“Paradise!!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Illinois
“Paradise!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

I am late in sending this review but nothing can lessen the enthusiasm I have for this resort. I am a travel agent and I travel ALOT. This is one of the best resorts I have EVER stayed in. My boyfriend and I stayed at Secrets Wild Orchid in June 2012 and loved every minute of it. I has a very very hard time getting him to leave. Our room was on the 4th floor and faced the ocean. I know most people say the room is not a big deal but we loved it. The beach was gorgeous and always clean and the water was the clearest I have ever seen outside the Mediterranean. We had a bartender called Alvin who was FANTASTIC!!! Anything we needed we got, any question we had, he answered or found out for us. There is really not one bad thing I can say about this resort. Also have to say the Jamaican people are the happiest I have ever met. Always singing and making sure you are enjoying yourself. You could not help but have a great time. I have recommended it to many of my clients and booked several. Will definately go back and this time for a longer stay.

Room Tip: No rooms are bad but we enjoyed the rooms facing the pier. We watched the cruise ships going in and...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank scotlandillinois

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,319)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

My new husband and I went here for our honeymoon about two weeks ago! It was wonderful! We got the preferred club package - and since we were on our honeymoon- we got the honeymoon package for free. It included the romantic dinner on the beach (definitely do this, the meal was unreal and was so romantic!), couples massages, a body scrub and breakfast in bed. We loved the staff, all very friendly and accomodating! We would definitely go back... It is a little quiet on the preferred club side, which was great for a couple of days and then we needed a bit more liveliness! I think the next time we go back we are going to bring another couple with us!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Caitlyn G
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

This is by far the BEST all inclusive hotel I've stayed at. Not only is the hotel property well kept and incredibly clean but they also have great staff. Truly the key to their success is the outstanding customer service they provide to their clients. Here's my review broken down by category.

Room: Grade A. Great view and the room was serviced every day can't complain.

Food: Folks lets face it, it's all inclusive so the food is not always the best. But by far the food here is better than most other all inclusive I've stayed at. The Jamaican restaurant and the Japanese are my favorite. My least favorite was the French. The food arrived at my table cold and my lamb was fatty. The Bare Foot Bar was a great hit. Get the patties and grab some fruits from Stanley makes for a nice snack.

Customer Service: A+ Really great staff. I read on the reviews recommendations for their soursop cheese cake. Unfortunately, this item was no longer on their menu but the manager at the lunch buffet made arrangements for them to prepare one just for us. The cheesecake arrived at lunch time for us and it was delicious! Can't believe they did that.

Pool and Beach: Grade A. The pool area and its surroundings are very well kept and clean. The beach is also very beautiful. I spent most of my time relaxing under a palapa reading.

Bars: No watered down drinks here! They keep the drinks coming with a smile!

Entertainment: The beach party at night was lots of fun. They do try to provide various entertainment each night. I also enjoyed their club Desires, had a great time dancing the night away, not to mention the never ending rounds of shots that kept coming. Made for a great night...well, at least what I can remember of it. :)

Spa: Grade A. Loved the services the prices are comparable to what I pay here in LA. The staff conducting the spa service gets a B as I felt that she was rushing through the service.

Room Tip: Recommend the higher floors as you get a great view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
8 Thank damyd
Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

My mother-in-law sent my husband & I on our honeymoon to Secrets Montego Bay this past September. It was wonderful!! We could not have dreamed for a better experience. Upon our arrival we were greeted with champagne and escorted to our room. When we got off the elevator there was a "Honeymoon" banner that greeted us on our door. Once we got inside it was exactly what the website told us to expect...NO FALSE ADVERTISEMENTS. There were little sweet notes all over the room, 2 in particular were informing us that our champagne was chilling and to call whenever we wanted it and another was informing us that our champagne breakfast would be delivered whatever day and time that we wanted.

The hotel staff was awesome; their goal is to spoil you rotten! While everyone was nice, our favorites were Oraldo at The World Cafe, Ryon at The Portofino, and Dundelee, she was our personal waitress on our romantic sunset dinner. These guys went over and beyond to make our experience the best. Oraldo serenaded my husband and I during our lunch, it was so sweet, his voice had the attention of the entire restaurant. Ryon made sure we felt like we were the only people in the restaurant that night, he was on point! Dundelee was very sweet and attentive to our needs.

Our only con was the young lady that was waiting and taking drink orders on the beach. We were on the end that was quiet and relaxing, and it was maybe only 5 or 6 couples on that end, she spent all of her time where I guess she felt she could make her tips. So when we wanted service we walked to the bar and finally we just moved to the more "happening" end where the drinks were flowing!!! :)

Also, check out the food at The Portofino it is AWESOME!!! If my husband and I could have eaten there every night we would have, but we were trying to experience it all.

Our trip was AMAZING my mother-in-law outdid herself and had no idea that she had. Neither of us had visited the resort before and neither did we know anyone that had.

We will be visiting again soon and can't wait!

1 Thank Brittanae C
Richmond, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

Before I begin, I have stayed at Secrets Maroma Beach In Mexico as well, and it was amazing... This resort was absolutely terrible.

We arrived on a Tuesday. Check in went smooth, room was available right away.
Room 2308 - GREAT VIEW but
- Room was dusty,
- air conditioner had not been running,
- there were no glasses to drink from
- refrigerator was set to the warmest setting.
- Towels smelled "old"
- It was obvious this room had not occupied for a while.
- Light bulb in the ceiling was out
- In room speakers did not work

That night we wanted to eat light because we had been traveling all day. The World Cafe Salad bar was emtpy at 8:30. NO Lettuce. The staple of a salad not there. he other veggies were sparse. We had to ask 3 people and wait 25 minutes for them to fill the lettuce and Ranch Dressing. They stopped at the lettuce and ranch. Nothing else filled.

Day two. Why do they have a privacy light i the room? Do not disturb light is on, yet they knock to see if we need anything. Romantic morning ruined.
I wish I would have just let them in, as we left shortly after, and our room was never restocked or cleaned that day.

Around the resort we noticed it looked very old and needed repairs. A small foutain out of order, full of trash/mildew.

Pool and Beach were nice. This is where we learned a VERY valuable lesson. The bartenders here do not appreciate tips for excellent service. They EXPECT tips before they give you decent service. If you swim/walk up to the bar, and someone with cash in hand walks up behind you, they will take your order, then theirs, and deliver their drink first. So much for all inclusive. We went to the ATM.

Barefoot Grill is a JOKE. Hot dogs on a roller machine, nachos with cheese from a pump can.

Started to rain in the evening. This is when we discovered we had no umbrella in our room either. Back to the front desk.

Dinner that night - El Patio. This was the absolute worst dining of the entire week. We walked up with drinks in hand. IT took 20 minutes before our water was poured. We ordered then.
We sat there for 45 minutes to get our salad. It took another hour to get our dinner. We watched two couples get up and leave after they overheard the waitress tell us that our order would take time because we ordered the chicken, and then turned around and told them theirs would take longer because they ordered the Steak. It's one thing to drop the ball, but do not lie. I got up ad went to the Piano bar to get more drinks (about 25 yards away) as the drink I got was the wrong one... ordered by the people who got tired of waiting and left.
To Top it all off my Fajitas came out cool on a REGULAR plate. Within about 5 minutes, a couple that had only been seated for 20 minutes or so received their Fajitas, on a SIZZLING PLATE.

Day 3. Non motorized Snorkeling (included in your unlimited luxury) cancelled due to choppy waters. Motorized Snorkeling (30 minutes later, and you have to PAY EXTRA) in full swing.

Finally today our room got cleaned, but no towels? And instead of a re-filled Mini bar, a note to call if we needed anything. They opened the fridge, saw NO WATER, and put in a note? Why not put in water?

We ate a light early dinner to avoid the same disappointment as the previous night. Went well at Seaside.

Decided to call room service as we ate light dinner and had munchies. No answer for about 15 minutes and 3 calls. Finally got through. 45 Minutes. Food was cold. Fries were especially worthless.

Day 4. Privacy light on--- ring ring ring.. I went to the door to greet them in my underwear just to check to see if the light was actually on. It was. And we needed towels, so I got her to give me a couple. - That would be the last of cleaning service we would see that day.

Snorkeling - Once again free snorkeling cancelled, but the paid snorkeling 30 minutes later is on?

Entertainment was good. Dinner at Bordeaux was good. Not Great, not a disappointment. Just good.

We checked out Desires this night. Finally some real fun. The Bartenders here are great. Its a good time for all.

Back to the room... Trying to call room service to get refilled on bottled water and coffee packs for the coffee maker. No answer. 45 minutes... no answer. Went to the front desk. They tried to call room service. No answer. They called someone on a cell phone. No answer. They asked what we wanted, and told us someone would bring it up to us when they could get in touch with someone. No apology, no explanation. 30 minutes they were there with 2 bottles of water and a pitcher of prepared coffee.

We gave up on calling room service for the rest of the trip.

Please keep in mind through all of this, we tipped a total of three hundred and fifty bucks between bartenders, room service, and wait staff.

Final night.... Himitsu.... Excellent. Great food, entertaining. You have to make reservations early in the week to sit at the table. Do it the day you get there. This is a must do if you are still considering going to this resort.

All in all I was completely let down by this hotel. Secrets Maroma Beach in Mexico had wait staff that brought you food samples in your chair by the pool... We never got up or even asked for food. They even brought around different drinks we had never tried and loved.. they got us hooked on new things, and were truly working to make us happy.... they worked hard and were appreciative of tips is the bottom line. They did not EXPECT it like in Jamaica. The entertainment staff was phenomenal in Mexico. The Secrets name was well represented in Maroma Beach... a FAR CRY from the Montego Bay Wild Orchid or Saint James. (Saint James and Wild Orchid are the same. All the same restaurants, pools, etc. No real benefit to either, except that the price will be cheaper one day at one, then the other the next when you are booking.

Bottom line. I'm not sure I would ever stay another Secrets. I'm not sure which one was the isolated incident, and I'm not willing to gamble thousands of dollars again to find out.

IF you are looking for a place to get your fill of adult beverages and can be happy with being drunk and look past everything else.... you will be ok.

If this is your honeymoon and you don't know any better, you will have a great experience, but just know that there is better out there.
If you have ever stayed at a GREAT HOTEL and have any expectation of romance, relaxation, and "Unlimited LUXURY" Look elsewhere, this is not it.

Secrets still owes us the unlimited luxury vacation we paid for, and then paid more for when we arrived as far as I am concerned.

(ALSO to get from the airport to the resort and back book with ONCE STOP VACATIONS... they had the cheapest price on a PRIVATE car for just me and my wife direct transfer both ways... Our trip to the airport was 20 minutes. Others who took the bus were 1 hour to the hotel and 45 minutes to the airport with all of the stops and pickups.)

Room Tip: View from 2308 was Great, faces the beach, so no noise from the resort, but room quality sucked. Ri...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
11 Thank mlipscomb923
West Mifflin, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

Traveled to Montego Bay from Sept. 22 to 29, 2012 and stayed at Secrets Wild Orchid. Can't say enough good things about the resort. The place is beautiful and very clean. The staff go out of their way to make you feel like you are a VIP. Great selection of restaurants. You can use the facilities at Secrets St. James also which connects to Wild Orchid. Talked to other guests and they said basically there was no difference between the 2 resorts. Most said it was not necessary to upgrade to the Preferred Club. Beaches were beautiful. I thought the St. James Beach was a little nicer. You could walk from one beach to the other. Pools were great. You can relax at the quieter pools or go to the pools with the swim up bars. Entertainment at night was pretty good. I just can't say enough good things about the place. You could drink anything you wanted. Even top shelf alcohol. As everyone says, the Jerk Chicken cart is a must. The Jamaican people are so nice and helpful. My advice to you - stay at a Secrets and you will never be sorry. Yo Mon.

Room Tip: All rooms have ocean view. We were on the 4th floor of building 2. Great location. Elevator servi...
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

The staff is top notch. We upgraded to the Preferred Club and was able to make our own top shelf drinks in the Preferred Club lobby such as Grey Goose. Preferred Club doesn't have preferred seating, but that really wasn't a problem. Must try the Chicken guy who takes his grill around the resort making the best jerk chicken. Wraps were really good for a light lunch where you can include anything you want in it. Restaurants were great except the Jamaican and Mexican restaurants. Room service was quick and the menu is extensive. Would go back in a heartbeat. Spa was Burke Williams quality and decently priced for what you get. Room came fully stocked and liquor in your room. In the room, they had nice soaps, shave gel, shampoo and sunscreen.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,982 reviews
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa

Been to Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay? Share your experiences!