

Beach is very nice but make sure you bring water shoes with you as there is lots of sea urgents there and you can end up easily in hospital as my friend did - 120 euros per visit.

Pools - there are two pools both are not really deep, average around 130cm deep. there is jacuzzi as well but most of our stay was closed.

Disco in hotel - usually pretty empty but you can get your drinks in there up to 2am.

Hotel area - there is plenty of shops around hotel so if you would like to buy souvenirs there is lots of opportunities to get good bargain :)

Trips - we done one from hotel which was catamaran trip - 120 dollars, we were bit dissapointed as we were expecting to spend whole day on boat but we end up on 2 hours transport to marina then straight away we got lunch which was bit early as we just had an breakfast. Transfer on catamaran to Dunns river waterfalls which i do recommend to go to and then transfer back which took around 40min as it was apparently party boat so we had few drinks on house and then transfer back.
Second trip we organise ourselves - we have rented a car it cost us 65 dollars a day and second day we were offered it for 50 dollars, petrol for one day driving was around 30 dollars.
Dont be scared locals will come up with horrendous stories about drivers in Jamaica and how dangerous it is and they will offer themselves as drivers and bodyguards(of course not for free;)), if you are use too left hand driving is not more difficult then driving in London and just use you common sense where you stop and you will be just fine.
Anyway our trip by car was great - Bob Marley house ( 19 dollars entry ) is nice experience and the nature you have chance to see driving in mountains is amazing plus roads are great as well;), Swimming with dolphins is same price entry if you buy it from hotel so better keep one day for that trip, You could go to caves which are on a cost about 30min drive from Montego bay or just chill on beach in Ocho Rios or Negril.

Entertainment in hotel is ok - night shows sometimes are great sometimes are average - everybody can find something for themselves. Entertaining team is ok - some of them could actually be more friendly plus hotel could invest in more equipment like basketball net in swimming pool or allowing entertainment team to more different games with guests.

Duty free zone on airport is very big so you will have chance to stock up :) Absolut 1liter vodka for 14 dollars or Grants whiskey 1liter for 12 and lots of other staff:)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank kjnja
ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

Amazing staff at this hotel - incredible service through every part of the resort from some of the nicest staff I've ever encountered in my travels. Beachfront is pretty small. The buffet options were generally good and MUCH better than the restaurant that required reservations (few "local" dishes, really not worth booking). Alcoholic drinks (other than rum) really felt watered down. Great gym facility. We spent one of our four days with a tour guide, Zipp, who was wonderful - would highly recommend him for anyone looking to leave the resort. Staff knows him well.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank smorgasbord
Dear smorgasboard,

Thank you for the review as it helps us a lot to improve. In fact you are absolutely right about our staff whom are the main reason why people are returning year after year.

I have taken note of your comment on the " A La Carte" restaurant : "Le Zouk" and we guarantee to work on a better menu for you to enjoy.

Sao Paulo, SP
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

I cannot find a better way to describe this my stay at Royal Decameron Montego Beach, other than quoting good old Simon Cowell: "there are only so many words I can drag out of my vocabulary to say how dreadful that was".

Everything is at the lowest end when it comes to quality, excellence, customer service.

Staff don't look you in the eye, unless you are willing to breach the no-tipping rule. When they do, they are rude - unless they are trying to sell you drugs. I was approached by a staff member on my very first day trying to sell me a certain illegal herb that some people like to smoke. When I was told I was not willing to buy any of his merchandise, he said "this is Jamaica, you have to do it!". Next day he was there again trying to push me his illegal product. He became insistent. Then almost intimidating. Certainly not the best place to take your family if you want to them to enjoy your vacation on a safe environment.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank irsc
Dear irsc,

Thank you for the review as it helps us a lot to improve. We are very sorry that your experience of our service hasn't met your expectation. I clearly take those allegations very seriously and would not allow any illegal activities in the property. I would like you to indicate via email the responsible for you to dislike so much our resort so we can take immediate actions.

Although we do our best to everyday teach our staff the essence of a good service and to screen the new employees we sometimes have to deal with this sort bad surprise. Please do not hesitate to contact me at arichard "at" decameronjam.com.

I am pleading that you give us another try and let me surprise you positively and receive you as our VIP special guest. Just let me know how and when.

Mais uma vez muito obrigado para sua análise e para o prazer de recebê-lo novamente.

Hammstah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

From Peta-Gay and the others at the front desk to bartenders Georgette and Mark, Sanna-Ann and Mark and other servers, to the snack bar guy, excellent activities coordinators, and security team, Royal Decameron Montego Bay gave us the very best customer service we could imagine. In fact, most places in the United States could learn from them.

The all-inclusive package was excellent -- fantastic food at the buffet and Souk a-la-carte restaurant, awesome drinks at the bar, small but super-clean beach and beach sports, nightly entertainment, towel service and housekeeping! They also had books, ping pong, billiard table, hot tub, two or three swimming pools, basketball court, tennis court, night club/dance club, shuffleboard, etc.

Our room/suite was a bit older style, but it was perfectly clean and problem free, safe, comfortable, and appointed to meet anyone's needs -- flat-screen television, phone, air conditioning, nice, large bathroom, complimentary drinks in the mini-fridge (they didn't tell us that what's filled upon arrival is all you get; no free refill of the min-fridge, but that was really not a problem at all). our bed was comfortable, fairly firm and in good condition. There was closet space, and a day bed. There was laundry service (we did not use it), if that helps you to pack less clothing and save on luggage costs with the airline. Our room looked onto the garden, but it was really just looking onto trees and rooftops, but considering we spent only time there sleeping and changing clothes, it didn't matter and was worth saving the few extra dollars on a beach-view room.

FYI, internet service is not included and they charge per-hour or per-day, and that was one service we think they need to change.

The bars inside and beachside all had flat screen televisions with sports and reggae music videos, so that was great. Around dinnertime, they had acoustic music in the lobby near the beach and dining area. It was all so pleasant and welcoming.

We met guests from Canada, Colombia, Chile, United States, and Ireland. Everybody was so happy to be there, whether as a couple like us or as single guys/girls or families, and we all had fun meeting each other and making new friends and acquaintances. People shared stories about their day, tips on where to shop or not shop, where to get ladies' hair braided, and how to best negotiate with local business people.

How cool is this? Upon our check-in, the young woman at the front desk asked if we were celebrating anything as a reason for our vacation, and indeed we were (our wedding anniversary)...and she quickly slipped into the manager's office and reappeared with Decameron t-shirts which said "Happy Anniversary" and when we arrived in our room they had already placed a bottle of sparkling wine there for us. Oh, my goodness, what an incredible, thoughtful, fun, personal touch! To boot, guests and employees all gave us special greetings when they saw us in our matching t-shirts! Yea!

While tips are officially included, plan to tip your favorite dining room/restaurant server, bartender and snack bar guy maybe $5 USD on the front end, and they'll likely take excellent care of you throughout your stay. Or, tip them a dollar here and there for the same service. You'll know quickly who you "connect" with and get great vibes from, but, truth be told, everyone at Decameron was so helpful and pleasant no matter what!

The dining room and upscale restaurant, Souk, were excellent and unless you're dying to get off site for a meal, there's no reason to spend dining money off site. You'll have fresh fruits and vegetables, breads, and homemade food, and great soups, porridge and desserts all day, everyday. Sure, they had a hamburger night and a pasta night, but there were other local foods on those nights, too. There's always great coffee and juice, too, and servers are ahead of the curve and ready to bring refills without you even asking.

The Royal Decameron is within 15 minutes walking distance from the Montego Bay Airport. If you're carrying a modest amount of luggage, you might as well save on the taxi fare and just walk. It's safe and easy. Otherwise, plan to negotiate the taxi vultures down to about five or seven U.S. dollars for the ride.

Do not do the "cambio" money changing at the airport. It's not necessary and it will cost you more there. Better to just spend USD and always be conscious of what you're paying relative to JA dollars. Most everything there in MoBay is negotiable, fyi.

Be sure to buy a coconut water (in the young coconut) and some sugar cane to chomp on from the Rastaman on the street about two blocks past Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville, along the city park.

For ladies' hair braiding, the only person to go to is Madge, who works at Nicole's gift shop about one block down the hip strip and across the street from Decameron.

For crafts and gifts, there are tons of stores on the hip strip (four-block stretch of shops right near the Decameron) but we really preferred Market Square craft market which is about a 10- to 15-minute walk and all-Jamaican owned stalls. Remember, all is negotiable. All of the vendors are as nice and as respectful as you can hope for!

Caution: be careful of scammers out on the street who tell you they work at your hotel and will gladly show you where to go for what you want. They are usually good people just trying to earn a tip for taking care of you and getting you to where you need to go on foot, kind of as an unofficial MoBy ambassador or guide, but unless you recognize them from the hotel they probably don't work there (and they see your Decameron wristband and instantly know where you're at so they can play the scam on you). They are probably with good intentions, but you should be careful and prepared (or not) to take that chance. We fell for it and figured it out, but it was OK because the guy was truly helpful and with good intentions, and we tipped what we felt was it was worth.

Caution: If you go to downtown MoBay or anywhere away from the hip strip, be sure to be back on the hip strip or back at Decameron by sunset. The city changes, like any city does, after dark, and it's not worth the risk.

If you walk past the hip strip towards downtown MoBay, keep an eye out for the official tourist police/security (black pants, white police-style shirts and white safari helmets). They are excellent and really go out of their way to care for you! Heed their call! And, if there is somebody really weird and clearly scoping you out, be sure to tell these police and they will care for you immediately.

You'll enjoy the area more when the cruise ship is NOT in the bay (which you can see from the Decameron beach) because the streets are less crowded then. So, no cruise ship = more relaxed shopping, possibly better price negotiating, and less congestion. Cruise ship in bay = stay at Decameron and play.

Most of all, relax and enjoy amaica! "Everyting irie! Everyting is everyting!" You will want to go back to MoBay for sure!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple