“Wonderful glimpse of Jamaica” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Emerald View Resort

Emerald View Resort
Ranked #2 of 36 Montego Bay B&B and Inns
Citrus Heights, California
“Wonderful glimpse of Jamaica”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

My daughter and I stayed at Emerald View for six nights. We were looking for somewhere outside of the resorts, not a big-business hotel-chain, a real Jamaican vacation, not just another bit of America on just-another beach--and we found Emerald View. And loved our stay.

The gardens are full of bougainvillea and hibiscus and plumbago and other flowers, and it was January. Our room was clean and comfortable. The staff are friendly and helpful, the view from the room's balcony was wonderful to wake up to, and the coffee.... mmmmmmm the Blue Mountain coffee :-)

It's a short drive from Montego Bay's beaches and Hip Strip and downtown, and about the same distance from Falmouth. And as the hotel's website says, you can walk up and down the hill between Emerald View and the beach restaurants, and the local supermarket; while it is only twenty minutes or so, it is quite a hike (the hill is steep), don't expect it to be a stroll. The hotel provides a ride on request. The walk back up took us less than 30 minutes, at night, and quite a few of those minutes were negotiating the crossing of the main road because we weren't quite as brave as the locals!

Just a short walk further up the hill is the Greenwood Great House, which shouldn't be missed. It's a wonderful glimpse into the history of Jamaica, and has an amazing 180 degree view of the water.

Thank you so much Miss Jennifer and Duran for making our stay such a happy one! We'll be back, for sure!

I'll be writing more on my blog: http://alison-toon.blogspot.com Just search for Jamaica!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank AliSinclair

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

We were here in December 2012 for 3 nights, we enjoyed the stay but 3 nights was just enough.

Pros - The beautiful view, the extremely friendly staff (and the little girl is the cutest kid ever), the area is remote and was great for taking long walks and checking out the hillside of Jamaica, the locals were very nice and inviting, we didn't get hounded by 1 person the entire stay.

Cons - Our room was disappointing b/c it was in the basement and didn't look like anything we saw in the pictures... it worked well for us, I was just expecting it to be nicer. This might have been my booking error, just make sure you are getting a room upstairs. We only had breakfast there and it was $10 for a couple of pancakes and bacon... prices were much lower every place we visited, ever the touristy areas.

Overall I would highly recommend this B&B for low maintenance travelers that are looking to be away from the super busy/touristy areas.

1 Thank NRC_Chicago
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

Firstly I would like to begIn this review saying how WONDERFUL this Bed & Breakfast is, I LOVE it and will most definitely be back. I heard about this hotel through a friend who previously stayed at Emerald view and was very pleased with the service she received. After doing some research on Emerald View Resort myself i decided to book a room.

I arranged with Mrs. Jennifer to be picked up at the airport by Duran their driver and was taken to the B&B. Once I arrived I was greeted by the stunning view of the blue ocean, also this B&B has a breathtaking garden with tall palm trees at every corner.

When I enter the lobby I was welcome by Mrs. Jennifer who was very delightful and was more then happy to accommodate me with whatever I wanted. When I entered my room i was blow away, not only was the room very clean and spacious there was a very comfortable large bed along with a large flat screen TV which has ALOT of channels also I had air conditioning, a HUGE balcony and a spacious bathroom.

The food was very delicious and affordable and duran always took me anywhere I wanted to go and always for a reasonable price. Emerald view is very quiet and relaxing and the service I received was excellent. I WILL BE BACK.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank nina h
Gainesville, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

My boyfriend and I are in our late-20s and had never been to Jamaica. Both of us are American grad students who wanted to see as much of the country as we could without falling into mega tourist traps/secluded resorts that don't allow one to see much of the country. We also had a limited amount of time and a strict (ie. broke student) budget. We found this B+B through Delta Airlines, and were able to book it using Sky Miles without any problems! We paid for our stay in full using our miles without any hidden fees or surprises upon check out--very happy about this!

We stayed at Emerald View for two nights--the first and last nights of our 5 day trip. Both of us were very, very pleased with the service and rooms! Below is an outline of points for those debating on staying here:

- If you are not renting a car, make sure you make arrangements with Emerald View's staff in advance for a pick up. We did not do this when we got into town, and definitely wish we had. The B+B does charge a fee for driving, but it is less expensive than cabs. (Also, it's nice to not be hounded by cab drivers at the airport--was a tad overwhelming esp since neither of use had been to Jamaica before.)

- The B+B is located about 25 minutes from the airport. This means that it is also about 25-30 minutes away from the city. If you are interested in staying near the "hip strip" (ie. businesses on the water that seem mostly for tourists-- souvenir shops, restaraunts, bars, etc. We really liked a place called Pier 1...) so that you can walk to these places, then you should probably not stay at Emerald Views. HOWEVER, this B+B was really great about providing transportation to the places that we wanted to see (for a reasonable fee), AND being removed from the hip strip was great because it meant QUIET nights :) Plus, it let you see more of Montego Bay which was exactly what we wanted.

- Payment for transportation was accepted using American dollars. Word to the wise: please learn from our mistake and don't exchange money at the airport--most places in Montego Bay preferred American $$$, and the exchange rate at the airport was a total rip off.

- Emerald Views is located pretty high up on a mountain which, as the name suggests, makes for great views!!! The drive up goes through residential areaof Greenwood, and the road is not entirely paved. In other words, if you're used to Disney-esque resorts then this might test your comfort zone. Never fear-- we felt totally safe, secure, at peace while there! (I'll openly admit that having had some bad experiences in the past regarding my safety in America I am a big skeptic no matter where I travel, but had no problems here at all--and I was a full-time major airline flight attendant for years!) If you want to go to the beach, though, I would suggest getting a ride--walk seemed kind of far and up hill on the route back.

- The rooms were clean and quiet with AC, tons of TV channels, hot water, and free wifi. Also the breeze from the beach was FABULOUS--we didn't need the AC at all. On our second/last night there they set us up in a really nice room in the back of the property with a jacuzzi--it was great :)

- There is a touristy restaurant near the B+B called the Chill Out that is on the water. It's literally on the beach, and really lets you "chill out." Good food, great mixed drinks, a pier, live band, canopy beds on the sand, etc. People of all ages. And again, super close to Emerald Views and not as crowded as places on hip strip. Worth a visit.

Bottomline, Emerald Views was a nice spot. It definitely allows for quiet, and is an escape from societal craziness without being too removed from civilization. Everyone was very kind and hospitable. The grounds and gardens are very well-kept and beautiful. The rooms were clean had personality--not the cookie cutter uniform of the big resorts. I'd recommend it to anyone going to Montego Bay, esp those who want a little remove from the city.

6 Thank K B
Houston, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

Granted this was not a 4 star hotel but I would have rather been at this Villa than a 4 star. Jennifer and her staff was so pleasent and attentive. They made you feel like you were part of their family and went out of there way to make sure that we were comfortable. Her pricing was very reasonable and we got the real feel of the Jamacian culture. I would definetly go back!!! My husband had an injured leg at this time and like I said the went above and beyond to accomadate us and care for him. Thanks so much to Jennifer and her staff for the wonderful experience there.

3 Thank Patricia B
Franklin, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

This bed and breakfast is simply divine. My husband and I have very stressful jobs in the US and could not wait for our summer vacation to Montego Bay. We arrived with plans to stay at Emerald View for a night before meeting up with our friends at a local resort. After our flight, my hubby and I were treated to the sights of Montego Bay, Jamaica. The B& B is off the beaten path and on a hill that overlooks the Greenwood neighborhood. The area is true to Montego Bay and the B& B is tucked away in the hills. After a drive up the hill we were welcomed and spent some time relaxing in our room. My family is Caribbean and I felt like I was visiting a relative and immediately took a swim in the salt water pool. Since we've been back we haven't had time to write about our experience, but it was just that great! Wish we were there ~~~~~

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tasha D
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

My daughter won this trip via a timeshare presentation. So we decided to make it a mother/daughter trip. This was our first time to Jamaica and we wanted to be sure and get the full experience. Our first night there we went to the Fish Hut for dinner, while it was being cooked Miss Jennifer walked down to the beach and we swam with some of the locals. When our food was ready we came back and ate this wonderful tasting fish. Our view was great right on the edge of the water. I could not get enough of the view any and everywhere we traveled. The turquoise colored water was such a sight to see.

Day 2:
Zipline tour in the morning and that evening Duran the driver drove us over to Glistening Waters a nice evening boat tour and dip in the glowing water. Afterwards a nice dinner which Duran suggested at Chill Out Hut.

Day 3:
Miss Jennifer suggested Dunn's River and what a great place if you are up to climbing and getting a real good workout as well as cooling off. Once again we asked about another local eatery and Miss Jennifer said the Drunken Squid is a very good place to eat at. Tasted jerk conch and it was very good!

Day 4:
Miss Jennifer once again gave us a suggestion of walking seven mile beach in Negril and she did not fail on how beautiful it was. Duran drove us there and even got us a good deal on parasailing! That was a great experience since we were able to see much of the area from the air. Afterwards Duran was ind enough to drive us over to Rick's where we had a wonderful dinner and saw the most beautiful sunset EVER!

Overall our experience was great! Miss Jennifer always with her nice smile and places of suggestion to eat and visit were always on point. Duran kind enough to always drive us anywhere we wanted. There was always clean sheets and towels in our room. Simple room with couch and big comfy bed. I was very satisfied with the hospitality from everyone at Emerald VIew and being a place off the beaten path you will get a true Jamaican experience. I look forward to visiting again.

Room Tip: If you want to hang with the locals and get the true Jamaican experience stay at Emerald View.