“Jamaican Paradise”

Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Ranked #10 of 64 Hotels in Montego Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed November 22, 2012

We stayed at Secrets Wild Orchid in April for 4 nights and it was a really great experience. The hotel is very clean and nicely decorated. It has a traditional carribean theme with dark woods, light linens and lots of natural stone. We were a bit hesitant to go to Jamaica but we ended up really loving the people and the scenery.

We stayed in the preferred club jr suite which was worth just for the access to the private beach alone. We felt totally separate from the other part of the hotel which was more of a busier party scene. We went over to the "other" side for lunch but that was about it. Our room was very nice but smaller or average. The bathroom and shower was very nice and the bed was ultra comfortable. We had a tub on our balcony which we never used and would have preferred just a bigger balcony!

The food was really really good. All the restaurants were all very nice. The house wines were awful and we paid for a few good bottles of wine. We had a couples massage at the Spa which was a wonderful experience. The Spa is very nice and relaxing. They had some great entertainment at night especially which the picturesque background of the Jamaican mountains. The bars were fun too! The alcohol was all brand name and delicious.

We did the private dinner on the beach (ours was in the private cabana) and it was the best experience. We were the only ones out on the ocean. Our waiter was very attentive and left us alone as much as possible and the food was amazing. We chose the surf and turf and it was the biggest lobster tail I've ever seen!

Overall, I would recommend this hotel for couples and this experience got us hooked on the Secrets chain!

Room Tip: Book a preferred room!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay

Reviewed November 22, 2012

We visited Secrets WO from 11/11/12 - 11/18/12 for our honeymoon and had a wonderful time. Excuse me if I ramble but I'm just going to comment on things as they come into my head. I'd also like to preface my review by saying that we're a 25 yr old & 27 yr old midwestern couple that wanted to a relaxing, romantic week but also wanted to experience as much culture and fun as possible.

First, a lot of people say to arrange your transfer from the airport to the resort before you arrive. However, we found it very easy, convenient, and cheap to get a taxi straight to the resort for $30. The transfer that the resort arranged at the end of the trip for the two of us was $40, so 'shop' around if you want to only pay $30 again.

Once you arrive, you are treated just like everyone on TripAdvisor says you are - with a warm "Welcome Home!", a cold towel, and choice of beverages. Our room wasn't ready at 1:30pm when we got there so we got a drink and some food and hung out for a little bit. Went back around 3:00 and the room was ready!

The rooms are very nice and modern in decoration. Some people have an issue with there not being a "door" to the bathroom area but we had no problem with privacy. (There is a door for the toilet though, so that's not weird). Two things I'd recommend though. The mini fridge was set on the warmest temp and that only kept the drinks inside a little colder than room temperature, so definitely turn the dial to high, so you drinks will be as cold as possible. Also, keep the fan running so your AC stays on. The thermostat is motion sensored so if you're away all day it might get warm in the room if the fan isn't running to keep the air on.

Everything else at the resort is very nice to exceptional. Just a head's up on pools though. The two pools with the swim up bars are heated so they're always a little warmer than the others. The swim up bar at Wild Orchid was always pretty busy but never unmanageable for the staff or if you wanted a drink. Andrew, one of the pool servers, is awesome and fun, so if you just want to sit in your chair and be served he's the man! The service does take a while sometimes though, so don't expect fast service.

Actually, in general, don't expect fast service at the bars or restaurants. If you go in with the expectation of lightning fast service, you'll be disappointed. The Jamaican attitude of "Yea mon, no worries mon" is definitely a chill, relaxed attitude and I'd say it's reflected in the speed and timeliness of the service. Please don't get me wrong, because the customer service and staff is amazing, it just took a while sometimes for drinks to come or dinner to be served. Not sure who that falls on but the attitudes and personalities of the staff make it all good. :)

The entertainment during the day and night was great! I'd say this was one of our favorite parts. Everynight there is some sort of show or contest or party. Some of the entertainment that we experienced and would recommend includes Shyam Moses (incredible voice), the steel drum band, the "circus", the talent show, and definitely the piano bar sing-a-longs. Shane is one of the piano players and he is incredibly fun and talented! Andrew behind the bar is also very personable and fun. If you go, ask Andrew to make you an Irish Assassin shot. :)

Dinner is hit or miss and really a more of an individual experience than anything else. We'd go somewhere and get something we really liked (the grouper at Bordeux) and then go back later in the week and it just wasn't the same. Overall, though, the food is pretty good. We'd recommend Portofino (Italian), Bordeux (French), and Himitsu (Japanese/Asian). Two other tips - Definitely make reservations of the hibachi grill at Himitsu early in the week. Reservations fill fast and it is an memorable experience. Also, the World Cafe buffet has a Surf & Turf night (Lobster, steak, etc.) so make sure you get to that if you like those things.

Lastly, the service and staff is incredible. Almost everyone that walks by you will say hi or 'how you doing mon". The servers at the restaurants were all good, the pool staff is great, and the bartenders are all fun and engaging. Quick note on the bar and drinks - most of the drinks they make are relatively 'weak', but they have no problem adding a shot or two, just ask. By mid week, everytime we ordered something we'd ask for an extra shot in it. Some drink recommendations: Dirty Banana (our favorite), Miami Vice, Bob Marley, & an Iceberg (it's a beer drink).

Had a wonderful trip and would recommend this place to anyone. Hopefully we'll make it back!

3  Thank Brian C
Reviewed November 22, 2012

This was our first time to Jamaica and this resort, and we can't wait to go back! The Staff and food was amazing! The rooms are nice, the beds are a dream! We felt so at home thanks to Bruce, Cassy, Happy Feet and the rest of the Entertainment staff. Going snorkeling on the Island Dreamer Catamaran was a blast, their staff on the boat was great also. So much to love about our trip!!

the only downer is you have to pay for internet if you are not preferred :-(

Room Tip: They are all great!!
1  Thank arose47
SWO_STJconcierge, Manager at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2012

Dear Valued Guest:

We are so very happy to note that your first time to Jamaica and to our Resorts was such a wonderful experience for you and we are extremely pleased that our overall service delivery met with your expectations!!

As we have a very active employee recognition program, we are glad that you have indicated the individuals who contributed positively during your time with us which we will be forwarding to the attention of our Human Resources Department so that their files can be updated.

We do look forward to being of service to you on your next planned visit.

Warm regards,

Social Networking / eConcierge

Reviewed November 22, 2012

We are waiting at the airport now for our trip home. We stayed from November 17th till the 22nd. Wishing right now it was a 7 night stay rather than 5. I read every review on trip adviser for the 6 weeks preceding our stay. I had a very clear understanding of what to expect. I was almost worried I was too excited and might be disappointed. That was not the case. Every picture every amenity every service person every everything, just exactly how it was explained.

We had a champagne breakfast one day and breakfast room service one day. The room service was better. Other days we ate at the world cafe buffet. Nothing was forgotten on that buffet. Great job. Lunch was hard for us. We didn't like the wraps at Oceania and we didn't like the food at seaside either. We ended up eating jerk each day and stopping by the barefoot grill to fill in when hungry. We did get lunch room service one day too and that was not so great. The hotdog was weird. Dinner was amazing at every restaurant we went to. We missed el patio the Mexican restaurant because it was taken over by the buffet for ribz night. That was not impressive, but it was what you would expect for a dinner buffet. Drinks were kind of too sweet and not very strong. We ordered extra shots in the frozen ones for sure and less sweet for the mixed ones. They add lime syrup and pineapple juice to most drinks. My favorite two drinks were the dirty banana with extra rum cream and the Jamaican smile with extra cream de cocoa. The wild orchid piano lounge made the best straight drinks. We got our vodka tonics and White Russians there.

The entertainment was just the right amount for us. I liked the daytime activities. I made a bracelet and watched them tie die t shirts. We went on a nature walk and learned about the plant life and some sea life. I took part in sunset yoga. The best experience ever. The water crashing around you. The sun setting. Just perfect. We watched a movie one night in the courtyard and had a coffee drink from the cocoa lounge. Nice night. The center stage always had a nice show. The steel drums were the best. We are not party people so the nights ended for us before the dancing at desires started but that didn't bother us at all. We were up early to get a good spot at the pool and find a float for the day. Oh we also did the shopping trip. Cool, but very overwhelming. Very. Those women in that craft mall are pushy and tough. We spent 60 dollars in like 30mins. We did get good deals, but it was too much for our relaxed state of mind.

Lastly our room and service. The room was cool if we had the patio door closed and we were right on the ocean. We paid for the preferred club and were glad we did. The free wifi worked good, kinda slow, but good. The housekeeping did a nice job and paid attention to our coming and going to be sure to fit our cleaning in during a convenient time. We loved the lounge area and special apps they had for preferred club. Every time we went to our room we checked out the selection. It was never the same. Good too. There were full size bottles of booze in our room because of the preferred club. One vodka, one brandy and one rum. Nice to make your own drinks in room. Service around the property was good. We didn't stay in one place to long so we didn't get to know names. We tried both pools, both beaches all restaurants and all bars. Everyone who helped was good. I'm sure if we had bellied up to one spot we would have had better service. We tipped if we felt like we were asking for some extra. Or if service was extra good. Overall we gave a buck here and there for every 2 drinks. 5 or 10 for dinner. Nothing for buffet service. 5 for room service and 20 for housekeeping. Didn't have to at all, but wanted to.

I think that does it for my review. I KNOW I will go to secrets again. Maybe Mexico next time just for a change, but would tell anyone they should stay here for sure.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nicole C
Reviewed November 21, 2012

It was like paradise! My husband and I usually go to Mexico and decided to try something different. We both loved it, it was one of the most relaxing vacations we have ever had. Rooms were great, food was very good, drinks weren't watered down. Everything was clean, the beach was picture perfect. The staff was amazing and fun, very interactive. Close to the airport so your not riding in a hot van full of people forever. Only thing we could find wrong was there was no free internet, any place we have stayed before has at least offered it in the lobby. We will be going back!

1  Thank Shari P
SWO_STJconcierge, Manager at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

Dear Valued Guest:

We are happy that you decided to visit our lovely resort. Our team is filled with much pride that we were able to provide you with the nice relaxing environment that added to your stay being a good one and glad to know that you enjoyed everything. As we constantly are reviewing and improving our processes, I can assure you that the Wi-Fi service is high on the list of priorities.

Looking forward to your next visit!

Warm Regards,

Social Networking/ E Concierge

Reviewed November 20, 2012

Me and my now husband got married there last wed. The hotel was amazing and the hotel staff was awesome!! The property was perfect and the hotel wedding concierge were so helpful!!! Couldnt have asked for a better wedding and hotel stay!!! Ask for Dameon the bell boy he was beyond helpful!!

2  Thank Alexa M

Dear Valued Guest:

A wedding at Secrets Resorts Montego Bay is really a beautiful experience and we are happy that you were satisfied our services provided. It is our hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back Home for your anniversary and other future visits.

Warm Regards,

Social Networking/ E Concierge

Reviewed November 20, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed for the 2nd time at Secrets Wild Orchid from September 15 – September 22, 2012. This is now my 3rd trip to Jamaica. I chose to go back to this resort because I felt like no where else in Jamaica could compare. Last year we fell in love with the resort and this year it was even better. Last year we felt there were a few little things that the resort and staff could improve on… to our surprise all of those things were fixed this year! Secrets was able to exceed our expectations again!

We were welcomed with a bottle of wine and fresh fruit with a note thanking us for returning to the resort. We were able to order a bottle of champagne that was delivered to our room upon our request, as well as a champagne breakfast which worked out nicely for our last day

Last year we felt that there were not enough activities or enjoyable entertainment on the resort, especially in the evenings after dinner. This year they had a lot of fun things to do during the day and there was some kind of nightlife going on every night. The things that we enjoyed during the day were the bracelet making sessions, the hermit crab races, and the jumbo jenga in front of the pool. They added a darts board, a dominoes table, and a checkers table on the beach. They also set up an area to play badminton. One evening there was a circus show which was beautifully set in front of the ocean. In that show there were acrobats, fire throwing dancers, and knife jugglers. Another evening there was a steel pan band and dancers… I believe it is the same group from last year and apparently they tour all over the Caribbean. The steel pan band was very impressive and entertaining. Another night there was a beach party which was the highlight of our trip. They had a huge stage with a live band and dj. They had a fully stocked bar and a canoe filled with self serve soft drinks. At the party, a huge bon fire was lit on the rocks in front of the ocean which was beautiful. There was also a fire dancer who was extremely good. I just wish the party lasted longer but it finished at 10pm and then everyone was told they could head over to the Desires Music Lounge for karaoke and a dj to follow. This year the disco was open every night which we loved because we love to dance and party. From Sunday to Thursday they started the night off with karaoke and then around 12am the dj starts. My complaint about the disco is that they play basically the same music every night and it got boring and predictable. This is the same for the Piano Bar in Wild Orchid… the piano had a few preset songs that played over and over again. If they expanded the selection, the Piano Bar would be more interesting to hang out at.

The service has improved quite a bit. Everyone seemed to be a lot more pleasant and friendly. The staff did little things that went a long way which impressed us. Kimone at one of the lunch restaurants served us the first day. I told her about my food allergies and she went through the menu with me to show me what I would be able to eat. When we went to the restaurant again she informed our waitress each time about my allergies. Another staff member impressed us but I can’t remember her name. She was the lady who was taking reservations and organizing the dinnertime seating at the El Patio restaurant. She shocked us when she remembered our names and welcomed us the 2nd time we went to dine there, especially since we didn’t have a long interaction with her the 1st time. We have a few favourites who were able to make our trip enjoyable for the 2nd year in a row: Kevin, Omar, Joseph, and Everet, the housekeeping maid, and the man selling hand carved wooden items on the beach.

A few other things were greatly improved this year. The housekeeping maid was accommodating with the times that we preferred our room to be cleaned and she went the extra mile by leaving towel art decorated with rose petals a few times on our bed. Another night the maid came for turndown service and saw that the room was clean because we did not use it all day. So she drew us a hot bubble bath decorated with rose petals. I quite enjoyed that after coming home from our Ocho Rios Dolphin’s Cove excursion. The mini bar was well stocked everyday this year and the secrets box was cleaned everyday as well (last year it was not consistently done everyday). We loved the new Barefoot Grill that they built this year. It has self serve beer, soft drinks, nachos, hotdogs, and our favourite patties all day. They never ran out! They now have build-your-own wraps at one of the lunch restaurants, which tasted great!

Our only issues were that the beach had a lot of jelly fish. Also, there was a lot of noise outside our rooms in the morning with the staff talking which made it difficult to catch up on sleep after a long night. This year there were a lot of mosquitoes in our room. They were there upon our arrival. We killed so many of them and were getting frustrated because we kept on getting bitten. We called down to front desk who promptly sent someone to spray the room but we decided not to get the room sprayed because we didn’t want to be breathing in the toxins. After a few days there were not many mosquitoes left because we always kept the balcony door closed and killed most of them. We were on the 5th floor this year and last year were on the 2nd floor. I’m wondering if the higher rooms get more mosquitoes because they spray the grounds which maybe force the bugs to go up. The room service menu could have been better but the service was great.

We hope to come back again soon and look forward to seeing all of the great staff!

Room Tip: Higher floors seem to have moquito issues compared to lower floors that are close to the areas being...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall
Zoetry Montego Bay Jamaica
Zoetry Montego Bay Jamaica
#16 of 64 in Montego Bay

Been to Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay? Share your experiences!