“A vivid demonstration of the love and appreciation of Jamaica's beautiful natural environment.”

Ahhh...Ras Natango Gallery and Garden
Ahhh Ras Natango Gallery and Garden Tour from Montego Bay
Ranked #7 of 74 things to do in Montego Bay
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Ahhh...RasNatango Gallery and Garden Tours is an Eco Tourism attraction in the community of Camrose in Montego Bay Jamaica. A perfect addition for your shore excursions as well as stop overs. Stroll our gardens at your leisure,experience a slice of our Ahhh...Mazing paradise A most spectacular view of the city below being 2000 feet above sea level. Our service is rated five star on Trip Advisor. Come experience Ahhh...as you exhale. Take pictures of the birds Enjoy a real Jamaican meal and shop in our gallery and gift shop. Original paintings of island life . All items in our gift shop are 100% made in Jamaica. Come listen to Tamika as she takes you on a journey of Jamaica's history, Rastafarian and family's will and determination to succeed.Meet Ras and their son Ayale, the staff, a valued part of the team makes your visit a most memorable one.Presently our complimentary shuttle is suspended however we have partnered with two reliable tour companies to transport guests to Ahhh..at a discounted transportation cost of US$25 per person round trip anywhere from within Montego Bay to and from Ahhh...
Reviewed April 2, 2014

On our first trip to Jamaica as a family - my first trip altogether - I asked the concierge at our hotel for a recommendation for an excursion outside the resort that our young sons (ages 4&6) would enjoy.

Whereever we travel with our sons, we always try to ensure that their experience is not one of being waited on pool side. I was also struck by the natural beauty of Jamaica itself, as well as the warm friendly nature of its people.

Anyway the concierge recommended Ras Natango's art gallery and gardens high up in the hills overlooking Montego Bay. I was keen as the resort had many of his paintings on display, but there was some reticence from our oldest.

That quickly slipped away during a tour of the garden with Ayale, Ras Natango's son. The gardens sit on steep hill side and are planted with an abundance of local plants. There birds flying about. The walk ended with a lesson by Ras Natango's charming wife Tamika on how to paint using flower petals. How cool is that? Tamika is a former school teacher and with very little coaxing soon had our sons fervently engaged in this art project, the results which they proudly showed off to thier class in New York.

The art project gave me some time to take in the stunning views (sip a cold Red Stripe) and have a chat with the staff and Ras Natango, who is deeply knowledgable about Jamaica. We talked about everything, from the topography of the land, to the economics of the Island.

Ras Natango abandoned a career in accounting to pursue his passion for painting, which quite accidentally turned into a family business in Eco-tourism, as a result of his second passion in gardening. Incidentally, a large part of the modest entrance fee and other revenue goes back into the community around the gallery. How great is that?

If you want a real slice of Jamaica, this family excursion is not to be missed. We'll be back for sure. Oh did I tell you that

nautre, Owner at Ahhh...Ras Natango Gallery and Garden, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2014

It was our pleasure having you and your family here at Ahhh....As an educator who is no longer in an official classroom, I enjoy the sessions with children, Both your sons enjoyed painting with the petals of flowers and I am pleased to know they took them home and shared with their classes at school. Thank you so much for your review! Its greatly appreciated. Thanks also for choosing to make Ahhh...a part of your family vacation. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Jamaica,
My regards to you and your family .
Tamika

Reviewed February 27, 2014

Hi,

My hotel helped me book a visit to Ras Natango Gallery but didn't tell me what I was in for. I was picked up by Ras and found out he had painted 400 some paintings at the Half Moon resort where I was staying. The route to his studio takes you through the neighborhoods up almost to the top of the mountain on a nice, newly paved road that Ms Tamika Williams, Ras' amazing wife had persuaded the government to build. I met Tamika and their artist son, Ayale. She made me a fresh glass of juice and a plate of fruit from their gardens and they told me the story of how they found the location and created the completely unique gardens from a rocky side of a mountain.
I asked why they only take appointments on the weekends and Ras told me while they are open, they like to have time to do other things if no one is coming. I felt a bit guilty being the only visitor that day but they were all so welcoming. They walked me through the garden led by the Tamika and her informative descriptions of all the flowers, plants and birds for an hour. I then spent time in the studio and shop admiring and buying some of the pieces they've made. I ended up spending 3+ hours with them and could have easily spent more time. In fact, they told me one of the problems they have are visitors do not want to leave. I completely understand why.
As everyone has noted, the gardens are beautiful, the view is gorgeous but it's the spirit, generosity and wisdom of the family that will stay with me.
This is an excellent place for anyone looking to get out of the tourist zones and experience a very personal, unique part of Jamaica. It was the best day of my trip and one of the most interesting days I've ever had on a vacation. I'll go back again anytime I'm in Montego Bay.

2  Thank Michael_Z_LGP
nautre, Owner at Ahhh...Ras Natango Gallery and Garden, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2014

Michael, Thank you for you for your prompt review. tomorrow will be a week since you visited . It was our pleasure having you last Sunday . We appreciate the business and your wonderful review. Most small businesses forget that going the extra mile determines their success. Even though we opened for you on a Sunday , it did not feel like work. we got a chance to sit and talk with you just as we would our family. Our regards to your wife , we hope to see her when next you visit. Ras, Ayale and I thank you on behalf of the entire Ahhh...team. Sincerely Tamika

Reviewed February 23, 2014

We had the pleasure and honour to visit this little piece of heaven on Feb.17th, 2014! This place and people who have created it as well as their staff are MAGICAL!!! Tamika and Ras are sooooo welcoming and REAL!!! We were picked up at our resort and transported up the mountain to Jamaican Heaven! You can feel the love as you enter the property and we could have stayed for days enjoying the PEACE and the AMAZING VIEW!!! We were served an amazing lunch prepared right on site and created with LOVE!!! "You Build It.....They WILL Come" It was so nice to learn the story and actually experience a dream that came true for Ras and Tamika and their son Ayale!! We will be returning that's for sure but in the mean time we will treasure our memories and the BEAUTIFUL art that we purchased!!! Tamika, we wish you success with the seeds we brought to you from Canada and look forward to your pictures on FB!!
Love and Light!!!
Janice and Scott

nautre, Owner at Ahhh...Ras Natango Gallery and Garden, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

It was our pleasure having you especially as we had been communicating before your visit. Thanks for the Canadian Flag magnet. It is displayed and represents Canada at Ahhh.. Thanks for the Flower seeds which will be a great addition to the garden at Ahhh... Thank you for your review. Ras has used your quote over and over when the way seemed rough. " We have built it...They WILL come. We look forward to seeing you and shall post progress of the garden and the plants and blooms from the seeds on FB. Stay warm. Sincerely, Tamika

Reviewed February 18, 2014

I went here on my arrival to Jamaica in hopes of meeting the local people and to get a feel for the real Jamaica. It surpassed my expectations Ahhh! Is exactly how you feel. This place has a spiritual uplifting like no other I have ever experienced in my life.... The view is absolutely breath taking! The gardens and Tamika are beyond compare. She has MANY talents which will fill your soul with joy! Ras is a cool guy with a vision beyond anyone I have ever met. The way he sees art in natural items takes you back to childhood days of looking at the clouds and finding shapes in each but he finds art in unusual items. A Very talented man. And alas their son is just as gifted. Do stay for dinner I was fortunate enough to join a father and daughter who were from Kingston made for a very enjoyable afternoon! Tamikas food was delicious...... You will not go wrong visiting with this family, the art, the gardens, the food is real Jamaica you leave with a feeling of having new Jamaican friends...... This was definitely a highlight of my trip....... Do go I almost guarantee it will be one of the most wonderful experiences in your life!

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
nautre, Owner at Ahhh...Ras Natango Gallery and Garden, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2014

Thank you for reviewing us on TripAdvisor, We really appreciate that you decided to visit Ahhh...a few hours after arriving in Jamaica. We are happy you got the opportunity to meet other Jamaicans who were visiting. Your review was read to the employees, Ras and Ayale. we are all grateful that you have taken time out to review us as other visitors get to read feedback from our reviewers on TripAdvisor. We hope to see you on your next visit, Sincerely,
Tamika

Reviewed January 20, 2014

Our family made our first visit to Jamaica earlier this month. With the weather forecast less than ideal, we began looking for some rain or shine options and stumbled upon Ahhh...Ras Natango. The description was appealing to my whole family as my wife loves gardens/gardening and my two children (ages 7 and 10) love art. The positive reviews we found on TripAdvisor in part helped us decide to spend an afternoon with Ras, Tamika, Ayale and their staff. Ras met us right on schedule at our resort and made the drive up to the Gallery and Garden an educational experience for all of us as he pointed out local markets, areas in development, areas in decline...Ras is so amiable that we all immediately found an easy report with him! We loved his stories, particularly those about Tamika lobbying for road improvements - and we were thankful for her success as it no doubt shaved many minutes off the drive! After a short introduction and a drink of juice we were off to the beautifully terraced garden which was stunning even in January when relatively few flowers were in bloom! The path through the garden was easily navigated even in the light rain. We were amazed to see the many hummingbirds darting about right in our midst and my daughter had one feed from a bottle of nectar held in her hand! The highlight for the kids was the art lesson with Tamika. They were amazed to find they could paint with nothing more than the petals of flowers - and what a pallet of colors the flowers do provide! Tamika was quick to praise their efforts and they left with their best souvenirs of our entire trip - a painting done with their own hands! As the kids enjoyed the art lesson my wife and I had a chance to take in the garden more completely and browse the gallery - where there was no sales pressure what-so-ever. There was no need for pressure because Ras, Tamika, Ayale and C'Ney are all incredibly talented artists! We left with a lasting keepsake of our visit and a snapshot of "real Jamaica." More than anything we felt privileged to have experience the warmth and hospitality of a strong family that genuinely is working to make their community a better place!

2  Thank JMZinMN
nautre, Owner at Ahhh...Ras Natango Gallery and Garden, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2014

I smile as I remember the children mesmerized painting with flower petals! We appreciate comments from all our guests but the best by far was when your daughter said when it was time to leave."i dont want to go"with such innocence. the rainbow painted with flowers by your son was a masterpiece.We really enjoyed meeting your family and look forward to seeing pictures of flower paintings as the children teach their friends and teachers this type of art. All of us at Ahhh... sends thanks and warm thoughts . Ahhh will soon be in full bloom.
Our sincere gratitude