“The real deal on Royal Decameron Montego Bay!”

Royal Decameron Montego Beach
Ranked #24 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Charlotte, North Carolina
“The real deal on Royal Decameron Montego Bay!”
Reviewed August 1, 2011

ROOM- My childhood best friend and I stayed at Royal Decameron Montego Bay from July 19-July 24th visiting Jamaica for the first time. When we booked the room we knew that this was only a 3.0 star hotel and we were ok with that because we vacation twice a year and only wanted to pay 3.0 star prices this time. The hotel was less than a 5 minute drive which was very convenient for us especially being that the taxi’s overcharge you ($15 for a 3 minute ride to the hotel go figure). Our check in at the hotel was quick and easy, the elevator upstairs to our room was tiny and hot (only fits 2 adults if you want to avoid passing out lol), the room was very clean, and the frig was stocked with water, soda, beer and wine. The room was a little dated but it’s clear they try their best to provide you with as much updates as they can. Cleanliness was most important to us so the fact that it was very clean and free of the “hotel smell” made me feel very comfortable with downgrading to a 3.0 star hotel on this vacation.

DRINKS- Oh Goodness…..the drinks were absolutely great! Some of my favorite drinks were the Nuts & Berries and Pink Pleasure (I think that’s the name). Kenisha, Rupurt, Christopher, and Jerome were hands down the best bartenders I ever had! Rupurt was the funniest and when I think about how silly he was, I smile. Good laughter and being happy really does soothe the soul!

FOOD- The Jamaican dishes were good but the American dishes like spaghetti or lasagna……uuuh not so much. I'm American so I guess if I tried to cook Jamaican food it would be a total flop for me too. The chicken is fantastic and they have multiple dishes to choose from so u will definitely find something Jamaican inspired that you enjoy. My suggestion would be to not wait until the last minute to eat because the buffet is open to the outside air and I noticed some fruit flies on the fruit when whenever we ate late. That killed all future options of eating fruit for me during the rest of our stay no matter whether we ate early or late. Lastly, although they switched up the food selections, we got tired of it after 3 days so we skipped lunch the 4th and 5th days and opted for dinner at Burger King the 4th night and the Bobsled Pizza place the 5th night

PEOPLE- The staff at the hotel was very accommodating however, I could feel and see a huge difference behind the eyes of the women staff and men staff. When I asked why the women seemed to be a little cold towards us I was advised that the women aren’t the fondest of attractive American women mostly due to jealousy and the idea that we take their men away from them. Initially I thought that statement was silly and untrue but when we received that same look and coldness from the local women on the street, I began to believe it was true. We decided whatever their issue was we weren’t going to entertain the looks anymore and decided we would just talk to the people who were most friendly to us….. the men HA! The hotel is right on the hipstrip so walking down the road to the local shops, Margaritaville, and the Pier was an easy walk. The locals are a little annoying wanting you to buy from their shop but we kindly turned them down and kept going our way. Luckily we were not offered to buy drugs or s*x but if were, we would have kindly turned that down just the same.

Overall—I enjoyed myself at the hotel and had a fabulous time using their beaches, boating, pools, and bars! I would stay there again but since I always like to experience new places, I would want to try a few of the other all inclusive hotels before redoing Royal Decameron Montego Bay. If you book this hotel you will enjoy yourself just remember three things…. 1, you cost conciously booked a 3 star hotel (so don’t expect a 5 star hotel). 2, you are on vacation (so check all your troubles or bad attitude in at customs). 3, You are in Jamaica where they love to party and have a good time so remember that it will all be no Worries Mon!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
6 Thank mochamalone

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (694)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Bear, Delaware
Reviewed July 30, 2011

Me and my two cousins went here the end of June. Overall we enjoyed ourselves. Most of the staff we encountered was very friendly. But just like any other resort, they all expect tips for everything they do. So come prepared with cash!!

We booked a triple occupancy with our travel agency, but they tried to put us in a room with 2 beds and a lounge chair. We had to call the front desk our first day to order an additional bed. The inside of the rooms are a bit outdated, and we only had one shower and full bath which wasnt that convenient for 3 females

The food was average, and they rarely started dinner at the designated time. Being late in jamaica is the norm. also we found that the activities onsite were limited and not really worth the time participating

we spent most of our time eating, enjoying the drinks, and hanging out on the beach. so it was very relaxing. also beware if you decide to leave the hotel, you will be bombarded with people trying to sell you items. dont walk past margaritaville or you will be going into a very bad area that tourist probably should stay away from

we did take advantage of one of the excursions offered for a party boat to dunns river falls and loved it, (i will write a separate review on that)

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Undecided
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Over booking is a daily practice - we went in March & when we arrived we were told that our room had been damaged by "Spring-Breakers" and we would have to stay at the sister property in runway bay.

What infuriated me the most was that they told me that they had tried to contact us to let us know about it. What they didn't remeber was that I had e-mailed him 2 days prior to our arrival to finalize the details of our wedding vow renewal (a surprize for my wife).

While it was a huge hassle & not the surprize I was hoping for, they eventually made it right.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SMVORCA
NJ
Reviewed July 28, 2011

For the third time we have stayed at the Royal Decameron, Montego Bay. It has become our second home! The staff is wonderful, especially our good buddy, Shane! The resort is small, which we love! Those bigger hotels have to much waiting on line! We went zip lining through Barrett Adventures. Highly recommend using them for any tour you want to take. Zip lining was awesome, except for a rude remark by one of the zip line workers, had we been home we would have left immediately, but we were in Jamaica where the attitude is NO problem! Also, we will use Air Jamaica next time. Continental crew was horrible! The Air Jamaica crew is so much nicer!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Hemel Hempstead, England
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I spent 9 days here from 11th july, and spent the remaining 5 days at their sister hotel club caribbean in Runaway Bay (See separate review) travelling with my husband and extended family.
On arrival at MB Airport we were met by out Thomas Cook Rep - very friendly and helpful. Finding our coach was a bit of a shambles but we got there in the end. The transfer from this hotel is literally 5 - 10 minutes which was well welcome after a 2 hr delay and 9 hour flight!!
As previously stated on TA don't be put off by the 'old' looking entrance it really is clean and tidy (if not bit basic) inside. The reception staff could really do with being a bit friendlier, actually all the staff apart from 2 or 3 were quite grumpy and at times rude - even a tip didn't really get you anywhere (and they expect this for everything!)
The Entertainment staff were very good at entertaining - themselves! They constantly changed the music and hardly ever let one song finish and added very annoying sound effects! The evening entertainment was ok a bit amateurish but they did try and you can make the most of it.

Our rooms were clean and tidy. We had 2 smallish double beds and a fantastic sea view. The bathroom was a bit dated and could do with a bit of a re vamp. Lots of channels available on the TV if you wanted them. Cleaners did a great job but it would sometimes be 4 - 5 pm before they got round to doing your room!

Room safes are $2 per day and a $100 charge if you lose it! $20 if you lose your towel and i think it was $25 if you lost you room key!

Food was ok - some very odd concoctions but they are catering for lots of different nationalities and I think they do this very well. The omelettes and fried eggs at breakfast are to die for!! The Jamaican A La Carte restaurant was fantastic and the food very nice - you can get away with eating here quite often if they are not busy!

Not really a lot of water sports - 2 pedelos (1 broken) whenever we asked to use these the sea was always too high?!?!?!? Single and double kayaks are available as are masks and snorkels.

Feeding the fish and the end of the pier in the mornings is fabulous you really get to see a lot of fish . The pools were clean and tidy and we made use of the water polo net frequently. Loads of beds but not enough shade. The huge beds on the waters edge are also great for chilling on. No beach as such just small man made areas - do take water shoes as there are plenty of sea urchins.

They will offer you the chance to go to their sister hotel and I reccomend you take them up on the offer - they will offer a free trip to dunns river and a free safe as a thank you for doing it. We were going a bit 'stir crazy' and welcomed the change.

Would I go back? No, for 2 reasons really this was my second trip to Jamaica and I was left a bit disappointed and it is a solid 3 star and you do get what you pay for but they could make it so much better with just a few tweaks!! 4 Star and above for me from now on!!

Room Tip: Request a high room and as far away from the evening entertainment as possible
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Joanne F
Hanover, Ontario
Reviewed July 28, 2011

My daughter and I went to the Royal DeCameron in Montego Bay Jamaica for a week in May. We just loved all the varieties of food at their buffets. The staff were all very friendly! Miss QUE QUE who was in entertainment and Lashoya from the restaurant. They were great!! Most of the staff in the restaurants treated you with the utmost respect. At the bar we kept asking for the Canadian drink. It was non-alcholic and consisted of strawberry ice and coconut ice. All the bartenders got to know us and would ask us if we wanted a Canadian as soon as they saw us. The entertainment was delightful every night and you could join in on the Decameron nights. Would highly recommend this vacation hotel to everyone.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 24, 2011

Stayed here in May 2011, we were given a lovely ground floor room at the far end of the resort, this was ok, as enjoyed the walk back to the room at night. Room very nice compared to RDCC in Runaway Bay, only one restaurant at night which was disappointing.
Swimming pool area was very good and the snack bar area was always full, ate here most lunch times.
The beach was quite shingly, but did not spoil my swim as I wore beach shoes.
One gripe is that in the morning only the beach bar was open and this was always busy, so difficulty in getting served, the entertainment team here were not on a par with RDCC Runaway Bay even thou the shows were the same.
One extremely positive remark was the location, I walked Montego strip and felt safe, the tourist police approached us and asked where we wanted to go etc, yes we were asked did we want ganga etc but wherever you holiday locals try to sell their wares.
I would visit here again, but would hope that the entertainment and food were on a par with RDCC Runaway Bay, if I could move staff, food quality and a bar that opens as well from Runaway bay to Montego bay, I would return tomorrow.
Overall fantastic location, lovely hotel and only approx 5 mins from airport

Room Tip: Request room on 1st fllor or a balcony
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Melia Braco Village
Melia Braco Village
#1 of 1 in Rio Bueno
Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel

Been to Royal Decameron Montego Beach? Share your experiences!