“A great place for lounging around!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Ranked #11 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
LaSalle, Ontario
“A great place for lounging around!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2010

My husband, brother, sister-in-law and I visited from November 13-20. There was a problem a check-in (they had our reservation, but the rooms were not quite ready....when we came back at 3:00 pm...they had given our rooms away.) They wanted to send us over to St. James, but finally found 2 rooms at Wild Orchid.

The resort is lovely and all of the staff (with the exception of a few) were helpful, friendly, and provided great service.

Housekeeping did a good job, but their schedule to clean the rooms varied. One night, our room was cleaned while we were out at dinner....turn down service came twice while we were already in bed.

We enjoyed all of the restaurants, and breakfast room service was a great treat. We had a bottle of champagne with our breakfast too. Eating outdoors in the evening was wonderful. The weather was perfect each night, and the setting was very romantic.

The outdoor entertainment was good....it may have been nice to have a small band playing outdoors on the nights when the indoor entertainment was going on.

The beach was beautiful and provided a relaxing day. There did not seem to be enough waitress on beach service. On day one, the waitress only stopped by once. We moved to a different location the next day, and it was better.

Please be aware of any wet spots on the tile flooring. I fell and injured my knee on the 2 second day there. Nadine saw me limping, brought me ice, and sent over someone to complete a report.

All in all, we had a great vacation. We would return if the price was right!

Don't sweat the small stuff and you too will have a relaxing vacation.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Econcierge_Assistant, E-Concierge Administrative Assistant at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay, responded to this review, November 25, 2010

A warm and pleasant greeting from Secrets Resorts & Spas Montego Bay, Jamaica.

Thank you for the positive review. We are pleased you had a most enjoyable stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Ashleigh – Feel free to contact me at: econcierge1.sesmb@secretsresorts.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,289)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
Warrington, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2010

This was our 8th time to Jamaica and we have been to both Sandals and Couples in the past so we have experienced the all inclusive. We also had other couples join us on the trip and we were nervous after reading earlier postings. It appears they read the comments and have worked hard to make improvements. The check in was wonderful, we stayed at the preferred club and it was worth the extra money. The beach was also very nice, great views and there were always chairs and towels available. There was a private lounge with premium drinks; good drink service at the beach, nice rooms with daily maid and turndown service and no one ever knocked if we had the privacy light on. The breakfast buffet had a lot of selections and offerings not generally at other all inclusive. Lunch had variety, buffet or sit down and dinner offered several sit down choices and we ate at a different one each evening. Food and service were good, people were very nice. I found the bar service better than other resorts and again the staff is great. Tipping is accepted and motorized water sports are not included but do bring you own snorkel gear because there are many great spots to go right from the beach. The staff would help you in any way you asked and we had a great time, just relax and have fun. It was a great value and everyone in our group said they would be happy to return and we did not have any problems. The spa was also very nice facility. Their were no bugs and the A/C worked well.

Pine Mountain, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2010

My husband and I booked this resort for our anniversay. We bought the Aniversary package and chose the Preferred Club Master Suite. I must say the Resort is Drop Dead Gorogeous! It is the Service, Food and other amanties that leave much to be desired. On arrival, we had a 1 1/2 hour wait for our room. We asked about our Butler and was told there was none. We had called 1-800-GoSecrets to confirm that 3 days prior and was told there was a butler.

We were shown to our room by Jeffery who is wonderful! The room was about 8oo square feet and was beautiful. An end unit with a balcony that overlooked the ocean. It had a huge jacuzzi on the deck. { We later found out after filling it for 2 1/2 hours that it did not work. Maintenance was called and came 24 hours later. Not fixed. It was fixed 4 days later with the help of my husband. 7 days later you could not make it turn off.} We immediatedly noticed we had no champayne, no rose petals in the room, no fruit. The flower arrangement was a 6-8 inch pot of flowers. A day later we recieved a note with fruit saying this was to go with the champayne. No champayne and the fruit was 2 smaill red apples!

On our 4th day there, we had no coffee in our room so I went to the PC lounge with my coffee pot to ask for coffee. I was told there was none. They were out. At that point, I had had enough. My husband and I dressed and went to the Concierge with our concerns. We were sent to management in the main reception area. We discussed the concerns including no turndown service, no daily newspapres in addtion to the ones previously listed. They were apologetic. I told them I would write the concerns and turn them in to management. We also told them we could not even get a banana daquirie because they were out of bananas. About an hour later, a bottle of champayne and fresh fruit was palced in our room box. We would not have known this but Housekeeping told us as we returned to our room. They had also sent Banana Daquiries. We later discovered a large and beautiful arrangement of flowers had been placed in our bedroom. They appeared somewhat wilted. It suddenly cicked that we had viewed a wedding the day before of a couple we had met and the flowers were re -cycled from that wedding. With a little water, I kept those flowers going for the rest of the trip.

We decided it was ruining our trip to keep complaing. We emailed our travel agent with all the concerns and turned most things over to him.

Please note if you have shuttle transportation from JTU you may get a shuttle with no air and the ceiling falling out. You will not be met by WO staff at the airport. You have to go over to a corner to find out about shuttle service. On arrival you will also note everyone has a hand out for a tip, bellman, beach waiters and waitresses, bartenders and restaurant wait staff. It needs to be a LARGE tip or you will get ignored. Housekeeping was the only group who did not expect service. Remeber this was an ALL INCLUSIVE.

A couple of other notes, take you own floats and snorkel equipment. They sell $.99 Dollar General floats in the gift shop for $12. They last about 2 days. Snorkel equipment is not plentiful thru the water sports dept. Now ...there is a real process to endure to get a Kayak or a Hobie. You cannot take a Hobie out without 1 of the staff going with you.

Entertainment consisted of a high school group of kids playing steel drums, a violinist and betting on crab races. There was a band and singers for the Showtime Theater that were decent.

Food was bad except for breakfast which was very good. It is a buffet but good. Make yourself and egg and bacon sandwich for lunch. The only other good thing for lunch are the mussels or the jerk chicken that is served off a cart every day from the Pimento Jerk wagon. Lloyd is the very best cook. Do not eat the pizza, the BLT, mexican food etc. It is nothing like you are used to. Go to dinner between 6-6:30 and there is very little wait. Do understand that St. James has no restaurants...only Wild Orchid ...so all guests from both resorts are eating at WO. The best restaurant is French. The beef dish is best. The Puff Pastry shrimp had 3 shrimp and the pastry is so over cooked, a chain saw will not cut it. The Hibachi, the only restaurant that will take reservations is decent. Ask for Marlin to cook for you. But plan to tip him big. We never got in the Portofino due to 1-2 hours waits. The dinner buffet is food like beef stew, Mac and cheese, jerk chicken in a stew etc. Fair. We finally chose to go off property to eat. We were recommended to Pier 1 where we got wonderful lobster for $30 dollars. HUGE! That is another thing Secrets advertises is LOBSTER DINNER for an additional price. We asked about ordering. They were OUT. Said it was out of season. But we could get it at The Houseboat Restaurant, Pier 1 and The Pelican Grill. Odd isn't it.

The Spa can be good. It is about a quarter of a mile from the PC rooms. Things to know...plan to be there 1 hour early to go thru the Water Circuit. They will not tell you that. It is worth it. You need someone to direct you tru the circuit. Sometimes you have a staff member, sometimes not. The best Therapist for Maassage is Joyce. She is the best I have had in 30 years. The reception staff are rude and the use of the vouchers is a joke. You save nothing on the property with the vouchers because the spa, the wine etc is overpriced. If you love wine, the house wine is worse than a bad Chiannti!

The PC Lounge is a good amenity but does not have top shelf liquors like Crown Royal or Canadian Club. There is no liquor in the room. You get 3 miniature bottles of rum to the room daily with banana chips and M and M's. Otherwise, Red Stripe, water, soft drinks and 2 packs of coffee if they are not out of coffee. They have small hor deurves, fake sushi, salmon...watch for it to turn black during the day. The main bartender in there is just plain rude. Since you do not get a daily newspaper fro USA Today, there will be 2 in the lounge for you to read.
It appeared to us that guests that were non preferred club actually got better treatment. The bars are no where close to the so called private pool for PC. If you were a PC guest, you were identified by an orange towel on the beach. If you were non preferred, you had a brown towel. Duh...do not take the brown towel to that pool...just pick up an orange one. If you want Jamaican music at the pool, you will be disappointed, they play ZEN like spa music at the beach and pool. The HUGE hot tub is wonderful. The non preferred guest pool have Jamaican music, games, food, entertainment and close to water sports.

I think I have given you most of the problematic areas we encountered. We will not return. I do realize this is a new property from about March 2010 but the kinks should be adjusted by now. The impression I get is that you have paid your money and any thing encountered may or MAY NOT be handled. We have always gone to Sandals over the last 7 years and thought this would be a change. It was and have learned a very valuable lesson. Fortunately for my husband and myself we were able to make a good time for ourselves on the beach, snorkeling and resting enjoying each other. It is a shame to plan a year for a GREAT vacation and just have a good vacation. It would have been nice to celebrate our 41st anniversary with the Anniversary package present on arrival but we made our own Anniversary package!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank bugnurse_10
Econcierge_Assistant, E-Concierge Administrative Assistant at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay, responded to this review, December 1, 2010
Hello,

A warm and pleasant greeting from Secrets Resorts & Spas Montego Bay, Jamaica.

We appreciate you have taken the time to write such a detailed overview about us. I behalf of Secrets Resorts & Spas General Management and Staff we regret any inefficiencies and inadequacies you experienced during your recent stay here.

We are glad to know that despite the incidents you have enjoyed your stay and recommend our resort. We take our guests comments seriously as feedback in our commitment to improve our service levels.

We learn from situations like this and take our guest’s comments as feedback, always looking for possibilities to improve and make sure your next visit will exceed your expectations.

Shropshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2010

This was a 3 week holiday and our 1st in an All Inclusive. Everything was perfect and the staff were second to none. The hotel couldn't do enough for us including an excellent ground floor room facing the ocean. The food was excellent and we tried all restaurants a number of times. The entertainment was brilliant even if repeated over the 3 week period. We were given a complimentary late check out as our flight was in the evening which gave us virtually an extra day. The staff everywhere were brilliant. We did consider upgrading to the Preferred Club but found it unnecessary as we had everything we needed and more.

1 Thank JimboShropshire

A warm and pleasant greeting from Secrets Resorts & Spas Montego Bay, Jamaica.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience through trip advisor and for selecting our hotel. We have a great team in place and we are working hard day in and day out to exceed our client’s expectations. It is extremely important for us to offer those one-of-a-kind experiences. We really appreciate your time and your comments and we look forward to your return.

Southfield, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2010

I just returned on Nov 20, 2010 we stayed five days at this Resort.
basically the Resort is beautiful and clean the landscaping is pretty the view from the beach is awesome the rooms are great and modern the downside was the food it was okay the jamaician resturant and the italian resturant was the best they didn't change the menus you had the same choice of food all week at all the resturants the deserts were horrible but the drinks were good the service was great overall I would go back

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Econcierge_Assistant, E-Concierge Administrative Assistant at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay, responded to this review, November 22, 2010
Good day,

Warm and pleasant greetings from Secrets Resorts & Spas Montego Bay, Jamaica.

Thank you for your post on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your wonderful comments of Secrets Wild Orchid and are delighted that we have exceeded your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you and your clients back soon.

Econcierge Assistant
DEPTFORD NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2010

First this hotel is a beautiful, new hotel its in its infancy stage. However Myself, husband and friends visited this hotel and found it very nice. How do I put this without being negative. The hotel still needs work in some areas. As with everything some workers are excellent and some need work on skills. I will comment on a area that needs no assistance. While there I experienced an illness. I became dizzy by the pool and thought I might be able to get back to the room, however I was not able I passed out and required medical assistance. My husband stated that they responded so quick and transported me for medical attention as to prevent further problems.

The accommadations are beautiful, restaurants, pools, upkeeping and very clean. Different menus in the restaruants, not large selections in each, but each restaurant different theme. They have a small casino with slots,pool table and large screen tv outdoors. Mountains in the backdrop make a beautiful scene to overlook your dining experience.

Just remember your vacation is what you make of it not what others do.

Good day,

Warm and pleasant greetings from Secrets Resorts & Spas Montego Bay, Jamaica.

Thank you for sharing your experience with others through Trip Advisor. It is extremely important for us to offer one-of-a-kind experiences. We have taken your comments into consideration in order to continue to delight our future guests. We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you on a future vacation to our beautiful Secrets Wild Orchid!

I'm also glad to hear that our Staff to excellent care of you, and glad you are doing better!

Econcierge Assistant
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2010

Although the resort is very beautiful, we felt like we were nickled and dimed to death. The wine for purchase was way overpriced ($108) as was the romantic dinner for 2 on the beach (we were quoted $350). Snorkeling by boat was $35/per person each trip. We have been to Jamaica 3 times before and each time was at a Couples Resort and can snorkel by boat for free. The employees at Couples are so much more relaxed and attentive as they are properly staffed. It was obvious by the way our wait staff was hurrying during meal service and the exhausted looks of the bellmen of Secrets that they are way understaffed! There were a few employees that stood out to us and we would like to thank them for helping to make our time with them so much more pleasant. That being said, we will not be returning to Secrets anytime soon. But will definitely return to our home away from home again. Grateful Jamericans. Janet and Joe

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Hello,

On behalf of the senior management team I would like to express sincere apologies for the many inefficiencies you experienced during your recent stay here.

As our ultimate goal is to always meet and exceed our guests expectations, please be assured that we take your comments very seriously. As such, I have ensured that our Food & Beverage Director has been given a copy of your post so that the necessary corrective measures can be put in place.

We are a customer service driven industry, and we have in place various training courses that continues to address each area that has guest contact as its core function. Our training programs for front desk are very aggressive and comprehensive, and we work to maintain and deliver the Unlimited Luxury that is synonymous with our brand.

We do thank you for the positive comments made; this is much appreciated and will certainly help us in our development moving forward. With this in mind we hope, you will give our Resort an opportunity to serve you again and experience the Secrets Montego Bay team at our improved best.

Many thanks for taking the time to leave your comments.

E-Concierge Assistant,
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,934 reviews
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites
Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa

Been to Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay? Share your experiences!