“Emerald View Resort” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 36 Montego Bay B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“Emerald View Resort”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2011

The following is a rather long, yet detailed description of my experience at Emerald View Villa I will attempt to be as impartial and objective as possible in order to help travellers to be as well informed as possible.
I was a first time traveller on a budget. If you're looking for luxury and all the latest and cutting edge amenities then this place is not for you. If you're looking for cozy, cultural and comfortable then it is a hidden gem. After reading reviews on Expedia.com and Trip Advisor, admittedly after booking a room at Emerald, I became very apprehensive. People said the place was scary, dirty, unsafe and noisy. I would like to set the record straight. It was none of those things at all. It is not the Ritz-Carlton, but if you are travelling in Jamaica on a budget, then it is a no brainer. It is located on a hill, not far from the north coast, just outside of Montego Bay. It is approximately 25 minutes east of Sangster International Airport. In fact, when we touched down it was night, about 8pm and we got a drive to the villa by a Juta cab driver (airport taxi). We paid about $40 CAD for the ride. The driver informed us that he’d carried some guests there a few times and some were not pleased with the premises and had decided to stay elsewhere (there is a cancellation fee you should inquire about I believe it’s 1 night no money back even if you don’t like the place). The road on ascending the hill to the property is a bit ‘sketchy’ and might make you feel a bit uneasy after turning off the main highway. It is unpaved with bumps, rocks and potholes, but after subsequently travelling across most of the island, I quickly realized that Jamaica’s infrastructure is not very good apart from the main roads.

Concerning amenities, my room had a flat screen TV with plenty of channels (US and JAM), a mini fridge, balcony, a king size bed and futon. There is a bar downstairs as well along with hi-speed Wi-Fi.

After arriving at night, and travelling a bumpy road, the warm welcome we received from Jennifer the owner, quickly dispelled us of any anxiety. In hindsight the place was quite clean, the rooms are bright and spacious, the staff is very helpful, the nights were very quiet and our safety was never in question. Also, meals are about $10 CAD per plate, beverages are $1 each and if I am not mistaken (please inquire) rooms start at roughly $50 CAD or $60-$100 CAD per night. The cook deserves an award because the food was absolutely delicious! Overall, it was a great experience. When I woke up after the first night and peered out from the balcony I thought the view was picturesque. The premises are well maintained with lovely vegetation, flowers, shrubs and a pool. My family and I had a great experience and we would most certainly go back.

Room Tip: book in advance
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank rkp3cad

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2011

I enjoyed staying at the emerald view very much. The people were very welcoming and made me feel comfortable(even staying there alone on my last night). My friend and I being young girls, they helped us find the hottest parties in Montego Bay and made sure we got there safely and were picked up and brought home safely. I wish i could have stayed at the villa for more of my trip but just means I will have to come back!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank mizzjaye
Kingston, Jamaica
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2011

I took the youths of my church to Emerald View for a weekend and we did not regret it at all. I must say that this place was truly a divine direction given to us from the Lord and it was shown in how we found out about the place as well as our first viewing of it. First i must speak on the absolutely, beautiful ambiance. And beautiful is an understatement. Its as if this place was blessed with the right touch of heaven. Everyone loved the view and the landscaping was breathtaking. Looking out yonder you got a kiss of the bright blue sea. I'm telling you the view is absolutely captivating. That in itself leaves you breathlessly.

The villa itself has a rich Jamaican heritage to it, with grass pleated mats, Caribbean colors, wooden furnishings and breathtaking views in almost all the rooms.. The hospitality was excellent as Jennifer the hotel manager as well as her staff was always there when we needed them. The rooms were beautiful and again beautiful is an understatement. My room for instance had a balcony a nice living area and a huge king size bed, with windows at every angle showing you the divine view. When i saw my room i was like 'oh yea...bring on the vacation.'

But of course you know there is always need for improvement, but i would recommend anyone to visit and stay at the emerald view villas resort. It's truly a home away from home.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank GCJobson
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2011

Initially, I was very skeptical at the quality of the Villa, especial considering that the Villa was located 20 minutes away from Montego Bay on the bumpy road in the Jamaican suburb. However, once I was brought to the Villa I was absolutely astonish at the breathtaking view of the Jamaican horizon. Thus, Hencefore I decide to put my skepticism aside and judge the Villa with a clean slate. Once we got to the lobby and our rooms I happy that it was clean (kept clean and fully stock with clean towel and sheets throughout our vacation) but i was impress that the room came with A/C and so sort of Jamaican version of brighthouse or direct tv cable with clear reception complete with HBO, Showtime, MTV, CNN, National Geographic etc. with the room's exquisite view of the Jamaican coastline, I felt that somehow my living room in Orlando Fl was transported to an Island paradise. When I woke in my first Morning in Jamaica, I Greeted by a very scenic Jamaican sunrise. I was a little concern that I had to eat some strange Jamaican dishes, however I was pleased that we had a choice of American and Jamaican dishes. Now as I previous mentioned that we were a little considered the villa was located 20 mins away from Montego bay however the villa provides transport for everything. For walking distance things like going to the beach or going to local restaurants they provided free transportation but for going to places like horseback riding or Montego Bay or Rick's Cafe ( CHECK IT OUT) or zip lining they will provide transportation with a fee. However I was so hypnotized by the villa I spend the majority of the trip in the salt water pool (yea salt water go figure) ordering drinks from the bar. When you add everything up you have done every time that you could have done at any other hotel in Jamaica but for a much lower price ( the esoteric nature of the Villa and its view enhances the experience for me) so I would highly recommend it for anyone its a experience not to be missed.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Florida City, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2011

i spent a few days at emerald view and it was great! the staff was very friendly, and the view was amazing. it was great to sit and watch the sun set from my room.The breakfast was also great big up the cook, ms Christine and the others.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
philadelphia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2011

This place was absolutely terrible. I even contacted Trip Advisor because I was so deceived by the positive reviews. Which I think are doubtful. The location is really bad - in this weird quasi suburb of Montego Bay. You have to get a ride at night to the restaurants - it's really dangerous otherwise. The hotel provided a ride down. When we wanted to go back to hotel - we called and called and called the driver - he showed up 45 minutes later. We stayed in their 'best' room. one of many problems: one screen for 4 windows- curtains dirty, only lamp with no bulb, only lights on wall distant from bed, fan was loud, neighborhood party that went on blasting music until 3 in the morning. The grounds are surrounded by fence and they lock you in at night - sound safe to you? I've traveled to many places on my own and am a really good, relaxed traveler - we've used Trip Advisor to pick fantastic places around the world - I'm warning you, this place is no good. We were the only ones staying there in February - that may say all I need to say about it.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank flowersngardens
Kingston, Jamaica
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2011

Emerald View Resort is absouloutely wonderful; it's a vacation made in heaven. This was my second trip and I'm looking forward to returning. The view is breathtaking and the rooms are spacious and clean. Everyone's so pleasant and helpful. You can vegetate all you want or if you're looking for adventure, it's just a stone throw away.

On my first visit I was doubtful that I'd enjoy my visit, especially when my husband made a turn on an unpaved road that leads to the resort; I swore we were lost. But once we got to the top of the hill I just about forgot that we'd driven on a bumpy road; it was like finding a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow. It's absolutely fantastic.

The best thing I like about being there is that it's so comfortable, beautiful and serene that it really makes me feel lazy and relaxed, which is the point of getting away right? What I least like is when I have to leave; my vacation never seems to be long enough.

I used to stay at all-inclusive hotels which are way more expensive, now when I think of getting away I think of Emerald View Resort, which has much better rates with similar quality service. There's no entertainment at the resort but as I said before, if you're looking for adventure and entertainment it's just a stone throw away.

Room Tip: Room # 6 is spacious and has a balcony
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple