“Great Time Hurricane & All!”

Royal Decameron Montego Beach
Ranked #24 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Toronto, Canada
“Great Time Hurricane & All!”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

After visiting a ton of all-inclusives in Mexico, Jamaica, Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico I have experienced the range of goods and bads. Obviously, everyone is different and what makes or breaks a vacation will be different for everyone. I had a friend recommend this place and after reading the reviews and seeing the excellent prices we decided to book.

A lot of what we experienced has been mentioned already but I'll keep it brief . . .

The Staff - I found that when approaching staff with a smile, one was returned and even though we had a number of quirks (ie. clock didn't work, remote needed new batteries) any time we approached the front desk Mr. Millington(!), Trudy or one of the other ladies was always willing to help. Peter/Mr. Fix-It always came promptly and fixed what we needed. With the approach of Hurricane Sandy, the staff did a commendable job batting down the hatches and taking on the extra work relocating guests to the main building and delivering food/towels/water, etc. directly to the rooms. We felt safe and looked after. And when the hurricane passed, they had the task of cleaning up. Props go out to . . . Dickiesha, Germaine, and Dalmane Stevens in the buffet, World Don/Rupert at the bar, Kissmarley at the snackbar. All people who helped make our week fun and memorable.

The Rooms - first room in the smaller (Sunset Building) was out-dated but quiet, larger with an extra bathroom area with vanity and a couple extra pieces of furniture. BUT the bed was really uncomfortable and there was no hot water. My traveling companions were just 2 rooms down and had no problem with hot showers so it's a bit of a crap-shoot. When they relocated us to the main building I was put on the 3rd floor with an awesome bed and all the hot I could use. Not to mention the ocean/mountain view. Like I said, each room had it's things that didn't work so if that's a deal breaker for you, you've been warned. I knew what I was getting into so it didn't phase me.

The Food - was a little better than I expected. As people have said, it's a limited dinner buffet but there are a variety of choices each night so I definitely didn't starve. I tried Curried Goat and loved it. Fried Bammy, Collilou (sp?), boiled plantains, jerk chicken, curried chicken, beans/rice all Jamaican food incorporated in the buffet. Loved the breads and the soups were really good. And yes, at breakfast they keep the bacon at the omellette station. Not sure why, but it's there. Oh, and for those that don't think there's any late night food - the Beach Grill at the far end of the property opens between 11and midnight and serves burgers and such til the wee hours. When the weather is too rough, they open the buffet for late night snacks. BTW the Beach Grill serves yummy jerk wings and really tasty burgers (like our Lick's Burgers).

The Hurricane - hit the island while we were there but Montego Bay wasn't hit like the rest of the island. The only affect was our excursion for zip-lining was cancelled due to damage and for the rest of the week, the ocean was far to rough to swim in. We saw more damage from the rough seas after Sandy passed, than the day it hit! I know they had Dunns River Falls closed due to flooding but I'm sure that was short-term.

Things I Loved - I'm a sun lover and am used to getting up early and playing the chair game in Mexico. BUT NO NOT HERE! Not sure if it was because it was low season, or the fact the sun doesn't come up over the building until about 8ish but I never had a problem finding 3 prime seats together. We even moved midday for better sun and found 3 better beds. They have beds set up at the back of the hotel on the fourth floor for the sun lovers that want the sun before it crests the building, nice touch. The mattresses on the boardwalk are soooo comfortable. My bad back loved the cush. The beds around the pools are also really comfortable. I loved the smallness of this place. Easy access to the rooms, buffet and of course, the bars. I also loved the drinks. Yes, served in small cups but they use real cream in the Pinas and bananas in the Dirty Bananas, no slushy mix. And the Mudslides were yummy too. And I loved talking to the staff . . .. they were all really friendly and we never experienced the attitudes some have mentioned. And finally, I loved the true ocean view rooms. We spent a lot of time on the balcony watching the storm, sunsets and watching the planes land at the airport (BTW not an issue for sleeping, not a very busy airport). Speaking of which, I loved the 10 minute drive to the airport. And the 1 minute walk to the Hip Strip.

Things Not So Much Loved - The unbelievably loud music played from the Cornwall Beach Club next door on Friday nights. Or should I say Saturday morning! It didn't stop until almost 4am. Not the hotel's fault but the bass beat was felt through the walls and no amount of ear-plugging could block it out. I like to party but I also like to sleep. Yes, we were hassled for drugs when we hit the streets but it's JAMAICA, you gotta know that's going to happen there! You are also going to catch the odd aroma around the hotel but hey, it's vacation right? Didn't bother me. And yes, they could improve on the food quality but I imagine that would require raising the rates and that's also what's attractive about this place, the cost and location.

A couple things of note - They do have a sign posted about the pools closing at 5pm. That is when the Lifeguard goes home, but on more than one occasion there was a (drunken) game of volleyball that went on in the pool until almost 7pm and we were left alone to finish. No one kicked us out. As well, a couple of times I walked past the jacuzzi at night and there were people in it even though it was technically "closed". And if you're wondering why the clock radio in your room is hard-wired into the outlet, its because us tourists keep stealing them! Not because they don't know how to plug in a clock. For some reason there are random graves on the property. In the bushes right behind the washrooms on the beach is the Kerr family. And by the gym and the kids area at the street side of the hotel are a whole bunch more. There is an old cemetary next door and I guess some graves were just forgotten when property lines were drawn.

Even with Hurricane Sandy we had a really good time. The social aspect to this hotel is wonderful, simply because of it's size. We made friends, both with staff and other guests. I came home rested and thinking about going back. I think if you come in with the right attitude and information you can have a really good experience. Feel free to email questions if you wish . . .

Room Tip: Smaller building is quieter with slightly larger rooms. Main building offers excellent ocean/mounta...
7 Thank Canadian2_8

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (694)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I had good expectations about Decameron after I saw some reviews here, however I was completely disappointed with the resort in almost every aspect. A friend and I spent 5 nights in the hotel. I will list all the negatives and positives (if any) points.

Location: Its too close to the airport. Every 10 min, a plane passes by and you can't hear anything.

Room: room is quite ok, not so fancy, pretty responsive air conditioning. Pillows are terrible. The keys are old style metal keys that you must carry at all time, with an additional coast of 50 dollars in case of loss.

Bathroom: very old. They claim they have a bathtub, but the thing is 1 foot deep, not even close of being a tub. As for toiletry they provide only soap.

Food: they claim to have 3 restaurants. The main one works for all meals, rather small buffet, acceptable food. The second one works only during lunch, near the pool with sandwich-based food. There is also a third “fancy” one that has 2 seatings and requires reservation in advance.
What they DON’T say is that this restaurant is closed 2 days a week. Additionally, during my stay they simply canceled the second seating as there were not enough requests, causing the only seating to be often fully booked – We couldn’t get dinner there in 2 consecutive nights.

Swimming Pool: the 2 pools are extremely small and can’t even support 10% of the guests. Also, it’s very shallow, less than 4 feet.

Drinks: they have the all inclusive with the worst quality products you can find in the market. In the end, all drinks taste the same. Even soda is from some generic brand. After 2 days you catch yourself drinking only beer and water. Anything else tastes like syrup.

Entertainment: They have some guys playing live music by the restaurant which is quite nice. Also, a small concert every night. During the day, they have a poor team of entertainers without any training or experience. During our stay they proposed some stupid game to make people pop balloons by jumping on the swimming pool with it, right in front of the “no diving” sign. No surprise, the first guy to try it (a man in his middle 50s) hit his head in the bottom of the pool and bleed all over the place.

Staff: The staff is very unfriendly, borderline of being rude. The people working in the bars avoid eye contact as much as possible, delaying to take any order. On my first day I asked the bartender what time was it and she: “I don’t even want to know”. As someone who says “I am tired of this place”.
In another occasion, the sea was rather rough and I went for a swim. The life guard shouted: “Hey man, swim at your own risk!”
In summary, the staff is mostly unfriendly, unless they are trying to SELL YOU DRUGS. We’ve been offered drugs from 2 staff members by the swimming pool.

Internet: Internet connection is ridiculous in the hotel. In the first 2 days there was no wi-fi, only a very old computer near the reception. Internet costs 5 dollars for an hour and 20 for 24 hours (consecutive). After that wi-fi was back but it only works around the reception. No wi-fi in the rooms.

SCAMs: During the stay you must keep a wristband at all times. This is nothing but a scam magnet. When you go out the gates of the hotel, locals approach you saying that they work in the hotel and try to rip you off.
The wrist band says “Free entry nightly” to a local club (see picture: http://i48.tinypic.com/2my70ap.jpg ). It also says “free shuttle”. As the reception says, the shuttle goes at 11pm and comes back at 1am and 2 am.
We went there on a Sunday, taking the shuttle. For our surprise, once we arrived there, before we could go out the bus, one of the club bouncers enters and says that it’s a 10 DOLLARS FEE for entering the club. The man told us that ONLY ON TUESDAYS there is free entry for the resort guests. Since we felt like it was a scam, we wanted to go back to the hotel but the driver wouldn’t take us back. It was a 15 minutes walk back avoiding the scammers and drug dealers.
On Tuesday we went there again. This time, we managed to go in for free. The club was pretty lame and we decided to go back with the shuttle at 1am. For our surprise we were informed that THERE WAS NO SUCH THING. The shuttle only runs at 2am. As a result, we had another walk avoiding dealers at 1am.
These were nothing but LIES form DECAMERON staff and advertisement!

One last thing, in their website they have a clear advertisement “all inclusive, including cigarettes!” (see picture http://oi50.tinypic.com/ykpyh.jpg of the website http://www.decameron.com/eng/inclusive_vacations.html
accessed on October 28th, 2012 )… [--]!!!, no one in the hotel knows about this.

In the end, I was very annoyed of being in DECAMERON. I never felt welcome and was always with the feeling that a new scam would come next.

If you don’t care about quality, and only want an ocean view, you may enjoy the place, but I would NEVER recommend such a hotel. Save your money or spend a bit more and get some real vacations!

5 Thank Ricardo K
Kingston, Jamaica
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We enjoyed our stay at the hotel even with the rain it was great. Heroes Weekend was only three days we wished we could stay longer. The entertainment staff was awesome as well as the restaurant and housekeeping staff. My crew of 14 were happy to have experienced the hotel and we will be back.

Room Tip: All rooms in the sunset section
2 Thank Packrat2311
Wichita, KS
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I enjoy writing reviews, so this may be long. Fair warning.

Traveling solo to a beach vacation was on my Bucket List, and after reading reviews I decided Royal Decameron was my destination. A quick taxi from the airport, check in was smooth, and the room was what I expected. Nope it's not a 5-star resort but you have to expect that with the price you're paying and reviews online. Everything was clean and in working order so no complaints there.

Food: Really good. People who are complaining about the buffet have too high of expectations for this kind of place. Breakfast was always an array of omelets made to order (ya mon!), roasted potatoes, a wide variety of fruits and cheeses, cereal, breads, juices - I mean what more do you want? Lunch/Dinner always had a rice dish and a bean dish/stew (horray for this vegetarian) in addition to meats, salads of all kinds (Greek salad, green salad, rice salad, cous cous), fried fish, plantain, vegetable dishes, and tons of desserts. Staff was kind and quick to re-fill waters, coffees, and offer drinks from the bar. I stopped by the Beach Grill for some afternoon French Fries one day - really average but hit the spot. Nice option for the in-between meal times.

Drinks: All low-quality alcohol but really. You're in Jamaica! Enjoy it and don't be a snob. I usually let the bartenders pick my fruity drinks and they were delicious. One thing I noticed right away was that I was the only person tipping. I realize the literature says "tips are included" but I just felt wrong not tipping. It's a personal choice but these guys work their butts off catering to snotty/demanding tourists and don't make much money. I'd venture to say those complaining about the service didn't tip at all. My bar service was immediate at ALL times, so take that for what it's wroth. And tip.

Beach/Pool: Small, but adequate. Almost cozy. I arrived shortly after Hurricane Sandy, so there was some beach erosion and damage to the boardwalk that a crew was constantly working on repairing. Plenty of chairs at both the beach and pool - the ones at the pool are REALLY comfortable. Be sure to bring some sunscreen or buy at the airport since you may fall asleep in these ridiculously comfy chairs (and the gift shop charges $13/14 for sunscreen).

Atmosphere: I was a little surprised at the "Spring Break" kind of atmosphere here. They have an "Entertainment Crew" that schedules activities and games - like trivia in the lobby, silly poolside contests, and a DJ pumping dance music at certain day-time hours. I am 33 years old so at that in-between point where I don't mind some of the crazy antics but at other times I just wanted peace and quiet. At times I could not get a quite moment since my room was right above the lobby and pool area, which was a little disappointing. Many of the guests seemed to treat this like their personal Spring Break - dirty dancing in the lobby and taking liquor shots off of each others bodies at the poolside bar. Again I have no problems with this, but you might think twice if you were considering bringing your children or extended family to this resort.

Staff: Good people. Hard working and pleasant. They really want you to have a good time - which at points they were trying a little too hard at, but overall they did make it enjoyable and seemed to truly care about your vacation. My only complaint here is that being a single female traveling alone, I was blatantly hit on and flirted with by nearly every male staff member. At first it was flattering but after a few days it almost became uncomfortable. Even to the point where one employee came to my room, and another called my room (why was the front desk giving them my room number??) - which I thought was highly unprofessional. Again I think they are good/great people but might need some training on professionalism.

Miscellaneous nit-picks: If I am going to have to pay for wi-fi, I think it's a little silly that it only works in the small lobby area. The whole beach-towel-card thing and charging $20 if you lose your card (and $50 if you lose your room key) is pretty stingy as well. I mean what I am going to do, steal a bunch of cheap beach towels? Last, there is NO SHAMPOO/CONDITIONER/LOTION in the bathrooms - I did not expect that, and had to purchase these things at the gift shop. I've never been to a hotel that did not offer this as part of the room. I would like to see an "all-inclusive" resort like this be a little more free with these kinds of things - shampoo, towels and wi-fi.

To re-cap: A great vacation resort, but you have to look at what you're paying and set your expectations accordingly.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
13 Thank lisac957
Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We stayed here Oct. 21-28th 2012. There were 8 of us and we hired Zipp 2 days in a row, he was great! He took us through the country and showed us how the people really live. We went to Negril, Ocho Rios, and showed us many things we wouldn't have seen on the hotel tours! When we wanted to stop for a beer he happily accommodated us, if you ever want to go anywhere he is the man to ask for, just tell him the party with the green haired guy highly reccomended him! The resort was great, people were friendly and the shows were different every night! We were there for hurricane Sandy, and except for having to stay in our room for the afternoon on wed. it was a really great time.

2 Thank Lori M
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We were at the Royal Decameron in April and we enjoyed it so much that we returned in October. I cannot say enough about the staff at the resort. Alain our Canadian Angel welcomed us and he was so nice to be around. The food was what I would say good but not as good as it was in April. The ala carte restaurant was not very good at all this time. Now having said that the food was not very good but the service was amazing!!!! I can honestly say my only complaint is the plumbing. The water in the tub does not go down quick enough. If I could advise anyone about travelling to Jamaica do not pay for a taxi ask how much the excurtions are at your resort. Don't be too quick to open your wallet for the locals because they think we are all millionaires. Dunes river amazing, Bob Marley museum fantastic. Nigril breath taking!!!

Room Tip: We have not had a poor location yet. Ocean view is the way to go!!!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank carrole r
Hamilton, Ontario
Reviewed October 24, 2012

I had been looking for a great place to vacation this October and after a bit of investigating, I went with Jamaica, partciularly this resort. I appreciated that this resort was only 10 minutes away from the airport in Montego bay. This really helped me make my decision. This, and the many many wonderful reviews thast I have read on Trip advisor. Royal Decameron is a chain and has other resorts in other parts of Jamaica. I chose Montego Bay because it was smaller and appeared to be quieter, which is what I was looking for. I believe there is only a hundred and thirty rooms or so, and I found this to be a plus. The resort is lovely. Lots of lounge chairs, hammocs, swing chairs, never out of a place to sit. Two swimming pools, one more private and the other has a swim up bar that overlooks the ocean. Three or four different small beach areas, one man made beach. I liked this because some beach areas on the resort were more private and I felt like I was going to several little beaches. I am a lover of sea glass and sea shells and discovered many treasures to take back home. I found the staff to be terrific. I wish I could remember everyones names, "String Bean" stands out at the snack resturant. And Felisa at the breakfast resturant everyday. The food at the buffet changes themes everyday, I enjoyed the Jamican food, loved that jerk chicken,and having an omelette every morning. I disliked the coffee and the wine. Bring Instarnt coffe with you if you really do want strong coffee. The A La Carte resturant was good. I actually prefered the buffet. When we did go to the a La Carte resturant I had a stuffed chicken breast, mashed potato and vegtables. The soup was very good as well.
I highly suggest that everyone bring with them a insulated mug for your drinks. The resort gaves out drinks in small plastic tumblers and I found the drinks to be way too strong for me as the cups were very small so there really wasn't room to water down drinks with juice or pop. Pepsi and Sprite are served and Red Stripe Beer. Along with rum, vodka, all types of liquors. Nothing high end of course, but that is perfectly understandable.
I had a masage at the resort. It was very good and I reccomend this. 60 dollars US for one hour and it was worth every penny. YOu can also have hair braiding done at ther resort. There is a gift shop on site and crafts evndors come several times a week. Remember to take lots of sunscreen with you as its about 14 dollars in the gift shop. We ventured out on to the hip strip which is right outside of the resort and I personally did not feel safe as almost immediately people starting following us and asking us if we wanted drugs. They can be very aggressive with this and it made me uncomfortable. If you want to do day trip excursions you can book them through the resort. You can go to different parts of Jamica for the day, horseback riding, Bob Marley Tours, ect. We took a trip to Negril and it was about 39 dollars each. We were taken to a beach(Negril is famous for their beaufiful beaches) Then shopping and then famous "Ricks Cafe" where you can watch people jump off of the clifs and into the water, its pretty cool!
Every day there is a three man group who play guitar, drums and sing while you are eating your lunch and supper. They were very good.There is nightly entertainment at the resort as well. We woke each day at 5am and after sun, beach and booze, we were done so I can't really comment on nightly entertainment. My one complaint about the resort is that when I checked in at 3pm, my room wasn't ready. Anyone can appreciate that after travelling for an entire day, you are looking forward to your hotel room so you can rest, and it wasn't ready for over and hour and a half. Now really, there was a bar and a place to eat while we were waiting, but as a first impression, this was not a good one for this issue alone. I have read the other reviews and did notice that this was a concern for others who visited the resort so I do hope that this issue is taken servousy as a concern.
I reccomend this resort! Great value, Great Staff CLEAN fun, family friendly!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Melia Braco Village
Melia Braco Village
#1 of 1 in Rio Bueno
Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel

Been to Royal Decameron Montego Beach? Share your experiences!