“Perfect stay just as before! ”

Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Ranked #10 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

This resort is the top of the line. Each time we go we can't imagine it being better than before but it is. Staff is simply amazing from the moment you enter the property you feel as if you are truly home. Our Butler Jevan, was just outstanding. Waitresses everyday went above and beyond to please. We will be returning for Xmas and New Years making it our 3rd visit this year. The food and restaurants where also incredible. Entertainment every night was a lot of fun!

Love and will miss our dear friends we've made there!

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jamie C

Reviewed July 18, 2014

My wife and I just returned from our vacation at Secrets Wild Orchid in Montego Bay. This was our second visit and even more enjoyable than the first which was just a year ago. What we thought really sets this resort apart is the staff and the people of Jamaica in general. I travel all over the world on business and my wife and I have experienced many resorts. While it is expected that guests should receive good service, it is not always expected to receive it with such heartfelt friendliness and warmth. At no other resort that I have ever visited have I found such a genuinely friendly staff from top to bottom, although I do not recall the GM saying hello when I passed, but he was the only exception. I do need to mention Ayanna Duval, who was especially helpful to us.

This is an all-inclusive resort that does it right. There are no reservations for dinner and there are no limitations on the number of nights at their specialty restaurants. For me, the buffet at breakfast is fine, but I like to sit and be served at dinner when on vacation. There may be a short wait at times, but even with the resort at full occupancy, I didn’t see anyone wait more than a drink. The wait is usually for seating outside, so if you choose to sit inside, like my wife and I did, we never had a wait. The food is good and will vary depending on what you choose. Don’t expect the French or Italian restaurants to be like what you may have experienced in New York, but there is enough going on in the recipes to differentiate. For a taste of Jamaica, the Blue Mountain restaurant offers more than just jerk chicken. Try the curried goat, which Jamaicans had told me was their special occasion meal, like Americans would have turkey. Prior to dinner, don’t miss the piano bar. I did not get his name, but the piano player is quite good, so get there when he begins at 7pm. This bar also has the largest selection of premium brands of everything from gin to scotch, but try the aged rum.

The location on a peninsula in Montego Bay provides the resort with a sense of separation but with a view of the populated hills surrounding the bay. There are very pretty views at night with the lights on the hills. The beaches are great for swimming and relaxing in the warm, clear Caribbean. If you like to snorkel, the water inside the protected barriers is not very good; however, the resort provides guided snorkeling out to an amazing reef just a little off shore. Check out some of the pictures I have attached. If you are experienced and a good swimmer, you can venture out on your own, but check the water chop and weather first. Mornings are obviously the best time. One comment on the guided snorkeling; when we visited in 2013, the guides took their time and also allowed for some real viewing of this beautiful reef. This year, it seemed like a race to get to the reef and back as fast as they could. Anybody who snorkels a lot would know that you need to allow for some non-movement so the fish can come out. When you do, you will be well rewarded.

The pools are where most people congregate, but we are mostly beach people at least for most of the day. Our standard routine is to stay on the beach until later in the afternoon and then go experience the fun at the pool swim up bar. As is typical at all-inclusives, drinks are equally served on the beach. There is just something about sitting on a seat in the pool being warmed by the sun while sipping a tropical drink that says “VACATION”. While it is not unusual at many resorts for the bartenders to be fun, the bartenders at Secrets Wild Orchid are on a different level of fun. As you can see from other posts, Leo stands out. He is an entertainer, instant friend and great drink service all in one. I should mention that tipping is not required, since this is an all-inclusive resort, but it is greatly appreciated. I also did not notice that anyone who did not tip was getting any less service either.

Almost all rooms have some ocean view except likely the ground floor where it would be obstructed by trees, shrubs and people. The rooms appear well maintained and clean. The resort is coupled with Secrets St. James which shares all resort amenities. Combined it is still not so large that walking is any inconvenience no matter where you need to go on the grounds.

On our last visit we stayed on premises the whole week. This visit we took a private excursion to see a little more of Jamaica. Our RCI representative on site helped make the arrangements. Most people go in large groups to the famous Dunns Falls. We visited a lesser, but unbelievably enjoyable Mayfield Falls. The guides take very small groups for a trek up the falls part walking in the water, part swimming and part climbing. In our case, it was just the guide with my wife and I. Lester, our guide, was extremely knowledgeable and helpful. There were a couple of places where we could sit inside the falls and watch the water come down in front of us. There were also some places for a great “falls” back massage. After the falls, our trip took us across the mountains from Montego Bay to Negril. This is some of the heart of Jamaica at least for the western part of the country. I recommend such a trip to anyone who wants something different than the crowds.

When you arrive at Secrets Wild Orchid, they always say, “Welcome Home”, and we found it hard to leave home when our vacation was over. We highly recommend this resort to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
7  Thank ktskigolf
Reviewed July 17, 2014

Here's a quick review of our stay at the resort.
Overall rating 4.5 stars. Rooms are spacious and beds are comfy.
Two pools - one is heated during winter months. (We didn't upgrade - there are some benefits if you upgrade).
Food and drinks - one word Awesome! Lots of choices and amazing restaurants.. We loved Portofino and Himitsu.
Top of the shelf liquor and servers are really nice except one or two which you'll find everywhere..
It's not Riu or the likes.. You get what you pay for!
We loved every bit of our vacation. Secrets has spoilt us!
Will we return to this property? ABSOLUTELY!

• Stayed: December 2013
4  Thank LoveToTravel100000
Reviewed July 17, 2014

This was the second time in 14 months that I came to Secrets Wild Orchid. Amazing experience both times.

The up-keep around the resort is incredible. Always people cleaning or maintaining the resort in some way. There is not one part of the resort that is dirty or smelly. Everything is perfectly clean, even the bathrooms.

Shout out to Happy feet and Leonard Anderson - the best 2 employees who made my trip great! We met Happy Feet in May 2013 and he remembered us when we came back last week. It's great to support a resort that treats their people well and to see the same employees the next year as proof.
Also shout out to Kimsan who was our chef at the hibachi restaurant. She was incredible.

Just such an amazing resort and experience. I've been everywhere in the Caribbean but this resort and Jamaica are at the top of my list of favorites.

Room Tip: Every room is good, no bad views or bad locations.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Christa F
Reviewed July 17, 2014

We had an amazing time at this resort! The pool bar staff is the best! Everyone is so friendly and the resort itself is wonderful. We met great people and we loved not having children running around so that we could relax.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ballenhu
Reviewed July 17, 2014

Wonderful property....amazing staff.....great beach and pool.....this is a perfect place for singles or couples to go and recharge......the food/drinks, entertainment and location are the best we have seen......the staff at this property are so well trained and SO fun that you can't help but interact with them......the general manager of this hotel is to be congratulated for his efforts in hiring and training the proper people for the different jobs
We interacted with many of the staff and enjoyed each and every one of them but have to individually mention some.....starting with Marcia Smith (concierge) and Stephanie who looked after us WAY beyond our expectations.....the concierge staff at this hotel have it figured out and made us feel very special......
We were picked up at the airport by Warren Smith who is the VIP driver (and we are not VIP's)....don't go to Montego Bay without using Warren to drive you.....we did a day trip with him that was perfect and he is a very interesting and charismatic person
When you get to the hotel Roderick met us and did an amazing job.....he is so outgoing and professional you feel you "belong" as soon as you get out of the vehicle
Our favourite servers were Deneca and Nickeisha (breakfast and lunch) and you HAVE to have Ryan (Portofino) serve you while at this property....he is a blast
We had Butler service and were not sure how to use them.....Jevan was our main Butler and I can't say enough about this young man....he is a gem.....Keen and Dalton were the other parts of the team and when we interacted with them we had fun.....All three are wonderful people who quite enjoy their job and are VERY well trained.....we also met up with Calvine who was new to the team and believe he will be a great addition to the group
Roach is great.....we did a couple of cooking classes he organized and enjoyed his outgoing personality
All in all, if you go to Jamaica don't look any further than this property.....either Wild Orchid or St. James....it really does not matter.....the rooms are amazing and everyone has an ocean view.....the pools are great and ALL the restaurants are topnotch
The best part of this hotel however IS the staff.....you feel that everyone is interested in you from the gardeners to the Concierge......the management must be an amazing bunch to put together such a smooth operation
We will be back and can't for the life of us think of anything this hotel needs to improve

Room Tip: All the rooms are great but if you can get one's closest to the beach that is a bonus.....no roo...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank johnbalmer
Reviewed July 16, 2014

Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay is by far one of the BEST resorts/vacations that I have taken in my 40 years of living. The service was exemplar and the staff were very pleasant and knowledgeable. They were always eager to help and assist and kept an inviting smile and jovial attitude at all times. The spirits were very tasty along with the delicacy and wide range of restaurant options. I enjoyed all the food and the small serving portions. The waiters and waitresses were also great in all the restaurants on the resort. I did not have one bad experience.

The resort is beautiful and well manicured. I want to send a special "thank you" to Dwight McKensie. He worked at the bar as soon as you walk out the lobby doors to the left. I forgot the name of the bar but this is where I spent most of my time in the pool and enjoying the beautiful attractions of the resort. Dwight was very friendly, helpful, and kept a bright smile on his face my entire stay. He worked really hard to serve the vacationers and did not mind going out of his way to ensure happiness. He would travel to other areas just to make sure you got want you wanted. Keep up the good work, Dwight!

Theresa was also wonderful. She was our Apple (travel agency out of Maryland) Consultant on the resort. She welcomed my girlfriends and I with sincere, genuine hospitality. She was very helpful with everything and any questions we had while there she was always around to assist. Thank you so much, Theresa.

I LOVE this resort and highly recommend. The service, hospitality, amenities, bars, restaurants, shops etc, etc are all top notch. The luxurious, elegant ambiance is definitely the way to travel and is an experience that will never be forgotten.

#1 Resort in my book
Katina Schoolfield

Room Tip: Rooms facing the beach added that extra ambiance to the trip. The sound of the waves at night was ve...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends