“Not even close to 5*”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
St. Joseph, MO
“Not even close to 5*”
Reviewed October 7, 2010

We stayed at SWO Sept 23-30. We took our adult kids with us so there were 5 of us in 3 different rooms.
I will start with the positives beautiful location. Views are wonderful. The beach does have some issues but was still great. Pool area great and lively they do have some problems with playing the same music over and over but overall was terrific.
We arrived about 3 check in was quick and easy. We were told they were still serving lunch and went to grab some at the Oceana grill. Husband ordered jerk chicken, 3 of us ordered hamburgers and 1 BLT. Waitress came back and said they were out of jerk chicken and only had 1 hamburger WHAT? I should have realized then that this was going to be how the week would go. I don’t think I have ever heard the word no or were out of that more then I did from secrets staff.
Housekeeping was non existent. When we arrived had to ask for robes took 2 days to get them. Our floors were never swept or moped the whole time we were there. Bathroom not cleaned at all. They made the bed and left clean towels that’s it. I asked for drinking glasses for 4 days and finally gave up. I ask to have in room coffee station refilled they gave us cups and that was it. I asked again for coffee they gave me decaf when I said no I wanted regular they said they were out. We enjoyed the room service breakfast most mornings but one morning called and requested bagel with cream cheese when they brought everything they said were are out of bagels, yet we go down to breakfast and there is about 30 bagels sitting in a basket.
Was at the pool bar and ordered a dirty bananas drink mind you I had been drinking these all morning and the bartender said sorry we are out of bananas, once again WTH. Got out of the pool to rethink drink option and a server came and asked if I wanted a drink told her what I wanted and low and behold if she did not go to the same bar I just came from and brought me one. Thought they were out of bananas? I think if they are not interested in helping you that is the standard reply.
This all took place before the TS hit so that was not the cause. Now on to the storm, they have no way of controlling the weather but the water standing in the hallways is an accident waiting to happen. There was at least 2 to 3 inches of water standing in the halls that you had to walk through to get anywhere. I now know why when you check in you sign a waiver saying secrets is not responsible for any accidents because they know one is coming and trying to protect themselves and not the guests. During the storm I was looking for an umbrella (one comes in closet in room but we didn’t have one) so we could go to dinner. All of the other guests and employees had secrets umbrellas and I went in search for one and was told they were out. I went out the front door and asked someone else about an umbrella; he looked at me and then looked at an umbrella leaning against the wall and said no, no umbrella. So I guess what there saying is its ok if the guest gets wet as long as the employees don’t have to.
This was our third trip to Jamaica and the worst resort we have stayed in. I believe if this resort wants to be a five star they have lots of work to be done. The Wi-Fi you must pay for at a cost of $15.00 per day is a total rip off, maybe it will work and if it does it moves as slow as dial up or maybe it wont. Doesn’t matter they don’t care. We paid a lot of money to stay here and IMO it is not worth it.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank tiredofmo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,353)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed October 7, 2010

I just came back from 6 days at Secrets Resort on Montego Bay which I was part of a conference. The location is great. It is less than a 20 minute ride from the airport and the "downtown-strip". There are two hotels on the grounds: Secrets Wild Orchid and Secrets St. James, I'm not sure what the difference is between the two - either way both use the same resort amenities. I stayed in the Wild Orchid, very spacious large room with four-post king bed, desk/chair, love-seat, coffee table, 42" flat screen tv, very large bathroom with two sinks, whirlpool tub, separate shower. I was on the first floor so I had a patio, others have a private balcony. All rooms face the beach and ocean. It's an "all-inclusive" resort so all your food and alcohol is included and this Secrets resort does both very, very well! Breakfast buffet was great! So much variety to choose from, located by the fresh juices is a bottle of vodka for those who like to start their day off with a little "kick"! You have several options for lunch but don't miss the guys that push the "Jerk-Chicken Cart, Paella Cart, Pizza Cart, Pineapple Cart and my favorite the fresh Coconut with Rum Cart"! These carts come by the pool area daily and again is included in your stay. You are going to have a problem deciding where to have dinner so stay for at least 5 nights and eat dinner in a different restaurant each night. Himitsu for Japanese is very good and lots of fun! Portofino for Italian - try the Veal Scalopini, El Patio for Mexican, Blue Mountain and for French try Bordeaux! Before or after dinner hit the piano bar there in the courtyard. After dinner is the Show Theater with an entertaining house band, then it's off to Desires Nightclub for some karoke and dancing to a dj playing all the top hits. When you get back to your room you'll probably be hungry again so grab the room service menu and order a sandwich - room service is offered 24 hours and again included in your rate! Included in your rate is the use of Hobie-Cat Sailboats, windsurfer and kayaks plus snorkling. There is a tennis court, basketball court and a full service spa on property. Now you might think that everything I mentioned here was the highlight of my stay but it wasn't, the staff is really the best part!! The bartenders, servers and the entertainment team responsible for all the sports activities around the pool and on the beach and in the game area are the BEST! My hats off to Vanessa, Cassie, Althea, Bruce, Jerry and so many others (please forgive me guys if I didn't mention your name) are the best staff and know how to get you involved and having fun! Get ready for beach vollyball twice daily, beach olympics, pool olympics, dance-offs by the pool, crazy games and more organized activities. I came to the resort as a solo traveler attending a conference and I expected to be pretty much by myself but, because of the staff I mentioned and some I forgot, I left the resort with so many new friends like Tabitha & Shay from Orange County, Brad & Stephanie from Houston, Serg & Katie from Jersey, Steven & Jenn from Atlanta, Alex & Rachel from Kansas City, Clayton & wife from Indiana, Jim and wife from San Fran, Derick and his wife and so many others! To the entire staff; the general manager Emilio, the Exec. Chef and everyone else - thank you for making my stay the best vacation/conference I've ever had! I will be back! Oliver K.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank iBoatFLA
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 7, 2010

We have just returned from our second 2 week visit to this resort and would have no qualms in recommending it. We have been regular visitors to the Caribbean for the past 30 years and this place is up there amongst the best. We had a terrific stay and whilst it may not be perfect the positives certainly outweigh the negatives.

We e-mailed the resort in advance of our 2nd visit and requested our old room . Caulette who deals with the facebook networking could not have been more helpful and whilst the room was occupied when we arrived, she arranged for us to be moved into it on our 2nd night,. She is a lovely Lady so please don't be too hard on her on these forums.

STAFF

Without question the most impressive feature of this resort is the quality of its staff. They are the best we have come across in any all-inclusive resort & I would take issue with anyone who says you need to tip to receive good service. If you treat the staff with respect you will receive good service. Yes, I did tip but only after the service was forthcoming. It was not just the customer facing staff but also the gardeners and maintenance workers who exuded goodwill & friendliness.

ROOMS

We stayed in one of the standard rooms which were superior to those we have stayed at in both Sandals & Couples Resorts. The bed was as comfortable as any I have slept in. The bathrooms have a monsoon shower with a separate roll top bath with jacuzzi. There is a 37" wall mounted flat screen TV with a comprehensive selection of sports, movie & news channels. The view from the balconies is stunning particularly at sunset.

POOLS & BEACH

The beaches are man made and there are rocks underfoot in some areas but you would be hard pushed to complain about them. St. James beaches may have the edge over W.O. but they are all quite beautiful. The pool areas are comfortable and there is absolutely no shortage of sunbeds even when the Resort is full. Waiter service at the pool and on the beach was offered on a frequent basis. At lunchtime they even brought pizzas & jerk chicken to those who did not want to leave their sunbeds.

FOOD

Breakfast is served buffet style and the selection is extensive. Luch can be taken in the buffet or alternatively in the poolside restaurants, which were immaculate. During our most recent stay when the Resort was relatively quiet, 4 of the 5 restaurants were always open. Bourdeaux, Portofino & Himitsu were open every night whilst El Patio & Blue Mountain opened every other night. Food is very much down to personal taste but we thought the quality was generally quite high and the presentation always superb. Room service is also available on a 24hr basis at no extra charge.

Europeans tend to take longer holidays than our friends in the States and we did miss the option of having plainer food during some of the evenings. There is no evening buffet available and during our second week we could have murdered a plate of fish & chips or a plain steak with a baked potato.

This time around the house red wine was a very drinkable Argentinian Cabernet Sauvignon, the white wine however was not great. On our first visit the white was superior to the red so they seem to be exploring different suppliers. Hopefully they will get it right for our next visit.

BARS

All the bars serve premium branded drinks however it can be hit & miss what they have at any particular time and it may be necessary to move to a bar that has your particular tipple. There does not appear to be any rhyme or reason for this. The bars are well appointed and are ideal meeting places for getting to make new friends. We must thank Phillip & Joy in the Wild Orchid Rendezvous Bar for taking great care of us. They are special people.

I would certainly advise guests to attend the weekly managers cocktail party. The management welcome your input and can be very informative.

We are very much looking forward to visiting again in December and catching up with our Jamaican Friends.

1 Thank NickMaggieWales
Hershey, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 6, 2010

I have nothing but wonderful things to say about SWO. The resort and staff are terrific. The rooms were clean, food was good and drinks were great. We chose to go on a Chukka excursion (4x4 safari). It was worth every penny! I really like that the resort was busy, but it didn't feel like it was overly crowded. Thank you Secrets! We will be back!

Bronx, New York
Reviewed October 4, 2010

Hello All, my partner and I stayed at Secrets Wild Orchid from 09/27- 10/02. We had a great time!!!! The Hotel is very nice and well kept. Check-in was simple and the front desk very friendly and professional. However we did arrive a bit early as check in is at 3pm so our room was not ready but no problem because they held our bags for us in an office and we were able to enjoy the beach and lunch as we waited for our room. Our room was located on the 2nd Floor in the wild orchid building in the non preferred. We Loved the room... it was so romantic... The Bathroom was awesome and the stand alone jetted tub was very relaxing. My boyfriend liked that the most!! The view was very nice, it overlooked the bar pool and the ocean and It had a great Palm tree next to us... The Food was great and plentiful!! Breakfast had everything under the sun!! Eggs, fruit, cereals, breads, natural Juices, a baked Ham to die for and anything that you may want.. Lunch is great as well.. I truly enjoyed the Jerked Chicken from Oceana and my boyfriend enjoyed the burgers and nachos... Dinner was yummy and had many places to choose from... We liked the Italian place the best, the chicken parm was so good!!!! The Drinks were on the money... We had many drinks all kinds and all were great!!! Try Bob Marley and Passionate Kiss.. yummmmyyyyy!!!! While on our stay it rained 5 days out of 6.. We arrived to sunny skies but by evening the clouds had run over and never left... However that did not spoil our fun we drank, ate and would run to the beach when there was a break in the clouds, but that did not last long as the next set of clouds would roll by and drenched us with liquid sunshine... The entertainment was fun!!! We saw three shows and all had great acts, music and laughter.. The House band was awesome and played all types of music.... The Staff is wonderful and they were never short on smiles.. We booked the Zip line tour but was canceled due to the rain but fortunately we were able to go on the Cool Runnings tour which had Dunns River, snorkeling and sailing in Ocho Rios... It was a Blast!!!! We also took a private taxi for shopping and it was the best choice .. He gave us a mini tour and took us to the market were the natives shop and took us to the top of a hill visiting Grace hotel.. The view from there is priceless and my boyfriend went crazy when he saw as far has his eyes can see. Hilton Thank you for our tour and you went beyond what is expected. Thank you!!!
All in All we loved Jamaica and will return soon!!!! I miss Secrets already!!!

2 Thank Eluci1985
NYC
Reviewed October 4, 2010

We just returned from our trip the SWO.. 9/25-10/2. I booked this trip back in August as our 1 year anniversary was approaching and read every review on TA and the facebook pages. We couldn't wait to go and took down all advice and prepared for everything... except for a Tropical Storm!!

We had our honeymoon at The Excellence in Riviera Cancun last year and were blown away, we planned on going back but we really wanted to try Jamaica. Now this hotel is brand new and is no where near Excellence... at least not yet. They have a lot of work ahead of themselves and I hope the Secrets company along with Management and Staff keep on it because this is a really great hotel and I would hate to see it drop in value.

Check in - we landed at Montego Bay and cleared customs within minutes and walked right to our pick up section.. Nobody hassling you to buy time shares,begging to carry your bags or other nonsense like they do in Cancun and the Dominican Republic . We arrived to the hotel and found out our room wasnt ready yet (even though I was told they would schedule an early check in for me) I was not happy but smiled and went to Oceana for lunch. 2 hours later we get checked in and I requested a higher room # floor and they gave me the 2nd floor... It didnt matter because the room still had a great view of the ocean and so I didnt complain. What I didnt understand is the hotel was at least 30-40% capacity... why it took so long for check in was beyond us.

Rooms - The room is great, We didnt bother on the PC upgrades, the view is great, the bed is amazing and so comfortable. The Rain Shower didn't work as well and we used the regular shower head. The Amenities were good and typical of a 5 star resort and it always had a damp smell to it. It wasn't awful but at the same time I really regret not bringing candles.. (BRING CANDLES, AIR FRESHNER, GLADE PLUG IN.. Anything that can make the room smell fresher) I gave the room 3 stars because of the sensor light that controls all power in the room.. AC, Fridge, Clock!! I don't know how people can survive in this hotel in the summer??? It got hot from time to time. The Mini Bar fridge keeps nothing cold. I don't understand how you can have a sensor control everything in a room, especially at night time when you sleep. I kept programming the clock but within 2 hours id come back to the room and it would unset and the room was hot again. They really need to change that. Also the ceiling has swatted mosquitoes splattered everywhere. Clearly someone took revenge!! (Bring Bug Spray)

Hotel - The first few days were great and it rained only during the mid afternoon and cleared up at night. We did the kayak and relaxed at the beach. The DJ was loud and sometimes you just wanted to some peace and quiet but it didn't matter. It had a lot of fun things to do, the game room. They tried to accommodate everyone very well during the rain. My big gripe would be the internet - PC club is free but everyone else pays 50 cents a minute?? Really Secrets???? Excellence gave the internet service to everyone for free.
When it rained the hallways flooded.. BE CAREFUL WALKING!! People were either celebrating anniversaries or honeymoons and the crowd was over all young (25-50) There were seniors also and all the guests were cool. We made a lot of great friends on the vacation and everyone laughed it up as it rained and rained and then the rolling black outs through out the night.

Staff - the friendliest and hardest working people you will ever meet. They work hard and what ever you need they will get it for you!! If the hotel didn't have it, a waiter told me he will go to town and buy it for you! It would not be fair to name a specific person because everyone went out of there way to please you.

Food - 2 of the nights they had to have a buffet at dinner, due to the heavy storms and mud slides. It prevented people from coming to work and I felt so bad for them. Some guests complained (Typical Europeans) about a buffet and we were appalled. The food at the buffet was still great! They brought in the himitsu chefs and Portofino guys. The world Cafe for breakfast was great also. We loved the Bordeaux and they had amazing fillet. I wish the appetizer servings were a little larger but you can order everything and they dont care. The service wasn't slow and we had fun chatting with the staff

Beach - Sadly this gets a low grade - It was a man made beach and there were rocks everywhere you step in the water and it hurts. After the storms the beach was destroyed and you can see sand bags. We are beach lovers and it hurt to see it.

Pool - it was fun, I wish they were connected.. you have to get out of one side to go to pool side bar section.

Spa - amazing and definitely a must!!

Night life - the Piano bar was nice when it was opened.. they need to hire a piano player who can sing tunes because it was annoying hearing a bunch of drunken men singing songs. Desires was a fun club, typical of every resort club within the Caribbean.

Overall - It rained heavily 5 out of the 7 days we were there and but it didnt dampened our spirits. Me and my wife still had a great time and made great friends we give this hotel a 4 star and hopefully the management invests time and money to the hotel and sticks with it. I believe within time Secrets Wild Orchid will be a 5 star and maybe we can return back.

1 Thank EBal24
Squiddly_10, Social Networking/Econcierge at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay, responded to this review, October 8, 2010
Dear Mr. Bal:

Thank you so much for your fair and honest review of your recent stay with us, we are very happy that you took the time to post your review.

All comments are welcome as this helps us in our growth and development over time and will enable us to better focus on the areas that need imrprovement. This also allows us to give commendation and show our appreciation to the persons in the areas that are excelling.

We would also like to express our sincere gratitude for your recognition and how hard we all work even when faced with adversities as in the case of TS Nicole. Our staff is back out in its full complement now and things are back to normal.

Our beach got special attention as we brought in our engineers and our senior management team (Directors) worked very hard to ensure the necessary repairs were effected in the shortest possible time.

Once again our many thanks to you, and we do hope that we will have the pleasure of hosting yourand your beautiful wife for many more celebrations in the future.

Please feel free to contact me directly by emailing: econcierge.sesmb@secretsresorts.com at your convenience.

Best regards,

Caulette
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed October 3, 2010

My husband and I had a great time at Secrets Wild Orchid. It rained the entire time we were there but going with another couple kept our trip fun! The BEST part of our experience at Secrets was the staff. Everyone is super friendly and always willing to help if needed. Service can be slow at times but this has been our experience on other trips to the Caribbean... it's not the U.S. so I guess we can't expect everything to be on our time... and besides... what the rush right?! :) Everyone always greets you with a smile and asks how you're doing. Awesome staff!

The resort itself is very trendy and modern. Very cool ambiance... but it's going to require an endless amount of money to keep the place looking good. Cracks in the walls in our room. LEAKS everywhere (we stayed during TS Nicole) we had 6 different areas in our room that water was coming in from the ceiling and we were on level 3 of 5! YIKES! My husband and I are pretty easy going and weren't really too moved by this but being only 8 months old I see lots of problems in the future. Our power also went out for half a day and they had to work on it. Turns out the cheap labor they contracted to build the place had crossed some wires in the breaker box and didn't hook up the electrical stuff right. Other significant problems existed with the actual building quality but I won't bore you with too many details.

Food was pretty good. Bordeaux was my favorite. It's not the best stuff ever but for an all inclusive all you can eat, I can't complain :) Drinks you must try.... Bob Marley, Summer Splash and Jamaican Smile... these are delicious! The couple of nights we went to the resort nightclub "Desires" we had a great time! Great music and fun bartenders!

The beach as mentioned in other comments is very rocky. It's a pretty spot, just not that easy on the feet. If a long sandy beach is a MUST this probably isn't the best place for your vacation.

Advice... bring a watch. The power goes out a couple times a day for a few seconds and then comes back on so the channel on the TV with the time is off, the alarm clock is not right... we had to call the front desk to keep asking what time it was. The importance here is if you have a trip planned or a spa appt. or even if you want to know what time it is for dinner... if you need to catch the tour bus at a certain time just make sure you have a watch.

We absolutely enjoyed our stay at Secrets... I still prefer the Sandals resorts more but would definitely consider trying a different Secrets resort!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,040 reviews
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa

Been to Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay? Share your experiences!