“Fun, Sun, Relaxation and Good times”

Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Ranked #10 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
nyc
“Fun, Sun, Relaxation and Good times”
Reviewed October 8, 2010

I Just returned from being at SWO for 6 days. We got there Friday and it was still a little rainy and dark. Saturday the weather started to clear up and by Sunday the weather was absolutely perfect. The room was really nice, clean and spacious. We had no issues with the air conditioner or bugs (maybe saw 2 mosquitos). I didn't love the bathroom set up by that's just my opinion. A couple of nights, the French and Italian restaurant were closed for private functions. This was not listed on the sundial in the mornings so we didn't know until we tried to go eat there. We also learned that if you want to eat at the Hibachi table you MUST make a reservation (I found the food was much better when ordering off the menu) however, the entertainment was a lot of fun (Thanks to the chef). The waitress' by the pool were friendly and accomodating. I also thought the pool entertainment was great, they really did a good job of trying to get everyone involved. The views of the mountains are so beautiful! The beach was really pretty too, despite what people say - I think it was just fine.. Of course, parts of it were slightly damaged from the weather but - you definitely saw the staff maintaining the area daily. A lot of the trip is what you make of it.... you can sit and complain about a rock near the beach or you can swim in the gorgeous ocean and bake in the sun :) Basically, because of all the mixed reviews I almost cancelled my trip and I'm glad I didn't. My main goal on this trip was to relax and have a great time w/ my honey and that's exactly what I got! This place is def more of a couples spot.. I didn't see any single groups at all.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,315)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2010

This hotel is great. Lovely location right on the beach, great rooms with nice facitities, great bars with all you could ask for. The staff are great, very friendly and always smiling.
Yes you have seen teh reviews that the food could be better, and yes it could, but you get what you pay for. The buffet was good at breakfast and lunch, and the restaurants could range from OK, to good, but not amazing, although the setting was fine.

My tip for things that could be better. Get some better house wine. Cheap Argentina wine is not good. It would be the one one thing that makes me consider returning. Doesn't have to be amazing, but the stuff available was poor. The cheap fizz was drinkable, but both red and white were serious hangover material. The cheapest bottles to buy were around $35 a bottle, and although not expensive, over ten nights it all adds up.

Would I recommend the hotel, yes I would. 20 minutes transfer from airport, the place is lovely and I never witnessed any of the horror stories I had heard of. My one big tip is, Jamaica in September is wet, and when I say wet I mean it poured and poured down. This would of been ok for a day or two, and maybe even for the afternoon, but for five days we could not use th ebeach or pool, and no matter how good the liquid sunshine activities were, I suggest picking a different month. But that is nothing to do with the hotel, so treat yourself to a lovely hotel and enjoy. Its difficult not to do so.

St. Joseph, MO
Reviewed October 7, 2010

We stayed at SWO Sept 23-30. We took our adult kids with us so there were 5 of us in 3 different rooms.
I will start with the positives beautiful location. Views are wonderful. The beach does have some issues but was still great. Pool area great and lively they do have some problems with playing the same music over and over but overall was terrific.
We arrived about 3 check in was quick and easy. We were told they were still serving lunch and went to grab some at the Oceana grill. Husband ordered jerk chicken, 3 of us ordered hamburgers and 1 BLT. Waitress came back and said they were out of jerk chicken and only had 1 hamburger WHAT? I should have realized then that this was going to be how the week would go. I don’t think I have ever heard the word no or were out of that more then I did from secrets staff.
Housekeeping was non existent. When we arrived had to ask for robes took 2 days to get them. Our floors were never swept or moped the whole time we were there. Bathroom not cleaned at all. They made the bed and left clean towels that’s it. I asked for drinking glasses for 4 days and finally gave up. I ask to have in room coffee station refilled they gave us cups and that was it. I asked again for coffee they gave me decaf when I said no I wanted regular they said they were out. We enjoyed the room service breakfast most mornings but one morning called and requested bagel with cream cheese when they brought everything they said were are out of bagels, yet we go down to breakfast and there is about 30 bagels sitting in a basket.
Was at the pool bar and ordered a dirty bananas drink mind you I had been drinking these all morning and the bartender said sorry we are out of bananas, once again WTH. Got out of the pool to rethink drink option and a server came and asked if I wanted a drink told her what I wanted and low and behold if she did not go to the same bar I just came from and brought me one. Thought they were out of bananas? I think if they are not interested in helping you that is the standard reply.
This all took place before the TS hit so that was not the cause. Now on to the storm, they have no way of controlling the weather but the water standing in the hallways is an accident waiting to happen. There was at least 2 to 3 inches of water standing in the halls that you had to walk through to get anywhere. I now know why when you check in you sign a waiver saying secrets is not responsible for any accidents because they know one is coming and trying to protect themselves and not the guests. During the storm I was looking for an umbrella (one comes in closet in room but we didn’t have one) so we could go to dinner. All of the other guests and employees had secrets umbrellas and I went in search for one and was told they were out. I went out the front door and asked someone else about an umbrella; he looked at me and then looked at an umbrella leaning against the wall and said no, no umbrella. So I guess what there saying is its ok if the guest gets wet as long as the employees don’t have to.
This was our third trip to Jamaica and the worst resort we have stayed in. I believe if this resort wants to be a five star they have lots of work to be done. The Wi-Fi you must pay for at a cost of $15.00 per day is a total rip off, maybe it will work and if it does it moves as slow as dial up or maybe it wont. Doesn’t matter they don’t care. We paid a lot of money to stay here and IMO it is not worth it.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank tiredofmo
Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed October 7, 2010

I just came back from 6 days at Secrets Resort on Montego Bay which I was part of a conference. The location is great. It is less than a 20 minute ride from the airport and the "downtown-strip". There are two hotels on the grounds: Secrets Wild Orchid and Secrets St. James, I'm not sure what the difference is between the two - either way both use the same resort amenities. I stayed in the Wild Orchid, very spacious large room with four-post king bed, desk/chair, love-seat, coffee table, 42" flat screen tv, very large bathroom with two sinks, whirlpool tub, separate shower. I was on the first floor so I had a patio, others have a private balcony. All rooms face the beach and ocean. It's an "all-inclusive" resort so all your food and alcohol is included and this Secrets resort does both very, very well! Breakfast buffet was great! So much variety to choose from, located by the fresh juices is a bottle of vodka for those who like to start their day off with a little "kick"! You have several options for lunch but don't miss the guys that push the "Jerk-Chicken Cart, Paella Cart, Pizza Cart, Pineapple Cart and my favorite the fresh Coconut with Rum Cart"! These carts come by the pool area daily and again is included in your stay. You are going to have a problem deciding where to have dinner so stay for at least 5 nights and eat dinner in a different restaurant each night. Himitsu for Japanese is very good and lots of fun! Portofino for Italian - try the Veal Scalopini, El Patio for Mexican, Blue Mountain and for French try Bordeaux! Before or after dinner hit the piano bar there in the courtyard. After dinner is the Show Theater with an entertaining house band, then it's off to Desires Nightclub for some karoke and dancing to a dj playing all the top hits. When you get back to your room you'll probably be hungry again so grab the room service menu and order a sandwich - room service is offered 24 hours and again included in your rate! Included in your rate is the use of Hobie-Cat Sailboats, windsurfer and kayaks plus snorkling. There is a tennis court, basketball court and a full service spa on property. Now you might think that everything I mentioned here was the highlight of my stay but it wasn't, the staff is really the best part!! The bartenders, servers and the entertainment team responsible for all the sports activities around the pool and on the beach and in the game area are the BEST! My hats off to Vanessa, Cassie, Althea, Bruce, Jerry and so many others (please forgive me guys if I didn't mention your name) are the best staff and know how to get you involved and having fun! Get ready for beach vollyball twice daily, beach olympics, pool olympics, dance-offs by the pool, crazy games and more organized activities. I came to the resort as a solo traveler attending a conference and I expected to be pretty much by myself but, because of the staff I mentioned and some I forgot, I left the resort with so many new friends like Tabitha & Shay from Orange County, Brad & Stephanie from Houston, Serg & Katie from Jersey, Steven & Jenn from Atlanta, Alex & Rachel from Kansas City, Clayton & wife from Indiana, Jim and wife from San Fran, Derick and his wife and so many others! To the entire staff; the general manager Emilio, the Exec. Chef and everyone else - thank you for making my stay the best vacation/conference I've ever had! I will be back! Oliver K.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank iBoatFLA
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 7, 2010

We have just returned from our second 2 week visit to this resort and would have no qualms in recommending it. We have been regular visitors to the Caribbean for the past 30 years and this place is up there amongst the best. We had a terrific stay and whilst it may not be perfect the positives certainly outweigh the negatives.

We e-mailed the resort in advance of our 2nd visit and requested our old room . Caulette who deals with the facebook networking could not have been more helpful and whilst the room was occupied when we arrived, she arranged for us to be moved into it on our 2nd night,. She is a lovely Lady so please don't be too hard on her on these forums.

STAFF

Without question the most impressive feature of this resort is the quality of its staff. They are the best we have come across in any all-inclusive resort & I would take issue with anyone who says you need to tip to receive good service. If you treat the staff with respect you will receive good service. Yes, I did tip but only after the service was forthcoming. It was not just the customer facing staff but also the gardeners and maintenance workers who exuded goodwill & friendliness.

ROOMS

We stayed in one of the standard rooms which were superior to those we have stayed at in both Sandals & Couples Resorts. The bed was as comfortable as any I have slept in. The bathrooms have a monsoon shower with a separate roll top bath with jacuzzi. There is a 37" wall mounted flat screen TV with a comprehensive selection of sports, movie & news channels. The view from the balconies is stunning particularly at sunset.

POOLS & BEACH

The beaches are man made and there are rocks underfoot in some areas but you would be hard pushed to complain about them. St. James beaches may have the edge over W.O. but they are all quite beautiful. The pool areas are comfortable and there is absolutely no shortage of sunbeds even when the Resort is full. Waiter service at the pool and on the beach was offered on a frequent basis. At lunchtime they even brought pizzas & jerk chicken to those who did not want to leave their sunbeds.

FOOD

Breakfast is served buffet style and the selection is extensive. Luch can be taken in the buffet or alternatively in the poolside restaurants, which were immaculate. During our most recent stay when the Resort was relatively quiet, 4 of the 5 restaurants were always open. Bourdeaux, Portofino & Himitsu were open every night whilst El Patio & Blue Mountain opened every other night. Food is very much down to personal taste but we thought the quality was generally quite high and the presentation always superb. Room service is also available on a 24hr basis at no extra charge.

Europeans tend to take longer holidays than our friends in the States and we did miss the option of having plainer food during some of the evenings. There is no evening buffet available and during our second week we could have murdered a plate of fish & chips or a plain steak with a baked potato.

This time around the house red wine was a very drinkable Argentinian Cabernet Sauvignon, the white wine however was not great. On our first visit the white was superior to the red so they seem to be exploring different suppliers. Hopefully they will get it right for our next visit.

BARS

All the bars serve premium branded drinks however it can be hit & miss what they have at any particular time and it may be necessary to move to a bar that has your particular tipple. There does not appear to be any rhyme or reason for this. The bars are well appointed and are ideal meeting places for getting to make new friends. We must thank Phillip & Joy in the Wild Orchid Rendezvous Bar for taking great care of us. They are special people.

I would certainly advise guests to attend the weekly managers cocktail party. The management welcome your input and can be very informative.

We are very much looking forward to visiting again in December and catching up with our Jamaican Friends.

1 Thank NickMaggieWales
Hershey, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 6, 2010

I have nothing but wonderful things to say about SWO. The resort and staff are terrific. The rooms were clean, food was good and drinks were great. We chose to go on a Chukka excursion (4x4 safari). It was worth every penny! I really like that the resort was busy, but it didn't feel like it was overly crowded. Thank you Secrets! We will be back!

Bronx, New York
Reviewed October 4, 2010

Hello All, my partner and I stayed at Secrets Wild Orchid from 09/27- 10/02. We had a great time!!!! The Hotel is very nice and well kept. Check-in was simple and the front desk very friendly and professional. However we did arrive a bit early as check in is at 3pm so our room was not ready but no problem because they held our bags for us in an office and we were able to enjoy the beach and lunch as we waited for our room. Our room was located on the 2nd Floor in the wild orchid building in the non preferred. We Loved the room... it was so romantic... The Bathroom was awesome and the stand alone jetted tub was very relaxing. My boyfriend liked that the most!! The view was very nice, it overlooked the bar pool and the ocean and It had a great Palm tree next to us... The Food was great and plentiful!! Breakfast had everything under the sun!! Eggs, fruit, cereals, breads, natural Juices, a baked Ham to die for and anything that you may want.. Lunch is great as well.. I truly enjoyed the Jerked Chicken from Oceana and my boyfriend enjoyed the burgers and nachos... Dinner was yummy and had many places to choose from... We liked the Italian place the best, the chicken parm was so good!!!! The Drinks were on the money... We had many drinks all kinds and all were great!!! Try Bob Marley and Passionate Kiss.. yummmmyyyyy!!!! While on our stay it rained 5 days out of 6.. We arrived to sunny skies but by evening the clouds had run over and never left... However that did not spoil our fun we drank, ate and would run to the beach when there was a break in the clouds, but that did not last long as the next set of clouds would roll by and drenched us with liquid sunshine... The entertainment was fun!!! We saw three shows and all had great acts, music and laughter.. The House band was awesome and played all types of music.... The Staff is wonderful and they were never short on smiles.. We booked the Zip line tour but was canceled due to the rain but fortunately we were able to go on the Cool Runnings tour which had Dunns River, snorkeling and sailing in Ocho Rios... It was a Blast!!!! We also took a private taxi for shopping and it was the best choice .. He gave us a mini tour and took us to the market were the natives shop and took us to the top of a hill visiting Grace hotel.. The view from there is priceless and my boyfriend went crazy when he saw as far has his eyes can see. Hilton Thank you for our tour and you went beyond what is expected. Thank you!!!
All in All we loved Jamaica and will return soon!!!! I miss Secrets already!!!

2 Thank Eluci1985
#4 of 61 in Montego Bay
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites
Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa

Been to Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay? Share your experiences!