“Peace Corps Volunteer”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Montego Bay
Casablanca Beach Hotel
Ranked #36 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Austin, Texas
“Peace Corps Volunteer”
Reviewed May 22, 2011

I lived in Jamaica for 26 months and have stayed at many hotels in Jamaica and the Casablanca is hands down my favorite! It's not the most luxurious hotel Jamaica has to offer but it does have the most character.

The beds are stiff and hot water isn't dependable but it's perfect for a romantic getaway. Our deck in room 8 was huge, the small fridge was great for beer, our room was spacious and the sunsets from the deck were breathtaking.

Free access to Doctors Cave Beach, located next door- the beach does charge a lot to rent umbrellas and chairs but the beach is pictured on the back of the $50 and very well kept.
Twisted Kilt located next door has good food but is expensive and always tried to rip me off. Example- two for one mix drink special but two drinks poured in one cup and they did not tell me.
I love the bar that is just across the street above a souvenir shop. Free pool, decently priced drinks, very few if any tourists... great place to end the night.

Staff at the hotel treated us terrifically.
The very adventurous could easily get a red plate taxi from the hotel to the Montego Bay Bus Park and from there get a taxi to anywhere on the island.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank gavinpcv

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
longboat key, fl
Reviewed February 18, 2010

ok - second time, about a year apart, same feeling as before - great location. good people working there and owners are a trip. the beds are incredibly hard, king size, but the rooms are clean for the most part - sometimes you have hot water, the balconies are large with chairs and a small table, great activity viewing from your balcony, watch the sun set - the moon rise.... snokeling is good right off the beach below the hotel. the hotel lacks luster, even a litlle less than last march, but we like it. and if you are assigned to a room you do not like, ask to see another...there are several to chose from - usually.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
8 Thank debaLongboatKey_Fl
Reviewed January 4, 2010

No credit cards, no internet, no working pool,. too much street noise, hot water only at certain times. Beaches are private and CB's beach opened at 830am, entrance one block down through Doctor's Cave Beach Club. No early morning beach run or walk. Beach strip is small, and quickly fills with jet ski's and boats. so no serenity. no beach. Food choices were suboptimal. no fresh squeezed orange juice. no fresh squeezed juices period. bought coconut for coconut water off the street.

Hip Strip, is not hip, and less than a strip. nothing to see. ATM only bank of Nova Scotia and they do not clearly post charges up to $15.00 for withdrawals. The casino across from Margaritaville charges $6.00 and only permits $200.00 withdrawals.

Breezes Hotel closed and the two hotels across from them were closed. Several other hotels down the strip were also closed. Decameron Hotel was open, but full and I was not allowed in, guard at gate, only guests. Not even to see perhaps a pending room to help with future hotel choices. What choices?

negotiate everything w/ taxis. Prices can differ by half!

The only acceptable restaurant was Pelican, down the "strip", next to the Burger King. Be sure to try their Ackee traditional breakfast. They were very courteous and accepted credit cards. Skip the Pork Pit.

Casa Blanca's room #8 had nice old plank floors, lovely balcony/verandah, and a great view [you cannot see Cuba]. that's it. There are no outlets/plugs, the bathroom was ugly, faucets didn't work properly, no shampoo, no soap. Poor lighting. Sometimes the TV didn't work, but that's another story. Felt as if i was in the middle of a renovation, cut short and made ready-ish for my stay.

Jamaican people are very nice. The staff are very nice, especially the housekeeping staff and Maxine and shanee [spelling] at the front desk. We paid $148.00 per night.

Montego Bay and its hip strip feel as if it is on the brink of decay. Of becoming a ghost town. Since I like jamaica, I can only recommend, especially for a short trip that you go to an all inclusive e.g. grand lido, or one of the newer properties. Decameron has to be your only bet on the so called Hip Strip, and if they lock out future customers, well, i don't quite know what to say.

• Stayed December 2009
3 Thank pumamd
Iowa
Reviewed April 14, 2009

If your looking for a 5 star American Hotel then this is not for you. However if you are looking for something nostalgic, romantic, beautiful and a look at Jamaica outside of the all inclusive resorts. This hotel is vintage and very interesting with alot of history. I loved the hardwood floors and balcony right on top of the ocean. I would stay here whenever I visit Montego Bay.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank dsmnapa
Manchester England
Reviewed April 1, 2008

I stayed at the Casablanca Beach Hotel in March 1993, when my husband and I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary. We had a massive room and an equally massive balcony right over the sea - it was idyllic. We loved the food, the staff and the attention we received and couldnt fault it at all. What a shame the hotel ( according to other reviews) has apparently lost its charm and elegance, but there again, so has my marriage! - nothing lasts forever ! I personally would love to visit again to see for myself. Julie, Manchester, England

• Liked — It was a large room and balcony overlokking the sea
  • Stayed March 2004, traveled as a couple
7 Thank juliewhitehd
Arkansas
Reviewed January 23, 2008

We stayed at the Casablanca just a few days ago (January 4-11, 2008 )so I have up to date news about it. The Casablanca is the oldest hotel on the Hip Strip, and you can literally feel the history of the place soak into you. Our room was fairly standard, but it had a huge bed, working shower, hot water, and a balcony right on the ocean. We could see fish swimming below and sea urchins on the rocks. It does have a delapidated feel to it. The owners could definitely put a lot of money into this place, but they don't seem inclined to do so. Some positives: about two doors down from Margaritaville!, not far from the new casino across the street, there's a mean security guard who will yell loudly at any peddler that tries to get to you, you literally walk out of the hotel lobby onto the hip strip, the Jamaican Bobsled cafe is down the street, the beach is down below the hotel, a cute lizard lived on our balcony, great views of the ocean, and you can walk to the craft market or practically anywhere else in Montego Bay. Some negatives: you often have to go through the public beach to get to the hotel beach, and really the hotel beach isn't a private one. They only accept cash!!! This was astounding to us and could really deter some people from staying there I"m sure. Overall I would probably say this is a place for people who are not into the all inclusive scene, for people who like to go to a place that has a lot of history, for people who like a sort of 1920s feeling, for people who want to be able to be at the center of it all, but can walk a few steps and get away from it all as well!

• Liked — balcony view of ocean
  • Disliked — could use some sprucing up
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8 Thank ArmandaArkansas
atlanta, ga
Reviewed December 2, 2007

This place used to be nice MANY years ago, probably a very elegant place back in the day. Unless you don't mind staying at a Motel 6 then you might be ok staying here. Service was horrible. They only accept cash, which we were not told and had to walk down the street to the ATM. The restaurant was never open and the girl at the front desk had no clue when and if it would be. We had a small roll of used toilet paper. The next morning I called for some more, never arrived, I walked to the front desk twice and asked the girl and she told me I would have to wait until the maid arrived but she did not know when that would be. Two hours later I talked her into opening another room and getting some there. She agreed but was very rude about it. There was only one other couple staying at the hotel so it wasn't like she was busy, Since the restaurant was not open, I had to walk 10 min to Burger King to get coffee.
The room itself was large and had a nice ocean view and a big patio. The bed was hard as a rock and the pillows were equally as hard. The sheets felt like sand paper and were old and worn. The entire place has not been painted in 30 years. The base boards and floors were filthy. The bathroom was old and small with not a drop of hot water. The furniture was old (think cheap from the 1930's), the TV was so old it had no remote. There was no furniture on the patio, The girl at the front desk told us that half of the hotel was closed because it was so rundown. I don't think this place would pass inspection in the USA. It was also very noisy, could every car and all the loud music. I did not feel safe, the lock was flimsy and the place was not secure at all.
Thank goodness we only stayed there one night. We had been at a nice resort all week and thought it would be nice to stay in Montego Bay and eat at some local places, do some shopping, etc. WRONG! We left for the airport (10min away) 4 hours before our flight because the place was so awful. Truly the worst place I have ever seen.

• Liked — the view
  • Disliked — The filth
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
10 Thank laurac1964