“I'm ready to go back NOW!”

Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Ranked #10 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“I'm ready to go back NOW!”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

My husband, sister, and 3 friends visited Secrets Wild Orchid at the end of June. Let me just say, we are ALL ready to go back. I read a ton of reviews prior to going and I also have been following them on FB when they were starting to build this resort. This was my second time in Jamaica. I was really impressed with this resort. I'm easily skeeved out by any and everything and this resort never made me feel that way. The rooms were very clean. The bed was super comfy. I did not use the tub, but the shower was perfect. Room service was never a problem for us. Once it rained and my friends and sister joined us in our room. We ordered champagne, cocktails and fruit and it was all delivered within a reasonable amount of time. I still can't stop talking about Secrets Wild Orchid. One of my favorite perks was having my cocktails served to me on the beach. Fabulous! You may not get topshelf at the pool, but with a hop and a skip, you can go inside to the bar and get all of the top shelf alcohol you want, have them put it in a cup and take it outside. Wasn't an inconvenience for me. We had a really cute beach party thrown by the hotel which included all of the cocktails you wanted, food and music and a ton of fun. It got turnt up. :-) I really enjoyed staying here, because one of my memories from my stay the 1st time in Jamaica was of the locals hounding me to buy their beads, and bags. At Secrets, you never experienced that. They did have the basket lady on the premise once or twice, but since that's not my thing, I wasn't really paying attention to how many days she was there. The jerk chicken man was on the premise which was a nice treat. You really had access to all of the food you wanted and the drinks. I hate to sound like a lush, but having cocktails at your beck and call ALL day was major. Cocktails are served starting at 10:00am. The club was really fun. You can really act like a baller in the club and get all the drinks you want. (here i go with the drinking) Oh, we did one excursion because we just wanted to relax and not be on a schedule and just be lazy. So our one excursion was the Catamaran which you can either get on at the resort or if you miss that one, you can have the shuttle take you to the Catamaran. The Catamaran takes you out into the ocean where you can go snorkeling. That was a ton of fun. Again, all the rum punch and red stripe you want. :-) We stopped at Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville and grabbed a bite to eat for about an hour, then back on the Catamaran.

Ok, so back to more of the nice things on the resort. One night we had lobster night and let me say, i'm not really big on lobster (i'm a crab kinda girl), but that lobster was delicious. Believe it or not. The Japanese restaurant was great. You only need to make reservations there (Japanese restaurant) if you want the table where they cook the food in front of you. Yes that's the fun part, but we sat very close to them and with it being so hot in Jamaica, i'm glad we didn't sit there because boy do they sweat! G-Ross. Anywho, we ordered room service daily for breakfast and it was just fine. I actually liked the breakfast from room service better than the buffet breakfast.

The staff was really friendly. My bags arrived asap. I've read reviews about how the service is shotty if you don't throw in extra tips. I'm big on tipping and if and when i didn't, my service was the same exceptional service either way.

Our view was of the ocean and the pools. That was beach front enough for me, because it was just beautiful. They have peacocks and parrots on the property. The peacocks walk around, but the parrots are in a cage.

The AC worked fine. One time it went off, but that was because our balcony door was partly opened and it shut it off if it's not closed for a period of time. Once they showed/told us that, we never had a problem and our AC was crankin'.
With all being said, we will be back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank YOLOitUP

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,443)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
Charleston, West Virginia, United States
Reviewed July 30, 2013

My husband and I met several couples for this all-inclusive experience and immediately we felt warmly welcomed. Kareen, Carissa and Hopeton were so great to help us feel relaxed and excited about our five days in Jamaica. The resort attracts many young newlyweds and couples celebrating their anniversary who are definitely in the mood for love (it's called Secrets, afterall) but there is room for everyboby there. The location on Montego Bay is especially beautiful and the service provided by the attractive people of Jamaica is excellent with few exceptions. There is top shelf liquor provided but you have to specify that you want it (stoli, bombay, etc..) Their spa was suprisingly wonderful. We have experienced a Canyon RAnch spa and this spa was as great. The only draw backs for me were the two dinners at Blue Mountain and the Italian place. Those meals were pretty poor. The meals at the Japanese place and the French place were very nice. I would have loved some more fresh, made from scratch items, like pico, or salsa or guacamole...less iceburg lettuce and more greens. The food had a pretty processed, frozen taste to me. It might just be the reality of having to feed so many people everyday on the all-inclusive model. The Jamaican people live a wonderful life's philosophy that we can all learn from. Thank you for your hospitality!

Room Tip: The "preferred club" upgrade is not really worth the money unless you get one of those swi...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 30, 2013

My husband and I came back to stay at secrets and we were defiantly not disappointed.

We stayed in the preferred guest side again and the room was great with excellent quality amenities and a perfectly well stocked mini bar.

This time round we decided to just spend our time unwinding and enjoying the resort so didn't go on any big trips. My husband went on the hotel bike ride one morning and really enjoyed the trip, entertainment staff are all excellent and even more friendly and chatty than our first year.

The piano Man was great once again and we spent many an evening enjoying the pace band.

The reason I have given a higher star than last year is that for us the food had really improved on last year, little details like the ice cream machine by the pool table and the fresh carved fruit in the afternoon were all added bonuses from last year but in general we thought the food quality had got better.

We will defiantly be returning to secrets again at some point, if your looking for ultimate relaxation with a touch of luxury, minus being too stuffy then this is the place for you.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Winston-Salem
Reviewed July 29, 2013

My husband and I escape once every year for a luxury getaway to reconnect and recharge. The idea is simple: relax, renew and rejuvenate. We are not snobs but definitely enjoy good food, cocktails and above all service.

So our service nightmare began from the minute we arrived at the Secrets Wild Orchid resort. The front desk did an exceptional job of up selling us to an ocean front room. But when you are on their website they sell all their rooms as oceanfront....so that is incorrect information.

Once we checked into our room we found personal belongings from the previous guests. The towels were tattered and the single bathrobe in the closet had holes in it. We ignored all of this and sanitized the room ourselves as we did not wish to engage in negative communication on our vacation.

Room service is limited and horribly inefficient. Please don't hold your breath for your room service order and calling them about it does not help. Bottled water in the room is rationed at 4 small bottles per day and asking your housekeeper for additional bottles does not help as they ask you to call.....ROOM SERVICE!

There is no top shelf liquor available at the pool bars, even at the preferred pools. The staff at the St. James preferred bar is simply abnoxious. They expect you to carry your preferred room key card even if you are at the pool as oppose to asking you for your room number and verifying that in their system.

The cuisine is at best average: breakfast and lunch options are the same each and every day. The quality of the food is sub-par and the preparation is tasteless. The entertainment at night is poor and the staff is not cut out for the hospitality industry.

Please do not waste your money at this resort....you will be horribly disappointed.

7 Thank ServiceatitsBest
Wyandotte, Michigan
Reviewed July 29, 2013

My husband and I are very fond of Jamaica. We like the laid back attitude and would rather relax and rest on vacation. My guess is that some of the negative reviews are from folks who want a Manhattan attitude with a better view. If you want snappy service and snappy attitude don't visit in a country known for "No Worries!"

The people here make all the difference. Carissa Marsh (our concierge) was like an old friend immediately and helped us arrange trips off resort as well as get the best waterproof bandaid ever for a sore heal! Her smile lit up the whole front desk area. Leo at the Wild Orchid pool was both fun and amazing. He created several drinks just for our group that contained only fresh fruit and no sugar as two of our party can not use sugar/simple syrup found in most cocktails.

Food was the best all inclusive we have encountered. Presentation was very nice and the selection was good. The buffet style "World Cafe" had so much to chose from that we never got to try everything. The individual restaurants had great menu items and even when we ordered complicated combinations they didn't even blink.

The salad bar at Oceana is not to be missed both for lunch or dinner. Jerk chicken as mentioned so many times was amazing!

Water sports were also wonderful and helpful.

Three bummers: This resort allowed and encouraged tipping. Very big pain! Who has money in a swim suit? Add it to the price and outlaw it as most all inclusive resorts do. Then make sure you raise wages so the staff can earn a living wage without tips.

It seemed like the staff was asked to Americanize the experience. They used less Jamaican slang and were less authentic than in other experiences we have had in Jamaica. I know it is a fine line when you are offering upscale service but I come to Jamaica to see at least some Jamaica.

They need a recycle program. The plastic water bottles available literally everywhere (nice touch) were thrown away in huge quantities with the regular trash. This country is struggling with balancing environmental needs and feeding its people. Resorts such as this need to lead the way to a better world in this area.

Overall the best resort we have been to in Jamaica and we will return. (Build one in Negril Secrets!)

Room Tip: No bad room here!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Laura S
Southgate, Michigan
Reviewed July 29, 2013

My husband and I visited this hotel July 7th thru the 17th for the third time. We absolutely love this place. We wish we could just stay here once a month. The worst thing about the hotel is going home.
The room is still beautiful with the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. It was clean and well stocked for us everyday. Our housekeeper was on her game and I just wish I could remember her name. The mini-bar was also on point. I had my water and diet coke replenished daily.
The pool was so nice. The people attending to us at the pool also awesome. The drinks were not watered down. My husband made the mistake of ordering a double shot one time. That drink was way too strong. The pool was always clean. People do play the towel game and since I am an early riser I just joined the game. If we reserved our seats by about 0900, then we had no problem getting our spots. I brought my own inflatable mat from home, blew it up used it until we left and gave it away. I would suggest this.
The food was great. I ate so good. I can not think of a meal I did not enjoy. The highlight of our dining experience was the Himitsu. This is a must it kept us laughing. The food was really good too.
The piano bar was a favorite for us. The entertainment was also very good. The only downside was the beach party was rained out. It was a bummer but no fault of the resort.
I want to mention our favorite staff. This is just the list of people who really made our days. Stacey-Ann in the World Cafe. The manager Billy Love who brought our bags down himself, Hopeton, Jennifer and Orlando. Leo at the pool bar who does make an amazing Leo special. Then our favorites who we miss so much Kareesha (sorry about the spelling) and Simone at the piano bar. You two really mad us feel special. I have to say the staff is wonderful. There really wasn't anyone to complain about. Every single person made us feel welcome.
TIPS: bring mosquito spray and an inflatable

Room Tip: We like the first floor with access straight out to the pool.
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 28, 2013

When we arrived to Secrets Wild Orchid, we did not know what to expect but we knew we were paying a pretty penny, so we expected a lot. Firstly, Secrets works exclusively with Amstar for transfers so as soon as we got to Jamaica, we had a pre paid ($45) private transfer with Warren to the resort. The resort is secluded and is gated. I felt so safe immediately. My new husband and I landed at 11pm and were still received with great warmth. The bellman helped us with our bags and got us a drink (rum punch and red stripe) immediately. We were checked in within 15 minutes. We were then escorted to our room where we were greeted by a Honeymoon banner on our door. We then got comfortable in our gorgeous room with an ocean view on the 3rd Floor, and ordered room service (included), they have a privacy light and if you order food, it will go into the privacy box (awesome touch).

The Pool: Amazing & Comfortable/Ample Seating and Umbrellas
Towels are Unlimited and No Questions Asked.
LEO was the BEST Pool Waiter EVER! So Much Fun! Ask for the LEO Special.

Everyday the come with Jerk Chicken Carts by the Pool and Beach as well as Fresh Fruit Carts.
There is the Barefoot Grille that you have Self-Serve Beef/Chicken Patties, Nachos, Soda, and Beer. There are Barrels with Bottled Water all around.

Beach: The Best I have Ever Seen, Nice Not a Lot of Sand, but plenty of Seating and Umbrellas

Entertainment: Every night was amazing! Great Music/Shows! Water Zumba Monday-Friday Great Idea! Music (Nice Mix) ALL Day! Outdoor Game Room with Pool Tables, Ping Pong Tables, Giant Chess, Shuffle Board, and Giant Connect Four. Show great movies everynight in the shopping center with Popcorn. OMGGG! Soft Serve Self Serve Ice Cream Machine GREAT IDEA!

Food: Breakfast was the BEST! MARLON at the HIBACHI was OUT OF THIS WORLD! Drinks were great, gave you what you wanted. Great time! Room Service Could be Better, More Variety.

Housekeeping: Great and Consistent.
Laundry: VERY EXPENSIVE!

SUNDIAL(Daily Newsletter) was GREAT and ORGANIZED!

I did not feel pressed to tip anyone, no one pressed you for anything. No selling. Was Wonderful!

ALSO: Catamaran & Kayaking is INCLUDED, they will show you have to do it!

Room Tip: All the Rooms are Amazing! BUT Higher Floor Better View. Preferred Club might be worth the $.
1 Thank Concetta O
Breathless Montego Bay Resort & Spa
Zoetry Montego Bay Jamaica
Zoetry Montego Bay Jamaica
#17 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay? Share your experiences!