“Excellent time - people very friendly”

Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Ranked #10 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Palm Harbor
“Excellent time - people very friendly”
Reviewed October 24, 2010

We stayed at SWO for our honeymoon from Oct 12 - 17th 2010. Stayed in a Preferred Club Jr suite room 1321.

Room - Very nice, bed was extremely comfortable, refrigerator never got truly cold but it was kept in a cabinet with no ventilation so if you leave the cabinet door open it helped. The view from the balcony was fabulous. Great sunsets. The soaking tub large enough for two. The bathroom was nice but not as private as a closed door. The door to the shower and toilet were frosted. This did not bother us at all but if there was anybody besides us in the room then I would want more privacy. We had to keep asking housekeeping for more shampoo, soap and shaving cream because they did not replenish every day. When they did bring some it was put in the room service cabinet - where the dirty dishes go - so we did not find it for two days - when we ordered room service and saw everything we had been asking for in there. The guy who stocked the mini bar went and got us some soap one day. The Jacuzzi tub in the bathroom was great - try putting some shampoo or shower gel in it and turning the jets on. We did, had bubbles everywhere and couldn't stop laughing. I brought a citronella candle because I heard about the mosquitoes. We didn't need to use the candle until the last night as we never saw any mosquitoes around and we were on the balcony a lot.

Food - I was not impressed with any of the food in the restaurants except the breakfast buffet in the World Cafe and the apps at the preferred club. The waiters would ask us if we wanted coffee or tea, we asked for hot tea and always got coffee so why ask? My husband thought the food in the restaurants was all good. Room service was awful except for the steak which was good. I didn't notice it taking any longer then usual. One late night room service brought us the wrong order but we were so hungry we ate it instead of calling and sending back. An hour later they called and said they got our order wrong. Our correct order was outside the door and would I open the door and let the room service guy in. I told him I didn't want it anymore. The preferred club always had different foods and sweets during the day and night which I thought was very good - so I stopped there every time I came and went from the room.
Drinks - both the red and white house wines were terrible. It was hard to get a beer that was truly cold and every time we wanted water no one would have any so we had to go back to the room to get some. The champagne in the preferred club was good and tasted a lot better than what they served in the bars and restaurants although they said it was the same. All the mixed drinks were great especially at the Barracuda bar. Harry or Joel made me a Dirty Banana the first day I was there and I was hooked on them the rest of the week. My husband would ask them to just make him anything and they would always concoct something new every time. He finally got his "WOW" factor drink when Michael made him something the last night we were there and now I can't remember what it was. Minibar in the room was well stocked with whatever we wanted - the minibar restocking dude asked what our preferences were the first day we were there and took care of us everyday after that.
Service - All excellent. Everyone was so friendly everywhere we went. See Joel at the Barracuda bar - he was the best and took very good care of us the whole time we were there. The other workers at the Barracuda bar were exceptional also - Harry - shot time!!, Michael, Orville and Lecretia - smile & show your dimples. We tried the other bars at the resort but liked the bartenders from the Barracuda best so we stayed there for the duration. The waiter in the preferred club was also very good and I apologize for forgetting his name. He took care of us also.
Leaving the resort - It is very expensive to go anywhere off resort property. It is advisable to get an escort and you will be paying a lot for it. We got very lucky and found Alton who was our own personal taxi driver and took us up in the jungle and showed us around all the places off the beaten track. He was very knowledgeable about all the local things we saw and was able to answer my husbands 3 million questions with NO PROBLEM. He was a great tour guide and took us back to the airport for a tearful send off. Thank-you Alton you are the best. Respect! Alton works for Maxi tours so call and ask for him.
The life guard, Michael, showed and told us about the protected marine park that was attached to or next to the resort. We did some snorkeling over there and saw lots of really cool stuff - thanks for the tips Michael.
Nightlife was so-so but we were so tired by the end of the day and there were never any seats so we didn't stay long.
Overall we had an excellent time and would highly recommend SWO. I do not think it was a 6 star resort but we didn't pay a 6 star price either. I felt like we got our money's worth and then some.

1 Thank PalmHarborLovely
Econcierge_Assistant, E-Concierge Administrative Assistant at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay, responded to this review, October 26, 2010
Good day,

Warm and pleasant greetings from Secrets Resorts & Spas Montego Bay, Jamaica.

On behalf of the senior management team we do thank you for the positive comments made; this is much appreciated and will certainly help us in our development moving forward..

We do hope that our Resort is in your plans for your future vacations and look forward to bidding you a very warm and heartfelt “Welcome Home”on your next visit.

Many thanks for your taking the time to leave your comments.

All the best,

Econcierge Assistant
Ashleigh – Feel free to contact me at: econcierge1.sesmb@secretsresorts.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,411)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
Hutto
Reviewed October 23, 2010

Let me preface this with . . . I am not an expert traveler and am pretty easy to please.

We went to SWO for our 1 year anniversary and my sister/BIL's 10year wedding anniversary. We are fans of Mexico, but because of all the drug cartel business in the news recently, we decided to go else where. It was between Jamaica and Punta Cana and Jamaica was cheaper .. . we shouldn't have been such tight wads, lol. Here are my thoughts on our vacay:

- Arrival:
Flying into MoBay airport and getting through customs was a BREEZE! We booked our trip through CheapCaribbean.com and our transfer company was right inside the airport. It took no time to check in with them (Jamaica Tours Ltd) and we were off to board our transport van . . . with the assistance of the NAGGING bag boys (the ones that take your luggage from the airport to the van). We tried to tell them over and over that we could manage our luggage but they insisted "we were on vacation now". Once to our van, THEY HELD THEIR HAND OUT FOR A TIP!!!! We didnt ask for their help!!! We gave them $5 USD, the guy still held his hand out for more!!!! Our chauffer was AWESOME (with JTL) . . .we had our own mini-tour to our hotel - explaining some of the history, pointing out areas of interest, etc.

Our arrival to the hotel was ok-ish. The bellmen were scurrying around like ants to a mound. They quickly moved us into the front desk area where we were greated with a glass of champagne and a cool towl (which was very much needed!). Our agent that was checking us in was ok. From our Mexico hotels, after check-in, they would show us around the hotel (the pool, entertainment areas, bars, restaraunts, etc). Not here . . . the front desk clerks are glued to the chairs. I never once saw them get up the entire trip.

After checking in, our bellman took us to the room. He oriented us to the room. My sister/BIL's room was not ready upon arrival (03:30pm), so we had to unload all of their stuff in our room (because the bellman did not have a key to the room supposedly). After we ate lunch, their room was ready, as promised.

Rooms:
I miss our bed from our SWO room! It was like HEAVEN!! The showers could have been bigger, but still, were plenty accomodating. The vanity area was nice. The soaking tub was great in that it filled up quickly and depending on the your mood was either good or bad - it was tucked behind a wall so you couldnt see the TV, but you could see the beach. I guess it just depends on what view you wanted.
I know many complained about the "sensors" in the room bc the rooms wouldnt stay cold and yes they are there. Our first EVENING, we were burning up because it wouldnt cool past 23C. We were told the lowest it would cool to was 19C. We asked for maintainence to come look at the AC unit . . .within 20 min, they were there and fixing it. The rest of our stay, our room stayed bw 17-18C :) EXCEPT when housekeeping came bc they would turn the AC completely off. My best advice is, periodically throughout the day, check your room after housekeeping has been there to turn it back on.

Service:
This was our biggest complaint by far.
Roomservice - ALWAYS turn on your privacy light and, when you order, specify that you want your food delivered to your privacy box. It worked everytime. I usually left a couple bucks in the box for a tip.
Bar service - We learned that the actual pool bar (in the water) has the best service aside from the lobby one. All the outside restaurants use the the poolside (out of the water) bar to make drinks, so, servers come first. It takes FOREVER to get a drink from there. If you do, just order one to be put in the hurricane glasses . . .you wont be making as frequent trips :)
Restaurant service - Just dont plan on getting anywhere fast! Only one restaurant requires reservations (see more later), but you wait 15-30 if you go prime time 8-9. We found this very irritating. When we were in Mexico- the waiters were always waiting on you hand and foot!!! They always grabbed the chair for the ladies, always placed the napkin in our laps, refolded the napkins when we left the table, and NEVER let my glass run empty! It would take 10 min to get a coke, you had to ask for a refill, and then, it took another 10 min.
Housekeeping: The first two days, we never saw anyone. Rumor was, it was a national holiday one of the days . . . I personally dont care! I have to work national holidays, so should they . . . it's my vacation, lol! I did have to call one day for toilet paper as we were running low. I miss the 24hr "toilet paper fairies" from Mexico. These fairies always seemed to know when we left the room and always folded the toilet paper, plus, kept our room constantly tidy.

- Restaurants:
Many complained about the food as we spoke with other guests throughout the hotel. We found it wonderful but inconsistant. The guys got REALLY upset one night about the dress code because they were required to wear long pants to dinner, but a girl could come into the restaurant in teeeeeeeny tiney hotpant shorts (a sneeze would have revealed her lady bits) and a shirt that that hung off one shoulder with her bra hanging out and striperella stillettos. REALLY???
- Himitsu - they tapanyaki rest. It has a choice of table or grill service . . . the menu is WAAAAAAAAAAAY better at the table than the grill. Dont waste your time sweating to death at the grill (there is no a/c in there). The guys liked this bc they didnt have to wear pants here, ha! Their sushi wasnt half bad (a california roll and a veggie roll) but I wouldnt crave it. This rest is not on my "you have to try list".
- Bordeaux - YUMMMMMMY! My husband was nervous bc he "doesnt like French food" . . . he practically licked the plate! This was our second fav restaurant.
- Portofino - Our favorite. Many compared it to Olive Garden . . . I could see that - but it was still great. Everything we tried was WONDERFUL!! Well, the terimisu was lacking, but other than that, I'm craving some right now :)

Those three were as far as we made it for dinner - we went to Himitsu twice (table and grill service), Bordeaux twice (bc the first night, we had waaaaay too much rum at the swim up bar and nothing was appetizing) and Portofino once. The menu for Oceana looked great.
- Seaside grill - had WONDERFUL tritip steak for lunch!
- World cafe - it was a buffet - breakfast was ok (I'm not a breakfast fan) and lunch, was the same, ok. Once we discovered seaside grill, we never went back for lunch buffet.
- Roomservice - the club was great . . . pass on the nachos unless you are REALLY drunk - its just chips and watered down nacho cheese.

-Entertainment:
- Nightly entertainment was fun - we went to a casino night (where we one a bottle of rum thanks to picking the winning crab at the crab races,lol). Other than that - we seemed to be ready for bed after dinner, ha!
- The poolside entertainment was lacking. This is bc they alternate from SSJ and SWO. I think they need a group for both sides.
- Snorkling - good luck with that! We tried multiple times to go. The last time we gave up - we showed up at 03:30pm and they said we could rent any bc they closed at 04pm. In Mexico - we could check it out to our room for 24hrs at a time. We found this very frustrating!
- Spa - OMG! Peter was AAAAAAAAAAMMMMMAAAAAAAAAAAAZING! By far the best massage I have EVER had! I'm still trying to figure just how expensive it would be to fly him to the states!

So, below listed, it asks, would I recommend this hotel to a friend - eh, not sure! Probably not, lol!

5 Thank kgain
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed October 23, 2010

We were in Wild Orchid from Oct 12-20th. We were traveling with another couple and have been traveling together for 13 years.
I will be an honest as I can about the resort as I would expect the same from others on T.A.
Prior to our arrival I had communicated our information that we were preferred members and had provided our preferred numbers.
On arrival, we come to find out after about 15 minutes of waiting to be helped that we were not placed in the preferred building even though we were members. Needless to say we were upset as I had confirmations in e-mails. We were then given flowers and still told sorry....no rooms available but if some become available they would let us know, well that never happened AND the flowers were already flowers that are placed in all rooms, what an insult!
We checked into our room, and I will say the rooms are exactly as pictured on their website, very spacious and very clean, the air conditioner can be a challenge but it did work. The ceiling fan in the room made a horrible loud noise and we did call about that, but it was never fixed.
On the first evening, my friend fell in the area of the shops, there is a step down into the courtyard which is not marked (very dangerous), she badly sprained her ankle and we had to call the nurse and doctor, she was given mediaction and the nurse wrapped her ankle, her husband went to get a wheelchair at which time he was charged a $250 deposit and told the chair would cost $25 a day!!!! This is just unacceptable!!!!! The hotel would not cover the charges and accept any responsibility, clearly this area is not well lit and the step-down is not marked. My friend had to use the wheelchair our entire 8 days!!!! The bill costs them over $500 for the doctor and chair, again nobody called our friends about her accident, a staff person came the first night and then no other communication. This put a damper on our vacation, but we tried to make the best of it.
FOOD:
The food was good in most restaurants and we do like that you do not have to make reservations.
DRINKS:
The drinks were good but at times they ran out of certain top shelf alcohol, at least that is what they said. The house wines are not good, need to find a better one.
Overall, the resort itself is nice but there are still many service issues that need to be addressed. Our expectations were not met and the check-in left a negative feeling among us. They told us they were full and we then talked to people int he preferred building who said they were not full at all, it never appearred crowded to us. We have stayed in Secrets and Dreams before and they accomodated their guests much better than the W.O. I guess what is really missing here are those personal touches that other Secrets and Dreams go out of their way to make you feel at home! I cannot recommend this hotel until they improve on some of these issues.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
4 Thank kalane1999
dinolad
Reviewed October 23, 2010

My partner and I stayed in the Wild Orchid part of Secrets Montego Bay from 2nd October > 21st October 2010, we are a British gay couple and were very pleased by the accepting nature of the hotel staff and management. The hotel is mainly frequented by American couples, but there were some large loud rowdy groups of guests who were treating it as a bit of a wild holiday, which did become annoying, we weren’t expecting this from a ‘luxury’ resort.

Overall Hotel:

Generally the hotel is modern and clean, in the areas where is becoming slightly worn they are already doing remedy work to restore this and we would commend them for doing so. The hotel is very big, much bigger than we expected, there are four blocks which are split between St James and Wild Orchid, each hotel has a main block and a preferred block, everything is well sign posted and guests are free to roam around.

Rooms:

We stayed on the ground floor in room 2141, Morden and funky with a great sea view, although sometimes the noise from the communal Jacuzzi outside our room being used at 2am by drunken guests can sometimes wake you up, the hotel should stop this being used after midnight. Our only other gripe about the room was that the maid service was very irregular; sometimes the room would be cleaned at 11am other times at 7pm... on our second from last day it wasn’t cleaned at all. Some small points, the ‘do not disturb’ light doesn’t always work; make sure you hang the door handle sign out if you don’t wish to be interrupted. Also as some other people here have mentioned, don’t rely on the clock in the room, power cuts during the night mean this doesn’t keep the correct time. In each room there is a coffee filter machine but no kettle, you are only given one sachet of coffee a day, for a five star resort you should have several and also tea bags. Also the hotel doesn’t get a coffee delivery on a Sunday, so on a Saturday they give you two sachets, one for Saturday and one for Sunday, don’t make the mistake and of drinking them both on one day you won’t get anymore. We were lucky that the coffee shop was nearby so we just went there to get some more each day, it’s quicker than ordering room service, but for people staying in St James, this wouldn’t be possible as too far just to nip out.

Hotel Communal Areas:

We liked the main reception and other communal areas; however we preferred the St James reception and bar, just felt more friendly and contemporary.

Pool:

We only used the Wild Orchid pool. It was always kept clean and the surrounding areas were well maintained, the only issues we had were with the sun beds, why in a five star hotel are there not cushions? The sun beds look lovely but are not very comfortable, people end up getting multiple towels to cushion themselves. In the ‘preferred block’ of St James they have them; this should be the same across the entire hotel. The pool waitress service was also hit and miss, sometimes we would get asked if we wanted a drink 5 times in one hour, and another day we would wait 4 hours before being asked. We know the management read these reviews and therefore would commend Sade and Nadine for their friendly nature and 5 star service when they were on duty. Another small issue is the relentless reggae music being played around the pool all day every day. We know we are in Jamaica but please get some more CD’s and play a mixture of music, when you stay for 2 weeks it simply becomes annoying and too much.

Beach:

The Wild Orchid part of the beach is poor, the sand and sea is very rocky and we believe has suffered from some storm damage. The hotel team were working on this while we were there, but it seemed that they were just taking small steps to make it acceptable, what they need to do is order several tones of new powder white sand and layer it on top instead of trying to pick the stones out and moving the sand around. Having said this the ST James and both preferred beaches are lovely and what you would expect.

Restaurants:

We have no complaints about the food at all. Yes the menus are smaller than you would expect from a regular restaurant, but we ate well every day and enjoyed it thoroughly. Guys please take notice, for dinner several of the restaurants have dress codes, you need to wear long trousers / pants, and shirts with collars and sleeves. For the other restaurants three quarter lengths shorts are acceptable, but ‘short’ shorts and T shirts are not allowed anywhere for dinner. On the Menu’s one thing to bear in mind is that not every meal comes as described on the menu, we found that in a couple of the restaurants that you would get the same veg whatever you ordered (in Bordeaux the French restaurant you get mash with everything, and in Hitimsu the Asian restaurant they don’t have the yellow curry sauce for the rice and so it all comes with soya sauce.) This wasn’t a big issue, but again you wouldn’t expect it from a 5 star. The Breakfast and Lunch buffets were fantastic, and if anything we think there should be an evening restaurant that serves a buffet, as you don’t always want to get dressed up for a three course meal. One other thing which we are sure was a one off, is that we found a staple in one of the bread rolls, potentially life threatening if it hadn’t been discovered before swallowing.

Room Service:

Just awful, the menu is limited and the food arrives cold. Every time we called we were told there was a 45min wait (with a different excuse each time.) When ordering tea or coffee, state exactly what you want, (milk, what type of tea, etc.. etc..) if you don’t then you will get whatever they have to hand, fruit tea instead of English breakfast etc...

Bars:

Excellent service and a good choice of beverages. The piano bar sing along in the evenings is fun and worth staying up till 11pm for. In the Wild Orchid lobby bar, there is an electric piano that plays itself, but unfortunately whoever programmed it couldn’t play in the first place. To the management... just turn it off, it’s awful, no one wants to hear ‘Twinkle twinkle little star,’ or ‘How much is that doggy in the window.’ Why don’t you get the guy who plays in the piano bar to re-program it?

Shops:

The hotel trades in USD$ so there is no need to take Jamaican currency with you. There is a small shopping village within the hotel, but as you would expect it’s very expensive. We are both smokers and found the price of cigarettes to be over the top $10 for 20, more than we would pay back at home in the UK. Also a small bag of crisps / potato chips is $4 again a ridiculous price. We were led to believe there is a library within the hotel were guests can leave and exchange their books, but we couldn’t find it and no one seemed to know when we asked the staff. Also I was ill while I was at the hotel and wanted to see the doctor, but it’s very expensive, $30 with a consultation with the nurse and $180 to see an actual doctor, plus the price of your medication on top. I felt like I was being ripped off.

Weather:

In two weeks we have 3 days of rain (1 at the start and 2 at the end.) We have some cloudy periods but generally it was very hot and sunny.

In Summary, we enjoyed our time very much so, but probably wouldn’t go back. The hotel is not 5 star, but more like a good 4 star, they just miss the finishing touches and personal service to get the fifth star. We think we were lucky to have good weather for the majority of our stay which made it much nicer, however if it had rained the whole time I think we would have found more to complain about. Secrets have a huge hotel here, and I think it’s simply too big to get five star service, they should be happy with being a great 4 star.

3 Thank dinolad
Kent, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 22, 2010

Our visit was from October 5th - 19th.

Secrets Wild Orchid is conveniently located 20 mins drive from MO Bay Airport which after a nine and a half a hour flight, is a godsend. We arrived after a comfortable flight with Virgin and a short transfer to the resort, care of Prestige Tours and looked forward to checking in.

My wife and I were directed to the lobby where two members of staff were checking in some earlier arrivals, there was however no greeting with the cold towels, champagne and cookies which were promised and as we waited two ladies arrived and were given the full treatment, it was only when I asked that the service was then offered minus the cookies. When one of the earlier couples had left the front desk, Devon one of the staff at the front desk went over to the ladies and invited them to come over to check in, I called over to him mentioning that we were waiting, he informed me that he would deal with us after the ladies, when i responded that we were waiting before them he abruptly told us that we had better come over then and sit down. I t was at this point that we were told that there had been a hurricane and that a number of rooms had been damaged, necessitating us to be checked into to St James instead of WO, I was not happy and made it known to him, and he told me that the ST James was a better resort and that if we did not like it he would try and get us moved back. After being awake for 17 hours already I was not in the mood to argue and agreed to the proposition.

When we got to the room (3502) it seemed fine initially, but after a welcome shower and change of clothes we discovered that the shower leaked into the main bathroom and the floors throughout thesuite was filthy, there was a bare wire hanging from the tv and the aircon and safe were not working. After calling front desk the safe was remedied within 20 mins but the aircon was not attended to. We dined at the Tappanyaki in the Himitsu restaurant and enjoyed a very tast meal. The next morning we went to the World cafe for a buffet breakfast which was reasonable and very good omelettes and then back to the front desk where I met a very nice young lady called Tamika who informed us that we should not have been treated in this manner especially as we had previously found out that part of the reason for the lack of rooms was that there was a convention present hence the lack of rooms, and she arranged for a room for us in WO (2528) which we were very happy with and she also stated that Secrets would arrange for some from of compensation. From the room point of view the rest of the holiday went off without a hitch except for a loose toilet seat and water leaking from the same which was repaired after 10 days.
The room was very tastefully decorated, a bed that was extremely comfortable and a brilliant view of the pool and the sea, unfortunately due to cloud cover, most evenings we were unable to see the sunset. Corrine, our housemaid was most amenable and would have our room serviced every morning at around 10am, which was ideal for us as we liked to come back to the room at around 3pm for a nap prior to getting ready for the evening. The turndown service however was very haphazard and the maid coming round as early as 5:30pm on more than one occasion. I think the resort should supply more staff for this service so that all the rooms can be serviced at a reasonable time in the evening instead of late afternoon. Another point which was lacking was towel art, we had a heart and flowers which was placed on the bed one evening but that was it, it is something we have come to expect at resorts in the Caribbean and was surprised that the service is not readily available at WO. Likewise the fridge was only filled on an AdHoc basis and we were without juices at one point for three days and water on one.

The pools were cleaned every day though the same could not be said pool surrounds with mussel shells and chicken bones being left for a number of days. The sun beds were always available as were the towels and the staff very friendly. A big thank you to Nadine who was very attentive and always smiling and thank you to K??? one of the bar staff at the poolside bar for her Special K cocktail. Lunchtime mussels at the Oceana were a must along with the Jerk Chicken off the cart ("Jerky Jerky" the vendor shouted out). The beach itself was very pleasant but large parts of it showed bad signs of erosion from water run off after heavy rain with sandbags and rocks being clearly visible which was a shame

The restaurants were all very good, though some of the meals should have been warmer, we especially enjoyed the meals in the Italian French and Japanese restauarants though the wine (red or white) that was offered was at times unpalatable so we stuck to the Champagne from Argentina? I must mention a number of restaurant staff, a massive thank you to Neil, the manager in the Bordeaux who made our last night memorable, thank you for the Pinot Grigio. Also a big thank you to the staff in the Himitsu, especially the (Trainee!) Manager, Richard and two very attentive staff, Damian and Nikisha for whom nothing was too much trouble., also a big thank you from the Teppanyaki side, to Nasheville and Marlin the singing Teppanyaki chef.

The bars were a bit hit and miss with premium liquors available depending where you were. In the piano bar Johnnie Walker and Dewars whisky was avaialble along with Courvousier Brandy, Tangueray and Bombay Sapphire Gin, Jamesons Whisky was available at the coffee bar and Napolean Brandy, Dewars Whisky, Mist Canadian Whiskey and Bombay Sapphire Gin in the Wild Orchid standard resort bar. Philip the barman there was IMHO the best barman on the resort "RESPEC".

Going back to the issues we had originally, as Tamika was unavailable to process the compensation, Lisa who I believe is an assistant manager was very helpful and offered some choices which we looked at, however she fell ill and the front desk manager Salavadore from Mexico, took over and when he found out we were on the trip to celebrate my wife's 50th he arranged for a personalised birthday cake and a bottle of wine, which was happily accepted, a sunset cruise was also arranged by means of compensation on a Catamaran around MO Bay which was very enjoyable as was an extention to our stay on the last day till 4pm when we had to leave, so i would like to thank them both for resolving our initial issues.

Overall the resort I feel is ideally placed but still has some teething problems which need ironing out. The quality of workmenship in the construction is not top rate with rusting and stains already appearing in the rooms. The service in some areas is poor, this is not necessarily down to the staff but down to a lack of training and forethought from the owners, ie turndown service.
99% of the staff are anxious to please and this really is noticed and I am sure in a year this resort will improve no end, but at the moment all the little problems can build up to cause a less than ideal holiday.

Kent
Reviewed October 22, 2010

I can honestly say that out of all my holidays in the last 10 years this was the best hotel I have ever been too. Clean, tidy and great rooms - we were very impressed. The staff were fantastic - friendly, helpful and always willing to sort things out. Yes, the odd thing did go wrong like the mini bar not being stocked for a day (shock horror) but when you rang reception they came straight up to sort it out. The room service menu was basic, but plenty of choice for a few nights in. The room service team were great - always a clean, sparkling room when you arrived back after a day by the pool. The beach was OK - pretty much man made, but fine if you want to lie in the sun all day. The hotel was fantastic with jerk chicken being wheeled round at lunchtime so you didn't have to move from the pool or beach. Cocktails were fantastic and generous pourings of spirits from decent brands. Entertainment was perfect - spot on - not too much or too loud. Not a honeymoon resort as we felt it was lacking a certain "romance" and probably more for a couple who wanted a nice break not lots of fluffy romantic stuff. The restaurants were mixed - the French one we visited 3 times and each time it was superb. The Jamaican restaurant seemed to change standard based on the chef who was doing the food. The gym was modern with basic equipment and never full which was perfect. We went diving which was great and also did the horse riding and Dunn's River Falls which were all perfect holiday trips. We had a few stormy moments when we were out there (rain wise!) and they were slow at clearing up the water but to be honest, we simply stepped over the puddles and viewed it as being part of the holiday experience. I would go back again but NOT with Thomas Cook after a 36 hour journey home and no support from them at all. Shocking service from TC but great hotel and holiday.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ClaraBelleKent
Good day,

Warm and pleasant greetings from Secrets Resorts & Spas Montego Bay, Jamaica.

Many thanks for your taking the time to leave your comments.

All the best,

Econcierge Assistant
Ashleigh – Feel free to contact me at: econcierge1.sesmb@secretsresorts.com
swindon
Reviewed October 22, 2010

arrived on the 4th oct rooms were ready but hiccup at check in we had 2 rooms with 2 double beds in each all booked under 1 name had a bit of a problem trying to get the 2nd room we landed up 2 on the first floor 2 on the 4 floor but was offered the chance to swap in a few days but decided not to we both had great views so stayed put .
we ate at all the resturants my least favourite was the mexican nothing wrong with the food just wasent to my taste my favourite was between the jamaican and the french both fantastic the buffet at breakfast and lunch was out of this world we were lucky to have orlando sing to us on our last day my only complaint was put on loads of weight due to the amount of food we ate just to good not to eat . I would agree they do need some ac as it does get really hot if you eat inside. the pool area was lovely plenty of towels i would say the beds by the pool could do with some cushoions on them we had to have at least 3 towels for comfort the staff bringing the drinks were lovely so was the drinks we had drinks in thre lobby bar every night joy and phillip are brilliant phillip makes the best chocolate tinnis. our room was cleaned everyday by the lovely donna i know some people had issues with cleaning but we never . we ordered room service a couple of times always turned up on time nice and hot would say the rom service menu could do with a little bit more variety .we loved the beach it does have some problems due to the recent storm but we never had a problem just have be a bit carful getting into the sea. we never saw much of the entertainment saw the steel band they were amazing . overall we had a fantastic time will definetly be going back also quick mention to nic barnes from beaches4less who we booked with he is great very helpful would recommend his company and last but not least owen our bell boy at the hotel he is fantastic always got a smile on his face will do anything for you he truly is a credit to the hotel i would recommend this hotel to anyone to all going enjoy

• Stayed October 2010
Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
#19 of 63 in Montego Bay
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa

Been to Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay? Share your experiences!