Open today: 7:30 AM - 7:00 PM
Review Highlights
Awesome fishing trip

I have never been deep sea fishing and was looking to do it in Jamaica! We were picked up by the... read more

Reviewed June 4, 2018
MClark0201
Braselton, Georgia
via mobile
Hard working crew - great time!

After leaving Montego Bay the crew worked constantly putting out sets and searching for bait fish... read more

Reviewed May 8, 2016

from $200.00
from $99.00
from $30.00
More Info
All reviews hour trip offshore captain boat resort
Selected filters
Reviewed April 13, 2015

I booked this trip at the last minute to take my 11 year old son fishing. We went out on the smallest of the three boats, which makes sense for a two person charter. The downside is that there isn't a head on the boat. Since it was all guys on the trip it wasn't a problem, but you should ask if you are bringing a lady if you are going to take the small boat.

We ended up doing a trolling and deep drop trip. We ended up with a smaller tuna (about 2 1/2 foot) and a number of snapper. The captain and mate were very nice and encouraged my son to catch some fish.

I've never done a deep drop before and I was not prepared for what it was. This is no fault of the trip - just my ignorance. You fish so deep (1000+ feet) that they use automatic reels. Basically you drop your line, wait a couple of minutes for it to hit the bottom, hold the line until something grabs the bait and then the mate pushes a button on the reel and you wait a couple of minutes for the fish to be brought to the surface. It was a bit anti-climactic.

I read the reviews about the crew keeping all of the fish. I'm not sure what response we would have gotten if we said we wanted to take them all, but we were staying at a resort and I told them we had no way to cook the fish so they could keep them. The mate then said he would be happy to fry us up some of the catch and that we could come back in an hour to pick them up. That really impressed me - I know my 11 year old wanted to taste what he caught so I took them up on the offer. We came back to the dock and the mate had them all fried up and wrapped in foil for us. We took them back to the resort and they were absolutely delicious.

All in all a very successful trip. It would have been more fun if we had caught at least one more fish trolling, but that isn't the fault of the crew - it is pretty much the luck of the draw when you go fishing. We did end up catching about a dozen fish, and my son enjoyed the trip.

I would highly recommend this company. The boat and the equipment were all top notch. Make sure you let them know what you are looking for before you leave.

Date of experience: April 2015
3  Thank Gary E
Securelysocially, Manager at Marlin Madness, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2015

Thank you very much for the review and in-depth descriptions. We are always happy to do special requests and do what ever it takes to make our clients happy. We hope that the fish also tasted very good. We hope you come back and visit us again very soon.

Reviewed April 3, 2015 via mobile

We caught no fish but crew worked very hard. Turned out to be an expensive boat ride. My kids got sea sick but that's not the crews fault. They tried hard and were very sympathetic towards the kids. We had one strike but no fish on. Seemed knowledgable just understand when you go after marlin its hit and miss.

1  Thank Aklugh
Securelysocially, Manager at Marlin Madness, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2015

We are sorry you were not able to catch a marlin. As you know we do try our best. We also were saddened by the fact that your kids got seasick. We thank you for making it Marlin Madness.

Reviewed August 4, 2014

The admosphere was so tranquill at all time. It is a great place to be with a love one......The cleanniness of the place and all that offers makes you feel at home ..

Date of experience: July 2014
4  Thank kendomi
Securelysocially, Manager at Marlin Madness, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2015

The waters around Montego Bay can indeed be great. We are pleased you had fun and hopefully got yourself a big one.

Reviewed May 20, 2014

Booked trip with wife and four buddies in May 2014, two had never been offshore fishing. Boat was sturdy and comfortable, Cap'n Billy was top notch and crew was hard working. We caught two large (4-5ft) mahi and a wahoo, and we were absolutely thrilled and appreciative.

Everthing was great until one of my friends lost a third mahi and the crew got on him pretty good. I was surprised, never seen both members of a crew openly criticize a guest before (Jesus Christ mon!!"), especially when the video later showed he was given no guidance during the fight and did everything proper while crew was clearing other lines. Where we come from (NJ) it's typical to slowly raise rod back, then reel in on the downswing to keep tension. I guess not in Jamaica mon, where apparently the mono line is either very old or of insufficient strength.

Anyway as we were pulling up to the dock we discovered why the crew was so annoyed...they had no intention of parting with any of the fish. Even after giving a nice tip and asking only for enough for our group (one side of one mahi), I was told repeatedly "your resort will not cook it because of liability concerns". Huh? Fortunately I've been on several other charters in Jamaica and each time the resort (Sandals, Beaches, RIU) had no issues preparing our catch. And regardless, I never had a charter argue with me in front of my guests about it. So what do I do? Ask for my tip back? The scene was so "Jamaica-ey". We had a stalemate until I finally insisted they just wrap them all in trash bags and stuff them in the van, I'll deal with it at the resort. Then after some non-english back n forth they cut us off half of a fish.

What an odd, tense ending to an awesome first half of the day....not exactly how I would have handled things if I were them. So my advice to others (in general, not just this charter co) is have every last thing spelled out before you leave the dock, and NEVER believe any person that says your resort won't cook your fish. Some have a release form, but ALL will happily do so....which is kinda the point of going fishing! :)

Date of experience: May 2014
11  Thank blbpdsusa

I must apologize if you felt mislead. Had you been staying at a villa or had express permission from your resort you would have been able to keep your catch. The problem lies with the hotels not allowing fresh fish to come onto their property. We are currently looking at various venues that will allow us to bring in your fish for you to be cooked and enjoyed. Please accept our appology and come visit us again real soon.

Reviewed May 9, 2014

My wife & I had the pleasure of spending the morning of April 30th 2014 out on the ocean with some of the guys from Marlin Madness.

Although it took a bit of an effort to finalize the arrangements because of the messaging system at the resort we were staying at we finally talked to Kathy who was able to set up the trip for us. We were picked up by Garrett 2 days later at our hotel and delivered to the boat.

Once on the dock we waited for the boat to pull up. We got a little bit of a show from some small fish at the near the coral at the dock. It looked a bit like an aquarium. Even more fish appeared when the crew threw in some cracker to "make the fish bigger."

Once on board the boat, Marlin Mania we were introduced to Captain Billy, Jumpy and Tony. We no sooner pulled away from the dock and the crew was starting to set out the lines. They had 7 different lines spread out in a pattern across the back of the boat. What really impressed me was the number of times that they kept changing the baits in order to try and find what the fish wanted.

It was a bit of a waiting and watching game. They kept their eyes out for birds. Birds meant that there were bait fish and bait fish meant larger fish. After about an hour and a half a couple of the reels started to scream and we had 2 fish on. We got 2 striped tuna on that pass and then continued to fish. A while later 3 of the lines got hit. We lost one and got two more striped tuna. These were the fish salt water fish that I've caught and I think that I'm hooked.

The water was pretty rough and although I didn't have a problem with it my wife was suffering a bit and we decided to head back a bit early because she couldn't take it any longer. I give her lots of credit. One because she isn't really a fish person, two she knows that she gets motion sick easily and three she actually lasted as long as she did.

So shortly after Captain Billy turned back towards the dock the centre line got hit and the drag was screaming off the reel. Once Jumpy and Tony got the other lines cleared I sat in the chair and started reeling in the fish. It was bigger than anything I'd ever had on. When I couldn't reel any more I got my wife to take over and I went to find the camera. I got some really nice pictures of this fish in the air.

We we finally got the fish in boat we learned that it was a white marlin. And apparently it's somewhat rare. Once we were back at the dock we took some more pictures and we were walked back up to where the driver was waiting to take us back to the hotel.

Once we got back to our room we decided to call Kathy and thank her for setting the morning up for us. Her first thought was that something was wrong. We informed her that nothing was wrong and we simply wanted to express our thanks and pass along our thoughts on the day. We then found out that our 5 1/2 long fish weight in at 46 pounds and that the white marlin only grow to a max size about 50 pounds so we had a fairly large one.

I can't imagine what it would be like to hook a fish in the 200 pound range but I'd sure like the chance. When we got back to Jamaica again I'm sure that I'll be calling Marlin Madness again to try and find some larger fish.

If you're thinking about fishing while in Jamaica I would highly recommend Marling Madness and they crews.

Date of experience: April 2014
6  Thank Raymond P

So very pleased you went fishing with us. I am even happier that you got yourself a fish. Please come back and visit us again really soon.