“A must to try”

Half Moon Equestrian Center
More attraction details
Owner description: Welcome to the best quality horseback riding experience in Montego Bay. We are located at the luxurious Half Moon Resort. You can enjoy a variety of equestrian activities: riding, jumping, polo lessons and the thrilling beach ride.At the Stables you will find loved and well trained horses. Our Guides and Instructors are friendly and experienced. There are activities for young chilren and adults alike, including our Pony Park where children can interact with different animals and have pony rides.
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Nice facilities. Well taken care of horses & tack. The barn owner, Trina, is not warm and fuzzy. The guides, however, are WONDERFUL! We had Sheldon and he was amazing! I ride often and have my own horses, but I ride small, stocky horses in Western saddles. The barn horses are HUGE Thoroughbreds that are ridden in English saddles. My horse, Judas, was grouchy the entire time. He pinned his ears constantly at other horses and people and did not listen. It was an amazing experience, but scary. The horses are all bunched up in the water. It's hard to hang on - until you get to hold onto the tail. It's difficult to get back up onto the horse and to hang on when the horse's coats are all slippery. I am not an accomplished bareback rider. I am use to having a western saddle and feeling secure. My arms and legs are still sore and it's 4 days later, LOL! I'm glad I did it, but if I went back, I would definitely ask for a different horse and take Trina with a grain of salt. The guides, the quality of the horses and tack, and that tail pull through the water made the experience worth while. I personally would've been more comfortable with a a more compliant horse and less congestion in the water.

1  Thank Paintfancy

Reviewed February 24, 2014

My daughter is an accomplished rider. Her dream was to swim a horse in the ocean.And she fulfilled her dream. But do not ask to go out too deep unless you are an excellent swimmer or a thrill seeker. I was hit in the face by waves and found staying on bareback in deep water to be difficult even with a life vest. Sheldon, our guide was a superstar. He went to great lengths to capture the photos of our adventure for us. Sheldon did make sure that I was safe. Ride in the surf and on shore unless you are very adventuresome and experienced.

5  Thank goodneighbor7
Reviewed February 13, 2014

When I saw that you could swim with horses I had to go for it as I can't imagine there are many places in the world where you can do that. The staff were great and very reassuring as none of us were experienced riders. When we got to the beach we went bareback and wore life jackets and were given clear instructions as to what to do when the horses started swimming (you're always on a leading rein) - including sliding off the horse's back and hanging on to its tail if you wanted! (Easier than it sounds.)
A great experience :)

Reviewed February 2, 2014

This beach horse ride is definitely not suitable for novice or nervous riders. You are given a very short introduction and walk around the field before setting off for the beach. Here you are expected to ride the horse bareback in the ocean where it is extremely difficult to stay on as the horse's coat becomes very slippery. The horse I was given was skittish and difficult to handle, I was told he did not like crowds or lots of movement. Something I thought was strange seeing as he was being used for excursions. In the end this horse threw me off when we were approaching the stables as neither myself nor the trainer guiding me could keep him under control. Luckily I was not badly injured but it could of been much worse. Please check the disclaimer they ask you to sign quickly at the start, before signing......it absolves them of ANY responsibility even if their horse is at fault!! Definitely I would proceed with caution.......

10  Thank Purrdee
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Incredible memories with my two 13 year old granddaughters, one is a very experienced rider, beautiful sights, wonderful guides and riding in the water was the highlight of our vacation. Thank you to all, and a very thanks to your fantastic young photographer.