“Amazing”

Ranked #4 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Newport, United Kingdom
“Amazing”
Reviewed March 29, 2014

Recently returned from a 2 week stay here and this has to be the best hotel I have stayed at.

Firstly incase anyone reading this stayed in room 3053 prior to 10th March, I found an item of jewellery in the safe and handed it into reception.

The hotel is less than 10 minutes from the airport so you do hear planes throughout the day but this is no big deal.

Checked in by Ian in reception who was really welcoming and explained abit about the hotel.

Room was in a good spot on the top floor over looking the courtyard with a partial ocean view. It was always spotless and had clean towels daily, the maids did an excellent job.

The food was fantastic, always hot, fresh and plenty of choice. The buffet was closed several times a week just in the evenings but the a la cartes were open and you can eat next door at the other riu hotel. We did try this once but it certainly was not upto the standard of the food at the palace.

We ate at the steak house, zen and krystal all of which were very good. They don't have a reservation system in place for these so its first come first served. However quite a few of the Canadian guests didn't seem to grasp this concept and felt it was ok to turn up and just jump to the front of the queue in front of people who had been waiting 10-15 minutes for the steak house to open!

The staff at the buffet restaurant during breakfast and lunch were amazing. They could not do enough for you and the service they provided was first class. In particular Ryan, Morris and Denoy. And not forgetting Nathan at the steak house. Look out for these if you visit because they are fantastic.

The pools are spotless, cleaned every day by the lifeguard early in the mornings.

The waiters around the pool and beach area are also very good, always making sure you had a drink especially Natasha and Clive they were great.

The entertainment team were also fantastic, really friendly and great fun but they don't pester you if you don't want to get involved either. Theres not much entertainment in the evenings at this hotel but you can walk 2 minutes next door for their evening shows. A couple of times a week there were a band in the Aqua bar, they were very good.

This would be a place i would return to, it was an amazing holiday and it was great to meet all the lovely staff who work so hard to make this place live upto its name of the Palace.

11 Thank sally d

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (692)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Brattleboro, Vermont
Reviewed March 28, 2014

This 5 start wannabe is still on a learning curve. It has much to offer BUT: YOU CAN'T DRINK THE TAP WATER IN THE ROOMS AT THIS BRAND NEW HOTEL BECAUSE THEY CHEAPED OUT AND DON'T FILTER IT. They know the water can cause serious health problems, but management purposefully sweeps it under the rug. The staff is apparently instructed not to mention it to guests. The sign that the tap water is not potable is mentioned in a 1 1/4" x 1 1/2" square, hidden in a larger sign concerning reusing your towels, located in an inconspicuous location a good number of feet away from the sinks. I got deathly ill on my 3rd day there and had to be taken to the hospital by ambulance in the middle of the night with uncontrollable vomiting, diarrhea and stomach cramps. I was out of commission for the rest of the vacation and management never even called to see how I was. They just hid from us. Shameful behavior.

Room Tip: Their beachfront rooms barely give you a glimpse of the water. You must request a better room upon a...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Bonnie F
Bobcaygeon
Reviewed March 27, 2014

First I want to say that we loved Jamaica,the Riu Palace MontegoBay was awesome,lg.rooms very clean all over the resort,food was great!The staff were top notch,Thankyou to Javier for making our holiday extra special,also Fabian at the lobby Bar is the best,makes awesome Martinis ,very helpful,alsoAudley at the buffet breakfast area is a hidden Jewel,awesome waiter,overall we loved our experience and will definitely go again to this resort!

7 Thank Roxanne D
W Sussex
Reviewed March 26, 2014

Had two weeks at the Riu Palace having been to several other Rius in the past.

This is a brand new and relatively small resort on a lovely beach but next door to a very large "non-palace" Riu. I must say I was delighted we had booked here rather than next door as that one seemed amazingly crowded at all times with loads of American and Canadian spring breakers.

The Palace was beautiful inside and everything worked very well. Our room was lovely with a bath in the room which sounds silly but worked well.

The hotel was not full which meant the staff were under less pressure and consequently were really pleasant attentive and friendly.

Yes the beach is in the flightpath from the airport but I can't say it affected our holiday.

The room was very quiet at night but friends who were over in the other wing did complain about workmen finishing off some of the rooms in their wing. I would ask to be in the right hand wing as you look towards the beach as that seems to be completed. Our room had optics Gin Whisky etc so recovering alcoholics should keep away!!

Food wise I cannot speak highly enough. We don't like buffets as you get the sense that it has been picked over but not here. There also wasn't the usual morning scrum over the fruit juice and omelettes.

The speciality restaurants were also great and they had abandoned the previous booking system so if you were prepared to wait until the early eating North Americans finished their meal at about 7.45 there was normally plenty of room in all of them.

My biggest gripe is the menus in the speciality restaurants as they are always the same. The food was lovely, well presented and well served by lovely friendly staff with a great sense of humour. Couldn't each restaurant though have, say, two menus which they alternate?

Thanks to Riu and the fabulous Jamaican staff

10 Thank John B
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed March 25, 2014

I am a travel agent and I have stayed at many resorts. This one was by far the best service I have ever experienced from the buffet to the restaurant's to the beach and pool staff...It was like you had your own butler but didn't have to pay extra for it lol! The resort is brand new and very modern and chic and constantly being cleaned so it was gorgeous 24/7! The property is very small but i loved it as it only took 2 mins to walk everywhere and it had a very intimate romantic feel to it. It is adults only so it was very relaxing and chill and calm and i noticed a lot of couples there but a few groups of friends.

The beach was small (you can go to the beach next door at the Riu Montego Bay which is alot bigger but very busy all day. They have the best jerk chicken shack there open for lunch everyday which is something you have to try!!!!!!) but still very nice although I noticed the water being a bit cloudy compared to other beaches i have seen in Jamaica....All of the beach chairs are brand new and comfortable and there are always plenty available. They also have beach cabana day beds on the beach that were sooo comfy and amazing so if you want shade those are your best bet. There are only 6 of them though so first come first serve. The most amazing thing about the beach at night is you can set up candle lite dinners and they were stunning and well done!

The rooms were very open concept, big, and modern with a great lay out. The only complaint is that the beds were quite firm but you can ask them to add padding to it which kind of made it softer. I really reccommend upgrading to an ocean view as the view is gorgeous especially for watching the sunsets at night. The pools were very very nice!

Amazing a la carte restuarants which you can dine at as many times as you want with no reservation necessary! The buffet was darn good too! the 24 room service was great and good food plus the 24 hour snacks at the aqua beach bar were good too!

There was some entertainment at night as in one night a guy was playing the guitar, they bring in live singers who are very talented and sing at the lobby bar or outside at the aqua beach bar with different themes. Otherwise next door is where the nightly shows take place. It takes 2 mins to walk over there!

Both hotels are also great for wedding groups as i witnessed a wedding at each resort and they were beautifully set up with a great back drop of the ocean! I will be back at the resort in a heartbeat!!!!

10 Thank Kiki D
Reviewed March 25, 2014

I would definitely recommend this resort. Staff here is phenomenal, I've never met such a friendly bunch of people! Extremely clean, and kept.
Service was top notch! Even on the beach, you finished a drink and you had somebody there immediately asking if they could get you another!
Very close to airport, which was a plus for me, I hate the long haul in a shuttle bus, planes go over top but it wasn't bothersome to me.
The food was great, a few mentioned their steaks being over done but mine was perfectly cooked at medium rare. Italian was my favorite. The buffet was ok, you could always find something. I had the specialty restaurants every night. And the room service club house! Wow :)
We really liked the beach grill for a quick bite for lunch!
Go check out the luminous lagoon! You won't regret that decision, magical experience!

• Stayed March 2014
5 Thank ElleMak22
Reviewed March 23, 2014

We just returned from a four night stay. The resort is close to the airport. We grabbed a taxi and paid $20. Obviously you will hear planes...every resort in mobay has planes flying overhead. I just looked at is saving the 1.5 hour trip to negril.

Food was good. Buffet selection for breakfast and lunch was great, but not much variation day to day. Had I stayed any longer it would have bothered me. We ate at the steak house and we were NOT impressed. My steak was ordered medium and it came out well, lobster was overcooked. Overall, we didn't get what the hype was about. Other people there said the same thing, so it wasn't just us. The Asian place was meh, but we enjoyed the fusion place. Did not try the Italian place, but others said it was good. We also did not eat the buffet for dinner. We had no problems getting into a restaurant at all. We also did the beach dinner...worth every single penny. The food was cooked to perfection and the service was outstanding. You have to go to the jerk chicken hut on the beach at the other resort. Very authentic.

As others have said, the rooms are great. We got a courtyard view, but I could see the ocean if I sat on one side of the balcony. They do a great job keeping the rooms and resort clean.

The staff was AMAZING. Seriously, best staff I have ever encountered. We arrived at the resort at around 11 am, and they went out of their way to get us a room. The bartenders, servers, cleaners, etc were great.

My only hesitation about this resort is it was kind of...boring. We found some great people to talk to, but if we hadn't we would have been very bored. A lot of the guests were much older. I know they said the entertainment is next door, but we went over there and immediately wanted to go back...it was nasty. One day they had steel drums playing on the beach. They should really do stuff like that more often. It was the highlight of our days.

I recommend this resort. We got a great deal, and feel like we def could not have done better for the money. We might not go back bc we really prefer the beaches of negril...this beach was just alright.

Also, you can go snorkeling for $30 a person at the water sports hut at the resort next door.

• Stayed March 2014
Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
#19 of 63 in Montego Bay
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica? Share your experiences!