“Only if you're desperate!”
Review of Crafts Market

and up
Kingston Highlights Tour from Montego Bay
Ranked #28 of 77 things to do in Montego Bay
Reviewed October 23, 2012

A very sad motley collection of "CRAFTS". Point taken that by buying something it would help feed the people.......but the experience of being there and the quality of the "CRAFTS", one would be better off giving the money to the church. Not a worthwhile excursion.

Reviewed May 7, 2012 via mobile

Took the $16 shopping excursion from our resort in Rose Hall.Thought it would be a good way to spend a few hours..WRONG.The shuttle dropped us off & said we had 45 mins.& to follow a lady into a pathway of buildings.She disappeared & BAM we were swarmed by people pulling us one way, putting jewelry on us, wanting to braid our hair etc..It's the way they make a living but needless to say as soon as the bus got turned around & we seen it we were all running back to to get on.Its just very unnerving!!! It's just as easy & you get the same things off the the kayaks that men sell early in the mornings on the beach.save your nerves!!

4  Thank Stephm1207
Reviewed April 10, 2012

We joined this hop-on-and-off tram thing on a recent cruise to the western Caribbean in Jan. Montego bay was the first stop of three and we decided to just get the tram thing, for 15 bucks. This was one of the stops and i sure wish i had just stayed on back to the boat. When we first stepped off the tram there was a local there who pushed (literally) us towards their and their friends shops. Normally i am a laid back person, but i was continually pushed,pulled, yelled at by the shops owners. I quickly left not wanting neither their attention or the things they sold. I would advise people to not shop there!

3  Thank missmegan
Reviewed March 16, 2012

We decided to go to the craft market to get some cheap sourvenirs. we took a tour bus from our hotel. the tour guide handed us off to a lady who had a booth there. Immediately, we were swarmed but all the ladies who had a booth asking us to come to their booth next. Each booth is a little hit that is poorly lit and can get warm. The ladies will fan you while you shop while they encourage you to pick up things to buy. It was pushy. They would stand in the entryway almost preventing you from leaving. They will bargain with you. I noticed a painting that I liked. Initially, I was told $30 but was quickly lowered to $20 without me saying anything except turning to leave.

These women are poor and this is the way they keep a roof over their heads. I felt bad about not buying things but I felt pushed and pulled by them. As soon as you stepped out of one booth another lady is practically you to her booth. They quickly separated us from each other. One older lady kept harrassing me to come to her booth. I finally went and did not purchase anything. All the booths sell virtually all the same stuff. Afterwards, she kept mumbling something and giving me the evil eye.

I thought this craft market would be similar to the straw market in Nassau. This was different given the aggressive sale techniques. It was hard to tell what was actually made on the island and what was imported from China. This place is not for the faint at heart. Granted I do not take much pleasure in shopping, but talking to other parties in my group who love to shop thought it was overwhelming as well.

3  Thank inthewind2010
Reviewed February 28, 2012

We hired a taxi who took us to 'his people' running a crowded, dark alley of enclosed huts the size of a large port-a-potty. Unfortunately, that is where most of the trinkets you find here belong, a port-a-potty. Very pushy, they coerced us to crowd in with them into these hot, dark, unlit shacks, forcing items upon us and guilting us into buying something. After 10 minutes of this, (we seemed to be the only tourists there), we were so rattled, we rushed with our driver back to the cruise terminal, where I gave him a handsome tip for not kidnapping or robbing us. Never go to this hell-hole of a 'shopping experience'...

3  Thank ron o