“Lovely Hotel!”

Ranked #3 of 40 Montego Bay B&B and Inns
Morges, Switzerland
“Lovely Hotel!”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

We had a lovely stay at the Mynt Retreat for 2 nights before going on to meet family at a villa. The location is just 5 minutes away from the airport where a driver from the hotel was there to meet us, which is extremely welcome after a long flight from Europe. Valerie was very welcoming and all the staff were very friendly, nothing was too much trouble and they were not put out at all when my son wet the bed! The rooms and hotel are also beautifully decorated. My only criticism would be that as yet there is no pool and the beach is a taxi ride away (about 5 minutes) but Valerie is working on this and I believe that within the next year there will be a pool put in which would make this hotel truly wonderful!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Tambarts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Burlington, North Carolina
Reviewed April 6, 2013

I have been back to the states a few weeks but I am still reflecting on the wonderful time I had in Jamaica at the Mynt Retreat. Not just being with a special some one made the trip amazing , but the hospitality that Valerie showed me was the kind of hospitalty we southerners do lol. She met me outside and from there on she took care of my every need, the breakfast was awesome, im a picky eater but they made sure to prepare something I liked, when my stomach did not feel good the morning I had leave , she made to give me ginger too, Its the first time i've been so far away and it felt like home. When I first got there going frome 46 degrees to like 75, I was hot. They prepared a mint julip for me and when I entered the room it was candle light , just a awesome , peaceful ambience , just what the doctor ordered for me .It was the best vacation ever. The room was nice, clean, service amazing, a home away from home , I had tears when I left, it was like leaving family, Valerie thank you for all that you did , ill be back soon , June hopefully !!! I recommend this Retreat to any one who wants a romantic , or just a get away trip .

Room Tip: You can't go wrong !!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 4, 2013

We needed to stay one night in Montego Bay as we were on our way to our honeymoon and chose Mynt Retreat. What a great decision. Valerie met us when we arrived and gave us a lovely minty drink to settle in. We then asked about going down to the strip and she arranged well priced and reliable transport for us. Breakfast was traditional Jamaican and excellent.

What we loved about Mynt Retreat was the proximity to the Strip and the airport but not being so close that you had to deal with the noise. The real key though is Valerie and her staff. She really went out of her way to help us and we can't thank her enough. We only wish we could have stayed at Mynt Retreat longer.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Weston, Florida
Reviewed March 22, 2013

I am sharing with you Montego Bay’s best kept secret… recently on a trip to Montego Bay, Jamaica I stumbled across the Mynt Retreat. Located just minutes away from Montego Bay’s Airport, and within a stone throw’s distance from Doctor’s Cave Beach and the Hip Strip. The Mynt Retreat has become my new home away from home…(if only my own home was as elegant and stylish).
Working in the travel industry I have had the opportunity to travel and stay in my fair share of hotel’s. Without any hesitation this is by far one of the best experiences I have ever had staying in a hotel/bed & breakfast. The place is immaculately kept, each room is spacious and tastefully decorated with just the right amount of furnishing. The beds are the most comfortable I have slept on. Breakfast’s were awesome which was authentic Jamaican breakfast, the ladies that prepare breakfast did an excellent job!

The overall experience is exceptional but without the gracious hospitality, charm & personality, keen eye and thoughtfulness of the owner Valerie I would not have had the full Jamaican experience that people of Jamaica are truly known for. Valerie knows how to make her guest’s feel right at home. From suggesting local must see areas to offering to transport me to Doctor’s Cave Beach, and even making arrangements for transportation to visit local out of area sites. Valerie was the key ingredient in making my stay in Jamaica so unforgettable. I will certainly be returning to Montego Bay’s best kept secret!!!!!! The only issue I had with my stay at the Mynt Retreat was that it wasn’t long enough!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank NABright
Melbourne
Reviewed March 14, 2013

What a special place. Tucked away in a quiet leafy street but so close to the hip strip and beach. The rooms are beautifully presented and comfortable. Valerie was so good to us, picking us up from the airport when we arrived and dropping us off on our departure and even packed us lunch for our trip home. The breakfasts were incredible - we were introduced to new Jamaican foods like mackerel rundown, saltfish and ackee, fried plantains and dumpings - as well as lots of fresh fruit, muffins and banana bread. Unfortunately, our trip coincided with Hurricane Sandy - so we had to cancel our plans to hire a car and drive to neighbouring areas, but Valerie and her team were very accommodating and kept us safe as we hunkered down during the storm. We are looking forward being able to to come back to do Mobay again!

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rebeccanicolesuzanne
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I had the extreme pleasure of staying at the Mynt Retreat for one-night (unfortunately) Saturday, March 10 and it was the most wonderful hotel experience/stay that I've had in all my travels to Jamaica! First of all, the proprietor Valerie is such a wonderful and caring person who makes her guests feel right at home and like family. She and her staff provide the best customer service that I've been exposed to in quite a while!

The property itself is BEAUTIFUL! Very bright and cheery in decor. The whole atmosphere of the place is "light, airy and RELAXING"! What a nice change for the "hustle and bustle" of the more busier resorts (especially for a New Yorker like me who longs for some peace and tranquility sometimes).

I found this hotel to be a great layover place for a quick stopover as it is not far from the Sangster International Airport (approximately a 10 minute drive) and it's also not far from the Hip Strip in downtown MoBay (including the beach).

Once you experience a stay at The Mynt Retreat - you'll definitely become a repeat visitor! This is an ideal spot for a "couples getaway" for a little quiet time together or even for someone traveling alone and not familiar with Jamaica but want to feel comfortable in their surroundings.

I cannot say enough about Ms. Valerie (the owner of Mynt Retreat) she is a true gem and very concerned about the quality of service she provides to her guests opposed to the quanitity of guests who check-in. That's a rare find indeed!

It was a pleasure getting to know Ms. Valerie during our many in-depth conversations during the one night stay of me and my friends.

I have not only acquired a new place to stay when in MoBay but most importantly a new friend in Ms. Valerie!

Don't miss out on the experience of this wonderful little "haven in the hills" :-)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Tanya3565
Milton, Canada
Reviewed March 5, 2013

My husband and I spent 7 nights at the Mynt Retreat . The hotel is just minutes from the airport and minutes from the Hip Strip and Beaches. We were greeted at the airport by a driver who took us to the hotel where Valerie and staff met us with welcoming smiles and an awesome mint julep. The place was exactly as i hoped ( as well as looks exactly like the pictures !). The morraccan theme throughout the hotel was warm and inviting and immediately we felt comfortable and ready to relax and enjoy our vacation. Valerie and staff were always willing to help us find and plan things to do, places to eat and even so much as aid in the process of applying for a travel visa which my husband had lost on the way down. Every morning we enjoyed a home cooked jamaican breakfast complete with a lovely plate of fresh fruit and of course , blue mountain coffee. The staff is genuinely friendly and anything we needed , if they didnt have it , would get it for us. The hotel is clean and the grounds are well kept and beautiful with lots of trees and flowers. We stayed in the Marakesh room on the second floor and it was fantastic. We had our own private patio with two lounge chairs overlooking the ocean. Any time we wanted to have a meal outside a table was brought over and we could eat outside watching the sun rise or set ! We would definitely recommend staying here either as a couple or family . We can not wait to go back ! Tammy and Devon Milton,ON

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple