“Do not plan a wedding here”

Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Ranked #10 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Phoenix, Arizona
“Do not plan a wedding here”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

My wife and I planned a wedding at Secrets for January 2014. One Month before the wedding the resort demanded an additional $4000 dollars in fees and accommodation expenses or else they would not host the wedding. Nothing in our wedding contract stated anything that gave them grounds to stand on to enforce the "required" extra venue fees and "required" accommodations. Long story short we had to scramble to find another venue in Jamaica a month before our wedding took place because we could not afford another 4 grand and both sides of our family were already locked into being in Jamaica for our wedding.

Please be careful planning a wedding here. I would not recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
17 Thank arexse7en

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,443)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
Rutherford, TN
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I just spent a week at Secrets Wild Orchid and it was an amazing experience. I love the private beach areas for Secrets customers only. I also like the size of the property as opposed to some of the much larger ones where I have stayed in the past. Overall the food was great. All of the employees are SO nice and helpful and genuinely seem to appreciate your stay with them. My only complaint is that the lighting in the room & especially the bathroom are very poor. I stayed in the preferred building, room# 1313 and the view from the balcony was wonderful. Also, the entertainment was awesome so be sure to check out the nightly shows in Showtime Theatre at 9:30. This was a great experience and I highly recommend staying here!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank TNgirl72
Carlisle, Pa
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Our first greeting was Welcome Home and they mean it. We celebrated our anniversary here in May and fell in love with the resort so I decided to treat myself to a birthday present and bring my 3 adult daughters back for a girls vacation in Nov. The rooms, food, cleanliness, attention to detail and especially the staff were all what you look for in a 5 star resort. The beach and pools are picturesque and well maintained down to fact that containers of bottled water are along the beach for your convenience. The food is beautifully presented with a wide variety of delicious choices...one night I had 4 lobster tails!! The staff on every level was accommodating to the max!! I think the Jamaican people were born with a smile on their faces and happiness in their hearts!! I would truly recommend this resort to anyone who is looking for beautiful surroundings, delicious and plentiful food, luxurious accommodations and a caring, friendly staff.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mimi569
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed January 26, 2014

This is a wonderful resort. I would highly recommend it. My husband and I celebrated our Wedding Anniversary and New Years' Eve there.
We could not have asked for more. The resort and staff exceeded our expectations.
The resort is unique in its design and the staff are warm and friendly. We were made to feel at home from the minute we arrived.
Montego Bay may not offer the best beach areas, but it conveniently located close to the airport. We would definitely return to the Wild Orchid again.
Our thanks go to Renae, for taking such good care of us, and making this celebratory vacation so memorable.

Room Tip: If it is available, ask for a room on the second floor, the view is so much better. You may want to...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RhondaEssen
Chesapeake, Virginia
Reviewed January 25, 2014

We just got back from 5 days at this resort and an awesome vacation! Everything was clean and well kept, exactly what you would expect. Plenty of restaurants and entertainment. It's the staff that puts it over the top though. My husband and I went with another couple and the entire time the staff made sure we were happy and well taken care of. They made a point to know our names, chat with us and kept my husbands travel cooler filled with beer at all times! Special thanks to Kadesha, Leo, Bruce, Happy Feet, Sparks, Martino, Andrew and Richard. You now have 4 friends in Virginia Beach! Thanks for everything!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Nikki H
Swift Current, Canada
Reviewed January 24, 2014

This was our second time to Jamaica (stayed in Negril a few years back). We stayed here last February with some friends. Everything about this vacation was fantastic!! The food, beverages, rooms and friendliness of the staff. You have to try the Jerk chicken on the BBQ. There was nothing to complain about at this resort. I will highly recommend this resort to anyone travelling to Jamaica. While the beaches in Negril are incomparable, there is no one nagging and bugging you to buy drugs or trinkets here. But the beach at wild Orchids was also very nice and well maintained. We golfed at the half moon course, zip lined and swam with the dolphins. No shortage of things to do.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
SWO_STJconcierge, Manager at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear Valued Guest:

We so appreciate that you have taken the time to share your experience with us via Trip Advisor and certainly appreciate your comments.

We thank you for making us your vacation destination of choice and look forward to the opportunity to be of service to you once again.

Very best regards,

Caulette Mornan
Social Networking/eConcierge
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed January 24, 2014

My wife and I were part of a large group for a company sales meeting and we stayed at the Wild Orchid for 5 nights. We were part of a smaller group who were booked to stay in their "Preferred Club" section while the majority of the group stayed in the larger, non-preferred section. If you want a much quieter and less frenetic atmosphere then I would highly recommend the preferred area. The non-preferred area is more lively (beach volleyball, loud music, more crowed bars, etc) with many more people staying there. The service and staff were excellent, the organized activities for our group were flawless, and the many different kinds of food were generally very good. I felt that the drinks were a bit watered down pretty much everywhere on the property but the variety was great. The hotel's private beaches were beautiful and were able to accomodate the large number of people very well. We never went anywhere off the property and were told it wasn't a good idea anyway. Although I can certainly recommend this resort, I was told by a couple of different people in our group who had stayed at other Montego Bay resorts (Half Moon, Sandals), that they liked them better than the Wild Orchid. Check prices and then make your decision after looking at services and amenities included in the price. Overall, I don't think you'll be disappointed at Wild Orchid if you're looking for a well-run, friendly and beautiful resort.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a full ocean view for your room.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Gary J
Our Very Valued Guest:

Thank you so much for taking the time to detail your time with us via this forum. Guest feedback is most welcomed as it provides us with an opportunity to review our current practices.

We are so very happy to note that our team members were able to meet your expectations and that you enjoyed our food & beverage offerings. We will of course advise our Food & Beverage Director regarding your comments on our drink offerings and will certainly implement changes where necessary once reviewed.

We thank you for providing us with the opportunity to be of service to you and do trust we will have the pleasure to be of service to you on a future stay.

Very best regards,

Breathless Montego Bay Resort & Spa
Zoetry Montego Bay Jamaica
Zoetry Montego Bay Jamaica
#17 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay? Share your experiences!