“Jerk or Jerk Chicken?” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Jerk or Jerk Chicken?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

A bit underwhelming i would have to say. When you go to a new place, you will always make comparisons. It's human nature. Previously vacationed in Cancun, Mexico so the bar was already set pretty high.
Having been to Montego Bay, i would like to say that i could tell you a lot about trips and the island............but i cant. We did not go on one trip in the two weeks and found ourselves confined to the resort all this time. Reason - wayyyyyyy too expensive. Trips that were cheaper and longer were shorter and three times the price here. Maybe we we are just getting sad and old but I dont see the value in paying $170 for two for 3 hour booze cruise and you have to pay for your drinks and food at Margeritaville!! I know these are trips and not the resort but its all on site so connected.
The room itself is fine however our room was the one infested with Mosquito's. Try to avoid room 1401 unless you want to try and beat my record of 110 bites ...........which was the total after the room was sprayed and fumigated.
We did get compensated slightly so thanks to Isabell for that. A light that shone brighter than the rest for sure.
Restaurants - All of a good standard but a bit samey. In Mexico we often managed to order something that wasnt on the menu. We got strange looks if we asked for chips sometimes!!
Bars are OK but you are limited to the Piano Bar at night and then its Desires nightclub from 10.30 onwards. All good fun but difficult sometimes to get served in the Piano Bar so waving any amount of dollars wont help.
Bites and poor value trips aside, the entertainment, free thunder and lightning show every day at 1 p.m. and the jerk chicken are all high points.
You might just have to make your own mind up on this one. There are certainly worse places but value for money just wasnt there for us!!

Room Tip: any room exceot 1401
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
1 Thank Robin F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,023)
Windsor, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Probably the sweetest, friendliest hostess/waitress you'll ever meet. She takes care of you, no questions asked with a smile on her face. Love love love her... she's beautiful and courteous,makes a stiff drink, my suggestion is a long island iced tea or a Bob Marley with vodka. Her beautiful coworker Shereece is amazing also, please take care of these two girls, we are definitely comin back to see them next year, they made our vacation.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

Just got back from my honeymoon at the wild orchard and all I can say is amazing. From the moment we stepped on the property we were pampered and catered to. I concierge, Colletta made sure that our are every needs were met. And I would gladly recommend that if you can go Preferred go Preferred. I woud nsay skip the 90 minutes of talk to get you to become a member. I wish I had a 90 minutes of my life back. The resort was very clean, food was excellent with a variety of choices. And they didn't even sweat you about not wearing the pants at the French restaurant. Top shelf liquor and plenty to spare. The entertainment was the usual lol Caribbean theme but hey I was in Jamaica. You must write a jerk chicken guy with the drum walking around it's the bomb. If you do the beach side dinner ask for Delroy as your waiter he is so nice and comes up with extra things for you. I appreciated his advice that gave a special touch to our honeymoon dinner. If you have something to complain about this place you are very pompous. The spa was fantastic the smells of the place very relaxing. I highly recommend this place and will be going back next year for our anniversary.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank unvme
Lebanon, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

From the moment we arrived we were greeted by smiling faces starting with Damion who carried our luggage and took us to our room. Kerry Ann put us in the most wonderful room giving us a free up grade to ocean front which brought my wife to tears when we walked in, tears of joy I should say. All the rooms even ocean view have a great full view of the ocean, there are no bad rooms.Everyone was so kind and attentive always smiling and happy and the service was the best we have had in all the resorts we have been to. The food was excellent especially the Italian and Japanese . The room service was prompt and the New York strip was as good as it gets. We will return here, something we have never done before with any other resort , because it doesn't get any better than this.

Room Tip: All room are facing the ocean with excellent views we were on the fifth floor everything was great.
2 Thank Rick E
Sayville, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

I'll start by saying that if I were rating this on the property & service alone, I would give it 5 stars. We stayed in the preferred club junior suite. I heard that honeymooners got upgraded for free, so I was hoping we would get a swim out room. Check-in was a pleasure, but we did not get the upgrade...and I am so glad! We LOVED our room. When we saw that the swim-out rooms were right out in the open (i don't know what I was expecting), I was glad that we we 13 floors up. We're honeymooners! Our balcony over looked the bay, and had a nice deep soaking tub. We were so close to the nightly entertainment that we heard music every night, perfect! The honeymoon perks were unbelievable. The dinner on the beach was amazing. My only complaint was the "liquid sunshine." LOTS of rain when we were there. We came back pretty pale. I wish the staff had more activities for rainy days. It rained from 12-5 for 5 out of the 7 days we were there. But we would just order room service and have a glass of wine in the tub on the balcony. So relaxing. My other complaint is for the Apple Excursions. We bought the Dunns River Falls/Swim with the Dolphins Package. It was torrential down pour at the Dolphin Cove. They refused to let us reschedule. Our experience was totally ruined, they couldnt even take our photos. I went back twice to the Apple desk in the lobby to ask if we could maybe have some of our money back because our experience was rained out. They did NOTHING to accommodate us. We spoke with our concierge, but there was nothing they could do. Other than that, we absolutely loved the grounds, food, beaches, and pools. We are hoping to go back for our first anniversary...just maybe a different month to avoid a rain out :)

Room Tip: Don't go for a swim out room unless you want to be seen by everyone. There is little privacy.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Elaina M
Blackwood, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

We recently had our HoneyMoon at Secrets, Wild Orchid (Preferred Club) Hotel this past September and it was AMAZING. The reason why it was so great was due to the warm and friendly staff. Jeffrey the Bell Hop, Erroll Jackson, Roydel Williams, Simone & Avion (the bar servers) delivered OUTSTANDING service at all times. If we needed anything at all, they went out of their way to accommodate us in any way possible. The atmosphere was so beautiful, relaxing, and happy. Everything was taken care of for us, it was awesome!!! We are definitely going back for our anniversary!

1 Thank Lauren D
Long Island, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

I am a Travel Agent so I tend to look at everything very carefully. Well I can say that this resort was WONDERFUL!!! From the rooms to the food to the drinks and to the most important part THE STAFF!!! We were a group of 14 and were all 100% satisfied with everything! When we arrived we were greeted bt Garfield-the sweetest man. He then lead us all to the Preffered Club where my entire was upgraded do to Mr. Huhn... A was given the Master Suite which was a beautiful spacious room.. I was also lucky enough to have the pleasure of have Butler Service-Michael,Patrick and Refreshina were all so terrific. They drew baths for all of my group and placed rose petals in the water.. Thats was a nice surprise! Each day they arranged our chairs at the beach with towels and a cooler of cold drinks at my request. They came to all of our dinners to see if we were OK and if we needed anything. They were very accomodating. Always had a smile!!!
We ate at Mexican,Italian,French and Seaside Grill. My favorite was the French! The service was unbelieveable! I believe we had Partick as our waiter. What a great guy! In the French we had Leonard. He was wonderful! He knew I loved lobster so he went to another restautant and surprised me with two lobster tails!!! What a treat!! They all go above and beyond for their clients!
As far is breakfast is concerned we had Lorenzo each morning and he was such a joy! One morning we were serenaded by the Jamaican Cowboy!!! What a treat!!!
The waiter/waitress service at pool and bar were awesome. We had Reshineda,Nadine and of course LEO!! Leo was lots of fun. He jumped in the pool in a TUX! Very personable man!! He went out his way to wecome each day!!!
I would also like to thank Isabel at Preferred Club. She is a like a friend to me. Everytime she saw me I was greeted with a huge hug!!! What a nice woman!!
Entertainment at night was so beautiful. You could sit outside the piano bar and listen to a band playing while a firepit was roaring in the background. What a nice way to end our dinner and evening.
I also was able to have treatmnets at the Spa. Of course they were great!!!!
I have been to Secrets Maroma and Capri in Mexico and I never thought I find another Secrets comparable. Well I did! What really makes this so special are the all of the workers. This staff deserves so much credit!!!
Thanks so much- I will be selling this resort alot in the future!!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Couples Negril
Couples Negril
#8 of 88 in Negril
4.5 of 5 stars 3,977 reviews

Been to Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay? Share your experiences!