“Best staff ever!!!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
“Best staff ever!!!”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We just returned from the Secrets Wild Orchid resort. All I can say is "Jamaica has heart"! I have never seen a staff go so far out of their way to provide comfort and kindness to their visitors. I have seen reviews from people that claim they thought it was horrible food, service, etc. My comment to them would be "you are waaaay too spoiled". We encountered many pompous visitors that were quite rude to the staff and we were appalled by their behavior. My husband and I were so sad to say goodbye to the wonderful people that work there. The rooms were beautiful, the food was quite good for an all inclusive resort, the service was exceptional and the staff.....amazing. Also, please do not think that because it is an all inclusive you do not need to tip. Remember, the resort gets your money, not the staff. An average "good job" in Jamaica pays about ten bucks a day. They work six to seven days a week and start at around four thirty in the morning and don't go home till about ten pm if they work days. If you can afford the trip then you can afford to throw the bartender a buck when you go for a drink. You would not leave a restaurant in the states without tipping your server so don't forget these people. Overall, if you love to be pampered, enjoy genuine people and lovely surroundings, this is the place for you. You will leave with a smile and a strong desire to return.

Room Tip: If you like quiet surroundings and a guaranteed ocean view then choose the "preferred club"...
2 Thank BlsdB

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,353)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
Old Greenwich, Connecticut
Reviewed July 13, 2013

My wife and I just returned from a 9 day vacation at Secrets in Jamaica. We were there to celebrate our 60th birthdays and we absolutely loved it. While we stayed at Wild Orchid and had a great room there, we spent most of the time at the St. James main pool. We are non-smokers, and we found that we were able to avoid smokers more by going to the non-bar side of the St. James pool. We loved how the pools are set right by the beach and that you could go back and forth from the pool to the ocean.
The restaurants were great. Each morning the breakfast buffet at the World Cafe was plentiful and delicious. Not only that, but those serving you were so helpful and so engaging and wonderful. We particularly want to mention Shanell who not only got us anything we wanted with "No problem", but also was delightful in engaging us in conversation. We would specifically ask to be where she was. We also want to mention Oraldo who would serenade couples with love songs. A great voice, a happy face and enthusiasm made for him to be an extra attraction at breakfast. We ate each lunch at the Oceania over the Wild Orchid pool where you could make your own wraps. Narda in particular was always willing to give my wife anything extra that she asked for. The dinners were great- Had special buffets at World Cafe- Surf and Turf, Lobster Night. We loved eating at the Seaside Grill over the St. James Pool overlooking the pool with a great view of the ocean. Again the service was great- anything you wanted was met with "No problems". We loved Susannah who served us and was so friendly. Have to say that all the staff at the hotels were wonderful. They came to recognize us and always greeted us with a smile and with an attitude of that they were there to help you with whatever you needed and they were happy to be working there.
There were a lot of people who really took advantage of the all inclusive liquor and would be drinking most of the day in the pool. At the same time, while we drank more than we ever do, we also were able to just relax and just really enjoy a non-stress vacation. The scenery is beautiful and the grounds are well kept. Each night after dinner, we would sit out on the chairs just above the beach and enjoy looking out over the ocean and listening to the water lapping up on the shore.
Our room was great- 2nd floor of Wild Orchid- Nice "rain type shower" and great deep whirlpool tub. We were glad not to be on the first floor because I think that is less private. When we return, we will ask to be on anywhere from the 2nd floor up.
All in all, a great vacation at a great place. We look forward to returning. While it is expensive, the all- inclusive aspect and the wonderful features make it worth it.

Room Tip: Try not to be on the first floor.
1 Thank David K
Bossier City, Louisiana
Reviewed July 12, 2013

My now wife and I just returned from our honeymoon on the property. We checked in on June 30 and left on July 8, 2013. Overall is was a great honeymoon. First the good things, and I will admit I pay more attention to detail than others will. The resort is immaculate. There is no trash anywhere and and the grounds crew does an unbelievable job. The place is beautiful and its obvious how they keep it that way. It seems like there are 2-3 maintenance men working at all times on each building to keep it up to standards. We stayed on the preferred club on the 3rd floor for the entire trip. The room was very nice with a great view of the bay/ocean and the mountains. My two complaints about the room are the A/C, it just never seemed to get as cold as I would want it to at night and the bathroom. Younger guys if you are taking a girl down there to impress her for the week or weekend, she will love the resort, but be prepared, there is no privacy in the bathroom. This could be fixed by simply adding a full door in front of the toilet. This seems to be an issue at most secrets and maybe its just a cultural thing in America. Other than that, the room was great. I will say room service had a tendency to be very slow and they ran out of things frequently. Room service at Secrets silver sands was better. As for the food, and I love to eat, overall it was good. The French restaurant fondue was wonderful and we had it 4-5 times. The Hibachi grill was very good, great entertainment, but small portions. The Mexican restaurants fajitas were dry and only average. The steak and lobster at the resort was good, even on the buffet. One warning on the food, the deserts here are awful for the most part. What they call pie at the french restaurant is a gelatin substance that is terrible. The cheesecake is a spongy substance that isn't good either. If you like chocolate, my wife said the heaven and hell cake was amazing, so go find it at the place on the beach. She also loved the chocolate fondue fountain. If you can't eat chocolate, like myself, the deserts at the resort will live you wanting. This also goes for the pastries there at breakfast. overall they are pretty bad. However, the breakfast buffet is very good with custom pancakes, omelets and some really good French toast. Do not order a burger through room services or on the beach, they are not good at all. My last complaint was the wifi, this really did irritate us. We paid over 4500 for our 9 days there and they only let you put one device on wifi. That needs to be fixed.
The sailboat rental is a lot of fun and a definite do for 10 dollars. I also loved the Dunn's river falls excursion package with Mystic Mountain. Overall it is a very nice resort and after seeing some others on our excursion, it is definitely one of the nicest in Montego Bay

Room Tip: Preferred club gets you a quieter pool, but the room upgrade and the food down stairs really may not...
1 Thank J R
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed July 11, 2013

My husband and i traveled here in may of 2013. Prior to this trip, we stayed at another secrets property in mexico and loved it. we decided we needed to venture away from mexico (we LOVE it there!) and try a new destination.
traveling into montego bay was a bit of a shocker. we had heard that it is pretty rough, and it seemed to be so. i typically like to just hang around the resort anyway...so that's what we did.
the hotel itself is very pretty, although if you look deep, some areas look a bit run down. but nothing worth worrying about.
the lobby area is quite small for such a large property, but it serves its purpose. our room was great...on the top floor overlooking the pool and ocean. we had communicated prior to our vacation with the concierge via email and she was incredibly accomodating and nice! my only 2 complaints about the room would be the "fridge". it's NOT A FRIDGE...it's a cooler. so...really, nothing gets cold. if you get water or beer or whatever for your room, it will be lukewarm at best. i have to say i didn't like this at all. the second would be that the a/c would go off if there was no movement. i'm sure plenty of hotels do this and i understand why, but it made for some uncomfortable sleeping as you would wake up from time to time and have to flail around so it would kick back on!
the pool area is nice and we really had no trouble finding chairs our whole time there. the pool bartenders were fabulous and remembered us daily. not sure if that's a good thing or not ;)
my complaint here would be that there is a funky odor around the bar. i've worked in restaurants before and it kind of had that dingy yuck smell that i remember from my college days. wasn't anything we couldn't handle...but just kind of offputting.
the restaurants were all fabulous! zero complaints on food!
my last comment is that some of the employees (a few...not a lot) seemed like they didn't want to be there at all. they were not in any hurry for anything and had a bit of an attitude. an example of this would be, one evening, we were sitting in the lobby bar having a pre-dinner drink. we noticed a nurse (i assume by attire) and another employee WALKING casually out to the pool area. come to find out from some people we met, there was a woman out by the pool, completey unresponsive, who ended up having to go somewhere...hospital i assume, as she never came to out by the pool. to me...they should have been running out there! BUT... on the other hand....there were many employess that were absolutely wonderful!!!
overall....great hotel and vacation!

Room Tip: ask to be away from the birds! not sure what rooms they are by, but heard they were incredibly loud...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TytyH
New Milford, New Jersey
Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

We love it here so much, it was our second trip back in 6 weeks. My husband and I spent our honeymoon there in the middle of May (posted review) and since we both had off from work the week of 4th of July, we had planned to return. I contacted Christina Smith (online concierge) and she was so helpful as always. She was able to extend a great rate for us for our return. We were immediately greeted by Damien who immediately remembered us and was shocked to see us back so soon. He took our bags right to the preferred club so that we could check in and handed us each a glass of champagne and a cool towel. Such a nice touch. We were then checked in by our favorite front desk employee Sharol. We adore her. She's such a doll and made us feel completely at home. She always stopped to say hello to us and make sure everything was going well on our trip. We again had a fabulous room on the 4th floor (this time room 1416). I liked this view better then our previous room (1414) - the view was of the mountains and ocean front. Amazing. Much to our surprise, our maid was Natalie again. I can not say enough about her - she is the sweetest ever! She always took care of us and made sure our room was always cleaned when we left for the beach in the morning and would always leave us such beautiful towel art on the bed. She was off for a few days during our week long stay, and I have to be honest, the new maid that was filling in for her, wasn't the best...she always came late, never left any towel decorations on the bed, and never cleaned our balcony. We even requested for a aromatherapy bath that was included in our package and set it up for 8:30 one evening, whe we returned from dinner at 9:30 p.m, nothing had been done - no one came to run the bath for us. Not a big deal, but I was really looking foward to it. I did t even complain to the front desk about it, because I didn't want to be THAT person. We were there during 4th of July, and the entire resort out together such a great day for their guests. Everyone that works at Secrets worked so hard to put together the 4th of July production - they were up all night the big before putting the stage together on the beach. They had a parade, food outside and a dj and band play on the beach for everyone to enjoy. We even joined in of the group picture on the stage. Even though the weather was pretty much overcast everyday, we still had a great time. The best part of our trip was the catamaran cruise to maragritavill/snorkeling. We had such a great time meeting new people and really enjoyed the snorkeling. It was incredible. Do yourself a favor though, bring or buy snorkel masks because there is so much to see right on the beach at the resort. My husband and I snorkeled right off the preferred wild orchid beach and saw such amazing marine life - even a sting ray!!! I'm not going to get into the detail about the food because I discussed that in my last post, but the food really is good for an all inclusive. If you have any doubts about booking here, don't!!! Rest assured it will be even better then you thought!! We plan on returning in May 2014 with our friends. A HUGE THANK YOU TO CHRISTINA SMITH, DAMIEN, SHAROL, LISA, JOSEPH, NATALIE, and OUR FAVORITE, JOBIE (look for him - tell him Alan and Marisa sent you) thank you guys for making our 2 trips a life changing experience. We hope all of you love Jamaica as much as we do. It is now our favorite place on earth.

Stayed July 2013
1 Thank AlanMarisaTravel
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Just returned from a stay here. Well travelled, only stay in 5 star hotels, paid nearly £6,000 for 10 nights here for two of us with Virgin holidays. Chose the preferred club option.
Don't get me wrong it is lovely, it's right on the beach, a beautiful setting pretty much unrivalled I'd say. The hotel though is MUCH bigger than we were led to believe, they say you can use facilities at its sister hotel next door the Secrets St.James but actually the hotels operate as one! Both very large hotels, ALL the dining and entertainment is at the wild orchid for both hotels there is no separate dining at St.James. So there are a lot of people here.Bars and seating get packed early in the evening by the main stage, not enough seating for size of hotel.
Guests: mostly American (no problem with that apart from the fact they can be loud and not adverse to having conversations from their balcony to a relative sat down at the pool, in the "quiet" area! but personally I'd rather holiday with them than anyone else). , not too many English (like myself) and those were the nice English not the ones we all cringe about! Mostly though young couples on honeymoon so if you're over 40 you're pretty old here ( as we are!).
Staff: yes friendly but not particularly happy and enthusiastic, only a few went out of their way to be the "bubbly Jamaicans" we expected.
Service: overall excellent BUT we saw a waiter at the pool (preferred club) about twice a day only and then it took an hour almost for our drinks to arrive so we just went and got our own from the bar. Restaurant service was excellent.
Rooms: pleasant , spacious, we had a suite, not 100% clean as I'd have expected, maid service just about ok, robes we had were only one and a tatty orange thing I wouldn't put the dog on! Have had better suites but this is the Caribbean so furniture a bit dated as expected. Bed was superb...like sleeping on a fluffy cloud and spacious too.
Food: depends what you have previously experienced elsewhere I guess...we were in Mexico last year at ELDORADO seaside suites and this just does not compare. It was ok, probably good, few people were complaining about it though. It's a buffet breakfast and lunch which personally I hate with all the risks of germ contamination but we were fine (take your own hand gel, they don't supply it) the themed restaurants were ok, French one excellent and I liked the Italian one too. However, in the preferred club you could have breakfast there which was much better.
Bars: plenty of, no waiting, excellent supply and choice of drinks all day long.
Pools: a few dotted around, plenty of beds to sit on everywhere. Main pool is quite loud with activities...bit too 18-30 for us!
Gym: small for the size of hotel, I got in there by 6.30am as by 7.30 all the machines were in use! very nice equipment and lovely cold iced towels!
Preferred club: what do you get exactly for your extra money? I'm not so sure, especially as no one ever checked our room key to see we were eligible to be there, basically anyone could sit in the private pool/beach area and did. Anyone could come and eat in the exclusive lounge. The pool there was ok but very very small. We got bottles of vodka,rum and brandy in the room and a bag of M&ms every day so not sure where the extra money goes exactly. We were on constant display to visitors who were being dragged around the preferred complex in an attempt to sign them up to the time share they thing they offer there, that actually became quite annoying as it was every 5 minutes!. The preferred club at St.James was quieter and much nicer so we ended up there the last couple of days.
Overall: it's lovely, worth the money? No I don't think so...would be interested to see how much the Americans paid to stay there as they were mostly "kids" , for me six grand constitutes a luxury holiday maybe I'm just being picky but I feel we probably paid twice as much as everyone else there! I'd return as Jamaica is lovely but I would without any doubt book the preferred club at St.James (a couple we met had booked with Cosmos)...it's a long walk to restaurants but well worth it, there are two pools there, one is heated which is not necessary but still a nice option.
So if you've not done an exclusive resort go and you will love it, if you've been spoilt by an excellent one before you may be just a little disappointed.

Room Tip: Go to secrets St.James
4 Thank flekim
Maryland
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This was a wonderful resort!! The rooms are gorgeous and clean. The staff are also very friendly and helpful. Nadia was great at check-in and Kareena was wonderful at check-out. We stayed for four days which wasn't nearly enough. Cassie that does the entertainment at the pool was extremely friendly! We would go back to this resort.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better the views!!!
1 Thank lauratMD
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,043 reviews
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa

Been to Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay? Share your experiences!