“Excellent Experience”

Half Moon Equestrian Center
More attraction details
Owner description: Welcome to the best quality horseback riding experience in Montego Bay. We are located at the luxurious Half Moon Resort. You can enjoy a variety of equestrian activities: riding, jumping, polo lessons and the thrilling beach ride.At the Stables you will find loved and well trained horses. Our Guides and Instructors are friendly and experienced. There are activities for young chilren and adults alike, including our Pony Park where children can interact with different animals and have pony rides.
Reviewed September 30, 2013

After reading many reviews on TripAdvisor, I decided to book the beach ride at Half Moon. I must say that Trina made scheduling an appointment very easy. I arrived to see many horses on the grounds. All horses looking very healthy and strong. My guide was Dwayne. I recommend asking for Dwayne as he made my experience perfect. We started off by riding about three laps around the horse stable. We then made our way down a stretch of roadway (within the half moon compound) and down to the beach. We viewed the dolphins within the resort and then made our way beach front. Once on the beach, we dismounted the horses and got into our swimming gear. Dwayne took the saddles off and gave instructions on how to manage the horse while in the water. We then made our way into the ocean and as we were riding in, we saw a family of stingray just swimming in the ocean. Once the horse starts swimming they start to breathe differently and you can really tell they are enjoying themselves. I recommend this excursion to any and everyone interested in trying something different. I also would like to add that Jermaine made sure my wife and daughter enjoyed themselves while I went out on the ride. My daughter enjoyed a pony ride, the petting zoo and ultimately had a great time. The staff is great!

5  Thank RAIII
in 6 reviews
"mark"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed September 27, 2013

The kids program is great. My daughter enjoyed both riding the pony and the petting zoo. The trainer/guide was excellent.

2  Thank 5cookies
Reviewed September 3, 2013

although we did -- instruction is good but how much can you get out of a couple of lessons with someone that doesn't know you or how you ride? Do go for swimming with horses!!!! Don't miss it! You don't need to know how to ride (or even like horses for that matter) It's an amazing, once-in-a-lifetime experience. Can't wait to do it again!!!!

3  Thank Snoeberry
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I was so impressed with the equestrian center at the Half Moon Bay. I grew up with horses, so usually stray away from these types of activities. However, the horses were well-cared for and the water experience was something unlike I ever imagined! The guides were fantastic and you could tell they really cared about the animals. This was an amazing experience that I wouldn't pass up! I saw similar activities at other places during my stay, and the stables at Half Moon Bay were much nicer and it seemed like a more personal experience.

1  Thank hilary_griffin
See more reviews
Reviewed August 31, 2013

I apologize for the delayed review...we rode at Half Moon Equestrian Cenre in February this year and I kept meaning to write a TripAdvisor Review. Better late than never ! Although the resort I stayed at in Montego Bay send their guests to another riding facility (probably because this facility is located on a competing resort in the area), as a horse lover, I researched it online and discovered these stables looked the most professional. I've ridden horses on the beach and in the water many times in Turks And Caicos, Mexico, Dominican Republic and Hawaii. But NEVER had I swam with the horse like they show on the YouTube video on their website (lying straight our on their back then sliding back to hold their tails as they swam)! THIS was something I needed to try!!!
The stable manager Trina is great and very professional, and the head guide, Sheldon was fantastic ! The horses were nice looking, mine was a beautiful flea-bitten grey named Jonas ! The rides are done in the morning. There were quite a few guides on the ride: one for every 2-3 guests. We rode around in the arena for a few minutes to get accustomed to our horses while our individual guides chatted with us and we talked about our horses, ourselves, the ride, etc. We headed out through this big resort, down the quiet private roads, to the nearby beach. There was only a short distance on the beach until we all dismounted, the horses were unsaddled, and we got ready to go in the water with them ! The water was very wavy and it was pretty exciting and a little nerve wracking beforehand, but once we got in the water and it got deep enough for the horses to swim, it was a real buzz ! We (my boyfriend who's a beginner, my sister in-law who's somewhat experienced, and me: a rider) had smiles on our faces the whole time !!!! They take 2 groups in at a time, so after your turn, you wait while the other group swims, then the horses are re-saddled, we mount, and head back to the stables. Aside from the awesome swim, there's not too much riding...no cantering on the beach if that's what you are looking for. BUT, if you haven't tried this kind of swim, it's worth it ! I even went back a second time that week and hung out with the horses a little beforehand !
Extras: all the riders wore helmets, and when going in the water wore water safety belts. At the stables there is a little kids farm/zoo at the back with donkeys, goats, rabbits and birds ! There is a local artist who hand carves the horses from wood, so of course I bought the Jonas carving as a keepsake ! A little more unique and personal than a t-shirt I think !
:-)