“Can't wait to do this again!”

Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Ranked #10 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Rome, Georgia
“Can't wait to do this again!”
Reviewed April 16, 2014

Wow, just wow! What an excellent place for a vacation! Everything was absolutely fantastic! From the room, to the food, to the helpful and friendly staff, to the excursions*. We spent the most time down by the pool bar and were kept company by Sparks (entertainment team member) and Alvin (bartender),(honorable mentions to Sherece and Harry) All went above and beyond to make sure we all had a great time and really made us all feel special!
Have breakfast at The World Cafe (the French toast, crepes and omelets are to die for) For lunch, you will want the Jerk chicken down by the beach. The chicken guy gets there about 11:00 and there will be a long line. It is worth the wait. All of the restaurants are very good, We actually ate at the Italian restaurant two nights in a row. And for late night munchies*, the room service jerk chicken Hawaiian pizza is just what the doctor ordered.
We are already trying to plan another trip. I can't wait!

* We went out to the Bob Marley mausoleum on the third day. It is a very long ride (approx. 1 1/2 hours one way) through the mountains on very narrow roads. The ride is very interesting in itself. If you are a fan of Bob Marley, or Reggae music, or Rastafarian culture, this tour is a must! If you go, here are some things you will want to know. 1) "Concessions" or party favors", if you will, are available just outside the main gate at the mausoleum. 2) Remember, you are going to have to go home and you can't take it with you, so buy accordingly (I had to give away several items) 3) Buy two Gatorades at the first bar. 4) You are encouraged to partake if you so desire.. 5) When you are 2000+ feet above sea level, the air is thinner and a little goes a looong way. 6) Treat the "party favors" with respect. They are not to be trifled with. They are as good as you hope they are. 7) When you are at the stage where the band is playing some Bob Marley music, you are about to have a 100 yard walk straight uphill to Mount Zion. You laugh now...you will see .Have fun!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank Tom F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,315)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
Arizona
Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

Second time at this resort. I love it even more. I can't wait to go back. I have dreams about the guy coming up the path with the jerk chicken cart. It smells so good. Everyone is so nice. Food is amazing. The beach was perfect. I loved everything about it.

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank Pchristos
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 16, 2014

We recently spent twelve days at Secrets Wild Orchid and had a fantastic time. The only downside was leaving this gorgeous spot and heading back to snow! As repeat guests, we can appreciate the growth of the resort. The lush landscape continues to thrive and the grounds crew takes great pride in maintaining the lovely environment. The addition of cocoons along the beach was quite a surprise and delighted the guests who enjoy a reprieve from the Caribbean sunshine. Some changes to the Piano Bar and surrounding patio make for a more spacious area for enjoying the outdoor evening entertainment.

For those of you, who haven’t experienced Secrets, let me continue this review directed to you. From the moment you enter through the gates, you are spoiled! Upon check in, you are served champagne, fruit, cookies and a cool towel. The front desk staff makes you feel comfortable and truly “at home”. You’re escorted to your room by one of the bellmen, who also give you a visual tour of the resort along the way. The rooms are comfortable and fully stocked with the essentials, including bath products, sunscreen, iron/board, a hair dryer and robes & slippers. In addition, all rooms have balconies, free mini bars, iPod docking and flat screens. Overlooking Montego Bay is absolutely gorgeous, but I will say, the view overlooking what I call the “main path” is very pretty as well. Once you’re settled into your lovely accommodations, the fun begins!

The beach and pool areas throughout the adjoining resorts are beautiful. The sand, sun and surf seduce you into the relaxing Caribbean lifestyle. A walk along the “beach path” is recommended after you’ve settled in. You’ll follow the ocean to the pools, outdoor restaurants, the entertainment and water sports centers, the gym and the spa. Along the way, you’ll take in the splendor of the tropical landscape as well as a few peacocks and parrots that roam freely throughout the resort. Make it a point to stop into the outside bars/restaurants and take in all the activity around the pools. We enjoy both Oceana and Seaside for midday dining, both of which are open air restaurants. Make sure you keep your eye out for the jerky, jerky cart, which makes its way down the path from one end to the other serving jerk chicken hot off the grill and freshly cut. A late day favorite of ours is the Barracuda Bar, which is also an outside venue. The staff there is an amazing crew. Actually, the staff throughout the resort is amazing! You’ll find that out for yourselves! (I’ve mentioned the names of many of the wonderful, helpful, gracious staff in previous reviews…check them out. I couldn’t possibly say any more about them, except that, like a fine wine, they get better with time!!! Love you all.)

Also, take a walk along the “main path” and visit the Promenade which houses Coco Café (great coffee with or without alcohol, pastries and tea sandwiches), J-Vegas (small casino), two boutiques with some lovely clothing, two jewelry stores and a shop for those essentials you’ve left behind and souvenirs. Along this path, you’ll also find “restaurant row”. There is a great selection of dining options; Mexican, Caribbean, French, Italian and Asian, as well as breakfast and lunch buffets that offer something for everyone and a late night buffet for those with the munchies! The only reservation you’ll need is for the Himitsu hibachi tables. The Piano Bar, which offers nightly sing alongs, is along this route as well. Just outside the bar is a lovely, spacious patio with plenty of seating from which to enjoy the evening on stage entertainment while sipping on cocktails. At the end of this walkway is Desires, a nightclub for those night owls who get their dancing shoes on after a long hard day!

This is only a recommendation, of course. However, I find it’s a quick and easy way to acclimate yourselves to your new home away from home! It sounds as if would take a day, but trust me, you’re only going to spend an hour or so getting familiar with the resort if your take this tour! Of course, that doesn’t include any stops along the way, which I can guarantee won’t happen! You’ll hear a Bob Marley or a Wild Orchid calling to you and you’ll succumb to the temptation!

In closing I will add my superlatives…the best staff, the best accommodations, the best dining options, the best management, the most relaxing environment, the most enjoyable guests and the most wonderful place to enjoy the perfect vacation! If you’re thinking about booking a vacation at this resort, as they say, ‘just do it’! You won’t regret it. Enjoy…

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
5 Thank Lovebeaching
NL
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Beautiful resort in Montego Bay ! Very clean! Gardens full of lovely flowers!
We stayed in the preferred club our room was the top floor with beautiful views of the both the ocean and the pool. You had your own pool and bar area with top liquor such as grey goose, baileys, miller light beer etc. it is worth the extra money to stay in this club.
The resort was very clean. The staff were fabulos! Our favorite bar was the piano bar where you sat out under the stars!
The restaurants were very nicely decorated. You could eat inside or outside. They even had light up menus outside. The food was as good as the food we have had at the various Sandals resorts that we have visited . As a matter of fact I would rate this resort right up there with sandals.
There was a singing waiter at breakfast every day he is for REAL!!!!!
We would go back to this hotel in a heart beat. We we also try other Secrets resorts!

Room Tip: Top floor facing beach preferred club!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank lamb57
Toronto
Reviewed April 15, 2014

I had travelled to Secrets St. James last year and had been disapointed with the service we recieved and their "dont bother me attitude". This year we stayed at Secret Wild Orchids. The properties are in the same complex and share the restuarants, Bars, Beach, Shopping Arcade etc. This year's trip was incredible. The service was excellent. The food was delicious. For breakfast we either ordered room service or ate at the World Cafe. Lunch was jerk chicken from the cart on the boardwalk.
For dinner we visited the Bordeaux and Portofino restaurants and the food was incredible.
A special shout out to Leo Anderson and the lady who were serving drinks at the Wild Orchids Pool and beach (10th - 13th April). The service is the best I have ever experienced at any resort. They were constantly making rounds to take orders and pick up empty glasses. Quite often they replenished my drink without being asked.
The grounds are well cared for and the room are fabulous.

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floors have an un restricted view of the ocean. The view on the lower floors may...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 15, 2014

We have just returned from a week at secrets wild orchid, Montego Bay.
I read all the reviews before we left but you really have to see it to believe it.
The hotel and the grounds are beautiful, the staff are amongst some of the most friendly people we have ever met, a special mention to Sparks and Alastair from entertainment, always made time to have a friendly chat and made us feel as if we had known them for ever!
Waiting and bar staff always happy and laughing, you never have an empty glass.
One week was not enough, we were genuinely sad to be leaving.
A beautiful venue with beautiful weather surrounded by beautiful people, we will definitely be back.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LisaYoung73
Palm Bay, Florida
Reviewed April 14, 2014

I travelled to MoBay Secrets Wild Orchid last week with as a guest of a friend and her company. I had travelled with these folks to MX on other occasions. This trip to SWO was the best trip they have done! Pick up at the airport was a little slow, but once we arrived at the resort, we were welcomed "home." And it felt like home, since I grew up in Jamaica! From the greeting of the staff to the awesome rum punch, I knew I was in for a treat. We were checked into the Preferred Club and escorted to our room and given the grand tour. Not having a distinct separation between the sleeping and bathroom areas was a bit disconcerting, but we made it work. Loved the shower, and the rainfall shower head was lovely after a day on the beach! Speaking of the beach, I loved that we were on the "mild" side, instead of the "wild" side of the resort. I did not miss the swim up bar and all the activities around that.

We arrived on Monday. By Tuesday, we had discovered the fabulous Carlton, the coconut/came man, and the jerk chicken and fruit carts! I felt like I was in a modern retelling of The Pied Piper of Hamelin the way we all lined up to follow the carts as they made the rounds of the grounds. I really miss my daily drink of coconut water and sweet sugar cane juice! Carlton was kind enough to cut the nut open to allow access to the jelly inside...Heaven!! Sigh!!

We enjoyed breakfast at the World Café buffet, but my favorite breakfast area was downstairs at the Preferred Club "café." I think her name was Denise-- she was always kind to greet me with "condensed" milk for my Blue Mountain coffee!! I'm not really a coffee drinker, but that stuff was awesome...and the service was always friendly!! There was always a snack if you didn't feel like venturing out to the Barefoot café. Kudos to Stephanie and Oraldo in the World Café! Thanks for the "gift," Steph! I enjoyed them tremendously!! She knows what I'm talking about!! :)

Dinner was always a delicious adventure. We ate at the Japanese place -- a little too loud when all three tables are going at the same time -- but good food; Bordeaux was fabulous -- very accommodating; lobster night at World Café was awesome -- succulent grilled lobster, oh my, I wish I could have eaten more! If I had to complain about food, it would be the room service. Very limited mediocre menu and the only person we encountered who didn't appear to be happy in his job.

Entertainment was always good. I participated in the nature tour. The tour guide -- is her name Elaine?? -- was very knowledgeable, and kind enough to find me some sweet potato pudding. Sweet!! Loved the "Pace" band -- great show! There is a disco, but the time lapse between the outdoor entertainment ending and the disco beginning, meant I was usually back to my room --too bad -- so never experienced it!

One negative -- we noticed that the closer it came to our departure, the more lax the housekeeping service got. We had turn down one night in a 6-night stay, and by the 5th night, we had to call twice for washcloths and towels. Kudos to Andree who serviced our room the first couple of days. She did a great job for us!

All in all, a great visit home! Majority of the staff appeared to love their job and it showed! I loved that SWO brought in craft vendors one night so those who didn't want to venture outside the resort were able to purchase a memento of their trip. I also enjoyed the activities on the beaches -- weddings, receptions, romantic candlelit dinners...I'll be back for my honeymoon! Of course, I have to meet Mr. Right first!! :D Thanks for a wonderful stay!!

Room Tip: If you're looking for a room with a fabulous view of the sunset, you can't beat 1408!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
#4 of 61 in Montego Bay
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites
Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa

Been to Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay? Share your experiences!