“A great place for a holiday”

Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Ranked #10 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Toronto
“A great place for a holiday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

The hotel is wonderful. They have 9 different restaurants all different with different menus.
The beach is wonderful and soft with a few rocks in the sand as you go into the water. Adults only was very nice.
The beach is not as good as Varadero Cuba in terms of swimming but is does get up to 5 feet before you hit a reef.
Overall though this hotel was a winner and we will go back. Everyone was happy to be working at the hotel and everyone had a smile along with singing waiters and fantastic shows that we have not seen on any other island and we have been going to all inclusives since 1976.
The room was great with an in room jacuzzi.
Just don't get taken in by the offer of a never ending vacation. You spend 90 minutes talking to 5 different people. The bottom line is it will cost you a one time fee of between $16,000 to $23,000 with a year fee of $120. If you want this you have to sign that day with no way of checking out the company. The people doing this were not pushy and indeed as soon as we said we were not interested they thanked us for our time.
You may not even be asked about this and certainly no one came up and bothered us on the beach or anywhere except at the front desk concierge.

Room Tip: Try and not stay on the side facing the restaurants, late at night and at 6 in the morning the staff...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Wayne24

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,319)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
Newtown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

I spent 5 days at the gorgeous Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay this October. The transfer from the airport took less than 15 minutes and check-in was a breeze. I had a 2nd-floor room with a balcony overlooking the pool and the ocean and the lobby bar a few steps away. The rooms were clean and spacious with every amentity available. I appreciated the quiet, relaxed atmosphere of the property. The beach was so close to the pools and restaurants with everything centralized in one area.
The service really made this trip fantastic. Everyone I encountered was friendly and hospitable and went out of their way to make every day exceptional. A truly great staff makes this Secrets resort stand out from the rest; this was the 4th Secrets property I have vacationed in and it exceeded my every expectation. Kerri Anne at the Barracuda Swing Bar was the single best employee I met. She was courteous, jovial and a true pleasure to see every day. Room service was quick and housekeeping did a great job cleaning up after me.
The staff in the restaurants were attentive and the food was delicious. Every dining experience was great, from the coffee martinis made tableside at breakfast each day to the singing chef at the teppinyaki. I loved the outside tables at each restaurant that allowed the beach breeze to be felt while enjoying a fabulous meal. The cuisine was varied so there truly was something for everyone. I am not usually a fan of the breakfast buffets but this one was large with dozens of hot and cold options and a mimosa to greet us as we waited to be seated each morning.
The pool areas were clean and spacious and the beach was immaculate with comfortable chairs and seating areas. The clear turquoise water and powder soft sandy beach was a tiny bit of heaven. The drink service at both places was lightning fast and refreshing. Tons of umbrellas and rafts available as well as clean towels... and no towel cards!
There was always pool activities during the day, music outdoors at night as well as a DJ in the club area. We watched a game show one evening, karaoke the next and a beach party with live music and cocktails under the stars. The spa was beautiful and relaxing; a must-see, even if only to experience the hydrotherapy circuit. I scheduled my services on our last night to end the trip on a tranquil note.
There was nothing this place didn't offer. I had a wonderful vacation and I hope to return in the future!!

Room Tip: Higher floors offer an unobstructed ocean view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Luv2Wine29
California, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I traveled to Jamaica with 5 other couples from Oct 28th-Nov 2. This resort was amazing! It's only about 10 minutes from the airport. The bus driver gave us a history lesson about Montego Bay on our way to the resort. When we arrived check-in was a little confusing but we just sat at the bar and had a Bob Marley drink (NO PROBLEM). It's hard to get six rooms next to each other but they were able to accomplish this with little delay. If you can get the 5th floor do so because the view is awesome! The rooms are beautiful and the beds are soooooo comfortable! The food was great! The pool was beautiful and the grounds were well maintained. The beach is man made and therefore their our lots of rock as you walk in the water. Bring some water shoes to keep from cutting your feet. Also bring snorkel gear so you can snorkel by the large rocks at the beach. All in all, the was a wonderful place to stay and I would highly recommend it. Jamaican people are so happy and they treat you like family:) I almost forgot, If you need anything before you get to Jamaica call the hotel and ask for Simone in the concierge department. She was very helpful.

1 Thank mg64064
New York, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Simply put, it was everything we wanted for our honeymoon - great views, great beaches and pools, friendly smiling faces everywhere ready to help you with whatever you want/need, and a crazy comfortable bed in a beautiful room.

We spent our days on the beach and by the pools, waiters checking in every 15 minutes. Barracuda bar, then dinner, then the piano bar was the nightly routine. I can't recommend this place enough.

Room Tip: The "Preferred" upgrade gave us the option of a quieter pool and beach, food and drinks in...
1 Thank colin417
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

I will write a full review later, but this particular part needed immediate attention. After staying over a week at Wild Orchid Preferred Club, our housekeeping attendant, Nathalie, went above and beyond. I left quite a bit of stuff in the room on purpose when checking out. She called down to the desk to make sure that we had not forgotten these items, and we confirmed. Then, as we were almost all the way to the main lobby, she ran up to me (from 4 floors up, and pretty far down the hall), to give me my iPhone. She knew I didn't intend to leave that. She could have kept the phone and caused me a huge headache, but she didn't. Take care of your housekeepers!!! You never know when the favor will need to be returned.

1 Thank travelbuddies11
SWO_STJconcierge, Manager at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear Valued Guest:

Honesty is certainly an invaluable trait that we treasure especially among our housekeeping staff. Your review of Nathalie’s commendable effort to return your left items to you has not gone overlooked and will be noted to her record.

We do hope that we will have the opportunity to host you for future visits and create many more wonderful memories for you.

Kindest Regards,

Caulette
Social Networking eConcierge
Oakville, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

Arrived home from our stay at Secrets Wild Orchid. Can honestly say it is the best place my husband and I have every stayed. Everyone is super friendly, the food was incredible, super super clean. Always a surprise in store, whether the roving coffee cart or jerk chicken cart. The entertainment was great. Room service incredible. Our maid Sheryl made our day everyday with her meticulous cleaning and towel art. The staff are so incredibly warm, some truly outstanding staff including O'Dane and Good Vibes from "Entertainment", LeRoy and Orlando from the World Cafe, and Kemoy who sat us at the Pool Side in the Oceana Restaurant. We would go back in a heart beat. Sad to be home in cold Canada.

Room Tip: We stayed in the junior ocean suite and LOVED the room. The beds are incredibly comfortable, never s...
1 Thank Lee-Ann C
Pittsburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

We had a wonderful stay at Secrets Wild Orchid from October 23-29. When the Secrets Montego Bay Resort opened in the summer of 2010, my husband and I stayed on the St. James side of the resort and had a lovely time. It was great to see that the landscaping had "filled in" and the flowers, trees and shrubbery were gorgeous! The design of this resort is beautiful and the hardscapes and softscapes are warm and inviting. The care with which all are maintained is clearly evident and the grounds crews are among the many friendly staff members there.

From the moment you are greeted in the lobby, the staff provides the utmost care, concern, professionalism and service. Check-in was a breeze and all the staff warmly welcomed us. Cool cloths and drinks were in hand immediately. Jeffrey is one fabulous guy. He showed us to our fourth floor room in the Preferred Club and made sure that we knew all about the features. Each time he saw us from that moment on, he sang to us and showed us the most wonderful hospitality. What a personable fellow! We will look for him on our next trip, that is for sure.

Hurricane Sandy was approaching on the day that we arrived but we were kept abreast of the movement and the plans in place for the actual hit on the island. The management team and other workers were all very prepared and the care and concern shown to the guests was warm and genuine, especially while they had to be concerned about their own homes and families. The guests were asked to attend update meetings and a safety plan was executed when the storm was on the island. The guests went to the ballrooms with movies, games, food and drinks with updates throughout the afternoon. Without a doubt, the service for the hundreds there was still excellent. We even had some back massages! As a "nervous Nellie", I can't believe that I was as calm as I was, but my thoughts were concentrated on how thankful I was that the brunt of the storm spared us and the many fine people at the resort. The modern facilities, self-sustaining resort capabilities and all the latest technology all helped in the secure feelings of the guests. As far as the preparations are concerned, I can't imagine that any management team could have done a better job. Extra compensations have been truly appreciated by the guests and I am sure that many are already planning their next trip.

The fourth floor room was beautiful with lovely decor and comfort in mind. It wasn't possible to pack the bed and comfy bedding, but I surely wanted to do so. Catching my attention was the use of indirect lighting and the vaulted ceiling above the bed was a stunning addition. To say that the room was immaculate is an understatement. We appreciated the turn-down service and extra clean towels in the evening. The refrigerator was well stocked with our preferences. Though we are not much into alcohol, we did have our choices of soda, juices and water (our choice).

Outside, the lounges were plentiful and though not many were on the beach due to the hurricane and high waters, there were enough throughout for all the guests on the upper part of the beach and around the pool areas throughout the St. James and Wild Orchid sides of the resort. Towels were easily found and the wait staff was amazing, especially Kerry Ann. She had such a warm personality. While a cooler of iced bottled water was just a few steps away from us, it was really nice to have the occasional cocktail delivered to our lounges. The water was crystal clear in the pools and the water in the ocean became the same once the storms cleared. The fellows working on the beach areas did a superb job of raking the sea weed and debris washed ashore during the storms. Their proactive measures to "ready" the property for the hurricane and their work ethic in the clean-up measures cannot be overstated. Excellent.

Remembering the spa...ahhhh! It was fabulous! The hydrotherapy before the massage is a must! I have never enjoyed the Swedish massage more. Locker areas, lounging areas and showers are immaculate and staff members are constantly checking to see if you need anything or if you are comfortable. Their guidance throughout the facility was greatly appreciated. Ask for Patricia, as she is one of the best massage therapists ever!

As for the dining, let it be said that we recalled specific meals from our first trip and we were not disappointed. Breakfast at the World Cafe is a favorite for us. The chefs working behind the scenes do a fabulous job and the personal service is most appreciated. Friendly smiles and conversation just make everything taste better! I would love the recipe for the French toast brulee. Oh, my goodness, wait until you taste it with a little banana sauce or minced fruits! Everything for an omelet was available and the staff was only too happy to make what you wanted on the grill or direct you to a fine display of multiple breakfast foods. Also at the World Cafe, we found the pasta station to be a great addition to the lunch buffet. The personal service there was appreciated and we found that we preferred that location for our mid-day meal. Among the dinner restaurants, we still prefer Bordeaux for the surf and turf and the most delicious French onion soup, and Portofinos for the amazing lasagna. Gentlemen are reminded that long pants are required in these places for dinner. Dinner buffet at World Cafe on surf and turf night is good with lobster tails, steak and many other options.

You should make sure that your vacation includes a Thursday night. While there is entertainment each night, Secrets Got Talent was held Thursday night in the air conditioned Show Time Theater. This competition was among guests and the top three won prizes of massages and vacations back to Secrets. It was most entertaining and the talent was amazing. The resident band is "Pace" and they can play anything! Well done. Other types of
entertainment included movies, audience participation "game shows", and music. Don't miss the Circus which was amazing! Throughout our stay, the water sports were not operational due to the severe weather, but on our previous trip to this location, we used them extensively. We had hoped to take a trip on the glass bottom boat and on the kayaks, but it can wait for our next trip.

Take walks throughout the property in the morning, afternoon and after dark. You will notice different things at different times of the day. I love the indirect lighting and the attention to detail and the ceilings in each of the buildings. Notice the design elements that bring life to this property, but most of all notice the friendliness of the people, the warmth of their smiles, and the comfort the surrounds you here. Among our favorite staff members, let me again acknowledge the following staff members...
Venese and Michael at the front desk of Wild Orchid Preferred Club
Lavena and Kimberly at the Concierge Desk of Wild Orchid Preferred
Jeffrey- bellman at Wild Orchid Preferred Sing for me again, Jeffrey!
Dwayne and Orville at Bordeaux
Carol and another fine young man at the cooking station for eggs during breakfast
Dannette and Mikaliah in the housekeeping department...great job ladies!
Patricia in the spa
Kerry Ann pool/beach area outside bar service So sweet!
Johanna Robies for her warm and welcoming communications
Warren who was our driver from Amstar
Deryk Meany who kept his guests informed and comfortable during the approaching storms
and
Emelio Huhn who does an amazing job of managing the staff at this beautiful resort. We really appreciated meeting you and your staff on this trip. Continued best wishes...

Room Tip: You might want to choose a room on the higher floors for a better view. Bring your sunscreen as the...
2 Thank lovinthebeachgirl
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,982 reviews
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa

Been to Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay? Share your experiences!