“Horrible Wine & Food”

Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Ranked #10 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed December 3, 2010

Just returned from Secrets Wild Orchid. It's a beautiful place and clean for the most part. The staff was exceptional except for one bellman who started stalking me (literally)!

This was my first experience with an "all inclusive". I was disappointed in the level house wine. It was terrible and the food was mediocre at best.

Nice relaxing stay but if you expect Great Food & Wine....it's not the place. You can purchase wine instead of drinking the house stuff but it is ridiculously overpriced!

Also, the 24 hr room service is a Very limited menu. So limited that you might want to just skip it.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank twhsparky
Econcierge_Assistant, E-Concierge Administrative Assistant at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2010

A warm and pleasant greeting from Secrets Resorts & Spas Montego Bay, Jamaica.

We are very sorry that we did not exceed your expectations during your stay with us. Please be aware that we have seen your comments and it has been brought to the attention of all the respective department heads.

Again, we do value your comments very much and hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Ashleigh – Feel free to contact me at: econcierge1.sesmb@secretsresorts.com

Write a ReviewReviews (7,142)

Reviewed December 3, 2010

Our stay at Wild Orchid for 5 nights from Nov 26 - Dec 1 couldn't have been better. My wife and I simply cannot understand any bad reviews.. We are very easy going mid 20's and even if we tried to find negatives we couldn't. We stayed at the Iberostar Grand in April on our honeymoon and paid twice as much and walked away from this vacation to Secrets saying we definitely had more fun this time around! We read all of the reviews before we left and I agree the beach in certain spots is a little rocky ( all you need to do is move 20 feet and get to a spot where the beach is perfect..), we also saw that the shower leaks onto the bathroom floor particularly if you are using the removable showerhead as well as the rain shower at the same time ( Just put a towel down by the corner of the shower and door that leads to the toilet..) the problem is fixed! The grounds are perfectly kept, rooms very clean, bed extremely comfortable, and AC works perfectly if you remember to turn it on. I believe the maid after they clean turns the air off when they leave- so keep that in mind and go back up to the room and turn the AC on. Jerk Chicken cart is an absolute must- you will never taste better grilled chicken of any kind. As soon as you hear the guy yelling "jerkie jerkie jerkie" a long line is ready to form because of how delicious his chicken is. Drinks are very good - you even have access to JW black label and Grey Goose vodka even if you do not do preferred. For dinner we ate twice at bordeaux, twice at portofino, and once at the hibachi. All meals were very good and we normally ordered 2 entrees each on separate plates just incase we liked one more than the other or if we were particularly hungry. Wait staff works very hard and appreciates any tips you give them- you simply do not get that kind of attention and service in the US unless you are at a high end restaurant. Nightlife is very good and was a lot of fun around the piano bar. House red and white wine tasted fine to us, we even saw some of the Italian and Spanish guests enjoying it. The house red tasted similar to a $7-$10 bottle of merlot here in the US. Not the absolute best but certainly drinkable and enjoyable I repeat- DO NOT LISTEN TO BAD REVIEWS.. YOU WILL NOT BE DISSAPOINTED!

4  Thank Bmore21

A warm and pleasant greeting from Secrets Resorts & Spas Montego Bay, Jamaica.

Thank you for sharing your experience with others through Trip Advisor. It is extremely important for us to offer one-of-a-kind experiences. We have taken your comments into consideration in order to continue to delight our future guests. We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you on a future vacation to our beautiful Secrets Wild Orchid!

Reviewed December 2, 2010

I went to Secrets to celebrate my birthday, and my emancipation. I wanted to do it first class (I don't travel often, so I wanted to see what a new establishment had to offer), I
didn't want to be surrounded by lots of children, I wanted to be able to relax if I chose, or party if I wanted...it was my 50th birthday and I wanted to be able to do it all for once, with options!!! My first observation was...Secrets is a couples resort...and I felt a little out of place when I first got there, seeing all the couples...and then I stepped off the shuttle, and there this beautiful place was! Okay...I'm not gonna talk you to death...but the place was beautiful! The staff was beautiful! The food was great! My room was to die for---the big king sized pillow bed...OMG! My birthday was the best birthday ever...I was treated like a queen from sun-up till sun-down...even being serenaded by Billy Love (a very good singer, who sang "Happy Birthday" to me. Chris Brown was the man...he made sure everything was great for me, and so was Stacey, a young lady who worked the front dest...she was one of the many nice members of the staff who assisted me while I was there. The staff bent over backward to make sure that I enjoyed by stay, even suggested which tours to take for relaxation and fun. And that little thing about me being a little uneasy because Secrets was a couples resort...well I got over it...I met another single traveler (a seasoned traveler) and she and I had the time of our lives! We became very good friends, and is now my travel partner. I've been back to Jamaica 2 more times since I stayed at Secrets and I always compare my stays at other resorts with it, and Secrets, by far, tops them all. I look forward to celebrating my 51st birthday at Secrets!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank mdmoyer

A warm and pleasant greeting from Secrets Resorts & Spas Montego Bay, Jamaica.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience through trip advisor and for selecting our hotel. We have a great team in place and we are working hard day in and day out to exceed our client’s expectations. We really appreciate your time and your comments and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed December 2, 2010

I am not sure what all the bad reviews are about! This place was amazing, absolutely beautiful and the staff was extremely friendly. From the moment we arrived, the cold towel, the champagne, the friendly staff etc, it was all great. We did not have one single problem with check-in, our room was ready right away. Even though they say 3:00 is check in time, I think we checked in at about 1:30 with no issues. Some of the bad reviews, like the airplanes flying in the distance, the food not being any good, etc., I mean really?? You can barely hear the planes, the food was amazing (the italian place was fantastic) and the jerk chicken cart that came by every day for lunch was great! The drinks were all great, definately try the Bob Marley drink, very tasty. The beach was a little rocky but nothing to be too worried about. Room service was always there within 30 minutes. I unfortunately had to be seen by the nurse because I tripped on one of the ledges in the walkway and she came to the room within 10 minutes and was very friendly. The room in one word was "phenominal", the bed was extremely comfortable and the rain showerhead in the shower was great too. I don't think there is a bad view of the ocean in any room. Andre in the piano bar played about any song that you could think of. If you are fortunate enough to be there when the Silver Birds Steel Pan Orchestra is playing, it is highly recommended that you see them, the are absolutely amazing and full of energy. I could go on and on about how great this resort is but I think I will end it for now. Thanks to all the staff for a great expierence and we can't wait to come back to this amazing resort and see everyone again!

1  Thank mandsfrazer

A warm and pleasant greeting from Secrets Resorts & Spas Montego Bay, Jamaica.

Thank you for your post on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your wonderful comments of Secrets Wild Orchid and are delighted that we have exceeded your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you and your clients back soon.

Reviewed November 30, 2010

We stayed at Secrets Wild Orchid from Nov 20 to Nov 27, 2010. The resort is very beautiful, only about 7 months old - "the baby of Montego Bay".

Rooms - The rooms were clean and the beds were very comfortable. The room is "open concept" with the bathroom and bedroom being separated with a see through curtain. All rooms at the hotel have an ocean view. The alarm clock in our room didnt work. For whatever reason, we could not update the time to the correct time. We asked twice to have it fixed. The second time, someone came, however it was still not correct. Sort of annoying, but not really a big deal. Other reviewers mentioned that they had some theft problems, but we did not have any issues at all. The housekeeper we had was very thorough and did a wonderful job.

Food - The food was good. (I am a very picky eater, so for me to say this is a really good thing) My favourite restaurant would have to be the Italian restaurant. The breakfast/lunch buffets were really good - a lot of choice and variety. If i could change one thing it would be to have the option to have a buffet for dinner. Although it's nice to go to the restaurants, it was very time consuming and to have the option to have the buffet would be nice.

Location - The resort is located about 20 minutes from the airport. There were airplanes frequently flying by the resort, but they were not loud or annoying. The resort is also close to the port. When cruise ships come in, they can be seen from the resort - very nice!! There is some construction going on across the street from the resort, but no construction noise was ever heard. We asked what was being built - apparently it is a private build, so he wasnt really sure what was going in there.

Beach - The beach was not very big, but we never had a hard time finding a beach chair. The beach was man made and is very rocky in a lot of spots. If you have water shoes - be sure to wear them.

Pool - The pools were big and not busy at all. My complaint about the pools is that, although they are side by side, they are separated by a cement wall. Not sure why they just wouldn't make it one big pool. Sort of annoying that in order to get to the pool bar, you had to get out. Again, not a big deal, but a little annoying.

Resort credits - My biggest complaint about the hotel would be the resort credits. When we received our tickets for the hotel, we were informed by the travel company that we would get $200 USD resort credit. In my opinion, the resort credits were worthless and a waste. When we checked in, the credits were not available, so we were told to come back the next day to get them. The coupons clearly state that they can be used towards room upgrades upon check in. When we inquired about using them to upgrade our room, we were told that they can't be used towards upgrades. When we pointed out that the coupon clearly states otherwise, we were told because we didnt use them at check-in, we couldnt use them towards an upgrade - (the credits werent given to us until the next day). We were told that the room credits could only be used as follows:
- towards spa services - $40 per treatment (I believe) and were not allowed to be used on 30 minute treatments
- towards bottle of wine purchases - maximum $10 per bottle (Not being a big wine drinker - you could have all the house wine you wanted with dinner, so why would I buy a bottle of wine??)
- or towards $60 off a romantic dinner on the beach - The dinner on the beach costs $350. In my opinion, way over priced when I have already paid for an all inclusive resort.

In order to fully use the resort coupons, one would have to spend a lot of money - on top of the money they already spent to get to the resort. We didn't end up using the credits at all. In my opinion, the resort credits were nothing but a scam.

Entertainment - Compared to some of the other resorts I have stayed at, the nightly entertainment is not as good. It almost seemed non-existent. The week we stayed they had a steel drum band (very good!!), a Jamaican musical (ok) and a guest talent show (only three contestants).

Overall, we had a great time, very relaxing. The resort was beautiful. Once some of the landscaping matures, it will only be more beautiful!! Overall we really didnt have any issues with the resort and I would recommend this resort to anyone.

1  Thank Tina330

A warm and pleasant greeting from Secrets Resorts & Spas Montego Bay, Jamaica.

On behalf of the senior management team we do thank you for the comments made; this is much appreciated and will certainly help us in our development in moving forward...

We do hope that our Resort is in your plans for your future vacations and look forward to bidding you a very warm and heartfelt “Welcome Home” on your next visit.

Many thanks for you’re taking the time to leave your comments.

Reviewed November 30, 2010

I have been to Jamaica many times before and normally stayed in the Rosehall area. We had been to Secrets Silversands months ago and thought we would try the property in Jamaica.

Pros: Great location, beautiful beaches, very secluded, easy to get to from the airport, great rooms and beds, great hydo circuit in the spa, bar staff were excellent, and overall staff at the resort were friendly and efficient. The shopping area was nice and the added coffee shop was great for a quick pick me up.

Cons: The food is terrible!!! Breakfast was the only meal of the day that was edible. The food was so bad that we ventured off the property three nights to eat a good meal. We were expecting the type of food quality that we received at Secrets Silversands and were very disappointed. Service can be rather slow from all aspects - bar, food, etc. If something is wrong with your room it will take a while before anyone shows up. We continuously had trouble with our room keys. While the spa is very nice and has a great hydo circuit - the staff is not very friendly or accomodating. The only busness center available is near the shops and you must pay .50 per minute to use the computers. The entertainment was very limited and there was virtually no daytime activities.

Overall - the location was great but I would not go back to this particular resort because of the quality of the food.

1  Thank dwe9517
Econcierge_Assistant, E-Concierge Administrative Assistant at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2010

A warm and pleasant greeting from Secrets Resorts & Spas Montego Bay, Jamaica.

Many thanks for you’re taking the time to leave your comments.

Reviewed November 30, 2010

We stayed at Secrets Wild Orchid from Nov. 22- 28 for our honeymoon. I have been to other all inclusives in Mexico etxc. before. This was our first time with Secrets Resorts and our first time to Jamaica, and we will for sure be back. It was the best honeymoon experience you could ask for. Our room was awesome! The beds were so comfy, and the bath tub was so nice. The only problems we had in our room was the musty smell, and the shower flooding a bit. Our view was amazing and the balcony was a pretty nice size.

The whole facility was amazing. The food was awesome at every restuarant we ate at, especially loving the variety on the Breakfast Buffet at World Cafe'.
--- We ate at Portifino, Hitmatsu, and Le Patio...all of which were awesome and heard nothing but great things about the other ones we didn't get a chance to eat at.
----The room service food was also good, however; I kind of wish there was a bigger selection.

The pools and beach were so nice. The grounds of the resort were beautiful. The employees, from maintnence, to the entertainment team, servers, and management were genuinley the nicest most accomodating people!

We will be back some day for sure!!!!!!