“Not a place to go to if you want to have fun.”

Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Ranked #10 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Ottumwa, Iowa
“Not a place to go to if you want to have fun.”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I would like to give an honest review of Serets Wild Orchid. Each year my husband and I, along with another couple go to 3-star Temptations in Cancun, an all-adult, all-inclusive resort. It is reasonably priced, almost inexpensive at times, the food is great, rooms nice and clean, and the staff is wonderful. We always have a blast the 5 tmes we have been there. We have paid between $749-$1500 pp for 7 nights, air included. This year we traveled with a different couple and they felt that Temptations sounded too wild, so we went with them to 5-star Secrets Wild Orchid in Jamaica. Although I did have a great time with our friends, I would not choose to go back to this resort. I will make a list of pros and cons.
Pros Cons
Nice rooms Floors in room were very dirty, had to wear slippers provided.
Great amenities. Room 2404 right above cage of macaws. Squawking @ 5 AM!
Great beach Not enough chairs. Had to wake before 6AM to reserve one.
Clean Pool, but too deep. I'm 5'3.Water up to my ears @ swim-up bar. No chairs.
Great view Unless on ground floor.
Lunch and dinner buffet good Breakfast ok,long lines.
Jerk Chicken @ lunch great! Beach grill always out of food and sodas.
Many nightly restaurants No reservations, long waits!
Great room service. RS Only food available @ times.
Great dance club! Piano bar player was not good.
The resort had a very nice, friendly staff. Bellhops wonderful and helpful. Dameon Dobbs best ever! Stacie Ann cooking eggs in morning was a dear. Enteertainment staff, Happy Feet(Odane) was super nice and fun @ the dance club @ night, and during volleyball.The other 3 girls were another story. I'm not sure what the 3 girls did all day other than talk to people. Entertainment at the pool consisted of water volleyball once a day, and giant board games. I can play this with my kids @ home. Wait staff @ bars sere very slow and drinks never tasted the same. No chance of ever getting drunk @ this place, unless you waited on yourself. The rooms had energy saving devices and all night long our room had 2 lights that flashed on the ceiling and wall. If it detected no movment for a few minutes, everything shut off. Not good for our friend with a C-Pap machine. I feel that we paid way too much for what we got. We paid $2100 pp for a 5-star resort. I feel this resort should be more like a 3-star resort. The food was ok, daytime entertainment non-exsistent, and night time entertainment ok. The squawking macaws and screaming peacocks did not make our stay pleasant. Hope this review helps.

Room Tip: They were very unhelpful in placing our rooms together and reluctant to change rooms after we got th...
7 Thank KayJo1971

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,315)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
Guelph, Canada
Reviewed March 5, 2013

We were moved to this hotel as ours was overbooked for 5 days and were extremly impressed with this hotel.

Check in - the lobby is beautiful, there are 3 desks where you sit to complete your checkin which is efficient and fast. They also give you a full overview of the hotel and what is included

Rooms - the rooms are beautiful, nicely decorated with a huge bed that was so comfortable I am going to eamil the resort to find out the brand (I want it for home!), the bathroom is large with a stand alone jet bathtub, a seperate shower and 2 sinks. All the buildings are angled to get beach views from the balcony. They have this cool tiny closet like box beside the front door where they would deliver room service and you can leave the dirty dishes.

Pool - 4 pools althought not all are available to all guests. The pools are a good size and have swim up bars.

Beach - the beaches are small and once again not all are available to all guests. Regardless, there was space for all guests. I did snorkeling off of the beach and saw a few little fish and a few larger ones. They offer a free guided snorkelling tour off of the beach several times a day. You swim out to a reef about 10 min away. It was fun and I saw some interesting fish, I would recommend it. I also did a snorkeling tour with the hotel that was about 5 min away for $35. It was also great and I would recommend it. It was both shallow and deep and I saw lots of fish.

Resteraunts - I loved that you didn't need to make dinner reservations for any of the places. The meals were all good.

Staff - the hotel stands out not only for the upscale feel but for the staff. If felt like every staff memeber went out of their way to make our stay more comfortable and easier. Fantastic staff.

Nice touches:
-there are bins of cold bottles of wather distributed on the grounds
-towels: just take them when you need them and then throw the wet ones in a bin
-no wrist bands
-no reservations requried for the al a carte dinners
-hand towels vs. paper towels in the bathrooms: added to the upscale feeling

They do ask if your interested in attending a seminar on their vip program, its effectively a time share sale but without owning anything. The cost of the program is $120 per year for a minimum 30 year committment. If your interested in hearing about the program the sales reps aren't pushy and you do get to choose from a few promotional items (we choose a catamarn trip and the vip airport lounge).

Room Tip: We were in room 2546, its on the 5th floor so you get a good view and its not that close to the pool...
3 Thank Lilly_travelling_cat
Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 5, 2013

easy flight from phi, short ride from airport to Secrets , newer complex , good food, plenty of bottled water, room service any time at no cost. staff very helpfull & friendly a 5 star for sure. small cloth hand towles in the bathrooms rather the paper towles. we had fun getting a cab (lobby area)& exploring the country-side , small farms & blue mountains, jerk chicken. 10 days of sunny 22 lo & 29 degrees centagrade hi tempertures. scuba a extra cost but nice with only 2 to 6 divers !! largre comfortable bed.

2 Thank Blair S
SWO_STJconcierge, Manager at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear Valued Guest:

We are thankful to you for providing us with the chance to be of service to you and that we were able to meet your expectations.

It is always good to see a “little bit of Jamaica” and we are happy to know that you had the opportunity to explore outside of the resort, enjoying the country-side, Blue Mountains and food.

Guest satisfaction is of the utmost importance to us and it does our team members well to know that our service delivery was tremendous and trust that we will have the pleasure of hosting you once again.

Farmersville, Texas
Reviewed March 5, 2013

My Husband and I just recently Stayed at the Secrets Wild Orchid for 7 nights celebrating our 25th Wedding Anniversary and then were transferring over to the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall and so glad we did. We stayed in the preferred Club Suites and booked a Swim Out and we stayed in room 1118. Room was nice and comfy, but no privacy on the Balcony. The food was OK at best. Glad we stayed at the Wild Orchid and not St. James because this location is closest to all the Restaurants, Theater and Night Live!!! Seriously. Those staying at St. James had a walk.

We were disappointed in the wait staff for sure. We have stayed Secrets Capri & Secrets Maroma and found the staff to be a heck of allot friendlier and plenty of them. I swear we were at the preferred Beach and got drinks served to us all but twice a day from 10am to 6pm. It was unreal!!! You pay for the upgrade and would figure that they would have had more than 2 Servers a day on the beach especially at such high travel season and the preferred side. Which really only means: you can walk into the lobby of your building and make your own drink and get a snack. Seriously!!! It would be good if the Preferred side would have their own bar on the other side of the jaccuzi and offer food service on the beach & pool like other resorts do. Instead the wait staff would walk over the the center bar which was servicing 2 beaches and walk ups which took for ever for the server to get back to you!

On top of that as a repeat client and our fourth stay to Secrets they offered nothing special to us as we were celebrating our 25th which is a huge for todays society! Oh I am sorry my husband said they offered 15% off a spa package and we did have a cheese tray in our room when we arrived. Having said that I did email the resort several times to make sure they knew it was our 25th!! WE DID HAVE AN ANNIVERSARY BANNER ON OUR DOOR.

The staff was hit or miss at best. Most of them we found to be quite rude and very scarce. We went to the Piano Bar one night at 5:30ish were literally the only ones at the bar. Walked up to the bartender asked for 2 drinks and he totally ignored us for a few minutes. Not until another co worker walked up to the bar did he even acknowledge us. We were telling him what we wanted (which he never made eye contact with us) and he walked away and went in the back and blew us off after the other go worker left!! Unbelievable so we just left! We probably will NOT return to this resort after staying at the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall. SWO does NOT even come close the standards, service, food, or quality of Iberostar. If we did go back back to SWO it would be only for the Beach and Beach Beds which we liked.

We did book a couples massage which was great and ordered room service that night. We found the room service to be fast and the young man that delivered it was very friendly!! Best service we had there. Such a shame too because our experiences at the other Secrets is what caused us to book this Secrets Resort. They are all NOT the same.

Room Tip: High Floor has great views
5 Thank CircleB
Dear Valued Guest:

We thank you for taking the time to post your review to Trip Advisor. The details of your experience with us are most appreciated as it provides us with an insight to the quality of service delivered during the course of your stay.

It is with the expression of your concerns that we are able to review current practices with the aim of implementing the corrective measures necessary to ensure that our guests are fully satisfied during their time with us.

It is very evident and equally disheartening that we did not meet with your expectations and for this we cannot apologize enough for the disappointment and inconveniences you experienced. Please be assured that we are working assiduously at improving our overall service delivery and have every assurance that we will exemplify all the elements that are synonymous with the Secrets Brand at other locations in the short term.

Although the above does not change your personal experience, it is our hope that with achieving the stated goals and objectives, we will have the opportunity to rebuild your trust in us and the brand across Mexico and the Caribbean.

We thank you once again for highlighting the deficiencies and certainly appreciate your time and the expression of your concerns.

With thanks + kind regards,

Reviewed March 5, 2013

Our Honeymoon Vacation Resort- The view, phenomenal! The room, amazing! The staff, awesome! The entertainment... The best in the business! King Julian, Chevy, Cassie, Sassy, T.J., Happy Feet, Inch, and Moya are all so outgoing and friendly. We felt right at home on the resort. KiKi, her voice is amazing! She should have her very own segment on the resort. King Julian and Chevy are the best dancers I have ever seen! They definitely represent for Jamaica! I have a friend coming in May and a couple I know just reserved their wedding on the resort after seeing my pictures posted and getting feedback from my husband and I. We can't wait to come back. We had the time of our lives!!!

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank MrsSierra2013
Dear Valued Guest:

We thank you for providing us with the opportunity to be of service to you on your Honeymoon vacation and we are equally pleased that we were able to meet your expectations.

Your feedback is invaluable to us and we thank you for having taken the time to share via Trip Advisor.

We are delighted that you were blown away by the excellent service provided from our team members in the different areas of our resort and thank you for the recognition of our amazing staff members who always take pleasure in ensuring that our guests are well taken care of. This will be forwarded to the attention of our Human Resources Department, as we have an excellent Staff Recognition Programme in place, for their files to be duly updated.

It is indeed wonderful to hear both you and your wife had “the time of your lives” here at Secrets Wild Orchid and we are anxiously waiting for your return visit!

Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

This resort is a true five-star. It is right in Montego Bay and it is close to the airport which makes it quick and easy right after your flight to get the hotel. This hotel is beautiful the beach is nice the food is awesome! They really just go over the top with everything they do little things from the Monday night football on the beach to just gourmet food restaurant. The staff here are a lot of fun and they really do try to make you feel like you're at home. It even went as far as me leaving my wallet in the hotel room when I left the hotel and before I got home Already I had emails sent to my inbox saying that my wallet had been found and it was already going to be shipped back to me. All my money was still in my wallet which I had left up and up in the resort before I left the resort that day! I have traveled to over 20 places in the Caribbean this is definitely one of my favorite five stars for the money you pay an dollar for dollar a beautiful brand-new set up an state-of-the-art complex this place truly awesome resort really is!Thank you so much to the whole secrets TEAM , Awesome awesome time, You guys are true professionals In your industry, Much appreciation!

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank G-TOWN81
Dear Valued Guest:

We truly thank you for posting your review to Trip Advisor and we look forward to planned future visits. Feedback from our guests is welcomed as it provides us with an insight as to our guest’s experience. This therefore allows us an opportunity to review our current processes and implement the changes required to ensure that we are consistently delivering the best possible service to our guests in all areas of our operations.

Our team members make every effort to provide an incredible experience to our valued guests and it is really great that you enjoyed all elements of your stay with us. We are pleased to hear you were satisfied with the service provided when your wallet was left behind at the end of your stay and we are content in knowing you received it and you are truly happy!

Once again we appreciate your posted review, and thank you for making your vacation destination, Secrets Wild Orchid, Montego Bay.

Bolton, Canada
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We were staying at Grand Bahai Principe and it was overbooked so we were sent to Secrets Wild Orchid for 2 nights. There was six of us who went and we all wish we could of stayed longer. I can't believe anyone would rate this lower than a 5 star. The rooms were amazing (with the exception of the parrots who are way to noisy), the beds are very comfortable, room service which they put in the cubby at the front of your room, the showers and the lights were nice when you came back at night after turndown service.
Steps to the beach and a nice concrete walkway if you didn't want to walk on the beach. Just the right size for a resort.
All the staff was exceptionally friendly and we really enjoyed the dinners at the French and Japanese restaurant. Thanks to the staff at the French for bringing out a cake for my father's 80th birthday!!
Would recommend this resort to anyone !!!

Room Tip: Try to stay away from the parrots !!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank GEM10Barrie_Ontario
Dear Valued Guest:

We thank you for your kind review and we are happy that you appreciated the resort itself as well as our team members. As a team, we do our very best to provide all our guests with a great friendly atmosphere and exceptional service.

Consistently good customer service is of the utmost importance to us and it is certainly thrilling to hear that the staff at the French restaurant went above and beyond to make your father’s 80th birthday a very special one.

We are happy you enjoyed your time with us and we look forward to your return visit.

With much thanks and warmest regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montego Bay
#4 of 61 in Montego Bay
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites
Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa

Been to Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay? Share your experiences!