“Everything I had hoped it would be!”

Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Ranked #10 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed July 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Secrets Wild Orchid at the end of June for our wedding and honeymoon. We had the most wonderful time. This was our first time in the Caribbean and our first time in an all-inclusive resort. We loved the happy go lucky, laid back attitude and unlike some of the other reviewers, we were not even asked about a vacation club when we checked in. We stayed in the Preferred Club and if you can swing it, it seems to be the way to go. The beach and pool in that section was much quieter and had a great deal less people than the 'regular' beach. Unless you plan on going to bed at 8 p.m., the noise from the live bands and other nighttime entertainment is really a non-issue. We had a room about as close to the entertainment as you could get and it always quiet by 10:30 p.m. Do take some bug spray for the evening. The mosquitoes are not terrible, but they do like to come out after dark. During the day, they weren't a problem. The weddings department did a great job of having everything set-up for us and I couldn't have been happier with our choice to get married and honeymoon here. Hope to come back here or to visit another Secrets Resort in the future!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TravelingPink
Write a ReviewReviews (7,139)

Reviewed July 6, 2013

We stayed at Secrets Wild Orchid at the end of June into July for 6 days. The weather was a little muggy, it was the rainy season, but it only rained 2 days during our trip. We stayed in the Preferred Club Master Suite/w butler service (Room 1407) which was amazing. This upgrade was well worth the price. The food wasn't quite gourmet, more average, except for Himitsu which was excellent. The veal at Portofino was really roast beef, very disappointing. Was expecting more of a Jamaican Flair when it came to entertainment, but it was more like 1980s disco. Service was excellent, everyone greeted you with a smile. All our butlers were outstanding, but Petorna was a step above.

Room Tip: If you can afford the PC Master Suite, it comes with Butler Service (You will not have to wait in li...
4  Thank Gdreams
Reviewed July 6, 2013

My husband and I just came back from Secrets Wild Orchid. We stayed for four nights and loved every moment. Our room was in the Preferred Club section of Wild Orchid which was worth it. The room was beautifully appointed, great rain shower, two soaking tubs, and an amazing view of the water. We snorkeled, kayaked, and laid out on the beach. Time seemed to move slower in Jamaica then it does here in America. Overall, everything was great. The staff were very friendly and helpful, the water was beautiful, and we never needed to rush to get a great spot on the beach. The staff was great about bringing us drinks, and the guide for snorkeling swim-out was a lot of fun. Thankfully, we were here for the fourth of July, which was so much fun. Wild Orchid also works hard to provide great entertainment. Our first night there was a singer with her guitar singing acoustic versions of Reggae music. I wish I knew her name because she was amazing. You should also check out the piano bar for sing-alongs. The musician was talented, funny, and highly entertaining.

Now for the cons because no place is perfect. Being a New Yorker, I cannot get used to the cigarette smoke. Though it wasn't as bad as other places can be, it is still disgusting. What was worse were the cigarette butts that people left behind in the sand when you went to use the lounge chairs. Though this is not the resorts fault, it is something you notice when you come from a state that doesn't allow smoking anywhere. The other con was the food. You would think that going to a resort in Jamaica that there should be plenty of fresh fish; we were wrong. The fish tasted frozen, pre-cooked, and extremely salty. I would completely avoid Oceana and Seaside Grill. They are not worth it. Surprisingly, our best meals were at Bordeaux and Portofino. The jerk chicken and fresh fruit carts were great, but you are not coming here for amazing food, you are coming here for the whole experience. You should definitely try Blue Mountain, the Jamaican food is delicious, you just need to be prepared to pick through bones and cartilage. The breakfast buffet was also quite tasty, you just need to pick smart choices. Again, the Jamaican food at the breakfast was delicious, especially the brown stew chicken.

If you are looking for a place that is a great value, beautiful water, plenty of activities, but the option to relax, Secrets Wild Orchid is the pick for you.

Room Tip: Preferred Club Wild Orchid is the quietest and most laid back of all four buildings. I would recomme...
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I just checked out of secrets and what an amazing experience. The people that work there makes the place extra special and alwaysaking you feel welcomed and special. They go the EXTRA mile to show how much they appriciate your business. Eventhough some people dont tip, they still give them the same kind of service as if that person tipped them already. I've notice this often in all bars and restaurants.

Restaurants are amazing. I loved every dish except for the jerk platter at blue mountain. The jerk thats on the cart every lunch time is hands down DI BES jerk! The jerk man by wild orchid has a fruit cart lady that brought me mangos and she was amazing too! She always remember me And slices me mangos when she got some.

Bars: go to st james at night and ask for a CRAZY. Lol! Its a good drink that makes u wanna go do the dirty.

Pool bars! Go to wild orchid and check out ALVIN LEO AND KEMAR they the best!

Ohhhh breakfast, theres this dude named O'niel and he makes an awesome iced coffee!

Ohhh and wild orchid side is the best side to be at! I stayed at 2503 and it was the est week of my life so far. I would wanna go back there soon!

YEEEEEE MON!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I selected this resort as a surprise for my wife on our 12th anniversary. I used Tripadvisor after searching many of the resorts there. We didn't venture out of the resort area at all and spent three nights.

Overall the stay was ok. We are well traveled both land and sea, so we had an idea what to expect. And a rating of "ok" is what I'd give this resort. I would consider going here again, but most likely will try another location.

Pros: Clean, professional/police staff, safe. Beach area was nice (the "preferred" beaches/area were nicer). Quiet (no plane noise, but do note one issue on Cons section). Definitely couples only. Restaurants were what one would expect - food was well prepared and fresh. Selection was average. Never a wait for a table (6:30pm - 7:30pm seating) and no reservations needed. Definitely an all inclusive. I was happy to see they really didn't enforce the "closed shoe's required" or "slacks required" rule they noted when we checked in in order to use three of the restaurants. So shots, non flip flop sandals were acceptable. Spa's were great, but watch out for the "coupon" gimmicks. As we guessed, you can only use some of the coupons on a limited basis. i.e. if you get $200 coupons you can only use $40 toward a $180 or $220 treatment, you really can't combine them. Other couples we met at the Spa also noted this and some felt deceived.

Cons: There are several here. By far the most disappointing was the entertainment selection. This was the 4th of July stay and we didn't expect a DJ blaring music from 12pm - 4pm. I mean this music was so loud we put a glass on our balcony and the water vibrated inside! The stage was directly in front of hotel on the beach and it was unbearable! Think of a college dormitory with your neighbor blaring low bass music and you get the picture. 80's and early 90's music and a very annoying DJ. We called management and there was a lot of confusion as to when it would end. Long of it, it ended at 4pm (partly I believe due to all the complaints I suspect as we spoke to other couples that just couldn't believe it was occurring either). If we had only known we would have either selected another resort or gone some place else for that period of time. Peace was restored at 4pm and it was again a pleasant place to stay. Later in the evening they had live entertainment in the same location, but the volume was much lower and an enjoyable 4th celebration - didn't expect the resort would be going so overboard for the 4th !

They indicated several major restaurants at the resort (5) but when we stayed they combined two of them into "one" for a buffet only service all three nights - which did limit our selection. Also, two of them didn't have AC - they were open and it was hot - so hot we had to leave one before being served (90F at least inside).

As noted above, be aware of the coupon gimmick. Yes you can save $20 or $40 but have to select an $80 25min massage or a $180 55min massage (or higher priced item).

Hot tubs seem to be in all the rooms. Ours had a bad odor (sulfur) when we started it and a beige scum appeared on the surface with the bubbles. We ended up draining it and the next time it was ok. I suspect it was just not used for a while.

One personal complaint - they have two beer selections - Red Stripe and Light Stipe. Like a Budweiser. So if you want something dark, amber or micro - you won't find ANY of it here...

So definitely consider this resort. If you don't want the jet noise at the ones near the airport (I mean less than 1000' from the airport!) then do consider this resort. the sister St. James is literally part of this one, you don't even know they are two separate locations when you stay there.

Room Tip: "Ocean view" means you can see the water, not "Ocean front". Some have railings...
Reviewed July 6, 2013

From our first greeting of "Welcome Home", to our last 5 minutes, the staff of Secrets was amazing. Dameon, Garfield, and Owen constantly made us laugh and we spent hours talking with them and enjoying the hospitality of the resort. The bartenders Kedeisha, Leonard, Marlando, and Alvin always greeted us with a smile and quickly took care of our "repeated" orders. In fact, the three mentioned above were very sensitive to my girlfriend's allergies and created a new drink just for her...ask for a Marlando when you go..you won't be disappointed.

Tia Maria, Chevy, & Troy from entertainment were amazing and looked for us everyday to talk. After chatting with Debbie on a walkie-talkie to explain to her why Tia and Chevy would be late (they were providing great customer service and laughs), we finally met Debbie at the July 4th Party.

Erica (a new employee) that provided fresh fruit treated us like family constantly. We looked for her each day and always made it a point to chat with her for awhile.

Our room was beautiful and we were upgraded to a suite when our original room was not ready. We can not say enough great things about this resort and is now our favorite resort in the Caribbean. We look forward to returning there and for returning "home" again.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

My wife and I vacationed at Secrets Wild Orchid June 18-25, 2013 and all I can say is WONDERFUL!!! We were upgraded to an oceanview room upon arrival when my wife mentioned to the front desk manager, Teanna, that my father had passed the week prior to our trip. Room 2539 had one of the most amazing views!! Every morning we woke up to a beautiful view of the ocean and the mountains in the distance. Along with the awesome scenery of the resort, the staff was just phenomenal. Tracey and Ryan(better known as the Jamaican Gingerbread Man) at the concierge desk were the highlight of our day. Shantal at Oceana was the best waitress there and Godfrey, the bartender in the lobby, was a blast!!

I must say that the grounds at the resort were kept up very well. They made sure the pool and beach area were always maintained for the next guest to enjoy. We never had to worry about seating around the pool or on the beach, because the staff was always making sure there wasn't towels on the chairs for too long. They also removed the empty drink cups from around the pool area constantly.

The food was good, not the most exquisite, but when your on an all inclusive vacation you can't expect it to be like a 5 star restaurant. The jerk cart and Oceana were the best places to eat. The chef's at the Hibachi restaurant were very entertaining, because even though the group at our table were a bunch of duds, our chef still did his best to make it an enjoyable experience. The entertainment was ok. I really enjoyed the talent show on Monday night and the live band outside of the Piano Bar.

Overall this resort was well worth the money and we will definitely vacation again with the Secrets family!!!

Room Tip: Higher floors have a better view. Room 2539 gives u a view of the ocean and the mountains.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple