“Wonderful experience”

Amarillo, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Wonderful experience”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Stayed in Hopwell, Jamaica at the Round Hill Resort. We needed a ride to Ocho Rios and to Montego Bay so our front desk called our driver Davion. Over the next four days he drove us where ever we needed. Very professional, clean van, air conditioned, and generous. I have nothing but the best to say about him. He took us to a local spot to eat that had the best garlic crab I've ever had. If you want a trustworthy driver/tour guide he's your guy. His contact#: 876-286-6417.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank eincorporated

Houston, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Davion was Amazing!”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

On our second day of vacationing, we were lucky enough to meet Davion. Our hotel actually contacted him for us, so that was proof that he was the best. Davion is a Juta Tour contractor, and he not only provided transportation, but he also told us things about the town we would have never known. He also took us to some hidden places and spectacular views of the city.

My pet peeve is being late, and we were ALWAYS on time with Davion. He made me and my friends feel safe and comfortable, and I highly recommend him for any transportation or services you may need. After meeting him the second day, he was on speed dial for the rest of the the trip. Save yourself time and stress and call Davion at 1-876-286-6417.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Brittany B
Arlington, Tennessee
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Professional Transportation and Tours”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We skipped the hotel tours and got private transportation for the day from JUTA tours. The driver, Barry, was the utlimate professional and made us feel perfectly safe on some pretty tricky Jamaican roads. We wanted to make a couple of of the usual tourist spots, but also get a feel for real Jamaican culture. Barry picked some really great spots and made sure we got where we needed to be on time. In addition to having a great time and seeing multiple sites, we saved a pretty nice chunk of change over the price of the hotel cattle call tours.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Dennis S
Nashville, Tennessee
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Not a good experience...”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

This being my first experience in Jamaica, I am in no hurry to return. Upon arriving at the Cruise Terminal in Montego Bay, my wife and I walked out onto the sidewalk and a JUTA rep asked if we were interested in taking a tour or hiring a driver. After a few minutes of negotiating and discussing options, the rep set us up with a driver to take us to Mayfield Falls for a flat rate of "$--- for the day." We climbed into a van with no AC and the driver recommended that we open a window. He was not at all talkative and when we asked questions, the answers were very brief. He claimed that he has been driving for JUTA for 30+ years, but he certainly did not have the personality we had hoped for.

About 20 minutes out of Montego Bay, he pulled into a service station and asked me for $20 so he could put fuel in the van! After traveling through the country side for over an hour, I asked how much longer and he said we were over half way there. I had read that Mayfield Falls was about 30 miles from MB, so I asked for clarification. He assured me that he was taking us to Mayfield Falls and stated "things are just further than people realize." Over two hours after leaving MB, he pulled up at YS Falls down near the south coast. I pointed out that this was not were we wanted to go, and he said "This is better. The 'other one' is out in the bush and is very dangerous." So we stayed a YS for an hour or so before the return trip.

The ride back to MB was terrifying. The driver made several dangerous passes narrowly avoiding multiple head-on collisions. He asked if we wanted to stop and do some shopping and we said we would prefer to go straight back to the terminal as our alloted time in port was just about wasted. All the way back I was dreading the inevitable confrontation at the conclusion of the day. At the terminal, I handed him the agreed fare (minus the $20.00 I already gave him for fuel) and he said "That's not right. The $--- was the price to go to 'the other place.'' and he gave be a number $60 higher than what we had agreed on with him and the JUTA rep that morning. I pointed out that HE was the one that chose to drive to the other side of the country to take us to a place we didn't ask to go. He again said that he took us to the "better place" and that his number was fair. Worn out and disgusted, we were just ready for the day to be over so I reluctantly gave him another $20 (that I would have otherwised tipped a good driver) and firmly said "that's all!"

Next time, we will have a tour arranged ahead of time and hopefully avoid another unpleasant situation like this.

Visited June 2013
2 Thank 10-S-E-N
Montreal, Canada
1,237 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1,155 helpful votes
“Excellent private tour for cruisers”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

We booked the services of this tour operator right after leaving the ship . Many operators offer their services in front of the tourist information booth in the cruise terminal and they all seem to be on a fixed price basis depending on the number of persons booking at the same time !
We got the services of a driver/guide with an A/C van for 10 people ( 6 adults and 4 children) for $200 . We could have used the service for the whole day but we ended up using it for a bit less than 4 hours .
We asked for a tour of Montego Bay including the suburbs , to go see a fishing village and discuss with the people , to visit a handicraft shop and finally to go to a local restaurant to eat some local specialties .
We got everything we asked for , including the services of our local driver who knew his town and told us a lot of anectodes about the ways of living in Jamaica !
A very interesting day in Montego Bay