“Probably the most decent non-resort stay”
Review of Toby's Resort

Toby's Resort
Ranked #27 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
United States
“Probably the most decent non-resort stay”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Stayed here in Sept. 2012. Chose this place as the last day's hotel stay as we were coming in from spending a few days at a resort in Ochi and flying out of Montego Bay the next day. The way I saw it was, this was the last day in JA, and we were spending it shopping on the hip strip for souveniers, going out to dinner to one of the local spots, and not planning to spend the day on the premises at all. So why waste money on one of the more expensive resorts that you will not even spend time at? The property was mostly decent, I did have an issue when we first checked into our room, the bathtub had a trail of ants coming up from the drain, but they switched our rooms quickly and without any problem. Next room was just fine. A plus was that it was right around the corner from a BEAUTIFUL natural beach (not man-made like some of the resorts have) that was free of charge and did not close early. (I dont understand how you have to pay to get into Dr's Cave Beach AND they close early??). Overall great value if it is for a short stay and you dont plan to spend most of your time on the premises. (I will say that for a longer stay, to me, all inclusive resorts are a better value since everything's included). Hope this helps!

Room Tip: Check the entire room for any issues before you fully settle in!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Ashley G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Lima, New York
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Wow, all I can say is the pictures on the web site are very misleading. I too, read all the reviews for this resort and all seemed to be good. I'm almost confused thinking I went to a different resort! Resort is not an accurate word to describe this " Run down Hotel". Seriously people, have you never stayed in an actual Resort? The "bar", couldn't even make us a tropical drink. They don't even have a blender to make good drinks! The owner, Mrs. Chin purchased this Hotel 40 years ago.... and obviously she has not spent 1 dime on renovations! Our patio doors would note stay closed and locked. The pool looks "Hug" on the web site, what a joke. This place is so rundown I would not recommend to any traveler. Oh and the "Hip Strip" too many locals trying to get you to buy some illegal drugs! BEWARE

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
8 Thank Wendy F
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 20, 2013

i stayed at Tobys january 2013 for my birthday and i must say the place is lovely. the grounds are nice. The room i satyed in was on the upstairs floor and was overlooking the garden and the pool area which was nice. had a private outside area. the rooms where nice and clean. loved the shower, powerful n hot. the staff were nice and friendly.AC worked fine. the outdoor pool was one of my best bits, with a bar next to it. place is kinda quite. located right on the hip strip. close to beaches. cornwell beach is my fav. didnt eat any food there but theres lovely shops and places to eat nearby, would reccommend to couples, familiy and friends and also those travelling alone.

dont be fooled by the pictures on this sight the place has updated since then

Room Tip: upstairs double room overlooking pool and garden! ROOM 25!!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank evablessed
Folkestone, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 16, 2013

A great place to stay,very friendly and good food.all prices are reasonable for the location,which is situated at the eastern end of the Hip Strip.Close to amazing beaches,good restaurants,shops and bars.If you can book a room overlooking the pool(number 14 is ideal)you will not be disappointed.A short walk along the strip is the Chili Pepper,a locals bar with good local food at very reasonable prices.Doctors Cave beach is close by and very reasonable entry fee and prices and good life guard coverage.

Room Tip: Overlooking the pool(room 14) is great
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank Robin J
Manhattan, Kansas
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We stayed here our first two nights in Jamaica before we hit the road to drive around the island.

The rooms and furniture weren't the newest but, most importantly, they were clean! The staff was very nice and helpful. The breakfast was super tasty!

As for the location, it was easy to find from the Montego Bay airport and near some really beautiful beaches. However, to get to the beaches you have to walk down a street which is full of stores. Every five steps we were stopped and asked if we wanted to go in their stores, get our hair done, buy a bracelet, etc. That got a bit annoying but as long as you stay polite and give them a firm "no", you will eventually get to your destination.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Dickilie
Port Dover Ontario
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I had the pleasure this year March 11th 2013 to spend a day and a night resting up for my trip home after spending 6 1/2 weeks in Negril Jamaica. Tobys was an excellent choice .I spent the day relaxing around one of the 2 pools and then going for a walk along the strip.My room was clean air conditioned with my own little porch.I had Lunch and dinner in Tobys dinning room .The food was very good and the service excellent. I had a quiet nights sleep got up had a good breakfast and had lots of time to get to the airport which is about 5 minutes away.Lots of cabs available the price is around $1500ja.to the airport.I go to Negril every year but from now on I will return to Tobys a day before I go back home to relax and not having to stress on the ride from Negril to catch my flight. The staff at Tobys is five star the Lady who waited on me for dinner was one of the friendliest I ever met .We spent quite some time talking about our Grandchildren and had some good chuckles.If you want a great place to spend a night or 2 Tobys is the best bang for your buck.Clean and Friendly and close to the airport.I'm looking forward to next year in Negril at Roots Bamboo where I have been going since the 70's and my stop over at Tobys .

Room Tip: Ask for gardenview or poolside rooms Roadside rooms are a little noisier in the morning.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank kooch1
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My daughter (10 yo) and I stayed at Toby's for March Break 2013. I booked Toby's for a few reasons, the main one being the price. I also didn't want an all inclusive as I wanted to explore the island and tour etc. Toby's was the perfect choice for us for the following reasons-

1) Safety-As I travelled alone with my daughter feeling secure was paramount regardless of the cost. I really felt secure at Toby's as they have numerous security features. (Note; This is not to say that I don't feel safe in Jamaica in general cause I do! I have been here five times now and come back for a reason!) so note you will feel secure here- without being in a fortresss.

2) Location- the reviews all say this, but Toby's is at a great spot. Make a right and you hit the Hip Strip with shops, variety stores, culture etc. Make a left and hit a nice public beach (hey, its the one Sandals uses!) so location was great.

3) Rooms- I was pleased with our deluxe room. Nothing fancey but all the essentials including small fridge, coffee maker, balconey and a nice view of pool. Def worth the small upgrade. I asked for a second floor room for security reasons- and though this meant entering room from the corridor behind- I felt no worries ever doing this.

4) VIBE- The main reason that I loved Toby's and will def stay there again though is the vibe. This is a character hotel with an incredible mix of people- from healthy Euros to young families, to aging party boys to locals wanting a vacay- this small hotel had it all and i loved that. If you want to meet Tim and Tina from Kentucky, then stay at all inclusive or go to Kentucky! If you want to meet a great mix of people, support a local family (and not a multinational hotel chain) than Toby's is for you.

I come to Jamaica to leave stress behind and chill, and at Toby's I honestly felt that the staff would have done anything to make me and my daughter happy. We loved it so much that we are already saving to go back.

Tips- Though great people just trying to earn a living, the vendors on the Hip Strip can be a bit much, so walk on the right side of the street if you want to venture down more into Mo Bay. Some people ignored them or didnt meet their eyes. I used a firm "Not Today" and continued my journey. Respect goes a long way, but their persistence is incredbile too. Prepare for this.

Varierty stores are common on the Hip Strip so to save some money, stock up on juice, pop, cereal, noodles, snax and even booze for the room. Very cheap prices. There is also an eatery on the Strip- in fact the first one you will come to - The Jamican village that had very reasonable prices ($5-$8 dinners) and nice seating etc. Mo Bay is not expensive, so don't let that scare you. You can stretch your dollar in this town.

To sum it up- if you want white gloves and five stars- and you know you do- than do yourself a favour and book that five star hotel. If however you want a cozy stay, with two clean pools,a nice resturant a friendly poor bar and a great ambience than I suggest Toby's. Instead of texting all day, my daughter got to see the island. She made more memories than we ever did at an all inclusive.

We would probably never stay anywhere else again in Mo Bay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family