“A Must-Do in Montego Bay”

Half Moon Equestrian Center
More attraction details
Owner description: Welcome to the best quality horseback riding experience in Montego Bay. We are located at the luxurious Half Moon Resort. You can enjoy a variety of equestrian activities: riding, jumping, polo lessons and the thrilling beach ride.At the Stables you will find loved and well trained horses. Our Guides and Instructors are friendly and experienced. There are activities for young chilren and adults alike, including our Pony Park where children can interact with different animals and have pony rides.
Newport Beach, California
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“A Must-Do in Montego Bay”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I was so impressed with the equestrian center at the Half Moon Bay. I grew up with horses, so usually stray away from these types of activities. However, the horses were well-cared for and the water experience was something unlike I ever imagined! The guides were fantastic and you could tell they really cared about the animals. This was an amazing experience that I wouldn't pass up! I saw similar activities at other places during my stay, and the stables at Half Moon Bay were much nicer and it seemed like a more personal experience.

1 Thank hilary_griffin

Providenciales
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Swimming With Horses: What Fun !!!”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

I apologize for the delayed review...we rode at Half Moon Equestrian Cenre in February this year and I kept meaning to write a TripAdvisor Review. Better late than never ! Although the resort I stayed at in Montego Bay send their guests to another riding facility (probably because this facility is located on a competing resort in the area), as a horse lover, I researched it online and discovered these stables looked the most professional. I've ridden horses on the beach and in the water many times in Turks And Caicos, Mexico, Dominican Republic and Hawaii. But NEVER had I swam with the horse like they show on the YouTube video on their website (lying straight our on their back then sliding back to hold their tails as they swam)! THIS was something I needed to try!!!
The stable manager Trina is great and very professional, and the head guide, Sheldon was fantastic ! The horses were nice looking, mine was a beautiful flea-bitten grey named Jonas ! The rides are done in the morning. There were quite a few guides on the ride: one for every 2-3 guests. We rode around in the arena for a few minutes to get accustomed to our horses while our individual guides chatted with us and we talked about our horses, ourselves, the ride, etc. We headed out through this big resort, down the quiet private roads, to the nearby beach. There was only a short distance on the beach until we all dismounted, the horses were unsaddled, and we got ready to go in the water with them ! The water was very wavy and it was pretty exciting and a little nerve wracking beforehand, but once we got in the water and it got deep enough for the horses to swim, it was a real buzz ! We (my boyfriend who's a beginner, my sister in-law who's somewhat experienced, and me: a rider) had smiles on our faces the whole time !!!! They take 2 groups in at a time, so after your turn, you wait while the other group swims, then the horses are re-saddled, we mount, and head back to the stables. Aside from the awesome swim, there's not too much riding...no cantering on the beach if that's what you are looking for. BUT, if you haven't tried this kind of swim, it's worth it ! I even went back a second time that week and hung out with the horses a little beforehand !
Extras: all the riders wore helmets, and when going in the water wore water safety belts. At the stables there is a little kids farm/zoo at the back with donkeys, goats, rabbits and birds ! There is a local artist who hand carves the horses from wood, so of course I bought the Jonas carving as a keepsake ! A little more unique and personal than a t-shirt I think !
:-)

Visited February 2013
London
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“An amazing experience”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

All four of us rode down to the beach with the guys who work at the equestrian centre. You then dismount, take the saddles off the horses, get into your swim wear and then get back on and ride into the sea. Once the horses start to swim you float on their backs and then slide off and they pull you along by their tails. You can hear the horses breathing and you really do feel 'at one' with them. A truly remarkable experience. It is also made memorable because the boys from the stables were such fun.

Boston, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“A classy addition to a classy resort”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

The Beach ride, where you get to swim with the horses in the ocean, was among our trip highlights. The guides are great, and our son really enjoyed the dogs and cats who hang out at the stables.

1 Thank klorenc
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Beach ride - Great experience”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

My daughter had a great experience riding the horses on the grounds of the Equestrian Centre, the resort, the beach on 10 August. The most exhilarating part of the experience was swimming with the horse. It went deep enough that the horse was able to swim. The guides were very knowledgeable and helpful. I was able to walk behind the riders and take photographs. The guides were also happy to take photographs in the water, my daughter had a waterproof camera. There was complimentary transportation service from and to the Iberostar Rose Hall Beach hotel.