“Great center with a caring, knowledgeable team”

Half Moon Equestrian Center
More attraction details
Owner description: Welcome to the best quality horseback riding experience in Montego Bay. We are located at the luxurious Half Moon Resort. You can enjoy a variety of equestrian activities: riding, jumping, polo lessons and the thrilling beach ride.At the Stables you will find loved and well trained horses. Our Guides and Instructors are friendly and experienced. There are activities for young chilren and adults alike, including our Pony Park where children can interact with different animals and have pony rides.
Chicago, Illinois
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great center with a caring, knowledgeable team”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2014

Our 2 boys had pony rides almost every day and I had a personal lesson. They are equipped both with horses and staff to handle the novice to the experienced, the young to the old, and the casual/tourist to the serious. We can't say enough about Trina and her team.

Visited May 2014

Kearny, New Jersey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Breathtaking ocean views”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014

Loved going along the beach on horseback. It is like a commercial with the clear ocean water cascading up to the horses hoofs

Visited April 2014
1 Thank John M
Chicago, Illinois
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“A Good Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014

I love riding and do so pretty regularly, so when I found out there was a place I could swim in the ocean with a horse I had to try it out - and I was not disappointed. If you are a decent swimmer and / or have some riding experience I would definitely recommend this activity. I thought Trina was very nice and the horses and tack were very well taken care of. My horse for the ride, Jonas, was a beautiful grey Thoroughbred with an adorably cranky attitude (I am pretty sure he is the horse named "Judas" that the reviewer below references). He was totally safe, but obviously used to hauling unseasoned tourists around and he was shocked and appalled that I was not going to let him do things his way! He was, however, a total gentleman once we got in the water. We went pretty far out and he just chugged along and let me hang all over him. I am a good swimmer and fairly spry and didn't have any trouble getting on / off and riding him through the waves - but fair warning the horses do get slippery when wet!

Visited April 2014
2 Thank iwilladviseyou
Toronto, ON
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Great Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2014

We saw the Equestrian Centre at Half Moon on a posting on Facebook and just had to check it out. The stable is extremely clean, the horses are in good shape and a lot of them have been rescued from the racetrack in Kingston.

We chose the beach excursion as we wanted to swim in the ocean with the horses, we had an issue with one of the guides' treatment with one of the horses and after speaking with the owner, Trina, we were informed that the guide had been let go. So nice to see that this isn't just a business to her but she truly cares for her animals, did I mention her dogs at the barn are also rescues? Amazing.

The only thing I can say that was a disappointment is the photos are a bit misleading. You do have to wear a helmet and there is no cantering and you have to wear a lifejacket in the water (I understand for insurance purposes but as a horse owner and experienced rider it wasn't quite what I had in my mind).

All in all a very nice time riding and again these horses aren't your typical vacation emaciated animals, they are well fed and cared for by Trina and her staff.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank PrudenceY
Hennepin, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A must to try”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014

Nice facilities. Well taken care of horses & tack. The barn owner, Trina, is not warm and fuzzy. The guides, however, are WONDERFUL! We had Sheldon and he was amazing! I ride often and have my own horses, but I ride small, stocky horses in Western saddles. The barn horses are HUGE Thoroughbreds that are ridden in English saddles. My horse, Judas, was grouchy the entire time. He pinned his ears constantly at other horses and people and did not listen. It was an amazing experience, but scary. The horses are all bunched up in the water. It's hard to hang on - until you get to hold onto the tail. It's difficult to get back up onto the horse and to hang on when the horse's coats are all slippery. I am not an accomplished bareback rider. I am use to having a western saddle and feeling secure. My arms and legs are still sore and it's 4 days later, LOL! I'm glad I did it, but if I went back, I would definitely ask for a different horse and take Trina with a grain of salt. The guides, the quality of the horses and tack, and that tail pull through the water made the experience worth while. I personally would've been more comfortable with a a more compliant horse and less congestion in the water.

Visited March 2014